HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI/NYR Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2005, 06:30 PM
rizzo32

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to rizzo32
NYI/NYR Proposal

To NYI:Tom Poti

To NYR:Janne Niinimaa

Old
12-31-2005, 06:41 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Id rather keep Poti then have Niinimaa.

Old
12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Id rather keep Poti then have Niinimaa.
and i'd rather keep Niinimaa then have Poti.Isles really need a defenseman who's strong in his own end.

Old
12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

We could go through the myriad of reasons why this would not work for the Isles but two questiosn first:

1) When was the last time the Isles and Rangers made a deal (and, deals that didn't actually happen, like the rumored Palffy move, do not count)?

2) How many times are we going to see this silly proposal posted here? This is about the 10th time I've read this deal this season.

Old
12-31-2005, 07:04 PM
meck

hooray for ex oiler defenseman !

Old
12-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
We could go through the myriad of reasons why this would not work for the Isles but two questiosn first:

1) When was the last time the Isles and Rangers made a deal (and, deals that didn't actually happen, like the rumored Palffy move, do not count)?

2) How many times are we going to see this silly proposal posted here? This is about the 10th time I've read this deal this season.
Truth be told, this deal makes zero sense for either team. An NYR homer POV above notwithstanding, Niinimaa is a superior all around NHL dman to Poti. However, why would NYR want to take on an extra year's contract, when Poti's expires at year's end?

Likewise, what ails NYI is far beyond anything Tom Poti could begin to cure. Adding Poti's atrocious defensive zone play, would be pouring kerosene on a fire (the Isles team D).

All that said, an NYI/NYR trade is a bit more plausible currently, as the Isles are anything but a threat to the top teams in the conference, NYR included, as much as it pains me to say that.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-01-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old
01-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
It's not like he is saying Niinimaa is a superior all around defenseman compared to Blake, Pronger or Lidstrom. He said he is a better defenseman then Poti, which i think most would agree.
No, he is saying he is superior to Poti (not better), which after seeing many Islander games this year, I would disagree with.

Besides DiPietro, I would classify Niinimaa as the most disappointing Isle player I've seen this year.

Poti, who was absolutely horrible in the beginning of the season, has played better recently.

If anything, on potential in their game, Niinimaa is better (but not SUPERIOR) than Poti.

And no, I would not do this trade.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:14 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo72

Why would the Isles do this?

this proposal is a bit pointless so get a clue

01-01-2006, 01:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Its quite obvious you have not seen Niinimaa play this season. And Poti has done a complete 180 since the start of the season for us.

And lets take a look at some stats this season:

Poti - 32GP / 2G / 11A / 13P / +8 / 38PIM
Niia - 37GP / 1G / 9A / 10P / -6 / 58 PIM

Last edited by barrytrotzsneck: 01-02-2006 at 05:17 AM.
Old
01-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Its quite obvious you have not seen Niinimaa play this season. And Poti has done a complete 180 since the start of the season for us.
I've seen him play, I've seen his stats and I know about his spat with the coach.

Would you trade Iginla who has sucked this year for say guy like Prospal who's having a great year?

Exaggaration to make point, I know. I'm just trying to say that Niinimaa is far better player than Poti and I'm willing to bet that just about every GM in the league would trade Poti for Niinimaa if given a chance.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:51 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I've seen him play, I've seen his stats and I know about his spat with the coach.

Would you trade Iginla who has sucked this year for say guy like Prospal who's having a great year?

Exaggaration to make point, I know. I'm just trying to say that Niinimaa is far better player than Poti and I'm willing to bet that just about every GM in the league would trade Poti for Niinimaa if given a chance.
Well all I am saying is that I would not do the trade, Poti is gone after this year for us (not sure how many Years Niininaa has left), he knows the system the team plays, since being a healthy scratched his game has improved and over the past 2 weeks it looks like he got some conifidence back scoring 2 goals in 3 games. From the times i've watch Niinimaa play this season he has not looked like an improvment over the current Poti.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Pepper

2 weeks?? 3 goals?? That's REALLY small sample size you know...

Old
01-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper

I actually think that Janne N.'s "poor season" gets overblown on this board. Except for that horrible first month when he took all those bad penalties, he has looked OK defensively. On some nights, he has been the Isles best dman. The problem is that he is partnered with very weak players, like Brad Lukowich (who has been terrible himself lately). Janne N is simply not a franchise player, and when he has a bottom pairing guy as a his partner, he starts running around and make bad choices.

I also think the Isles are making a major mistake by not letting him have an offensive role. Using Sopel and Martinek on the point instead of Janne N. is a real head scratcher.

Poti is a different story all together. Despite the lack of points, I still think he has elite offensive skills. And, in that regard, I see him as being several notches above Janne N. Still, he looks lost out there. Horrible defensive reads, mind numbing choices, and constantly out of position. I've often wondered whether it might make more sense to just move him to the wing. I'm confident he would easily clear waivers right now, and I doubt he'll be back in NY next season.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Skroob*

AFAIK, there has never been a direct trade between NYI and NYR

Old
01-01-2006, 08:32 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:

Poti is a different story all together. Despite the lack of points, I still think he has elite offensive skills. And, in that regard, I see him as being several notches above Janne N. Still, he looks lost out there. Horrible defensive reads, mind numbing choices, and constantly out of position. I've often wondered whether it might make more sense to just move him to the wing. I'm confident he would easily clear waivers right now, and I doubt he'll be back in NY next season.

Are you talking about Tom Poti?

I live in upstate NY and watch Rangers/Devils/Islanders/Sabres games almost every single day.

Hands down without question Tom Poti has been as good if not better than Janne N. With that aside, NYR won't make this trade because we lose Potis contract at years end while JN has what.. 2 years on his deal?

Old
01-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

The only part of your post I agree with is the contact issue. The notion that Poti has suddenly turned his game around is nonsense.

Old
01-01-2006, 09:59 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Tom Poti has been better in all aspects this year than Nins has been. Poti is actually playing :: gasp :: defense as of late! It's something he must've learned at purse swinging school or something like that.

Enough trashing Poti aside, he's turned the corner and I think he's been one of our better players for the most part as of late (wow, never thought I'd ever say something like that...).

Old
01-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo72

No thanks. Ill keep Niinimaa. But I see where you are going wiht this. Two players who cant be good where they are.

Old
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:

Isles traded Troy Loney to the Rangers the night that they played each other. Thats the last one I remember. Obviously not a blockbuster move either.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Loney was not traded. He was waived by the Isles, and claimed by the Ranger$. There have, in fact, been a number of players who moved from one team to the other via similar mechanisms, such as Eric Cairns. There just haven't been trades between the two teams.

Old
01-02-2006, 05:20 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I had planned to leave this thread open after I cleaned it up...but it's simply not worth it, anyway. Some of you need to stick to the topic without bringing your feelings toward individual posters into it.

GONG

Closed Thread