HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Hockey in Britain

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2011, 03:03 PM
  #226
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
Is this the correct Great Britain U-20 Roster?

Goalie
James Hadfield 04/10/1992 England 6'1" 190lbs Guildford Flames (EPIHL)
Declan Ryan 08/12/1992 England 5'11" 168lbs Telford Tigers (EPIHL)
Brandon Stones 07/02/1993 England 5'11" 170lbs Coventry Blaze (EIHL)
Defense
Steven Chalmers 21/08/1992 Scotland 6'0" 168lbs Dundee Stars (EIHL) Returnee
Jamie Chilcott 06/06/1993 England 5'11" 170lbs Space Coast Hurricanes (EJHL)
Ross Green 19/02/1992 England 5'11" 172lbs Milton Keynes Lightning (EPIHL)
James Griffin 08/04/1993 England 5'9" 172lbs Coventry Blaze (EIHL) Returnee
Daniel Scott 30/04/1992 England 6'0" 179lbs Hull Stingrays (EIHL) Returnee
Zach Sullivan 14/07/1994 England 5'7" 141lbs Slough Jets (EPIHL)
Paul Swindlehurst 25/05/1993 England 6'0" 168lbs Swindon Wildcats (EPIHL) Returnee
Forwards
Callum Bowley 29/07/1993 England 5'7" 141lbs Telford Tigers (EPIHL)
Luke Brittle 11/06/1993 England 5'8" 168lbs Telford Tigers (EPIHL)
Liam Chong 08/04/1992 England 5'11" 181lbs Basingstoke Bison (EPIHL) Returnee
Aaron Connolly 01/06/1993 England 6'0" 174lbs Slough Jets (EPIHL)
Luke Ferrara 07/06/1993 England 5'10" 159lbs Peterborough Phantoms (EPIHL)
Andrew Hirst 20/09/1992 England 5'7" 176lbs Sheffield Steeldogs (EPIHL)
Joseph Lewis 26/07/1992 Wales 5'8" 159lbs EV Fussen U18 (DNL) Returnee
Andrew Melachrino 09/06/1993 England 5'9" 154lbs Slough ENL Jets (ENL)
Jack Musil 22/08/1993 England 5'11" 163lbs Space Coast Hurricanes (EJHL)
Thomas Soar 02/01/1993 England 6'03" 203lbs Telford Tigers (EPIHL)
Christopher Sykes 05/01/1992 England 5'6" 181lbs Sheffield Steeldogs (EPIHL)
Ross Venus 28/04/1994 England 5'11" 143lbs Telford Tigers (EPIHL)
Josh Ward 03/02/1992 England 5'10" 168lbs Manchester Phoenix (EPIHL) Returnee
Jack Watkins 03/02/1993 England 6'1" 185lbs Hull Stingrays (EIHL) Returnee
So are there any fix names here? Considered stars in Britain?

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 03:39 PM
  #227
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
So are there any fix names here? Considered stars in Britain?
There's a lot of hype around Ross Venus, he scored 6 goals 7 assists in 46 games as a U17 in the EIHL last season which is very impressive. I've never seen him play so can't really comment on him.

Joey Lewis is the top scorer in the DNL which is the top German junior league, I played U18s with him, he's a very talented player but is held back by his size.

I also played U18's with James Griffin, he logged top minutes on defence in the EPIHL as a 16 year old, one of the best skaters and fittest guys I've ever met. I honestly believe he could have been drafted if he had gone over to North America when he was 15/16, he has all the natural talent and hockey sense along with the right attitude and work ethic, a great leader as well, he always wore the C for us in juniors and also for GB U18's. If he stays he will be one of the best Dmen in the EIHL, pretty much a lock to make team GB seniors in the future.

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-18-2011, 04:25 PM
  #228
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
There's a lot of hype around Ross Venus, he scored 6 goals 7 assists in 46 games as a U17 in the EIHL last season which is very impressive. I've never seen him play so can't really comment on him.

Joey Lewis is the top scorer in the DNL which is the top German junior league, I played U18s with him, he's a very talented player but is held back by his size.

