HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Season 2016/2017

Old
06-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Finnpin
"internet"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
8 clubs officially on notice that if they don't pay salaries owed by June 25th, they will not be allowed to play next season.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2016, 10:55 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
There were surprises in KHL playoff. Not one. Now i can remember only to Riga and SKA few years ago in 1. (2. ?) round. But there were more of them. Also in 2009, if im correct. Its not impossible, that it can happen next year.
Who could imagine, that Lev Praha will play on finals?
What I meant was that I fear there will be less and less surprises due to financial gaps getting wider - not there was no surprises at all. Previous years offered some shocks in this sense, yet there is not a single series I'd call a big surprise in 2015/16. Dynamo sweeping Sochi? Maybe. SKA demolishing Loko? Yeah, unexpected. Salavat prevailing over Avangard? No, as an Avangard fan, I can definitely say this was by no means a surprise.

Everyone knows some teams will never be good enough to win a cup but at least they should be competitive. Remember how Yugra did last year before losing Gusev and how they horribly fell apart after his departure. As years pass, teams like CSKA, SKA, Dynamo etc. solidify their positions while the others get shakier - for the very reason that has been spoken about for at least a million times in this forum: clubs can't sustain themselves on their own or thanks to sponsors, they need more than that to stay afloat.

I can't say I am a big fan of NHL system yet KHL needs to implement something more balanced and effective than what it now has. When you set a so-called salary cap of, let's say, 10 million Euros per year but half of the teams have less than 5 to spend, then it makes no sense. I am OK with Astana not winning a cup for 20 years straight, but at least for one season, I would like to be able to say, "Wow, this team has some cool reinforcements and will improve a lot!" which is almost never the case for teams of that scale. Some people come and go and they always walk the floor between 8th-12th places.

Now with eight clubs on notice... Wow.

hansomreiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Swedish KHL fan

Quote:
8 clubs officially on notice that if they don't pay salaries owed by June 25th, they will not be allowed to play next season.
Are the names of these clubs official? Could you please give reference?

Swedish KHL fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2016, 01:36 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Jussi View Post
you are not right, as usuall

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2016, 02:11 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
you are not right, as usuall
Dem Western agents and fifth columners at it again.

Old
06-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish KHL fan View Post
Are the names of these clubs official? Could you please give reference?
YLE story, said it was official KHL statement.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8930733

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2016, 02:00 PM
Swedish KHL fan

Quote:
YLE story, said it was official KHL statement.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8930733
Thanx

It is worrying if the league now fails to establish any new team in China and then have to throw out 8 teams from the league. When you see articles like this one allready in december, at least I thought that Red Star Kunlun was cleared. Next season starts in two and a half month, and we don't know if the league will consist of 20 or 32 teams?!

Look at NHL. They are already now talking about the possibility to affiliate two new clubs: FOR THE 2017-18 SEASON. See:

https://www.nhl.com/news/expansion-p...ne/c-280841090

These clubs, Las Vegas and Quebec City, are probably a lot more prepared to play hockey than Luxemburg Crowns and Ilves Tallin.

Even the Ukrainian league have decided about the coming season; 8 teams decided and new name of the league:

http://xsport.ua/hockey_s/news/vosem...u-ligu_192215/

Soo, do we even have to worry about the future of KHL?

Last edited by Swedish KHL fan; 06-06-2016 at 01:58 PM..
Old
06-05-2016, 07:52 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Future of KHL has always been a concern in recent years. Them folding in next 5 to 10 years will not surprise me at all. Actually, all I hope for is that "future RSL" will be accessible from out of Russia so that I can keep watching the games. Unless the Chinese or some other market players keep pumping huge amounts of money into hockey, I honestly don't think KHL will remain around for much longer with these salaries and relatively low incomes - to keep this league running, you need one oligarch for each team who are willing to spend millions of euros just for the fun of hockey, or other sources to bring in money.

Old
06-06-2016, 02:09 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

KHL decided about structure of clubs for 15/16 season on June 17 2015, look Today is June 6 so we still have time. I dont know why are some of you suprised. Maybe you dont follow KHL closely and so tend to believe some antiKHL sources? I dont know.

