HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jarome Iginla - one of the most over paid players

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Bab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Ok then, what's your point?

Do you even have one?
I think Iginla is a mediocre finisher. Using your logic, you said: how can Iginla be a mediocre finisher if he isn't even getting any shots.

I think that is silly logic, because it goes against your belief that Iginla is great scorer. Because, if he can't get any shots off how is he a great scorer?

It's just contradictory logic, but you went on a ramble about how I am confusing myself and all this other wack stuff.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Bab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
You can't keep counting on Iginla to just turn it on, what's his excuse for not doing it now?
Injury(pure speculation)

Old
01-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
You can't keep counting on Iginla to just turn it on, what's his excuse for not doing it now?
I didn't know I had such an impact on Iginla. All I can do is... wait.

Did I expect this? Yes, Iginla's a slow starter. It's not an excuse, because I wasn't predicting too much from him early. It's his MO, he doesn't start off very well.

I also believe he has a wrist injury, but thats my own personal belief, and I don't believe in excuses. Iginla has not played well.

As a fan, I look at bright side of all of this... the Flames are scoring a ton of goals, and its not coming from Iginla. I look at Iginla's track record, and see that he produces mostly in the 2nd half. The past 3 weeks are over, you can't do anything about it - all you can do is look forward to the next game and hope Iginla produces then.

And, I hope he does. But for now, its nice to see scoring coming from someone other then Iginla.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:30 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
I didn't know I had such an impact on Iginla. All I can do is... wait.

Did I expect this? Yes, Iginla's a slow starter. It's not an excuse, because I wasn't predicting too much from him early. It's his MO, he doesn't start off very well.

I also believe he has a wrist injury, but thats my own personal belief, and I don't believe in excuses. Iginla has not played well.

As a fan, I look at bright side of all of this... the Flames are scoring a ton of goals, and its not coming from Iginla. I look at Iginla's track record, and see that he produces mostly in the 2nd half. The past 3 weeks are over, you can't do anything about it - all you can do is look forward to the next game and hope Iginla produces then.

And, I hope he does. But for now, its nice to see scoring coming from someone other then Iginla.
But why is he a slow starter? does he just turn it on after Christmas, is it his conditioning? I am asking why doesn't he produce earlier.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:32 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
I think Iginla is a mediocre finisher. Using your logic, you said: how can Iginla be a mediocre finisher if he isn't even getting any shots.
Why is Iginla a mediocre finisher?

What evidence and/or stats do you have to back that up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
I think that is silly logic, because it goes against your belief that Iginla is great scorer. Because, if he can't get any shots off how is he a great scorer?
Because I look at what he's done over the past 3-4 years over what he did over the past 3-4 weeks. Iginla, when he won his 2 scoring titles, was around hte 5-7 shots per game margain. He's not shooting right now, so he's not scoring. That doesn't make him a mediocre scorer, that makes him a slumping player.

I've said it many times, but it doesn't get through to you, so I'll say it again... mediocre scorer's don't win 2 scoring titles. Mediocre scorers don't get 21 goals in 20 consecutive games.

Again, you want to say Iginla is a slow starter? True. You want to say Iginla in a slump? True. You want to say Iginla is playing like crap? He sure is.

Is he a mediocre scorer or finisher? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
It's just contradictory logic, but you went on a ramble about how I am confusing myself and all this other wack stuff.
Because you are

Old
01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
But why is he a slow starter? does he just turn it on after Christmas, is it his conditioning? I am asking why doesn't he produce earlier.
If your asking for my opinion, my guess (as a fan who doesn't know Iginla personally ect ect) is motivation. Iginla comes into camp as the top 3 most fit player on the team, this year winning the award (I beleive, or 2nd to Ference) and last year 2nd to only Gelinas. So its certainly not a conditioning issue.

I personally think its motivation. Iginla scored 21 goals in 20 games after playing in the Olympics. His breakout season came at the hands of the Olympics in 2002. Iginla's 2 best games of his life came in Game 7 vs Vancouver and Game 5 vs Tampa. All in all, Iginla plays his best games when they mean sometime. Iginla has to get into the game physically to be on his game, and he needs to drive himself to be intense. You wonder why he fights so much? That's how he gets himself into the game.

December has long been known as the "dog days" of the NHL, and while thats what seperates the good teams from the bad, Iginla seems to have a hard time getting up for games that (in the grand scheme of things) don't really matter.

My other venture of a guess - not an excuse, because I think Iginla is accountable for his play - is that Iginla is feeling the heat of the media. 3 years ago, Iginla was slumping and the coach brought in Dave Lowry to deal with the press and stand up as a leader. 2 years ago, it was Craig Conroy, Jamie McLennan and Ville Niemenen keeping the media happy when things weren't going well. Now? The media goes to Iginla's dressing room stall and asks "What's wrong, Jarome?" and I think its getting to his excuse. Yes, I know thats no excuse nor do I think its excuse since he is the captain, but that's my reasoning anyways and I think Iginla has to learn to deal with it.

