HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Army

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2005, 03:16 PM
phil macrackin

vCash: 500
Army

Very nice to see him get the hat trick last night. Nobody works harder and is more of a team player than this guy. I hope he continues to get opportunities in a scoring role.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think the Luc-Army-Cammalleri line is back because it sounded like they played a lot together lats night. Army gets the job done. He does everything you could ask for. Him and Luc play well together because Army does a great job of holding on to the puck and fighting for it in the corners.

Old
12-30-2005, 04:39 PM
guzmania

How can you flaunt conventual widom in such a cavallier manor? Everyone knows he's Manchester material. The only reason he scored in 03 and 04 was Palffy.

How many guys who have played in the NHL have never and will never get the hattie? I think it has taken Derek longer to round into game shape because of the injuries. The last few games he's hit his stride and if the Kings get a second line going "look out pardner". Let's also say that Luc gets some credit because he makes the defense pay attention to him and that has opened up some ice for Dangerous Derek Armstrong. Thanks for the point Derek!

Old
12-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Army is the kind of guy everyone can root for, typical lunch pailer. Keep it up Derek!

Old
12-30-2005, 06:39 PM
ILuvLA

Army = unsung hero.

Old
12-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil macrackin
Nobody works harder and is more of a team player than this guy.
This isn't going to be popular, but I'll say it, anyways. No offense, phil (I don't want it to seem like I'm singling you out), but the "team player" label is most often a compensation gift for players who lack the talents (skill, leadership, etc.) that their peers have. It sounds harsh, but it's true. I sincerely doubt that Derek is any more of a team player than most on the team and it'd be a bit of an insult to some of the others to suggest otherwise. I know it's hip to praise the "unsung heroes" who have made it further than people expected, but we still have to call a spade a spade. Armstrong is a good 3rd/4th-liner, but he has much smaller helpings of talents than most of the rest of the team and has nothing on them (including being a "team player"). I am very, very impressed with his hat trick of last night, but he still had only 6 goals before that and has a laziness to his game that you wouldn't expect from someone in his position (especially not from a "hard worker" or "team player"). I'm all for giving him major props for last night's game, but let's not go overboard here and attribute qualities to him that are either not there or supposedly "unique" to him.

Old
12-30-2005, 09:37 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Believe me, with the depth at forward, Armstrong will be expendable more sooner than later. That he can provide games like this only enhances his value and makes it difficult to cut bait, but in the long run... he'll be an afterthought if the youngsters continue to progress.

Old
12-30-2005, 09:46 PM
took420s

What is his contract situation?

Old
12-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by took420s
What is his contract situation?
All I could find is that he signed a "multi-year contract extension" just before the lockout. I couldn't determine whether "multi-year" meant 2 or 3 years. If it was 2 years, he'll be a UFA this Summer. If it was 3 years, the Kings will obviously have him for another season after this.

Old
12-30-2005, 10:28 PM
took420s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
All I could find is that he signed a "multi-year contract extension" just before the lockout. I couldn't determine whether "multi-year" meant 2 or 3 years. If it was 2 years, he'll be a UFA this Summer. If it was 3 years, the Kings will obviously have him for another season after this.
That's all I could find too,

One more year sounds about right to me.

Old
12-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
This isn't going to be popular, but I'll say it, anyways. No offense, phil (I don't want it to seem like I'm singling you out), but the "team player" label is most often a compensation gift for players who lack the talents (skill, leadership, etc.) that their peers have. It sounds harsh, but it's true. I sincerely doubt that Derek is any more of a team player than most on the team and it'd be a bit of an insult to some of the others to suggest otherwise. I know it's hip to praise the "unsung heroes" who have made it further than people expected, but we still have to call a spade a spade. Armstrong is a good 3rd/4th-liner, but he has much smaller helpings of talents than most of the rest of the team and has nothing on them (including being a "team player"). I am very, very impressed with his hat trick of last night, but he still had only 6 goals before that and has a laziness to his game that you wouldn't expect from someone in his position (especially not from a "hard worker" or "team player"). I'm all for giving him major props for last night's game, but let's not go overboard here and attribute qualities to him that are either not there or supposedly "unique" to him.
Army isn't the most talented player on the ice but nobody can question this guys hustle and determination. He was having a very goos season until he got hurt and now he is finally getting to the level he was at before he got hurt. If, I had to describe Army in once sentence it would be, "He isn't the most gifted of players but he simply gets the job done".

Old
12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Derek Armstrong should thank his lucky stars that AM is coach - with any other coach, he is in the AHL

Old
12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Derek Armstrong should thank his lucky stars that AM is coach - with any other coach, he is in the AHL
I wish we had more AHL'ers who could score hat tricks in the NHL.

Old
12-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Derek Armstrong is great as a 4th line center who can chip in. He is actually better than most 4th line players. The only problem I have is when he is put in a position he shouldn't be in as the 2nd line center.

In the AHL he is a top line center, but he can hang in the NHL and can crack the 4th line on most teams. I prefer him over the likes of Erik Rasmussen, Jason Wiemer or Dan Cleary.

Old
12-31-2005, 02:27 AM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Eh? Please explain why Army doesn't belong in the NHL but Mikael Samuelsson does?

Old
12-31-2005, 02:34 AM
Kingz4life

I think a lot of you don't realize what Army brings to this team. For example, for the past few seasons every line he has been on has been succesful. Why is that?

Old
12-31-2005, 02:38 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I think a lot of you don't realize what Army brings to this team. For example, for the past few seasons every line he has been on has been succesful. Why is that?
Thank you!

Now all of a sudden he's barely fourth line?