As Chernyshenko said calendar for new season is already prepared, just waiting if chinese club joins.

I agree that some clubs may leave KHL in future, but it is normal process and btw league wants it, because new stronger clubs will replace them. Chernyshenko said it in last interview.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Jussi

Since when is the Finnish national broadcasting company "anti-KHL"?

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Thanx

It is worrying if the league now fails to establish any new team in China and then have to throw out 8 teams from the league. When you see articles like this one allready in december, at least I thought that Red Star Kunlun was cleared. Next season starts in two and a half month, and we don't know if the league will consist of 20 or 32 teams?!

Look at NHL. They are already now talking about the possibility to affiliate two new clubs: FOR THE 2017-18 SEASON. See:

https://www.nhl.com/news/expansion-p...ne/c-280841090

These clubs, Las Vegas and Quebec City, are probably a lot more prepared to play hockey than Luxemburg Crowns and Ilves Tallin.

Even the Ukrainian league have decided about the coming season; 8 teams decided and new name of the league:

http://xsport.ua/hockey_s/news/vosem...u-ligu_192215/

On the date that the NHL turned 75 years old, there were only 6 teams in the entire league. The KHL is far too big at this stage of development, in my opinion, and has far too many franchises that are underfunded and very poorly planned. These failed franchises will fall by the wayside, unfortunately, and the KHL is correct in resisting the temptation to prop up franchises with subsidies. Pay up your employees or drop your KHL affiliation. Russian-based franchises have the option of dropping down to the VHL, where salary requirements are much less demanding.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 04:02 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
On the date that the NHL turned 75 years old, there were only 6 teams in the entire league.
Actually.. 75th Anniversary was in 1991/92 Yakushev, 22 teams in the league at that point, and now of course 30 with talk of adding (or not) 2 more. The only era of stability the NHL's enjoyed was between 1942/67 when there were just the 6 teams, often referred to incorrectly as "The Original 6". During that period the League was ruled like a Fiefdom by James Norris Sr, owner of the Detroit Red Wings, bought the Chicago Blackhawks then left his Daughter & Son in charge of Detroit; owned the controlling shares of Madison Square Garden in New York & thus controlled the NY Rangers; had loaned $$$ to the Boston Bruins who were hit hard during WW2 and hence beholden to him. Only Toronto & Montreal independent. Sardonically referred to as the Norris Hockey League.

Before then, from 1917 when the NHL was formed out of the NHA (National Hockey Association, founded in 1909) to 1942, it was absolutely the Wild Wild West with teams coming & going at a Hell of a rate. Philadelphia, St. Louis, the NY/Brooklyn Americans (all 3 teams either controlled or owned outright by an Al Capone era colleague by the name of Big Bill Dwyer, involved in Loansharking, Gambling, Prostitution, Bootlegging etc), Montreal Maroons, Ottawa Senators etc. From 1967/68 on when the league finally expanded by 6 teams, only doing so because of threats from the US Justice Department (Anti-Trust, Monopoly) & with some vague idea that theyd secure a lucrative National TV Contract in the States did they go ahead.

And of those 6 new teams, only Philadelphia has remained relatively trouble free. The California/Oakland Seals gone, moved to Cleveland, then amalgamated with Minnesota & moved up north; Minnesota relocated to Dallas... Pittsburgh never turning a profit, nearly moved several times. St. Louis despite its early success never any great shakes, troubled ownership. Los Angeles anemic at the gate but for a brief period in the 70's, picking up only when Gretzky arrived in the 80's. All kinds of horror stories about the Atlanta Flames; the NY Islanders (now in Brooklyn) never making a dime & losing millions even when they were winning Cups... Just on & on & on... So yes, your points valid, very valid. The KHL is going to have growing pains, going to have to find its way just as the NHL did (arguably still is searching as its a far from perfect business model, in fact seriously flawed).

