HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oil/Avs-GamedayThread Oct.18/03

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 09:56 PM
G-Double

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
No problem. I don't think Torres was benched at all. Just there was little time for him to play as MacT didn't use him there much. It was either a pk or a pp opportunity and I don't think MacT really trusted him to be out there in either case.

Let's see. I think these were the powerplay looks... someone correct me if I'm wrong

PP 1
Smyth Hemsky York
Cross Staios

The second powerplay wasn't really well defined. At times MacT used the line of Dvorak, Chimera, and Reasoner and Horcoff, Laraque and Isbister. They each about 2-3 minutes of pp time.

As the d pairing... Staios was on there some of the time along with Brewer and Semenov.
Thanks again Momentai, i was stuck at work, not that i have a TV or center ice (or even cable for that matter) at my house..

Old
10-18-2003, 10:03 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
Thanks again Momentai, i was stuck at work, not that i have a TV or center ice (or even cable for that matter) at my house..
No problem. Happy to help.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
what a great, never thought the oilers would out-score the avs on special team 4-3

Old
10-18-2003, 10:42 PM
dem

Only thing to say after tonight is YAY. Life is just better when your team wins

Also... how is Ryan Smyth not captain of this team? This guy is the heart of the team. Maybe its different in the dressing room, but this guy is the team on the ice. I think the Oilers made a mistake not making him the captain.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Only thing to say after tonight is YAY. Life is just better when your team wins

Also... how is Ryan Smyth not captain of this team? This guy is the heart of the team. Maybe its different in the dressing room, but this guy is the team on the ice. I think the Oilers made a mistake not making him the captain.
i think it would have been too much pressure on Smyth after Doug Weight left

Old
10-18-2003, 11:04 PM
dem

Seems to me the guy thrives no matter what you throw at him.

"Hey Smitty.. you wanna take a try at d tonight?"

Old
10-18-2003, 11:23 PM
mamettt

Did not see the game tonight, I ended up going to watch the yankee game and then bar hopping. Very fun. Anyways, just got home, it's 4:30 in the morning, and I'm thrilled that the oilers won. Will discuss more tommorow. How the hell did we beat them 6-3?

Old
10-18-2003, 11:29 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Tonights game showed that the Oilers do have the ability to beat anyone if they wanted to...its just a matter of showing up for the game.

I think Staios and Smyth's play in the game overshadowed Salo's fine play as well. If there was one game so far in which he stole for us, this would be it. He had a couple of timely saves especially during the PKs in the third...most notably the stacked pads save. The Kariya goal was whatever...Blake's goal was an absolute laser, and Salo was caught off guard after the faceoff...and he had no chance on the Tanguay goal, so I think Salo deserves a lot of credit tonight as well.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:58 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Anyone dissapointed with the amount of penalties called? A bunch of garbage calls, and a few noticable non-calls. What a joke . Of course, it helps when you guys can score SH eh? . I look forward to the rematch on Thursday. Hopefully Aebischer can stop the puck a little bit better than Sauve tonight, the Oilers gave him a nice taste of the NHL
The thursday game should be very interesting, I'll expect the Avalanche will come out swarming and try to end it early.

If there's one thing I took from this game regarding your team, it's this: Their whole strategy seems to revolve around doing everything in their power to get on the power play. Just scary when they're zipping that puck around.

I thought Sauve played well tonight for the most part, but dude...he handled the puck like a teenage boy handles his first backseat adventure.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:43 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
but dude...he handled the puck like a teenage boy handles his first backseat adventure.

By the way, I think the intimidation-factor of that thing in your avatar has been an overlooked factor this season. It brings the message board an element that's been missing, and makes trolls keep their heads up when they enter the zone.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:59 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Torres is a little brat!
A little brat? Personally I thought he was extremely rude. That pie in the face act was humiliating and showed a total lack of respect and class imo.

Torres = PUNK!

Edit: Looks like I'm the only one who feels this way but that's okay... I'm sticking to my opinion. I was very embarrassed for Isbister; it was just a tacky tacky prank to pull on National TV. I was not impressed in the least.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie

By the way, I think the intimidation-factor of that thing in your avatar has been an overlooked factor this season. It brings the message board an element that's been missing, and makes trolls keep their heads up when they enter the zone.
I'm pretty scared of the kitten, too. They'd make a great tag-team out there.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:21 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
A little brat? Personally I thought he was extremely rude. That pie in the face act was humiliating and showed a total lack of respect and class imo.

Torres = PUNK!

Edit: Looks like I'm the only one who feels this way but that's okay... I'm sticking to my opinion. I was very embarrassed for Isbister; it was just a tacky tacky prank to pull on National TV. I was not impressed in the least.
Sorry man, you are alone here. The rest of us saw it as a sign of a close team. The fact that Torres would do that on national TV to Issy means that they are close enough for it to be a joke. And that is a good sign for our team.

Supposedly the Oilers have always had the closest lockeroom and this was just a sign of it. I'm sure Issy will get back at Torres at some point during the year and most importantly Torres knows that too. It was all in good fun and if isbister wasn't embarrassed then I don't see why you should be. He was the butt of the joke this time, but it wasn't meant to humiliate or demean him at all. I'm sure Issy understands that and is probably planning his revenge right now. And Torres has got to be expecting it.

That gesture really shows alot how our guys are coming along as a team. Normally you don't see that kind of thing till later in the season. I think it bodes well for us.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Sorry man, you are alone here. The rest of us saw it as a sign of a close team. The fact that Torres would do that on national TV to Issy means that they are close enough for it to be a joke. And that is a good sign for our team.

