HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Phaneuf over Crosby and Ovechkin

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 01:15 PM
OrangeMan

vCash: 500
Phaneuf over Crosby and Ovechkin

I was shocked to hear the entire Flyer's broadcast crew agree that if they could take only one rookie, Phaneuf, Crosby or Ovechkin, that based on what they have seen so far this year, all three, Dornhoefer, Coates and Jackson, stated that they would take Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf. I really haven't seen much of Phaneuf, but is he really in the same class as Crosby and Oveckin?

Old
01-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I don't think so, but he is clearly #3.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Evilo

Phaneuf is awesome.
But I'd still take AO or Sid.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Well, it's a Flyers crew.

Obviously they are going to berate Crosby much like Pittsburgh media berated Eric Lindros back in the day.

Can't explain over Ovechkin though.

Phaneuf is great, I mean amazing. He damn well could be the best defenseman in the NHL in the near future. But I still wouldn't take him over Crosby or Ovechkin.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
01-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Phaneuf looks every bit like a Scott Stevens (back when Stevens was scoring 65-70 points with the Caps) or Chris Pronger. He's the top defenseman to come along in a very long time, and that's allowing for recent guys to emerge like Pitkanen, who is excellent in his own right.

Phaneuf shows every sign of being the best young player at his position in the league, and could very well have a case full of Norris trophies before he's done. That sounds like hyperbole, but the upside is something else and it could be the reality before long.

No asset on defense comes close in terms of value, upside, and guaranteed solid years with RFA tenure with his club. Comparisons are tough to make, but if you consider how much longer it usually takes for defensemen to mature, his season is as remarkable as anyone's, in my book. I hear he's essentially a top-pairing guy in terms of his play, on arguably the league's best defense, certainly top two NHL defense corps.

This season is re-writing the books for the Calder race.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Garbs

No rookie is ahead of Ovechkin at this point.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:31 PM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMan
I was shocked to hear the entire Flyer's broadcast crew agree that if they could take only one rookie, Phaneuf, Crosby or Ovechkin, that based on what they have seen so far this year, all three, Dornhoefer, Coates and Jackson, stated that they would take Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf. I really haven't seen much of Phaneuf, but is he really in the same class as Crosby and Oveckin?
Do not mind Cotsey. He is not very smart. For about 6 years now I am hoping that someday he will lose his job but I guess we are stuck with him just like we are stuck with Chris Therian
Ovechkin
Crosby
Phaneuf

Old
01-01-2006, 01:31 PM
John Flyers Fan

I'd take Crosby myself, but can't argue it too much.

Stud #1 defenseman are more difficult to find than centers or wingers.

With Richards and Carter, we already in good shape up the middle, and a defense corps based around Pitkanen and Phaneuf would be incredible.

I'm not sure how often a team has had the two best defenseman in the NHL, which is something you very well could have with Phaneuf/Pitkanen in the coming years.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Goldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I'd take Crosby myself, but can't argue it too much.

Stud #1 defenseman are more difficult to find than centers or wingers.
True, but Crosby's and Ovechkin's ceilings are much higher than simply "stud" status. Crosby has the potential be near Greztky's level and I'd say Ovechkin could be the next Gordie Howe. I'd argue that they are already playing at "stud" status right now.

All signs point to Phaneuf being a great defenseman someday, but I wouldn't put him on the same level as the other two.

Old
01-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
I'd take Phaneuf over Ovechkin and Ovy over Crosby. Like JFF said, #1 studs like Phaneuf are hard to find. I'd much rather build my team from my defensive zone out. Phaneuf's a great defenseman, even in this new NHL and those have been hard to come by. He's got all the tools to be a #1 for a long long time, and with the cap restrictions, you're going to be able to find scorers. You won't find too many Dion Phaneuf-style defensemen. Sure, you won't find players with talent like Ovechkin or Crosby in the bargain bin, but Phaneuf gives you leadership on the ice, and as he matures, leadership off it.

If I was building a team, I'd take care of my own zone first. Phaneuf is the best option for that.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Nice accolades for Phaneuf, especially coming from an eastern-based media team.

I hate when people compare him to forwards, though... especially when it's Crosby or Ovechkin. Phaneuf plays a completely different position and has different responsibilities. People like to look at stats and compare them, especially points.

Even as a defenceman, though, Phaneuf now has 23 points, on pace for 48 - including 19 goals. Plus, aside from Regehr, he's been Calgary's most steady defenceman.

Pretty impressive for a 20 year old rookie on the blueline, if you ask me.

