HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Weight trade rumors (before the trade)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2006, 10:50 AM
  #101
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
3 years ago we went to the conference finals and lost to the Cup champs with 2 minutes left in game 7. hardly anything to be ashamed of, disappointing yes....tragic...hardly.

tragic is making the playoffs 25 years in a row and accomplishing a big fat ZERO.
It was disappointing but considering it was the our best playoff result ever there was a reason the hometown crowd gave them a standing ovation at the end of the game.

You may think you understand as it seems like a tribute to mediocrity which as a St Louis fan you would well understand.
OK, first of all, the Senators have accomplished absolutely nothing more in the playoffs than the Blues have. They made the conference finals once in recent years, so have the Blues.

And you can consider yourself warned for the digs at St. Louis fans, like the highlighted above, and this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
Good lord what's with you? i disagree with the value you place on Sillinger (along with everyone else here) and i get a 3 year olds psychological deconstruction of the Senators as an organization and their fanbase not to mention some nonsensical babble about taxpayer cash?

Are you seriously taking shots at the Sens and their lack of success???
I probably should remind you that you are a St Louis Blues fan and as such are home to the most useless team in the NHL, with a long and glorious history of accomplishing nothing.
Don't post anything like this again on this board.

P_B


Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 02:53 PM
  #102
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Right. im sure you will be warning yentle for similar comments, including "the lack of heart", "playoff implosion", me having "little more than a passing interest in the game" because i disagree with a player evaluation. among others.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
  #103
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I could see the Flyers getting Weight.
The Flyers don't need more centers.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 04:40 PM
  #104
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
Right. im sure you will be warning yentle for similar comments, including "the lack of heart", "playoff implosion", me having "little more than a passing interest in the game" because i disagree with a player evaluation. among others.
I suggest you leave the moderating to the moderators. I also suggest you not push it. Everyone here has been given a fair amount of leeway here and been allowed to make comments that might not fly in other places. I'm not in the mood at the moment to split hairs, and I'm really not in the mood to be questioned.

It goes for everyone else. Stick to the topic at hand.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
  #105
Guy Legend
Registered User
 
Guy Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
From TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=149669&hubname=nhl

Quote:
Blues C Doug Weight, though to be top trade chip for the Blues, will apparently be more active in shopping Weight once the sale of the team is completed, according to the Toronto Sun. In the Vancouver Province, Weight acknowledged that he's heard Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton could be among the teams interested in his services, and he added that he's gladly join the contending Canucks too
When did he say this?

Guy Legend is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 04:51 PM
  #106
Blueski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I suggest you leave the moderating to the moderators. I also suggest you not push it. Everyone here has been given a fair amount of leeway here and been allowed to make comments that might not fly in other places. I'm not in the mood at the moment to split hairs, and I'm really not in the mood to be questioned.

It goes for everyone else. Stick to the topic at hand.
If...if...if...if..ahhh...OH...if we leave the room, can he come with us???

Blueski is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
  #107
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Note that the 2nd half of the report is out of the Vancouver paper - right now, I'm taking the "he'd gladly join the contending Canucks" part with a grain of salt, but I'm not completely discounting it.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
  #108
yentlmania
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
IB, PB honest apologies for my part in taking this thread to where it has ended up. I have been a long time reader and have just recently been posting. I feel there is a general underestimation of the value of Blues veterans that will be available in this yrs deadline but time will tell. Regardless, I appreciate this forum and its civility and do not want to take away from it.

yentlmania is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
  #109
sundstrom32*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
The devils could use a guy like weight; but by reading all your post it sounds like it is a goalie you desire.

and we have nobody but broduer and I can't see the devs parting w/him for just weight.

do you think the blues would give up weight for some prospects??

sundstrom32* is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 10:18 PM
  #110
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundstrom32
The devils could use a guy like weight; but by reading all your post it sounds like it is a goalie you desire.

and we have nobody but broduer and I can't see the devs parting w/him for just weight.

do you think the blues would give up weight for some prospects??
I don't think the Blues are looking for a goalie; they have Sanford and Bacashihua already, with Beckford-Tseu, Barulin and Schwarz in the pipeline, and Ben Bishop a freshman at Maine.

Think defense and scoring forwards.

And absolutely, the Blues would move Weight for prospects, but not until the deadline, and probably not to the Devils unless they were able to get back into serious "contender" status.

Weight for Pikkarainen, Ahonen, and a pick?

P_B


Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 09:03 AM
  #111
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski
If...if...if...if..ahhh...OH...if we leave the room, can he come with us???
heh, brilliant.

-You just stay here and make sure that he doesn't leave the room until I get back.

Right, he is not to leave the room unless you, or someone else...