Supposedly the Oilers have always had the closest lockeroom and this was just a sign of it. I'm sure Issy will get back at Torres at some point during the year and most importantly Torres knows that too. It was all in good fun and if isbister wasn't embarrassed then I don't see why you should be. He was the butt of the joke this time, but it wasn't meant to humiliate or demean him at all. I'm sure Issy understands that and is probably planning his revenge right now. And Torres has got to be expecting it.

That gesture really shows alot how our guys are coming along as a team. Normally you don't see that kind of thing till later in the season. I think it bodes well for us.
I'm not at all against pranks; I thrive on them. :p

It's just the timing thing that I think was all wrong. The Oilers had a whale of a game and I was looking forward to hearing Isbister's interview. It was obvious that after Torres through the pie in Isbister's face that the whole interview when to pot.

You could tell, or at least I could tell that all three men who were left to finish up the interview were if not embarrassed (which I think they were) at least felt uncomfortable.

It's a little difficult trying to conduct an interview with someone who has whipped cream spewing out of his nose and out of his ears who is constantly reaching for towels to clean themselves up with.

Maybe Torres could have pulled that prank at the END of the interview so we all could have actually enjoyed it, or better yet... in the dressing room.

Like I said, I might be alone on this one but there's no denying that I felt extremely embarrassed for Isbister and I hope to see/hear him next time when he's not at the butt end of someone's prank.

One thing is for sure though, from now on I'll be expecting the unexpected from the After Hours Show in the future. Not exactly the route I'd like the show to take though.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Hairball

I have one thing to say on the game. We won this one in the off season when we hired Simpson. No way do we win that game with last years power play. That's 1 game that Lowe has won for us this year.

Other than that, Right ********** On!!! What a great game! Here's hoping for consistency this year.

Minny really seems out of place in our division.

I hate Forsberg now. He was the diving queen out there last night. I counted at least three. He finally drew a call on the third. Someone should really rearrange his face. He's now up there with Hatcher and Gauthier on my hate list.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:10 AM
KrazyCanuck19

Gotta give the Oilers their props on this game. They played an excellent transititional game and capitalized on their chances. The Oilers were able to expose the only weak link on the Avs, their goaltending.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:30 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck19
Gotta give the Oilers their props on this game. They played an excellent transititional game and capitalized on their chances. The Oilers were able to expose the only weak link on the Avs, their goaltending.
Their PP defence wasnt too great...i think that helped more than anything (scoring the 2 goals on the PK)

Old
10-19-2003, 11:00 AM
dem

Quote:
I'm not at all against pranks; I thrive on them. :p

It's just the timing thing that I think was all wrong. The Oilers had a whale of a game and I was looking forward to hearing Isbister's interview. It was obvious that after Torres through the pie in Isbister's face that the whole interview when to pot.

You could tell, or at least I could tell that all three men who were left to finish up the interview were if not embarrassed (which I think they were) at least felt uncomfortable.

It's a little difficult trying to conduct an interview with someone who has whipped cream spewing out of his nose and out of his ears who is constantly reaching for towels to clean themselves up with.

Maybe Torres could have pulled that prank at the END of the interview so we all could have actually enjoyed it, or better yet... in the dressing room.

Like I said, I might be alone on this one but there's no denying that I felt extremely embarrassed for Isbister and I hope to see/hear him next time when he's not at the butt end of someone's prank.

One thing is for sure though, from now on I'll be expecting the unexpected from the After Hours Show in the future. Not exactly the route I'd like the show to take though.

Seriously.. lighten up!
Its just boys being boys.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:05 AM
dem

Something else to add :p

Can you believe Marty Reasoner was on waivers last year and no one picked him up? Thank god!

Old
10-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
Their PP defence wasnt too great...i think that helped more than anything (scoring the 2 goals on the PK)
Remember it's Colorado. Any other team should be cause for concern. Against them, it's best just to stay out of the penalty box. Your right tho, getting 2 SH goals kinda offsets it.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Seriously.. lighten up!
Seriously... lighten up? Okay, that's a good oxymoron. lol

I obviously don't share the same sense of humour as you and that's fine by me. Or maybe I should tell you to stop goofing around and be serious.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours but I generally refrain from telling people HOW they should feel. After all that is the purpose of posting one's opinion on message boards: to express one's thoughts and feelings.

Just b/c my opinion isn't the same as yours doesn't mean that it's not worthy and my opinion on this particular matter is that Torres' prank was NOT funny.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:32 PM
TheChase

What a great game ... good effort from all lines. Top notch Staios
I hope the leaque really starts to take a good look at the pathetic
diving of Forsberg and starts calling him on it. For a while there I thought I was watching WWF WRESTLING with all his faking.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:33 PM
dem

Quote:
Seriously... lighten up? Okay, that's a good oxymoron. lol

I obviously don't share the same sense of humour as you and that's fine by me. Or maybe I should tell you to stop goofing around and be serious.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are to yours but I generally refrain from telling people HOW they should feel. After all that is the purpose of posting one's opinion on message boards: to express one's thoughts and feelings.

Just b/c my opinion isn't the same as yours doesn't mean that it's not worthy and my opinion on this particular matter is that Torres' prank was NOT funny.
Wow.. another post showing you really need to lighten up

im done.. :p

Old
10-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Wow.. another post showing you really need to lighten up

im done.. :p
I have no problem lightening up, I just have a problem when someone else tells me to do so.

Okay, I feel much lighter now.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Lowetide

I can certainly understand Thalia's point of view. However, it was handled well and does show that there's some togetherness.

Along with youth.

As for lightening up, well I don't know about anyone else but it always pisses me off when I express something and then get a "lighten up". We don't know a thing about Thalia, could be a stand up comic.

These boards lately have really turned into the New Jersey hair splitting society.

Thalia had an opinion. Expressed it. Agree or disagree.

But why the constant need to attach some kind of personal aside to the comments and imply superiority?

I don't get it, I'll be honest.

Closed Thread