HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weight trade rumors (before the trade)

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2006, 02:25 PM
trentmccleary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
I'm sure it would be an inconvenience for DW to be traded right before he is to pack for Italy.
Why would another team want to give Doug Weight a couple of paychecks for playing in Turin? ... He'll be traded after the Olympic break.

Old
01-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Could NJ even fit a move like this under their cap? Does LA need to do this?
Don't know if we need Weight or not, but when Mogilny was waived, we were somewhere in the neighborhood of 300K under the cap with Elias back. Just for simple math, let's say half of Mogilny's 3.5 million dollar salary for the year got freed up, so there's an extra 1.7 million subtract ~500K for whichever AHLer we happened to call up to fill that forward spot (apparently that's Jason Ryznar this week).

I remember reading that Weight's cap charge around the deadline would be a little over a million. I'd imagine that if we got Weight, we'd also dump Viktor Kozlov for a pick elsewhere. So given the cap, it is possible, but not probable that we'd go after Weight....at least if I were in charge.

Old
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez_cluez
Ecklund has Weight going to Ottawa (e4)

e4 = highest rating on trade rumor but remember its still a rumor

Anyway he also mentioned that some other teams remain interested but Ottawa as of yesterday was way in the lead. He also says that the reason Philly dropped out was that the price was just too high.

Now i know its too early to get excited but if the price was too high for Philly who has a tone of extra picks and several good prospects perhaps we are going to get a realy good deal coming our way. I hope so
apparently too much for Philly was Seidenberg and Eager, so dont get ahead of yourself. Seidenberg and Eager might get vermette and a med-low prospect

Old
01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Why would another team want to give Doug Weight a couple of paychecks for playing in Turin? ... He'll be traded after the Olympic break.
My thoughts exactly. If there's a deal too good to pass up, that's one thing - but I doubt anyone wanting Weight is going to reach for him now unless they *really* want to make sure that someone else doesn't snap him up first.

Besides, there's "rumor has it that (insert team's name here) is offering ..." and what that team is really offering (usually no more than half of what the rumor says). Keep that in mind.

01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

that was my point.....if there's a deal that's too good to pass up, the Larry better make the deal ASAP....so evidently the deal is not as strong as rumored or else it would be finalized by now. Larry knows there's a lot to lose it DW gets injured @ the Olympics......unfortunately, other GM's also will probably be waiting to make sure he survives Tourin unscathed before making the investment in Dougie.

I just want Larry to seal the deal, not get greedy and take a package that he is happy with......rather than try to get more and ultimately screw up the deal. It would make little sense for some other team to acquire him before the Olympics.....but if I'm Larry Pleau I try to get this thing hammered out as soon as I find a return that is suitable....

Old
01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Irish Blues

Agreed. When the deal is agreed upon, don't pull the "I want him to play one last game at home" stunt that Glen Sather pulled with Mike Richter in 2001 when the Rangers and Blues had a deal worked out to get Richter to St. Louis for the '01 playoffs; Richter went out in that "final home game at MSG" and blew out his knee, killing the deal.

Old
01-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
Agreed. When the deal is agreed upon, don't pull the "I want him to play one last game at home" stunt that Glen Sather pulled with Mike Richter in 2001 when the Rangers and Blues had a deal worked out to get Richter to St. Louis for the '01 playoffs; Richter went out in that "final home game at MSG" and blew out his knee, killing the deal.
That's the only thing scaring me about holding off. If the return is good now, pull the trigger.

Certainly, I can understand the arguement that you will get a better return near the deadline because various teams will be bidding.

Some could argue that as we get closer to the deadline, we lose leverage. Teams will know we have time against our side and may be less apt to offer greater return knowing that we would be more inclined to get something rather than nothing.

All indications are that many teams are bidding right now and are offering good returns. I'd rather be safe than sorry and make a deal soon (again, not giving Weight away, but making what we decide to be a great return). If we are to believe that the the price Weight is commanding right now is higher than anyone would have thought, then we should move.

It also may be wise for Pleau to set up his own deadline for a deal (such as before the olympic break) to teams interested. That would at least garner high quality offers from other teams, without subjecting the blues to a hard deadline.

Whatever happens, I'm ready to see veterans shipped out now. Let the kids and other players have greater roles on this team.

Old
01-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
I've already asked him.

Now if I can get another hockey-related matter answered which crept up last night, the details of which only 3 other people know at the current time. (If that's not a tease - and no, don't ask me or PM me for the details, I'm not saying squat.)

Hey IB......it's been a week.....any chance of divulging the details....or has this completely fizzled???

Old
01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmans Domain
Hey IB......it's been a week.....any chance of divulging the details....or has this completely fizzled???
Which part are you interested in?