-No, just me.

just you..

-get back.

get back.

-Well where are you going?

We're coming with you.

WalterSobchak is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
  #112
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
I don't think the Blues are looking for a goalie; they have Sanford and Bacashihua already, with Beckford-Tseu, Barulin and Schwarz in the pipeline, and Ben Bishop a freshman at Maine.

Think defense and scoring forwards.

And absolutely, the Blues would move Weight for prospects, but not until the deadline, and probably not to the Devils unless they were able to get back into serious "contender" status.

Weight for Pikkarainen, Ahonen, and a pick?

P_B

The Devils have no cap room.

Side note, why not move Sillinger to Buffalo for Biron? I know we have Cash and Snaford, but niether is ready to assume the full time starting role. Biron, IMO, would be a nice addition.

Frenzy1 is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 03:06 PM
  #113
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
The Devils have no cap room.
After getting rid of Malakhov, McGillis and Mogilny, the Devils absolutely have cap room even when you consider Elias is back. They have about $4 million or so of cap room.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 08:17 PM
  #114
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Here is an article from an Ottawa paper.


http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...7/1384448.html


Weights agent leaves one with the impression he would only waive his ntc for a team that had a crack at the cup.

What teams do the people on this board think that would realistically include?


I know the Flames have a few center ice prospects and a need for a center on the Iginla line. The addition of Weight may well put them over the top. What would the chances of that be?

abracanada is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 08:49 PM
  #115
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Here is an article from an Ottawa paper.


http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...7/1384448.html


Weights agent leaves one with the impression he would only waive his ntc for a team that had a crack at the cup.

What teams do the people on this board think that would realistically include?
I agree with his agent - he'll only waive it for a very good shot at the cup. Teams I think fall into the list of "could win the Cup in 2006":

Ottawa
Philadelphia
Calgary
Dallas

Until Detroit picks it up against teams outside the division (they're 13-1 vs. the Central, 15-10-3 against everyone else), I have them in the 2nd tier. I also have Nashville, Carolina, and Buffalo in the "could be close" list. Everyone else has a big enough hole in the team (mostly in net - see Vancouver, Edmonton, Colorado, and Tampa Bay) that I think they can't be considered legit contenders right now.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
  #116
abracanada
Registered User
 
abracanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I agree with his agent - he'll only waive it for a very good shot at the cup. Teams I think fall into the list of "could win the Cup in 2006":

Ottawa
Philadelphia
Calgary
Dallas

Until Detroit picks it up against teams outside the division (they're 13-1 vs. the Central, 15-10-3 against everyone else), I have them in the 2nd tier. I also have Nashville, Carolina, and Buffalo in the "could be close" list. Everyone else has a big enough hole in the team (mostly in net - see Vancouver, Edmonton, Colorado, and Tampa Bay) that I think they can't be considered legit contenders right now.
One of the biggest advantages of adding a player like Weight, is that he is a popular guy, and he has paid his dues. He is the type that can spur a team on to win one for the gipper. Teams on a mission, are easier to motivate.

abracanada is offline  
Old
01-13-2006, 02:03 PM
  #117
senskickass12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBleeder
This is what i'd like to see coming back to the Blues for our players

Weight - 2nd and a good forward prospect
Salvador - 4th
Weinrich - 4th
Drake - 3rd
Sillinger - 2nd,
Brewer - 2nd and a good prospect or a 1st and 5th
I think that seems like a reasonable asking price. Vermette and Bochenski from Ottawa have already been mentioned. I see Lee and Eaves as overpayments and I don't see the Sens interested in trading Kaigorodov either. I've heard Igor Mirnov (C) and Kirill Lyamin (D) mentioned on the Sens board. Maybe Ilia Zubov (C) as well. Would St. Louis have any interest in those 3 players? (Obviously not straight up but in some kind of package) I don't know what your defense situation is like and it doesn't appear you need centres but except for those already mentioned I don't think there'd be much interest in the rest of our wingers. Drake interests me as well. I don't watch many Blues games so if I suggested one of Zubov/Lyamin/Mirnov + 2nd round pick + Bochenski and another later round pick for Drake + Weight would that be underrating the St. Louis players too much? Keep in mind chances are they'd only be rental players so the Sens aren't going to be willing to sell the farm.

senskickass12 is offline  
Old
01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
  #118
Clutch Mediocrity
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
From TSN, Weight has denied asking for a trade.
However, he also added a trade would also not be a bad thing either in the right situation. But again, stressed Weight, he's not looking to leave St. Louis. He wants people to know that. He was asked about the Sens in particular and they certainly to be a team he'd consider. Some quotes:

Quote:
"At no time have I received any inclination or prodding from the organization to think about my no-trade clause or think about these rumours that are out there right now," Weight said from Atlanta, where his team faced the Thrashers on Friday night.
Quote:
"As a professional and as a teammate, even though it's downright abysmal here right now, I have to be focused on playing the best I can every night for my teammates and coaches. I'm a loyal player on this team."
Quote:
"For sure, of course. I want to win," Weight said. "And if that means taking a chance somewhere, then so be it. I'd love to do it in St. Louis, but maybe that can happen down the road.
Quote:
"But if I have that opportunity, I'd be crazy not to consider that."
Quote:
"I will say this, if it comes down to having to make that decision, you look at a team like that, with the two Danny's (Alfredsson and Heatley) and Jason (Spezza), they're very well coached, the defencemen are talented with (Zdeno) Chara, (Chris) Phillips and (Wade) Redden - and you've got Dominik (Hasek) at the back and he's still playing for one reason.

"It's certainly an attractive spot. But I've heard a lot of different teams. You have to see what the team likes about you and what they want to do with you."
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150643&hubname=

Clutch Mediocrity is offline  
Old
01-13-2006, 05:34 PM
  #119
Guy Legend
Registered User
 
Guy Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man.Utd
From TSN, Weight has denied asking for a trade.
However, he also added a trade would also not be a bad thing either in the right situation. But again, stressed Weight, he's not looking to leave St. Louis. He wants people to know that. He was asked about the Sens in particular and they certainly to be a team he'd consider. Some quotes:


http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150643&hubname=
After reading that, it looks as though the NTC won't be an obstacle. If the Blues work out a deal with a good team, he's as good as gone.

Guy Legend is offline  
Old
01-14-2006, 02:05 AM
  #120
milieu bluez
Registered User
 
milieu bluez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: 1st shift (Finally)
Country: United States
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
Ive started a post on Ottawas site to get their opinion come check it out and help me pry Lee away from them

milieu bluez is offline  
Old
01-14-2006, 04:05 PM
  #121
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
After getting rid of Malakhov, McGillis and Mogilny, the Devils absolutely have cap room even when you consider Elias is back. They have about $4 million or so of cap room.
heh, even with Malakhov retired and Mogilny in the minors, perhaps retired, the Devils are still on the hook for their salaries against the cap.

McKenzie: Careful signing Veterans

Quote:
It could be worse, though. It could be the New Jersey Devils, which no matter what happens with Mogilny and Malakhov -- aside from a trade, that is - are going to eat up $7.1 million in cap room next year for two players who quite likely will be retired. Mogilny's salary of $3.5 million and Malakhov's $3.6 million are going to put the Devils behind the salary cap eight ball next year, even if they're not actually paying them.

WalterSobchak is offline  
Old
01-14-2006, 04:24 PM
  #122
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox
heh, even with Malakhov retired and Mogilny in the minors, perhaps retired, the Devils are still on the hook for their salaries against the cap.

McKenzie: Careful signing Veterans
That's next year. Next year, the Devils are over the barrel unless the league decides to let them off the hook (and draw the wrath of 29 other GM's in the process). Currently, neither of those guys counts against the cap.

Irish Blues is offline  
Old
01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
  #123
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Gutter Alley
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
That's next year. Next year, the Devils are over the barrel unless the league decides to let them off the hook (and draw the wrath of 29 other GM's in the process). Currently, neither of those guys counts against the cap.
ok, well with it all but guaranteed that Weight would be nothing more than a rental because I do not see the League breaking it's own rules the first year of a newly negotiated CBA, coupled with the fact that New Jersey is scraping away for 8th position, I don't see New Jersey making any major "buying" moves.

Now selling moves...

WalterSobchak is offline  
Old
01-15-2006, 10:50 AM
  #124
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
In the Philly papers they say the Flyers are going after Weight and that Eklund guy said they appear to be the favorite. Any word in St Louis on the latest in this saga? Also do you think you guys will trade Brewer and what will it take. Was discussing this on the Flyers board and would like some opinions. a package of Weight and Brewer would be awesome but very doubtful.

jb** is offline  
Old
01-15-2006, 11:19 AM
  #125
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
In the Philly papers they say the Flyers are going after Weight and that Eklund guy said they appear to be the favorite. Any word in St Louis on the latest in this saga? Also do you think you guys will trade Brewer and what will it take. Was discussing this on the Flyers board and would like some opinions. a package of Weight and Brewer would be awesome but very doubtful.
We're not hearing anything right now - we'd love to hear what everyone else is saying, though. Scratch Brewer, though - he's out for who knows how long with a dislocated shoulder suffered in the Atlanta game.

Irish Blues is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.