HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 12:56 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
Ovechkin

Anyone see him pretty much win the game tonight vs. Anaheim by himself.

With apologies to Jagr of the late 90's and Forsberg of the early 00's, this is the most talented hockey player I have seen since Mario in the mid 90's.

Ovechkin has 30 goals and 55 pts, on pace for almost 60 goals and 100 pts.

The next highest scorer on Washington is D-man Jamie Heward with 23 pts, imagine this guy with a talented linemate.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:01 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Anyone see him pretty much win the game tonight vs. Anaheim by himself.

With apologies to Jagr of the late 90's and Forsberg of the early 00's, this is the most talented hockey player I have seen since Mario in the mid 90's.

Ovechkin has 30 goals and 55 pts, on pace for almost 60 goals and 100 pts.

The next highest scorer on Washington is D-man Jamie Heward with 23 pts, imagine this guy with a talented linemate.
B.S.

Without Danus Zubrus, he's useless...he's been riding his coattails all year...

Old
01-14-2006, 01:03 AM
ILuvLA

If Ovechkin doesn't win the Calder, the sucker is rigged. He's the real deal. He scores. he hits. I hate to think how good he's going to be within the next few years, especially if the Caps get some good players around him....

Old
01-14-2006, 01:10 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
If Ovechkin doesn't win the Calder, the sucker is rigged.
It might just be. Crosby's the media darling...and he's Canadian....Ovechkin being better might not enter into it...

Old
01-14-2006, 01:14 AM
SLang

I only watched a bit of that Ducks game tonight, to see if they'd lose....but the short span I saw, I saw him get two goals and lay two BIG hits on Ducks players. Impressive.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:19 AM
kingsfan25

I'm actually not that big a fan of Oveckin's hits...he seems to be more of an attention hitter. Based on what I've seen (which is limited, granted), he seems to wait for players to be in vulnerable positions to make sure he can really lay them out...he's not the only one who does it, but they just don't seem to be for anything else other than hitting for the sake of hitting.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:23 AM
nikolai19

Washington has the cap room to go get him help too. They should deal Semin for someone really good.

In the wake of us talking about Samsonov, that may be a type of guy that could end up there and create some magic with him.

I'm thinking they will get something for Witt that could help him. Him and Kovalchuk are worth the price of admission every day and twice on Sunday.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
I'm actually not that big a fan of Oveckin's hits...he seems to be more of an attention hitter. Based on what I've seen (which is limited, granted), he seems to wait for players to be in vulnerable positions to make sure he can really lay them out...he's not the only one who does it...
You're a big fan of Brown's hits, though, right? I don't see much difference between the two.

Old
01-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Ovechkin is one of the best pure talents since Pavel Bure. I can't say enough about that kid...he is absolutely amazing. I talk about him so much, my Wife is starting to get worried....lol.

Old
01-14-2006, 02:07 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
You're a big fan of Brown's hits, though, right? I don't see much difference between the two.
Brown plays the body on a consistant basis because it's more a part of his game than Ovechkin's. Alexander just likes to light people up. Nothing wrong with that, but the two aren't comparable imo.

And yes, if he doesn't win the Calder, it's ********.

Old
01-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Brown plays the body on a consistant basis because it's more a part of his game than Ovechkin's. Alexander just likes to light people up.
You're basically saying that Brown hits because he's less talented and has to compensate, whereas Ovechkin doesn't need to hit to be phenomenal, making his hits less impressive. You're comparing playing style and talent, not the hits, themselves. Just because Ovechkin doesn't need to hit, it doesn't make his hits any less impressive and effective. I actually find it a lot more impressive that Ovechkin can light up the lamp and light up players at the same time, whereas Brown seems to (currently) have problems doing both. I like Brown, but it's silly to suggest that he does anything better than the phenom (and target of Beauty eh?'s healthy mancrush) that is Ovechkin.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-14-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old
01-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
I talk about him so much, my Wife is starting to get worried....lol.
You took her to see Brokeback Mountain, didn't you? Can you really blame her?

Old
01-14-2006, 04:12 AM
Chartrand

I would rather watch Ovechkin than any other player.

I *heart* Ovenchicken.

Old
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Fingolfin

My problem with Ovechkin is that almost *all* of his big hits should be called for charging. The guy leaves his feet ALL THE TIME. His hit on Vishnevski tonight is a case in point. Look, I totally respect a guy who can score and hit, but I wish he'd cut the dirty crap out.

- Fin

Old
01-14-2006, 07:35 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin
My problem with Ovechkin is that almost *all* of his big hits should be called for charging. The guy leaves his feet ALL THE TIME. His hit on Vishnevski tonight is a case in point. Look, I totally respect a guy who can score and hit, but I wish he'd cut the dirty crap out.

- Fin
He left his feet and got a charging penalty on another Duck. He needs to calm down a little or he will get a charging penalty every game and eventually have to drop the gloves, he almost had to when he ran Buffalo's goalie.

He really dominated the game tonight though. I was impressed, he should get the Calder over Crosby.

Old
01-14-2006, 09:54 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin

- Fin
yeah...I've found that he seems to always go for the big hit, and rarely(again, what I've seen) for the functional hit to knock someone off the puck.

Granted he's got weight to throw around...but he seems to use it solely when players offbalance and in postions where they're going to make a big splash.

Old
01-14-2006, 10:13 AM
viking

The Kid is an incredible player. His third goal was a thing of beauty!

Old
01-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking
The Kid is an incredible player. His third goal was a thing of beauty!
What about his second goal?

Second goal>> third goal

Old
01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
yeah...I've found that he seems to always go for the big hit, and rarely(again, what I've seen) for the functional hit to knock someone off the puck.

Granted he's got weight to throw around...but he seems to use it solely when players offbalance and in postions where they're going to make a big splash.
See this is exactly what I was talking about when I said hitting is more important in Brown's game. Ovechkin doesn't use it to get the puck from guys, he does it to make Sportscenter.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
See this is exactly what I was talking about when I said hitting is more important in Brown's game. Ovechkin doesn't use it to get the puck from guys, he does it to make Sportscenter.
And Brown does the opposite? His hits on Pronger, Lidstrom and whoever the other star was were clearly intended to knock the guy to the ground, not at all to "get the puck." Brown almost nevers hits to steal the puck or create space; he does it because he just loves to hit and lay people out. I can't imagine that you'd disagree, since that's what everyone loves about him, afterall. Ovechkin is the same way.

Closed Thread