Old
01-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Which part are you interested in?
the part that only 3 people knew of (as of last week).......just wondering if this is something that would interest a Blues fan......or if it was trade speculation which has fizzled........or anything news worthy, really....

At some point the tease needs to be addressed.....right?

Last edited by Stealth JD: 01-25-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old
01-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Irish Blues

OK ... here's what I can say.

In case you haven't looked at the Prospects Thread, our forum has been browsed by a certain someone in the Blues organization on occasion - specifically, that thread. It seems that the Head of Amateur Scouting uses the links that PB and I set up last year (and updated for this year's version) to keep up-to-date on the stats of players, especially those overseas. Plus, as others post updates on prospects (good or bad), he checks that out too.

So he notices I have a web site, one thing leads to another, and I ended up talking to said person this weekend here in Boston. I can't divulge a lot more b/c I promised not to say a lot (so please understand that - I really can't say a lot), but suffice it to say that I understand a lot better how the Blues go about scouting players and the kinds of players he looks for - thus explaining why we took T.J. Oshie at #24.

I'm really sorry I can't go into a lot more detail - but suffice it to say that I probably trust his judgment more now than I did before; if he does what he hopes to do, there's no doubt the future of the Blues will be very, very bright.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:

In case you haven't looked at the Prospects Thread, our forum has been browsed by a certain someone in the Blues organization on occasion - specifically, that thread. It seems that the Head of Amateur Scouting uses the links that PB and I set up last year (and updated for this year's version) to keep up-to-date on the stats of players, especially those overseas. Plus, as others post updates on prospects (good or bad), he checks that out too.

So he notices I have a web site, one thing leads to another, and I ended up talking to said person this weekend here in Boston. I can't divulge a lot more b/c I promised not to say a lot (so please understand that - I really can't say a lot), but suffice it to say that I understand a lot better how the Blues go about scouting players and the kinds of players he looks for - thus explaining why we took T.J. Oshie at #24.

I'm really sorry I can't go into a lot more detail - but suffice it to say that I probably trust his judgment more now than I did before; if he does what he hopes to do, there's no doubt the future of the Blues will be very, very bright.
Understood.....thanks for clearing that up. I did in fact see your blurb about JK browsing that thread. It's funny, we (you and other posters) keep track of his players after he has selected them....but he still has to do all of the legwork prior to even making the selection/offering a contract. It would be very interesting to know what goes into the scouting and his approach at it, but if you don't have your word....you won't have his confidence....so I completely respect yourdecision to keep that knowledge confidential. FWIW, I have no doubt that Jarmo is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in the entire Blues organization and we are very fortunate to have him focussing on rebuilding this organization.

Old
01-25-2006, 01:15 PM
formsoldier*

Quote:

Hasn't been a doubt in my mind about the Blues' future. Also, after watching Oshie in the WJC and reading about Oshie, I think it was just about right to pick him at 24 (not saying you're saying anything else but I've seen some doubts around here).

Old
01-25-2006, 02:42 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

back on topic, a little, wouldn't what happend to Brewer hasten Pleau to make the trade ASAP. Because if Weight gets injured (as has been the case more often than not lately) the Blues outlook gets just a little bleaker for the short term.

Old
01-28-2006, 03:23 PM
muffin with tentacle

vCash: 883
As a Sens fan who saw what our last rental player (Peter Bondra) did for us in the playoffs, I am skeptical about Weight's acquisition. I'd rather get Jokinen, personally.

But I won't mind Weight as long as we don't have to give up much. Antoine Vermette for Weight was rumored, but I wouldn't do that unless we were sure Weight would sign a (reasonable) contract extension. It would be nice if we could unload Vaclav Varada and a second rounder for Weight, but I have a feeling you guys are going to see Brandon Bochenski in blue, which worries me. This guy has shown he has the potential to dominate (see: preseason) and the pressure really got to him in the regular season. He had shown flashes of brilliance before an injury cost him his roster spot (Patrick Eaves).

Old
01-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Irish Blues

The big question about Jokinen: how is he going to hold up in the playoffs? He's played 529 regular-season games, but has no playoff experience in the NHL. His post-season experience is limited to 14 games in Finland: 9 in 1997-98, 5 in 2004-05 ... and I'd hardly compare the playoffs in Finland to the playoffs in the NHL.

Weight has 69 games experience, and is 20-35-55. In the '03 playoffs, he was 5-8-13 in the first round and was the leading scorer overall until late in the 2nd round. At least Weight knows what to expect, and you can get an idea of what to expect from him. Jokinen is a huge unknown: are you really willing to take your chances on him, knowing that you're close already?

