HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The law of diminishing returns????

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2005, 11:32 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
The law of diminishing returns????

Okay I will start the official Paul Kariya bashing thread and here it is.

Now of course he is the best talent that the Predators have ever had on the team but at 4.5 million he has not produced for us. With the higher scoring in the league he should be above his career average in points but instead is hovering right at the same number. We are not getting what we are paying for. I also expected a guy that could and would take this team on his back and carry us through times like this but alas it has been our fourth line or call-ups that have done that job.

He hasnít been a playmaker at all this year with his passing and he has been burying about a tenth of the chances that are put on his stick so we canít call him a sniper eitherÖ..What is it that we are getting for our 4.5 million?

Old
12-31-2005, 12:23 AM
dulzhok

He hasn't played at superstar status, but he hasn't been a big disappointment.

For all the scoring chances he misses, he'll score on a not-so-great scoring chance to 'somewhat' makeup for it. Also, many of those scoring chances he misses are scoring chances the 'average' NHL player wouldn't have the skills to get in that position to begin with.

He is capable of more. If he can bury a few more the chances he creates, he'll meet my expecatations. Health is another big issue.

I would be surprised to see him on our team past his 2 year contract. Can't see him thriving in the NHL through his 30's.

Last edited by dulzhok: 12-31-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Old
12-31-2005, 12:33 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

What a disappointment that Paul Kariya has been, as a playmaker. When you've got world-class snipers like Vernon Fiddler on your line...there's NO EXCUSE not to be producing.

No fair putting this on Kariya. It's not his fault there's no finish on this team right now. Hell, I'd take good SHOTS. I won't get greedy asking for goals.

Old
12-31-2005, 12:48 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
NMK this is exactly the time that I would expect PK to step up no matter who he is paired with. This is where we need him but he has been invisible but the call-ups have saved our bacon.

Dulzhok I find it amazing that you will give PK and his 4.5 million a free pass but Legwand and his 1.something million get railed every game.

Please notice I am talking about diminishing returns, meaning that though the product is good it isn't worth what we are paying.

Old
12-31-2005, 12:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Have to go with NMK and dulzhok on this one. And to nine_inch....your exactly right on the last comment. Most of his scoring chances are due to his talent/smarts. I think him and Legwand were really starting to click before going down....hopefully Leggy will come back healthy and the two can resume the nightly breakaway and solid top line performance.

12-31-2005, 08:05 AM
predperson

I just keep thinking (probably hoping is a better word) that PK will go on a "tear" and really start burying some of his chances. Maybe this thread will create some positive MOJO.

I gotta admit, I expected more from him.....he does lead the team in shots but his shooting percentage is #8 on our team and #191 across the league. I do still have hope that this can change.

Old
12-31-2005, 02:41 PM
Predonater

Injuries are much more far reaching than those who are the injured. That would be the case here. Kariya hasn't had that "man" next to him that can help play off him and generate for Kariya.

Old
12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Dulzhok I find it amazing that you will give PK and his 4.5 million a free pass but Legwand and his 1.something million get railed every game.
Simple... Kariya is making things happen offensively on a consistent basis. That's what a scoringline player does. Like I said, I'd like to see for him to bury a few more chances.

Evaluating salaries isn't a simple as "oh, he gets paid 1 million and had 30 points, so someone getting paid 4 million should have 120 points" (as you implied above).

Kariya is getting paid "star" money (not superstar money). He's scoring a point-per-game clip. That's on pace with what a "star" player should be scoring. But like a said, he's capable of more and I expect more out of him before the season is over.

But he's helped our teams in other ways than just scoring at a point-per-game pace. He's really opened the door for Sullivan to do as well as he's doing. Without Kariya, opposing defenses would be zero-ing in on Sullivan and limiting his effectivness. Playing on sepearte lines at ES, we are rolling scoringline 1A and scoringline 1B. Opposing coaches don't know who to match up their best defensive players with. On the powerplay, we have weapons all around, and defenses can't zero in on just Sullivan. Our record isn't where it is without Kariya, however I do still expect a tad more.

Closed Thread