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Go Donbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Actually.. 75th Anniversary was in 1991/92 Yakushev, 22 teams in the league at that point, and now of course 30 with talk of adding (or not) 2 more. The only era of stability the NHL's enjoyed was between 1942/67 when there were just the 6 teams, often referred to incorrectly as "The Original 6". During that period the League was ruled like a Fiefdom by James Norris Sr, owner of the Detroit Red Wings, bought the Chicago Blackhawks then left his Daughter & Son in charge of Detroit; owned the controlling shares of Madison Square Garden in New York & thus controlled the NY Rangers; had loaned $$$ to the Boston Bruins who were hit hard during WW2 and hence beholden to him. Only Toronto & Montreal independent. Sardonically referred to as the Norris Hockey League.

Before then, from 1917 when the NHL was formed out of the NHA (National Hockey Association, founded in 1909) to 1942, it was absolutely the Wild Wild West with teams coming & going at a Hell of a rate. Philadelphia, St. Louis, the NY/Brooklyn Americans (all 3 teams either controlled or owned outright by an Al Capone era colleague by the name of Big Bill Dwyer, involved in Loansharking, Gambling, Prostitution, Bootlegging etc), Montreal Maroons, Ottawa Senators etc. From 1967/68 on when the league finally expanded by 6 teams, only doing so because of threats from the US Justice Department (Anti-Trust, Monopoly) & with some vague idea that theyd secure a lucrative National TV Contract in the States did they go ahead.

And of those 6 new teams, only Philadelphia has remained relatively trouble free. The California/Oakland Seals gone, moved to Cleveland, then amalgamated with Minnesota & moved up north; Minnesota relocated to Dallas... Pittsburgh never turning a profit, nearly moved several times. St. Louis despite its early success never any great shakes, troubled ownership. Los Angeles anemic at the gate but for a brief period in the 70's, picking up only when Gretzky arrived in the 80's. All kinds of horror stories about the Atlanta Flames; the NY Islanders (now in Brooklyn) never making a dime & losing millions even when they were winning Cups... Just on & on & on... So yes, your points valid, very valid. The KHL is going to have growing pains, going to have to find its way just as the NHL did (arguably still is searching as its a far from perfect business model, in fact seriously flawed).
Very nice recap. Interesting point about the Minnesota North Stars/Cleveland Barons. When the North Stars left Minneapolis the ownership actually split the franchise and the San Jose Sharks were formed as a result with the remaining half going to Dallas. So in a weird way, the California Seals came full circle.

Go Donbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

Thanks for the correction on the date, but my point was that it took many years for the NHL to stabilize and grow into a viable league. It will take a similar effort from the KHL to bring stability and growth. Many will fall by the wayside. If I were to be critical, it would be for failing to be stringent enough to make sure franchises are really fit to survive, and to seek expansion before the infrastructure existed to support it. But it doesn't look like the KHL is going away anytime soon. The support at the WC this year shows that people in Russia are ready for more and better hockey, and other participating countries are for the most part similarly avid.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Donbass View Post
Very nice recap. Interesting point about the Minnesota North Stars/Cleveland Barons. When the North Stars left Minneapolis the ownership actually split the franchise and the San Jose Sharks were formed as a result with the remaining half going to Dallas. So in a weird way, the California Seals came full circle.
Yes, they did indeed. The Gunds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Thanks for the correction on the date, but my point was that it took many years for the NHL to stabilize and grow into a viable league. It will take a similar effort from the KHL to bring stability and growth. Many will fall by the wayside. If I were to be critical, it would be for failing to be stringent enough to make sure franchises are really fit to survive, and to seek expansion before the infrastructure existed to support it.
Yes, I understood, agreed with and bolstered support for your opinion about the KHL in illustrating the NHL's slow road to stability starting in 1942, lasting through 1967. Before & after that roughly 25yr period, all kinds of instability, instability that is still going on to this day with a number of franchises & markets.... So sure, lots of parallels, similarities (NHL is abysmal in supporting market development & growth, gouging new ownership groups with insane Expansion Fee's & debt on new buildings that many can never get out from underneath on) between the 2 leagues. Quite a long list of issues really.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Yes, they did indeed. The Gunds.

