HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Speculation on the Avs and Theodore...

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2005, 09:20 AM
shayne

vCash: 500
Speculation on the Avs and Theodore...

denver post speculated the Avs are trying to get Theodore out of Montreal.

IMO a top 6 forward and a top 4 D would have to come back in any deal for the former Vezina and Hart trophy winner, Theodore proved again last night that when he is healthy and motivated he is a top 5 goalie in the NHL and in Canada.

looking at the Avs roster, one of hedjuk,tanguay or svatos and liles would be the players i would consider or i would expect the Habs to consider

a better deal might be in Tampa, the lighting are a very good team and defending cup champs with John Grahame in net and they have a future problem with Richards.

Brad richards and pavel kubina for theodore works for me and the Habs( and the salaries seem to work in the new nhl)

Cheers

Old
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
There has been some discussion that Montreal might be willing to part with goalie Jose Theodore. But his contract could be prohibitive: Theodore is making $4.5 million this season and is slated to earn more than $5 million next season. The Avs have about $1.8 million in salary cap room. For the second consecutive game, a scout from the Canadiens was in attendance Wednesday night
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3351850

Old
12-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Dark Knight
ScorchedEarthRebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayne

IMO a top 6 forward and a top 4 D would have to come back in any deal for the former Vezina and Hart trophy winner, Theodore proved again last night that when he is healthy and motivated he is a top 5 goalie in the NHL and in Canada.

looking at the Avs roster, one of hedjuk,tanguay or svatos and liles would be the players i would consider or i would expect the Habs to consider

a better deal might be in Tampa, the lighting are a very good team and defending cup champs with John Grahame in net and they have a future problem with Richards.

Brad richards and pavel kubina for theodore works for me and the Habs( and the salaries seem to work in the new nhl)

Cheers
For an inconsistent, yet talented goaltender, you should be happy to just get Richards ( very unlikely though ). Richards is one of the top Cs in the league. I might even go as far as calling him better than Lecavalier.

Old
12-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Jesus, you want BOTH??!!! Good thing you didn't make that clear on the Tampa board.

Yeah, I BET that works for you.

12-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Jesus, you want BOTH??!!! Good thing you didn't make that clear on the Tampa board.

Yeah, I BET that works for you.
Haha. Not really. I feel pretty uncofortable with Huet as our #1 goalie

Old
12-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archijerej
We can slug it out until Price is ready.

Old
12-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
Quote:

We'll trade back Huet and Bonk for Garon

Old
12-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
We can slug it out until Price is ready.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:19 AM
felixd

Any deal involving Theo needs to bring a goalie back to Montreal. I would hate to trade him to Colorado because that would mean one of Aebischer/Budaj/Kolesnik comes back to montreal. yuck.

How about to Philly? I think Esche can blossom, he might just need a change of scenery.

So how about(I don't like making proposals too much...)

Knuble, Esche, Richards

for

Theodore
Higgins

Old
12-29-2005, 10:23 AM

Theodore isn't going anywhere unless a goalie of similar value and/or potential comes back the other way...meaning, Luongo or Giguere for example...trading away Theodore to get a guy like Aebisher back is a step backwards, we've learned this the hard way with Patrick Roy

Old
12-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Cheers

I don't think you could get Richards OR Kubina for Theodore right now. And, in fact, I see little possibility that Tampa deals for a big money goalies with so much tied up in Prince Vincent and St. Louis. Besides, Tampa's goaltending is OK for now. If they want to sign a goaltender for big $, they'll wait and take a shot at Turco or Nabakov.

And, it isn't exactly like Theodore is having an all star season. Right now, he is looking extremely overpaid.

Old
12-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
I heard Huet is better than Luongo.

12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Funny.. Proposals of approximately Hejduk and Liles get thrown around for Theodore, but Luongo can only muster the Cooke/Cloutier garbage.

Old
12-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Quote:

Cheers
Dear lord!

You want one of the best forwards in the league... and Tampa's most valuable d-man (shut down value, not points)

Wow I guess it WOULD work for you!

Old
12-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Funny.. Proposals of approximately Hejduk and Liles get thrown around for Theodore, but Luongo can only muster the Cooke/Cloutier garbage.
This is a proposal from a Habs fan, of course Theodore's value is going to be extremely exaggerated.

And since when were to only "proposals" for Luongo the "Cooke/Cloutier" garbage?

Old
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
And since when were to only "proposals" for Luongo the "Cooke/Cloutier" garbage?
Since they were first offered.

Old
12-29-2005, 12:07 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
How does this sound... Ossi Vannaen and Aebischer/Budaj for Theodore?

I don't know if the salaries work out.

To me personally this seems much more realistic than Richards and Kubina or Svatos/Hejduk & Liles

Old
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Since they were first offered.
There were many other players from other teams being offered for Luongo. Cooke/Cloutier may have been offered by some fans, but they certainly weren't the "only" offers. Besides, this is an internet message board where fan biases reign supreme. It's bound to happen.

