HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NEW FAN - someone help me get to know this team

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Martynjackson

vCash: 500
NEW FAN - someone help me get to know this team

I used to watch hockey, never really followed it hardcore and supported the Penguins. Recently I decided to get into it for real this time and to choose a team. I went with the Flyers.

Can anyone help me out here? - As a new fan I want to get behind these guys 100% and would like to know some of the really important stuff a fan should know about this team. Can anyone help or provide links etc, please?

Old
12-27-2005, 11:07 PM
Squiddy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynjackson
I used to watch hockey, never really followed it hardcore and supported the Penguins. Recently I decided to get into it for real this time and to choose a team. I went with the Flyers.

Can anyone help me out here? - As a new fan I want to get behind these guys 100% and would like to know some of the really important stuff a fan should know about this team. Can anyone help or provide links etc, please?
should have picked the rangers.

Old
12-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Wikipedia knows all - click here!

Old
12-28-2005, 12:03 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynjackson

If you are mean the franchise's history then www.FlyersHistory.com is a great source of info, stats, etc.

Old
12-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Martynjackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddy
should have picked the rangers.
Y'know it was a toss up between them, the Flyers and NJ, I went with Philly because screw it - I always play as them on hockey games so what the hell.

Old
12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Gags1288

I don't really know what to tell you, I guess i'll give you a little background and talk to you about the strengths of this team:

1)Peter Forsberg- This is his first year with the Flyers (originally a Flyers pick, traded in a deal for Eric Lindros) and he's the best player in the NHL. An absolute joy to watch, he makes everyone around him better.

2)Young Players- The Flyers are currently relying on a great crop of young players to contribute in a big way. They have two highly touted first rounders from the 2003 draft in Jeff Carter (primarily a goal scorer) and Mike Richards (playmaker, future captain). They also have first round picks R.J. Umberger (drafted by Vancouver) and Ben Eager (drafted by Pheonix). The other rookies contributing right now are Antero Nittymakki (fighting for the #1 goalie spot, playing really well, big upside) and Freddy Meyer (defenseman, small but playing pretty well). All these guys got great experience playing for the Phantoms last year and they won the Calder cup (AHL affiliate of the Flyers).

3)Joni Pitkanen and Simon Gagne- Not rookies, but two more young players who are probably the flyers 2nd and 3rd best players. Gagne is a winger on Forsberg's line and currently 2nd in the NHL in goals (if he hadn't been hurt, he'd be #1). Pitkanen is a 22 year old defenseman, who was the #4 pick in the 2002 draft and is already a stud. Another great player to watch.

4) Goaltending- Many think this has been the achilles heel of the Flyers for years. Robert Esche took the team to within one game of the Stanley Cup Finals last season, but many think that backup Antero NIttymakki is the better goaltender and deserves the spot. We have an annual goalie controversy, i personally feel much more comftorable with Nitty in net.

5) The Flyers are a very deep team, with high quality forwards, a great top 5 defense (when healthy) and two pretty solid goalies. The expectations are Stanley Cup champs or bust and most believe the Ottawa Senators are our main competition (who we are 2-0 against so far this year).

6) Chris Therien sucks- he wears #6, you'll notice him making bad plays consistantly

7) Donald Brashear doesn't do his job enough- He's the tough guy, he does intimidate because he's probably the best fighter in the NHL, but he rarely fights, and sometimes thinks he's being paid to score goals.

8) Brian Savage sucks - enough said.

That's pretty much all i've got, if you've got any specific questions, i'd be happy to help.

Old
12-28-2005, 12:03 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Wikipedia knows all - click here!

ahahha, best site ever

Old
12-28-2005, 08:59 PM
luv_canadian_hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
ahahha, best site ever
it is

Old
12-29-2005, 09:26 AM
i am dave

I also highly recommend the staple of my "coffee table book" collection for the past 7 or 8 years:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...164703-9570441

Old
12-31-2005, 06:38 AM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
I also highly recommend the staple of my "coffee table book" collection for the past 7 or 8 years:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...164703-9570441

My fiancee got me that won for Christmas......................looks like a good read.

Closed Thread