Yes, I understood, agreed with and bolstered support for your opinion about the KHL in illustrating the NHL's slow road to stability starting in 1942, lasting through 1967. Before & after that roughly 25yr period, all kinds of instability, instability that is still going on to this day with a number of franchises & markets.... So sure, lots of parallels, similarities (NHL is abysmal in supporting market development & growth, gouging new ownership groups with insane Expansion Fee's & debt on new buildings that many can never get out from underneath on) between the 2 leagues. Quite a long list of issues really.
Very true. There are a myriad of problems to overcome, but it seems to me that the KHL will continue to offer the benefit of a major hockey league situated in Europe, which may have the effect of spurring further growth in European hockey overall. Russian hockey will benefit from fan identification on a local and regional basis, and the provision of more and better job opportunities for hockey players, which may in turn have the effect of spurring growth in youth hockey investment. Time will tell!

Old
06-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Swedish KHL fan

At least Severestal has provided financial guarantees for the 2016-17 season

http://www.sport.ru/hockey/Severstal...article312835/

Old
06-22-2016, 12:32 PM
JDogindy

So, does anybody actually know who will be playing this upcoming season? The KHL is pretty mum on that aspect.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Grandmaster
6 Stanley Cups

vCash: 126
My family is from Yaroslavl, and I have never found a way to watch the games, does anyone have a way that I've yet to find?

Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 02:42 PM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
My family is from Yaroslavl, and I have never found a way to watch the games, does anyone have a way that I've yet to find?
I suppose that you can buy subscription on KHL website. Is it not an option? However, I've seen many people complain about the quality of stream - people say it freezes even with great connections and I personally can confirm that. For 2015/16 season, I bought a play-off subscription but was unable to watch a single game smoothly. It just keeps freezing over and over again...

laola1.tv also streams a lot of games but in recent years, Loko was not one of their "home" teams - so I guess you could catch some away games of them but that's an inconsistent way to follow your team. Moreover, laola1.tv streams almost never have commentators.

Normally, you can buy subscription through this page but now it seems there is nothing,

http://video.khl.ru/main

Don't worry about the language - it's quite easy to register and make purchase. I think there is no English version for this "video" page.

Old
06-24-2016, 05:01 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
there are tons of russian tv subscription online too, that have KHL tv live as well

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Swedish KHL fan

"Participants will be approved by the KHL July 6, the calendar of the season 2016/17 - 15 July"

http://www.sport.ru/hockey/Kalendar_...article314804/

July 6! I thought that this was the day when they would tell me: "OK, we have Kunlun and we have the same 28 teams as last year". I just have to wait another week.

Old
06-30-2016, 06:48 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
"Participants will be approved by the KHL July 6, the calendar of the season 2016/17 - 15 July"

http://www.sport.ru/hockey/Kalendar_...article314804/

July 6! I thought that this was the day when they would tell me: "OK, we have Kunlun and we have the same 28 teams as last year". I just have to wait another week.
If you wish to hear it from someone else, I can tell you that. However, it seems there will be no change at all except for the inclusion of Kunlun.Maybe, for this very reason, they see no need to rush things.

Old
06-30-2016, 07:30 AM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
If you wish to hear it from someone else, I can tell you that. However, it seems there will be no change at all except for the inclusion of Kunlun.Maybe, for this very reason, they see no need to rush things.
How about the handful of teams that have received a notice and are de facto in financial trouble and seeking financial approval to be allowed to play?

No need to rush things? Confirmation of teams is going to be announced 5 weeks (!) prior start of regular season.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2016, 08:40 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX View Post
How about the handful of teams that have received a notice and are de facto in financial trouble and seeking financial approval to be allowed to play?

No need to rush things? Confirmation of teams is going to be announced 5 weeks (!) prior start of regular season.
Atas2000 told in that thread about schedule announcement that there will be no demotion - he shared no sources yet I take his words as reliable since he's Russian and he probably has access to lots of sources & information we cannot put hands onto.

I am not saying they should not rush things; it's just maybe they don't think it's necessary since not much will change. What difference would it make for teams to know about schedule? As long as they are fine, fans can wait.