Although, with all the talking hockey heads located east of Calgary, Ovechkin or Crosby will be hard to beat in the Calder race. Too bad, considering Phaneuf would have easily won it in any other year.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Bit of homerism... I'd take Sidney over AO and Phaneuf.

But... After seeing Ovechkin numerous times this season... I wouldn't cry if Ovechkin was on the Pens and Sidney on the Caps.

Sidney wins cos of the hype around him, and that may save the Pens franchise.

As for who's gonna be the best player, marketing aside... For now, I'm going with Ovechkin. But again... Impossible to tell right now.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:08 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

AO.
Crosby
Phaneuf

Old
01-01-2006, 02:11 PM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
Sidney wins cos of the hype around him, and that may save the Pens franchise.
Nothing to do with the fact that at 18 yrs old he's the highest scoring player on the team and playing well over ppg ?

Old
01-01-2006, 02:22 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Phaneuf will be freakin awesome, but id rather have elite, perhaps the best offensive player in the last decade (which both AO and Crosby have the potential to become) over a stud defensemen. Phaneuf is elite, but he might not even be the best defensive guy in the league with Pitkanen around.

Right now Ovechkin is the best, followed by Crosby and Phaneuf. Crosby is the youngest, and perhaps the highest upsides. AO is the total package and Phaneuf is a franchise dman. Its very hard to pick between Crosby and AO.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Ice

They are nuts. Crosby may well turn in the best season ever by an 18 year old and Pittsburg is leading the league in increased attendance. What Crosby is doing at 18 is nothing short of astounding. And if that wasn't enough he is thriving since the coaching change so it looks like his second half will be even better. I would also take Ovechkin over Phaneuf. I do really like Phaneuf but he is not in the same league as those two.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
They are nuts. Crosby may well turn in the best season ever by an 18 year old and Pittsburg is leading the league in increased attendance. What Crosby is doing at 18 is nothing short of astounding. And if that wasn't enough he is thriving since the coaching change so it looks like his second half will be even better. I would also take Ovechkin over Phaneuf. I do really like Phaneuf but he is not in the same league as those two.
AGE is not a factor when selecting the best rookie. Just like it is not a factor when selecting the MVP.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
AGE is not a factor when selecting the best rookie. Just like it is not a factor when selecting the MVP.
Did you even read this thread, were not talking about the Calder.

Old
01-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Its hard to compare Dmen to forwards for sure. As a flames fan, if asked to trade crosby for Phaneuf straight up it'd be no chance as Crosby would not fit well on the flames IMO. If it was Ovechkin for Phaneuf straight up I'd definately have to sit and think about it for awhile.

Thing is defensive talents as good as Phaneuf just don't come along as often as franchise forwards. Phaneuf is good enough to probably be battling for the Norris in as few as 2 more years. To crack 50 points on a Flames team in his rookie year to me would be equally as impressive as crosby and ovechkin cracking 100 on their respective teams in their rookie years.

And according to big bob at the begining of the year, ovechkin and crosby might not even be the best forwards drafted in the last 2 years. (Malkin he thought looked the best prior to coming into the season)

Old
01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMan
The Flyers broadcasting crew?

After the game Crosby hung on their boys earlier this season, I'm not at all surprised.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17ster
Phaneuf will be freakin awesome, but id rather have elite, perhaps the best offensive player in the last decade (which both AO and Crosby have the potential to become) over a stud defensemen. Phaneuf is elite, but he might not even be the best defensive guy in the league with Pitkanen around.

Right now Ovechkin is the best, followed by Crosby and Phaneuf. Crosby is the youngest, and perhaps the highest upsides. AO is the total package and Phaneuf is a franchise dman. Its very hard to pick between Crosby and AO.
I agree with this fella.

Old
01-01-2006, 03:40 PM
BigTimer*

I'll take all three thank you very much.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:26 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
Did you even read this thread, were not talking about the Calder.
Oops sorry then, too much beer for the New Year

Old
01-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Gags1288

The only reason i'd take Phaneuf would be the opportunity to watch a Phaneuf-Pitkanen pairing for the next 15 years. I feel as if that pairing would be capable of carrying the Flyers to multiple cups and would be an absolute joy to watch. I don't think Dion is quite in the class of the big two forwards and i'd probably go with Ovechkin if I had to chose, but it would be damn tempting to watch that pairing.

Old
01-01-2006, 04:49 PM
LoonieToon

Phaneuf is amazing. I am just in love with the kid. But if I had Ovechkin, I would not trade him for any player in the league.

Closed Thread