I also played U18's with James Griffin, he logged top minutes on defence in the EPIHL as a 16 year old, one of the best skaters and fittest guys I've ever met. I honestly believe he could have been drafted if he had gone over to North America when he was 15/16, he has all the natural talent and hockey sense along with the right attitude and work ethic, a great leader as well, he always wore the C for us in juniors and also for GB U18's. If he stays he will be one of the best Dmen in the EIHL, pretty much a lock to make team GB seniors in the future.
Joey Lewis, why is he playing in Germany?

James Griffin, did he get a chance to play in NA and didn't take it, or is it you that think he could have done it?

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-18-2011, 04:50 PM
  #229
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Joey Lewis, why is he playing in Germany?

James Griffin, did he get a chance to play in NA and didn't take it, or is it you that think he could have done it?
I don't know why Joey went to Germany but it's his 3rd season of playing out there now, he might be studying there but I'm not sure. I think it's because he got the opportunity to go there and he speaks the language so he took it. A few other guys have gone to play in Germany as well because we have a link with the coach of the junior team Bad Nauheim in their U20 league

Griffin could have gone to NA any time he wanted, there are lots of hockey schools academies in Canada that have links to England. He just couldn't find somewhere that he thought was right for him and development, and he wanted to finish school here also. A few British guys have played in the NAHL junior league, which I think would have been a good realistic option for him. I think in the future he could follow David Phillips and play AHL/ECHL and get a shot at being noticed by NHL teams but I don't think he will leave England.

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-19-2011, 02:07 AM
  #230
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I don't know why Joey went to Germany but it's his 3rd season of playing out there now, he might be studying there but I'm not sure. I think it's because he got the opportunity to go there and he speaks the language so he took it. A few other guys have gone to play in Germany as well because we have a link with the coach of the junior team Bad Nauheim in their U20 league

Griffin could have gone to NA any time he wanted, there are lots of hockey schools academies in Canada that have links to England. He just couldn't find somewhere that he thought was right for him and development, and he wanted to finish school here also. A few British guys have played in the NAHL junior league, which I think would have been a good realistic option for him. I think in the future he could follow David Phillips and play AHL/ECHL and get a shot at being noticed by NHL teams but I don't think he will leave England.
Okey, so the DNL, do you know how it's compared to the swedish J20SuperElit? Just to get a little more understanding

So this Phillips, is he the biggest British star right now? After Hand?

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 05:02 AM
  #231
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Okey, so the DNL, do you know how it's compared to the swedish J20SuperElit? Just to get a little more understanding

So this Phillips, is he the biggest British star right now? After Hand?
The J20SuperElit is a lot better than the DNL, most of the top German prospects don't play in it and play full time for a senior team, for example Tom Kuhnhackl played for Landshut Cannibals in the Bundesliga during his draft year before going to the OHL. One draftee did play full time DNL in his draft year though and that was Mirko Hofflin, he was taken #151 overall in 2010, he had 67 points in 24 games in the DNL, then went to play in the Q. Thats all I really know about it, hopefully Hofflin's draft position should give you some comparison to the Swedish kids drafted out of the SuperElit since he was the best player in the DNL that year, I wouldn't think the depth would be all that good though.

Phillips is best all-round British Dman right now, he came back to the EIHL after getting fed up of bouncing around AHL/ECHL teams, and said he is looking to play in one of the top Euro leagues. In terms of overall talent he doesn't even compare to Hand in my opinion, if Hand stayed in NA he would have made the NHL, Glen Sather said he was the smartest player on the ice at Oilers training camp, excluding #99 of course. Colin Shields was another British player to be drafted, #195 overall in 2000, he put up good numbers in college and then did ok in the ECHL, came back over to Britain though and is now taking the money in the French league. Another top Dman is Ben O'Connor, he played in the OHL for a while and is now in the Kazakhstan league which I don't know anything about.

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-19-2011, 06:27 AM
  #232
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
The J20SuperElit is a lot better than the DNL, most of the top German prospects don't play in it and play full time for a senior team, for example Tom Kuhnhackl played for Landshut Cannibals in the Bundesliga during his draft year before going to the OHL. One draftee did play full time DNL in his draft year though and that was Mirko Hofflin, he was taken #151 overall in 2010, he had 67 points in 24 games in the DNL, then went to play in the Q. Thats all I really know about it, hopefully Hofflin's draft position should give you some comparison to the Swedish kids drafted out of the SuperElit since he was the best player in the DNL that year, I wouldn't think the depth would be all that good though.

