HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weight trade rumors (before the trade)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
yentlmania

vCash: 500
The ongoing issue of where Weight is going turns on 3 pts: A contender needing a centre; said contender having cap space ( not the $5.7mm but the pro rata amount at the trade deadline) and whether the NTC will be waived.

If you follow the game closely and avoid playing the 'homer' , realistically there are 5 Western teams that can be considered contenders to make the finals : (as of now): Detroit, Nashville,Calgary, Edmonton and Vcr. Putting my feelings aside, Detroit is the best candidate but they are not unassailable ( sp?). The 4 other teams need a front line centre. All are built for the playoffs to some degree, all could win now, Nashville being the one least likely based on overall youth/experience. All 4 want Weight to a degree and all 4 have relative cap space, agreed we might need to take a salary on. If you are weight, do you waive the NTC for any 1 of those teams? Or all? I would say all at this stage, given a solid playoff with a contender will provide for a good contract reneg.

On the east side, my belief is it comes down to Sens or Flyers, whoever is healthier...the gap to those 2 and the rest is not as tight as in the West , where a key player could make all the difference. So they are not as motivated as the 4 Western teams noted...right now, but if 1 or ther other makes a move... then do the cap game, both are tight. But both would see Weight waive the NTC and both would benefit from the cap injury out clause.

The Blues are in good shape to command a good price for Weight as long as he agrees to waive the NTC. Mgmt needs to make it easy for him to waive it.

Lastly the Brewer deal will see Ryder +#2 come this way. Habs have many decent wingers and I would prefer Higgins or Pereshogin or Latendresse but that will not happen. Riberio is a centre and as we are starting to see, there are glimpses of hope at centre throughout the org ( Cajanek moved to 2nd line, McC, Backes, Oshie) and potential centres as UFA : Richards,Savard that could help. We need wingers...so if Habs won't move a good young winger then, say hello Buffalo, Eric.

Old
01-01-2006, 09:56 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Naslund and Bertuzzi haven't been scoring consistently? Since when? As for Carter, he's been consistent thus far this season, I see no reason for that to change, especially considering he's playing with the Sedins. All he basically has to do is be in front of the net and the Sedins will get him the puck. I see no problem whatsoever there.
Oh i did not know that scoring in the last ten games or so means consistent over the year, as well keep thinking that it is the Sedin's that make that line - how good where their point totals prior to Carter getting there, enough said - as said before when he turns into a ghost so will the Sedins

Old
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak
Oh i did not know that scoring in the last ten games or so means consistent over the year, as well keep thinking that it is the Sedin's that make that line - how good where their point totals prior to Carter getting there, enough said - as said before when he turns into a ghost so will the Sedins
LOL, you're too good. So the top line has only been scoring over the past 10 games? We'll, they're averaging just over a PPG over the last 10 games, yet Naslund is averaging over a PPG during the season while Bertuzzi is right at a PPG and Morrison is just under a PPG. If that's not consistency, I don't know what is.

As for the Sedin comment, either you haven't watched the Sedins much or you are ignorant. The Sedins create the majority of the chances on their line(no shock there) and have set up so many tap ins for Carter this year it's rediculous. Ask any Canucks' fan how many times Carter has had a wide open net, courtesy of the twins, only to fan on the shot and not score. Sure Carter is a great compliment for them and he has helped increase their production, but in no way, shape or form is he the principle reason for that lines success.

Could the Sedins' continued development as well as increased ice-time be the reason for their increase in production? Of course not, it's the addition of the "floater" who put up 28 points in the last NHL season that is carrying that line! Give your head a shake...

Old
01-01-2006, 10:36 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
LOL, you're too good. So the top line has only been scoring over the past 10 games? We'll, they're averaging just over a PPG over the last 10 games, yet Naslund is averaging over a PPG during the season while Bertuzzi is right at a PPG and Morrison is just under a PPG. If that's not consistency, I don't know what is.

As for the Sedin comment, either you haven't watched the Sedins much or you are ignorant. The Sedins create the majority of the chances on their line(no shock there) and have set up so many tap ins for Carter this year it's rediculous. Ask any Canucks' fan how many times Carter has had a wide open net, courtesy of the twins, only to fan on the shot and not score. Sure Carter is a great compliment for them and he has helped increase their production, but in no way, shape or form is he the principle reason for that lines success.

Could the Sedins' continued development as well as increased ice-time be the reason for their increase in production? Of course not, it's the addition of the "floater" who put up 28 points in the last NHL season that is carrying that line! Give your head a shake...
All of a sudden the Sedin sisters have found that magical development fountain where there point totals jump considerable over their previous years, but yeah it must not be the inclusion of Carter that has helped them.