And my 3rd is that he has a wrist injury, because his release - which use to be the best part of his game - is noticably slower, he's got about 10% of the power off his shot (see: his game vs Minnisota earlier this year and any shot he's taken over the past 3 weeks) and he's shooting straight into the goalie's chest and getting weak shots 5-hole. But... that's no excuse for his lack of physical play.

As for when he "turns it on" ... February. Every season.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:39 AM
Bab*

Quote:
Why is Iginla a mediocre finisher?

What evidence and/or stats do you have to back that up?

Because I look at what he's done over the past 3-4 years over what he did over the past 3-4 weeks. Iginla, when he won his 2 scoring titles, was around hte 5-7 shots per game margain. He's not shooting right now, so he's not scoring. That doesn't make him a mediocre scorer, that makes him a slumping player.

I've said it many times, but it doesn't get through to you, so I'll say it again... mediocre scorer's don't win 2 scoring titles. Mediocre scorers don't get 21 goals in 20 consecutive games.

Again, you want to say Iginla is a slow starter? True. You want to say Iginla in a slump? True. You want to say Iginla is playing like crap? He sure is.

Is he a mediocre scorer or finisher? Nope.

Because you are
Marian Hossa has the ability to score as many as Iginla. But can he can't score a breakway to save his life. He just has trouble finishing his chances, but he gets so many that he still gets lots of goals. That's just my opinion from what I have seen and heard, so stop making it sound so ridiculous, because it really is not.

And my position hasn't waivered at all, so for you to say I am confusing myself is just more childish BS from you.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:42 AM
imafan

Quote:
You really think he's entertaining?

The guy's a damn good player, he is a game breaker, he can dominate a game that very few in the NHL can do (only Forsberg comes to mind) and yes, he is a damn good scorer, but entertaining, he's not. Iginla gets most of his goals just off the half boards and in front of the net (off deflections and rebounds), but a entertainer, he's not.
ok I give up lol...

i simply meant that as are all hockey players, they are part of the entertainment industry and that iginla is one of the better entertainers in the league. when he scores do you yawn? cut the guy some slack! he's a great player.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:43 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Oh well, so much for hoping that the new year might bring some sanity.

Let's see, who has been slumping offensively lately? OK, now let's start an imflammatory, hyberbolic thread about how overrated and overpaid the player is. And best yet, let's cite recent personal offensive stats...while in our attention deficit disordered mind forget all about how he was the best player on the ice for the Flames throughout their 2004 playoff run. Nah, stats, October-December matter more.

Yep, that Iginla is no Kristian Huselius, that's for sure.

Some things never change....
C'on, if we did that then every other week Satan would have his own thread.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
C'on, if we did that then every other week Satan would have his own thread.
Ba-dum-ch.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
Marian Hossa has the ability to score as many as Iginla. But can he can't score a breakway to save his life. He just has trouble finishing his chances, but he gets so many that he still gets lots of goals. That's just my opinion from what I have seen and heard, so stop making it sound so ridiculous, because it really is not.
Markus Naslund hasn't scored on a break away / penelty shot this year either.

Is Markus Naslund a "mediocre finisher" ?

Iginla, when he's on his game, does his scoring from the half-boards and in front of the net. On the half boards, he scores because he has a quick, hard wrist shot. Ask Dwayne Roloson, who had no one screening him and nobody around him at all, but didn't even get a chance to move when Iginla wristed a shot just at the top of the faceoff dot.

What you say is rediculous, because that is exactly what it is. If your "mediocre" there is no way in hell that you can win 2 scoring titles. In fact, if your mediocre, your probably not even going to play on the 1st line. Iginla is one of the deadliest players in the league when he's working the half boards.

And what makes it puzzling is that you are saying he's proving it this season, when he's not even shooting or getting the chances, so how can you possibly know he can't finish the chances when he's not even getting them? Huge flaw in logic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
And my position hasn't waivered at all, so for you to say I am confusing myself is just more childish BS from you.
Uhh ... right. Whatever.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by imafan
when he scores do you yawn? cut the guy some slack! he's a great player.
No, but then again, I like the way the Flames play.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Bab*

Quote:
Markus Naslund hasn't scored on a break away / penelty shot this year either.

Is Markus Naslund a "mediocre finisher" ?

Iginla, when he's on his game, does his scoring from the half-boards and in front of the net. On the half boards, he scores because he has a quick, hard wrist shot. Ask Dwayne Roloson, who had no one screening him and nobody around him at all, but didn't even get a chance to move when Iginla wristed a shot just at the top of the faceoff dot.

What you say is rediculous, because that is exactly what it is. If your "mediocre" there is no way in hell that you can win 2 scoring titles. In fact, if your mediocre, your probably not even going to play on the 1st line. Iginla is one of the deadliest players in the league when he's working the half boards.

And what makes it puzzling is that you are saying he's proving it this season, when he's not even shooting or getting the chances, so how can you possibly know he can't finish the chances when he's not even getting them? Huge flaw in logic there.