Phillips is best all-round British Dman right now, he came back to the EIHL after getting fed up of bouncing around AHL/ECHL teams, and said he is looking to play in one of the top Euro leagues. In terms of overall talent he doesn't even compare to Hand in my opinion, if Hand stayed in NA he would have made the NHL, Glen Sather said he was the smartest player on the ice at Oilers training camp, excluding #99 of course. Colin Shields was another British player to be drafted, #195 overall in 2000, he put up good numbers in college and then did ok in the ECHL, came back over to Britain though and is now taking the money in the French league. Another top Dman is Ben O'Connor, he played in the OHL for a while and is now in the Kazakhstan league which I don't know anything about.
Yes I've seen Hand's numbers over the years, they are just ridiculous! You can clearly see that he was/is far too good to play in Britain. Any idea why he stayed in Britain instead of continue in NA or play in Europe?

Kazakhstan eh? Must be for the money, can't see no other reason.

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 08:45 AM
  #233
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Yes I've seen Hand's numbers over the years, they are just ridiculous! You can clearly see that he was/is far too good to play in Britain. Any idea why he stayed in Britain instead of continue in NA or play in Europe?

Kazakhstan eh? Must be for the money, can't see no other reason.
Hand played like 3 games in the WHL then came back because he got homesick

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-19-2011, 12:37 PM
  #234
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Hand played like 3 games in the WHL then came back because he got homesick
Ok, and when he got older, he never wanted to try again? Thats a pity

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
  #235
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Ok, and when he got older, he never wanted to try again? Thats a pity
Yeah, there's a lot of "what if's?" about him, and what it could have done for the sport in this country had he played in the NHL.

On a side note, just found out my Elite Prospects profile has been created that was always my goal to achieve in my career http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM
  #236
mattski93
Poo Brain
 
mattski93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oldham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
On a side note, just found out my Elite Prospects profile has been created that was always my goal to achieve in my career http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845
You're welcome if you can help me fill it out a bit more please let me know, I'm systematically adding the whole of the ENL and don't have a lot of info to go on outside of stats.

For Tony, if you read his book he was getting paid very, very well indeed (and still is) to stay in Britain - he declined some very nice offers from Europe in his prime due to the wages. Think he had a sponsorship deal with a major hockey equipment manufacturer too. He would have made the NHL and thrived as a Gretzky-type playmaker (almost an identical sort of player), no doubt about it.

mattski93 is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 02:24 AM
  #237
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of "what if's?" about him, and what it could have done for the sport in this country had he played in the NHL.

On a side note, just found out my Elite Prospects profile has been created that was always my goal to achieve in my career http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=157845
26 views and already 13 likes, beast

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 05:12 AM
  #238
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
26 views and already 13 likes, beast
Lol that's because one of my stupid friends shared it on Facebook, and people who don't even know me 'liked' it for some reason

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-20-2011, 05:17 AM
  #239
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
You're welcome if you can help me fill it out a bit more please let me know, I'm systematically adding the whole of the ENL and don't have a lot of info to go on outside of stats.

For Tony, if you read his book he was getting paid very, very well indeed (and still is) to stay in Britain - he declined some very nice offers from Europe in his prime due to the wages. Think he had a sponsorship deal with a major hockey equipment manufacturer too. He would have made the NHL and thrived as a Gretzky-type playmaker (almost an identical sort of player), no doubt about it.
Yeah I thought you must be expanding the database because before it only had players who had played EPIHL and above. I can certainly help you fill it out, I can give you the date of births of all my team and other players I know personally, should I PM all the details to you?

I would love to read Tony Hand's book, do you know where I could get a copy of it?

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-20-2011, 05:51 AM
  #240
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Last year's U20's finished 3rd but that was the best class we've had in a while and for the foreseeable future, if this years U20's doesn't get relegated, next years will as that class got relegated from U18's last year.