Old
12-31-2005, 02:46 AM
jt

Quote:
I think the Luc-Army-Cammalleri line is back because it sounded like they played a lot together lats night. Army gets the job done. He does everything you could ask for. Him and Luc play well together because Army does a great job of holding on to the puck and fighting for it in the corners.
Derek Armstrong not only belongs in the NHL, he is a fine 2nd line center. "Great"? No. "Ideal"? No. but if the Calgary Flames can get to game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals with a 2nd line of Gelinas/Lombardi(and Marcus Nilsson)/Donovan, I see NO valid arguments that the Kings can't succeed with Army on the 2nd line.

Old
12-31-2005, 03:42 AM
Osprey

Quote:
For example, for the past few seasons every line he has been on has been succesful. Why is that?
Really, though, how many lines haven't been successful this season? Any line that isn't successful gets broken up before it can be remembered. Whereas young players are often streaky, as a veteran, Armstrong is consistent. That's why he's in the NHL and why he's an asset for the team, not because he's a magic player for any line he's on or even special as an NHLer. There's really nothing special about him other than that the coach knows that he'll always get a consistent performance out of him. The best way I can put it is even if it's a B- performance, you know you'll get it every night, unlike some other players (such as Frolov and Brown) who can serve up anything from A to C performances on any given night. For a team with a lot of youngsters, that's useful.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-31-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old
12-31-2005, 04:05 AM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Really, though, how many lines haven't been successful this season? Any line that isn't successful gets broken up before it can be remembered. Whereas young players are often streaky, as a veteran, Armstrong is consistent. That's why he's in the NHL and why he's an asset for the team, not because he's a magic player for any line he's on or even special as an NHLer. There's really nothing special about him other than that the coach knows that he'll always get a consistent performance out of him. The best way I can put it is even if it's a B- performance, you know you'll get it every night, unlike some other players (such as Frolov and Brown) who can serve up anything from A to C performances on any given night. For a team with a lot of youngsters, that's useful.
The only line we can trust game in and game out has been the Frolov-Conroy-Demitra line and any line Avery has been on has been consistent. But the whole season we haven't had a consistent #2 scoring line. Yeah, for different reasons lines have been breaking apart quick but that's not the point. Yes, your correct in saying his performance is consistent and we know what to expect out of him.

He's a very good 3rd line player, who gets the job done when he needs to be a top 6 forward.

Old
12-31-2005, 04:21 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
As a former Hartford Wolf*Pack season ticket holder, I think that Derek Armstrong is a great player. He isn't a first line center or a top second line center either, but whatever is asked of him from checking line center to scoring line center, he will give it his all and is a very valuable player in that regard because he will get the job done.

I watched a lot of Kings games in the past two seasons, but haven't really seen as much this year...but I felt with all the injuries to the Kings the past two seasons Army has really been a very underappreciated player. Earlier this season he was really clicking with his linemates prior to his injury and I was very happy to see him score the hat trick last night. I hope that he has a great season. He is one of those players that comes to the rink every night knowing his job and has a lot of fun doing it. Does he still dance during pregame warmups to the music? He used to in Hartford.

Old
12-31-2005, 11:25 AM
jt

Quote:
Naslund/Morisson/Bertuzzi

That one's pretty memorable, isn't it?

How about Tanguay/Sakic/Hejduk?

Lehtinen/Modano/Guerin

Amonte/Langkow/Iginla

Oh, and I think a B- is ok although if he keeps up his current scoring pace he'll finish with 22 goals and 29 assists and I think that'd be good for a B+.

Old
12-31-2005, 11:26 AM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
As a former Hartford Wolf*Pack season ticket holder, I think that Derek Armstrong is a great player. He isn't a first line center or a top second line center either, but whatever is asked of him from checking line center to scoring line center, he will give it his all and is a very valuable player in that regard because he will get the job done.

I watched a lot of Kings games in the past two seasons, but haven't really seen as much this year...but I felt with all the injuries to the Kings the past two seasons Army has really been a very underappreciated player. Earlier this season he was really clicking with his linemates prior to his injury and I was very happy to see him score the hat trick last night. I hope that he has a great season. He is one of those players that comes to the rink every night knowing his job and has a lot of fun doing it. Does he still dance during pregame warmups to the music? He used to in Hartford.
Excellent excellent post.

Old
12-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
Naslund/Morisson/Bertuzzi

That one's pretty memorable, isn't it?

How about Tanguay/Sakic/Hejduk?

Lehtinen/Modano/Guerin

Amonte/Langkow/Iginla
I'm really not following you. Is this agreement, objection or supporting evidence?
Quote:
Oh, and I think a B- is ok although if he keeps up his current scoring pace he'll finish with 22 goals and 29 assists and I think that'd be good for a B+.
In the new NHL, where every 'A' player will be a point-per-game performer (82-100+ points), a player with 51 points is closer to a 'B-', certainly not a 'B+'. Hah, I sound like AM giving out post-season report cards

Old
12-31-2005, 03:40 PM
jt

Quote:
I'm really not following you. Is this agreement, objection or supporting evidence?In the new NHL, where every 'A' player will be a point-per-game performer (82-100+ points), a player with 51 points is closer to a 'B-', certainly not a 'B+'. Hah, I sound like AM giving out post-season report cards
Those are supporting evidence of how lots of lines aren't working this season...but the ones Army plays on ARE working pretty well most of the time.

So guys like, say, Kris Draper, Todd White and Steve Rucchin are incapable of getting B+'s because they don't score a point a game? Role players deserve grades based on how well they do in their roles...not how much they score.

Closed Thread