Old
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
As a Pred fan, I'm all for the Sens taking Weight and letting us grab Jokinen. I believe he has more potential to be great, being that he has been great with no line mates to speak of. You know what you get with Weight, but I think Jokinen still has another step up and hes just waiting to be in the limelight when it happens.

Old
01-28-2006, 04:07 PM
muffin with tentacle

vCash: 883
Quote:
The big question about Jokinen: how is he going to hold up in the playoffs? He's played 529 regular-season games, but has no playoff experience in the NHL. His post-season experience is limited to 14 games in Finland: 9 in 1997-98, 5 in 2004-05 ... and I'd hardly compare the playoffs in Finland to the playoffs in the NHL.

Weight has 69 games experience, and is 20-35-55. In the '03 playoffs, he was 5-8-13 in the first round and was the leading scorer overall until late in the 2nd round. At least Weight knows what to expect, and you can get an idea of what to expect from him. Jokinen is a huge unknown: are you really willing to take your chances on him, knowing that you're close already?
Jokinen is a consistent player. I know it's a gamble but he seems like the kind of guy who would not back down in the playoffs. He looks like a team leader in Florida. The main thing is that it just seems more likely that we'll be able to re-sign him.

Old
01-28-2006, 05:07 PM
sundstrom32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue
I don't think the Blues are looking for a goalie; they have Sanford and Bacashihua already, with Beckford-Tseu, Barulin and Schwarz in the pipeline, and Ben Bishop a freshman at Maine.

Think defense and scoring forwards.

And absolutely, the Blues would move Weight for prospects, but not until the deadline, and probably not to the Devils unless they were able to get back into serious "contender" status.

Weight for Pikkarainen, Ahonen, and a pick?

P_B

well we are back in the hunt, broduer just signed long term deal so ahonen is available, and Lou lam. is know for 3 for 1's I would pull it off, the devils are in desparate need for a second line center and Lou loves the american players.

Old
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Irish Blues

PB - I looked at your proposal for Weight to New Jersey, and ... I don't like it.

Ahonen would be yet another goalie in the system, and right now we don't need another. Pikkarainen strikes me as Mark Rycroft Lite - if his potential is as a 4th liner, we can certainly do better. His 8-10-18 at Albany thus far (his 3rd season there) strikes me as very unimpressive.

No, if we're going to swing a trade with the Devils I want a Tallackson or a Nittel - someone with size and is younger than 25 with top 6/top 9 potential. And the obligatory pick or two. But so far of everything I've seen offered for Weight on HF, Ottawa's Bochenski/Vermette and a 2nd still stands out above the rest.

Old
01-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

IB.....how about a blockbuster with Calgary....it's proposed in the 'trade' forum:

Calgary gets:
Doug Weight
Barrett Jackman
St. Louis' 2006 1st

St. Louis gets:
Dion Phaneuf
Kris Chucko
Calgary's 2006 1st
Calgary's 2007 2nd

essentially: Jackman & Kessell/Johnson for Phaneuf & 25(ish) pick. Weight for Chucko & '07 2nd.

Old
01-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Irish Blues

That's *way* too much to consider. (My comments were posted there briefly, I'll expand here.)

First off, I do not want to trade that 1st round pick this year and end up moving down 20 spots. We could really use that top-2 pick to get someone we can build around for the future, the depth in this draft is going to drop off after about 7-9. I would trade Jackman and a pick for Phaneuf - the Flames wouldn't.

If we could get Chucko and a pick for Weight, I wouldn't be opposed. However, I don't know if the Flames would deal Chucko, and the only other forwards that stands out for me are Nystrom (and I'm sure that's right out of consideration) and Ryder (size is a question mark). The only other choice is to look at defense where I'd only consider Ramholt and Pelech, and I'm not overly sold on either guy.

So while I don't think it's out of the question to work a trade with the Flames involving Weight, someone from the Flames is going to have to sell me on a prospect if it's not Chucko.

Old
01-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Irish Blues

BTW - Hatcher is now the captain of the Flyers, which is a pretty decent sign that Primeau is done for the season.

Which means that the Flyers are probably in the bidding for Weight now.

Old
01-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
BTW - Hatcher is now the captain of the Flyers, which is a pretty decent sign that Primeau is done for the season.

Which means that the Flyers are probably in the bidding for Weight now.
I'm pretty sure that their pick up of Nedved eliminated them from the Weight sweepstakes.....I think they new Primeau was done when the got Nedved. Rumour had them aquiring Nedved cuz the price for Weight was 2 high.

Besides Weight is coming to Ottawa .

Old
01-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Irish Blues

Doug Weight has been traded to Carolina per Sportsnet.

Details to follow shortly.

Closed Thread