You want to talk about stats well lets look at them Naslund is scoring goals (at best) one goal every two games and I will not even go into the amazing goal scoring numbers that the other two have and when you look and combined they have scored in just about half of the games with the bulk of that comming in the last 10 games - but that is consistent. This is even giving them more credit than they deserve since I am not taking into account that some of them are PP goals in which any team that has a man advantage should be able to score once in a while.

Old
01-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
All of a sudden the Sedin sisters have found that magical development fountain where there point totals jump considerable over their previous years, but yeah it must not be the inclusion of Carter that has helped them.
Daniel scored 54 points last season while playing around 13.5 min a game. This year he's on pace for 62 points while playing just under 16 min/game. Henrik scored 42 points last season while playing around 14 min/game. This season he's on pace for 71 points while playing 16 min/game. Adding in the natural development of younger players, as well as the added ice-time, over 2 min/game each, and I really don't see how this is so hard to believe.

If you honestly feel that Anson Carter is the sole reason for the Sedins breakout this year, you're not even worth discussing with.

Quote:
You want to talk about stats well lets look at them Naslund is scoring goals (at best) one goal every two games and I will not even go into the amazing goal scoring numbers that the other two have and when you look and combined they have scored in just about half of the games with the bulk of that comming in the last 10 games - but that is consistent.
So being on pace for 45 goals and 100 points is no longer good. Since when is scoring at just over a PPG over the last 10 games the "bulk of their scoring" for the year? They're averaging a PPG for the season and over the last 10 games they've scored at a PPG. Where's the discrepancy there? Are you arguing with me just for the helluva it?

Quote:
This is even giving them more credit than they deserve since I am not taking into account that some of them are PP goals in which any team that has a man advantage should be able to score once in a while.
So PP goals mean less to the team? Quit grasping at straws, this is embarrassing. If you want to continue this, feel free to PM me, I'm not going to waste any more board space with this garbage.

Old
01-01-2006, 11:26 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

well totally off topic, the Sedins are benifitting from the new rules. Less obstruction means the sisters get mugged less.

-I am very curious to see how Weight and Iginla would play...I think the Western Conference could be in serious trouble if Iggy ever got a legitimate #1 Center.
-Weight and Pronger playing for the Oil...well if the rumours were true about the animosity between these two, that would be a locker room killer for Edmonton.
-anyone want to see Bochenski come back from Ottawa of Weight goes there?

Old
01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Wally112pac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Khabibulin was mentioned as a guy who *could* backstop a team to the Cup back in '97 and '98 - not many believed it, but there was a decent minority who did.

I've yet to hear anyone sat Cloutier is capable of backstopping a team to the Cup. And yeah - he's 30 in April. Cash is 23 right now. In 3 years, Cash will definitely be on the rise, he'll be a much better goaltender than he is right now. Cloutier? I don't see him getting *better*, he'll have to rehab the knee before he can get back to the point he was at this season - and that could take up to a year. IMO there's a better chance he's at least no better in 3 years than he was pre-injury, an ever better chance he's worse.
That wasn't really what was said earlier.

"Cloutier would be on the decline in 3 years"

Goalies are usually in their prime in the early 30's.

His rehab won't take a year if he's back by the end of the regular season.

Old
01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac
That wasn't really what was said earlier.

"Cloutier would be on the decline in 3 years"

Goalies are usually in their prime in the early 30's.

His rehab won't take a year if he's back by the end of the regular season.
In 3 years, Bacashihua will be at least as good if not better (and still getting better) than Cloutier even if Cloutier is in his prime. In 3 years, I expect this team to be solidly back into playoff contention. Cloutier does *nothing* to make me (or any other Blues fan, for that matter) think that if the Blues got to the playoffs, he could carry them to the Cup. If you go out on the main board and ask how many people think Cloutier can backstop a team to the Cup, you'll get a lot of comments saying he'll *never* be able to. You'll find *very few* saying he could.

The point P_B and I are trying to make is that we've had mediocre goaltenders. Trust us - we've seen a whole slew of them over the last 5-7 years. Cloutier is a mediocre goaltender, and we've had enough playoff trips with mediocrity in net to realize we don't need a goalie like Cloutier trying to carry the team.

01-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentlmania
Lastly the Brewer deal will see Ryder +#2 come this way. Habs have many decent wingers and I would prefer Higgins or Pereshogin or Latendresse but that will not happen. Riberio is a centre and as we are starting to see, there are glimpses of hope at centre throughout the org ( Cajanek moved to 2nd line, McC, Backes, Oshie) and potential centres as UFA : Richards,Savard that could help. We need wingers...so if Habs won't move a good young winger then, say hello Buffalo, Eric.
They won't move Ryder. Zednik could be had for Brewer? Zednik and a pick or prospect.

How has Brewer been playing lately?