Uhh ... right. Whatever.
Naslund has struggled to finish this year on the penalty shots. I would say this year he has been a good finisher but not as deadly as other years.

Also, I am mostly reffering to this year for his mediocre finishing abilities. Perhaps he hasn't been getting shots lately, but that surely can't be the case on the whole year to this date. I'm sure if it was, you would have said something about it when I orginally made the thread a couple of weeks ago.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:59 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
Also, I am mostly reffering to this year for his mediocre finishing abilities. Perhaps he hasn't been getting shots lately, but that surely can't be the case on the whole year to this date.
Nope, that wasn't. A couple weeks ago, Iginla was (by your definition) a good finisher (shoot me... I'm using your definition). Even then, his shots per game was significantly lower then his usual clip. In the past 3-4 weeks, he hasn't been shooting, so yes that is the case now. And even now, his one or two shots have not been great chances.

So, that kills your logic all together.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:02 AM
Bab*

Quote:
Nope, that wasn't. A couple weeks ago, Iginla was (by your definition) a good finisher (shoot me... I'm using your definition). Even then, his shots per game was significantly lower then his usual clip. In the past 3-4 weeks, he hasn't been shooting, so yes that is the case now. And even now, his one or two shots have not been great chances.

So, that kills your logic all together.
It doesn't kill anything. Three weeks don't make up the whole season last time I checked. Also, his 9+ goaless drought was over three weeks ago, so I don't see why saying he has been an avergae finisher this year is so rediculous.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:06 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bab
It doesn't kill anything. Three weeks don't make up the whole season last time I checked. Also, his 9+ goaless drought was over three weeks ago, so I don't see why saying he has been an avergae finisher this year is so rediculous.
Because he's not even getting the chances. According to your definition, he's mediocre because he's not finishing the chances, but he hasn't even got the chances or the shots for quite a while now.

3 weeks don't make a season, but neither does 38 (?) games. Talk to me at the end of the season, barring injury, I bet Iginla hits and surpasses the 40 goal mark.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Bab*

Quote:
Because he's not even getting the chances. According to your definition, he's mediocre because he's not finishing the chances, but he hasn't even got the chances or the shots for quite a while now.

3 weeks don't make a season, but neither does 38 (?) games. Talk to me at the end of the season, barring injury, I bet Iginla hits and surpasses the 40 goal mark.
Okay, I'll talk to you then.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:29 AM
PapaBear*

When you are being paid 7 mill a year, lack of motivation should be the last excuse on your list. When was the last time, a Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg played without motivation? Seriously, elite players bring it night in, night out. The fact that he has been completely invisible makes it hard to believe he is worth the 7 mill a year. I seriously, would have mistaken him for Wiemer tonight.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:31 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
When you are being paid 7 mill a year, lack of motivation should be the last excuse on your list. When was the last time, a Joe Sakic or Peter Forsberg played without motivation? Seriously, elite players bring it night in, night out. The fact that he has been completely invisible makes it hard to believe he is worth the 7 mill a year. I seriously, would have mistaken him for Wiemer tonight.
Well he was paid 7 mill last season, sucks for the first half of the season, but still managed to co-win the scoring title and lead his team to the finals then.

Was he a 7 mll waste then?

Old
01-01-2006, 03:33 AM
HackandLube

Flames fans are not happy with his performance either. Calpuck is full of posts complaining about how invisible Iginla is. Calgary's 4th line has been their best line for several games now.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:38 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Well he was paid 7 mill last season, sucks for the first half of the season, but still managed to co-win the scoring title and lead his team to the finals then.

Was he a 7 mll waste then?
but thats not my point. My point is, paying a guy this much money, having to wait 30+ games or 3 months whatever for them to turn it on is just unacceptable.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
but thats not my point. My point is, paying a guy this much money, having to wait 30+ games or 3 months whatever for them to turn it on is just unacceptable.
Well Sutter signed him knowing Iginla sleeps through the first half of the season, so I guess that was a risk Sutter was willing to take.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see Iginla pick up his game, but I'm not over the top about him the way Calgarypuck has (as HackandLoob referred to).

Old
01-01-2006, 03:41 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Well Sutter signed him knowing Iginla sleeps through the first half of the season, so I guess that was a risk Sutter was willing to take.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see Iginla pick up his game, but I'm not over the top about him the way Calgarypuck has (as HackandLoob referred to).
what, people are CP all over him?

Old
01-01-2006, 03:43 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I still say wait until April.. Jarome is a worldclass player, and may be hurt right now.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:48 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi
I still say wait until April.. Jarome is a worldclass player, and may be hurt right now.
What bothers me is Iginla accepts his slow starts, and uses the 1st half no-show as an excuse... I'm sorry Jarome, but if you are the highest paid player in the New NHL, you do NOT get to take half a season off. You got all your money, now it's time for you to earn it. Enough of this "I'll play in the 2nd half" BS... you play ALL season for $7 Mil, or give us $3.5 mil back!

Last edited by PapaBear*: 01-01-2006 at 03:55 AM.
Closed Thread