Old
12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Besides, Tampa's goaltending is OK for now.

Tortorella seems to think otherwise.

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Tampa Bay Lightning coach John Tortorella made it clear. The defending Stanley Cup champions are going no where until their goaltending gets better.

"Eighteen scoring chances to 10, we can't have four goals in our net on 10 chances," said Tortorella, who pounded the podium with his hand several times during his postgame news conference. "Especially the fourth goal, it can't happen.

I'm . . . at what's happening there because I thought our team played very well tonight.

"And this has gone on for quite a while."

Tortorella said backup Sean Burke will start Friday night against Boston.

"I hope he plays well," Tortorella said. "If he plays well, he's going to go again.

"I'm not up here trying to rip anybody apart. Let's be honest about what's going on here, and it's getting old. We're going nowhere until that situation is straightened out."

Theodore wont get trade anyways. period.

Old
12-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Melrose'sMullet

Quote:

What even more funny is how a Fla fan jumped on this proposal from a Montreal fan. It wasn't an Avs fan making the proposal, and if you think that's what the Avs would give up for Theodore think again....

People need to consider the new economic dynamic of ther league. Names get thrown around and it just isn't so anymore. If the Canadiens look to move Theodore, they are looking to move his salary as well. That means they will get far less in return then they would of say last season. A deal for Theo may consist of a mid level defenseman with potential (Vaanenen), Aebischer who has a 1 year deal and is a RFA (to make the deal work rom the Avs financial perspective), and probably a pick or prospect. The fact the Avs absorb Theo's salary for years to come would preclude the Avs from having to give RFA's Tanguay, Svatos, or Liles. Certainly the Avs would not give up Hejduk in a deal for just Theodore as Hejduk has high value due to his longterm underpriced contract. The NHL is no longer one for one...the financial ramifications also have to be considered and the return for Theo were he to be traded would be very low.

Old
12-29-2005, 01:09 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose'sMullet
What even more funny is how a Fla fan jumped on this proposal from a Montreal fan. It wasn't an Avs fan making the proposal, and if you think that's what the Avs would give up for Theodore think again....

People need to consider the new economic dynamic of ther league. Names get thrown around and it just isn't so anymore. If the Canadiens look to move Theodore, they are looking to move his salary as well. That means they will get far less in return then they would of say last season. A deal for Theo may consist of a mid level defenseman with potential (Vaanenen), Aebischer who has a 1 year deal and is a RFA (to make the deal work rom the Avs financial perspective), and probably a pick or prospect. The fact the Avs absorb Theo's salary for years to come would preclude the Avs from having to give RFA's Tanguay, Svatos, or Liles. Certainly the Avs would not give up Hejduk in a deal for just Theodore as Hejduk has high value due to his longterm underpriced contract. The NHL is no longer one for one...the financial ramifications also have to be considered and the return for Theo were he to be traded would be very low.
Looking to move Theo and I agree wholeheartedly. Willing to move Theo and the ante gets upped. Are the Avs (Canucks, Oilers) desperate for goaltending? If the Habs (Panthers) can deal from a position of strength, then the return will be high. With Theo, the Habs aren't much more than a 1st or 2nd round playoff team at best this season. There is no need to move Theo unless the return is great. No team that thinks they have a chance to win the cup is going to sacrifice important pieces (Bertuzzi) to make the deal. So where do the Avs sit in this equation? Are they thinking long-term or are they making a run this year?

Last edited by loudi94: 12-29-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old
12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Nop Theo is going anywhere ... Montreal need a #1 goaltender , Huet cant do the job and Danis and Price aren`t ready...

Old
12-29-2005, 01:39 PM
TheDynasty

I have absolutely no interest in trading Theo for any of these Avs packages that have been mentioned. I do not want one of Aebischer/Budaj/Kolesnik plus Huet as our goaltending tandem. Good lord, Theo might be a bit inconsistent at the moment, but the Colorado goaltenders outright SUCK. The other proposal was Vaanenen, Aebischer and a pick?! How on earth does that improve the Canadiens? We get a big slow defenseman, an atrocious goaltender and a mid-range pick. Well that just has me lining up to trade Theo.

If I'm looking at trading Theodore to the Northwest I'm calling Vancouver about Bertuzzi first and foremost.

Old
12-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Greater Malison
He Knows. You Don't.

Send a message via AIM to Greater Malison
What if Buffalo was added into this scenario as a possible 3 team deal. With the Avs getting Theodore, The Habs getting Biron, and the Sabres getting a decent player off of each team.

Old
12-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
So where do the Avs sit in this equation? Are they thinking long-term or are they making a run this year?
My feeling is Lacroix wants to see what shakes out with Loungo first and is trying to get more salary burnt off on players he moved for.

We're not packing in the season yet since we're still around playoff position and filling the holes on the team could boost us into a higher seed, but with all the cap space available next year I don't think Lacroix would be huge on tying himself down on too much salary in the future.

Closed Thread