Old
01-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
i read on another ottawa senators' message board that (according to hockeytraderumours.com) ottawa was dangling vermette and a prospect or draft pick for doug weight - personally, i'd hope something else was coming back for ottawa.
Ottawa offered

Lee
Smokes
Vermette
1st rd pick 06

To Ottawa
Weight
1 other player

Old
01-02-2006, 07:36 AM
RangersFan88*

just keep weight far away from NY
thanks

Old
01-02-2006, 07:37 AM
RangersFan88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
Ottawa offered

Lee
Smokes
Vermette
1st rd pick 06

To Ottawa
Weight
1 other player
if ottawa takes weight they are crazy
just keep the team how it is
the're tearing *** !!! big time !!!
weight whould be just a big minus

Old
01-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Ottawa offered

Lee
Smokes
Vermette
1st rd pick 06

To Ottawa
Weight
1 other player
Let's see who that other player from St. Louis is - other than Backman and Jackman I'd be willing to consider anyone else. The only problem I see is with Smolinski's contract - he's signed through 2007 at $1.786M per, giving him one of those dreaded long-term contracts Laurie is convinced will hurt the team's chances of selling quickly. New ownership might not have a problem - but as long as Laurie still owns the team, I can see his advisors freaking out.

Old
01-02-2006, 10:11 AM
yentlmania

Lee,Smokes, Vermette do not address our need for young forwards. A deal could be had if you replaced the foregoing with Eaves, Schaefer, Bochenski and included the 1st. Weight + Weino is my presumption; if they want Drake then the price increases accordingly. Smokes at 34 yrs of age has no interest to us unless he comes part of Sens improving their other players ( Mezaros in, Smokes and Eaves?).

Old
01-02-2006, 10:27 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Ottawa offered

Lee
Smokes
Vermette
1st rd pick 06

To Ottawa
Weight
1 other player
That is a ridiculous overpayment for a one year rental second line center. There is absolutely no way Ottawa would ever offer this trade.

Old
01-02-2006, 10:29 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yentlmania
Lee,Smokes, Vermette do not address our need for young forwards. A deal could be had if you replaced the foregoing with Eaves, Schaefer, Bochenski and included the 1st. Weight + Weino is my presumption; if they want Drake then the price increases accordingly. Smokes at 34 yrs of age has no interest to us unless he comes part of Sens improving their other players ( Mezaros in, Smokes and Eaves?).
Let me just say this. There is no way that Ottawa will trade either Meszaros, Eaves or Brian Lee, and frankly, every one of them would be an overpayment for Doug Weight.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
If the usual suspects didn't like Johnson, Osgood and Lalime in net, they're going to hate Cloutier.

Morrison is signed for 3 years at $3.2M per, Cloutier is signed for next season at $2.5M. I don't see Laurie allowing Pleau to make this trade (ooh ooh, there's a long-term contract involved - get it away!) and I don't see Weight waiving the NTC to go to Vancouver. Besides, Cloutier in net for the Blues doesn't exactly inspire thoughts of Mike Liut in the early 80s.

I still think it'll come down to Philadelphia or Ottawa wanting Weight, with Toronto or Nashville as longshots - and the team basically asking Weight to waive the NTC so he can go try to win a Cup now and help the Blues for the future.
wrong. he will.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:17 PM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Ottawa offered

Lee
Smokes
Vermette
1st rd pick 06

To Ottawa
Weight
1 other player
not sure where you heard that, but it's crazy.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:

You want to talk about stats well lets look at them Naslund is scoring goals (at best) one goal every two games and I will not even go into the amazing goal scoring numbers that the other two have and when you look and combined they have scored in just about half of the games with the bulk of that comming in the last 10 games - but that is consistent. This is even giving them more credit than they deserve since I am not taking into account that some of them are PP goals in which any team that has a man advantage should be able to score once in a while.

this is a prime example of how some people should just shut their yap when it comes to discussing other teams personnel

Old
01-02-2006, 02:36 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Quote:

keep posting on your own team, you obviously know very little about the Canucks.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
That is a ridiculous overpayment for a one year rental second line center. There is absolutely no way Ottawa would ever offer this trade.
Ottawa is trying to dump salary right now for the summer.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
brucegarrioch

Quote:
Ottawa is trying to dump salary right now for the summer.
a) the only ones making money in that deal are smolinski and vermette - combined they make ~ two million.

b) i don't think ottawa will drop salary before the playoffs (especially when they take on more salary in acquiring weight and someone else).

Old
01-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddik
wrong. he will.
I'll put $20 down right now that after the trade deadline passes, Weight is not a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

Old
01-02-2006, 10:58 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
I'll put $20 down right now that after the trade deadline passes, Weight is not a member of the Vancouver Canucks.
well you have the advantage on that bet...you want to at least give me 20:1 odds?

Old
01-02-2006, 11:39 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
well you have the advantage on that bet...you want to at least give me 20:1 odds?

::raises hand::

Me too!! Me too!!

Closed Thread