The team we have put together this year looks quite good but all the other nations are far too strong.
Yeah agreed. The other teams are far stronger than Britain, more skilful, bigger, far more depth in talent. The U'20's team that heroically managed to avoid relegation was a stronger year as you say, and also at it's peak. This group has some talent but is smaller, younger, and have less experience and less depth in goaltending and defense which is essential against stronger teams. It will be a great achievement if they manage to avoid relegation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
There's a lot of hype around Ross Venus, he scored 6 goals 7 assists in 46 games as a U17 in the EIHL last season which is very impressive. I've never seen him play so can't really comment on him.
I've seen him play. The hype is a little unfair in terms of expectations, he's not a stellar talent that will stickhandle around players. What he does do well is play as a complementary guy on a line with better players, not as the main playmaker. He will be solid, but I think he's actually only a reserve for this competition, not in the squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I don't know why Joey went to Germany but it's his 3rd season of playing out there now, he might be studying there but I'm not sure. I think it's because he got the opportunity to go there and he speaks the language so he took it. A few other guys have gone to play in Germany as well because we have a link with the coach of the junior team Bad Nauheim in their U20 league
Another reason being they get a lot more ice-time and practice opportunities in Germany which has a much better developmental set-up.

The one I'd look out for is Connolly - he's one of the youngest but is a genuine playmaker. Musil and Chong are good snipers but they may not get many opportunities.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 05:58 AM
  #241
Gwyddbwyll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 10,530
vCash: 500
Adam Harding was another talent, wonder why he's not on the roster.

Shaun Wild too. Not sure where either of them are playing now, havent kept up to date.

Gwyddbwyll is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 07:25 AM
  #242
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Lol that's because one of my stupid friends shared it on Facebook, and people who don't even know me 'liked' it for some reason
Haha i see

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
  #243
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
You're welcome if you can help me fill it out a bit more please let me know, I'm systematically adding the whole of the ENL and don't have a lot of info to go on outside of stats.

For Tony, if you read his book he was getting paid very, very well indeed (and still is) to stay in Britain - he declined some very nice offers from Europe in his prime due to the wages. Think he had a sponsorship deal with a major hockey equipment manufacturer too. He would have made the NHL and thrived as a Gretzky-type playmaker (almost an identical sort of player), no doubt about it.
You work for ep?
Is the correct email adress eliteprospects@gmail.com?

Thanks

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 08:14 AM
  #244
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Adam Harding was another talent, wonder why he's not on the roster.

Shaun Wild too. Not sure where either of them are playing now, havent kept up to date.
Harding is playing on a 2-way with cardiff devils and the ENL devils. I remember when he played U14s for Swindon he scored over 70 goals and 100 points in like 15 games one season. I would have thought he would be picked.

Shaun Wild plays for Sheffield Spartans in the ENL

As for Aaron Connolly, I always remember lining one of his games when he played B league juniors for Invicta, and the coach was shouting at the other players: "Pass the puck to Aaron! Pass it to Aaron or you're off the team!!"


Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 11-20-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-20-2011, 03:16 PM
  #245
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
As for Aaron Connolly, I always remember lining one of his games when he played B league juniors for Invicta, and the coach was shouting at the other players: "Pass the puck to Aaron! Pass it to Aaron or you're off the team!!"
That's just retarded

bp spec is offline  
Old
11-20-2011, 03:36 PM
  #246
mattski93
Poo Brain
 
mattski93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oldham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Yeah I thought you must be expanding the database because before it only had players who had played EPIHL and above. I can certainly help you fill it out, I can give you the date of births of all my team and other players I know personally, should I PM all the details to you?

I would love to read Tony Hand's book, do you know where I could get a copy of it?
Please do, I've tried contacting teams directly but I've had no response from any of them in over a week so that's be a massive help.

You can get Tony's book HERE. It's written quite strangely, as though it's a transcription of a conversation in a pub, but I think that's more down to Tony's way of telling stories as I know the co-author and he's not one to struggle to get a good yarn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
You work for ep?
Is the correct email adress eliteprospects@gmail.com?

Thanks
Yup, that's the central e-mail address, however if you have a specific need related to a specific country I'd say to use the drop-down enquiry form on the front page (e.g. British league queries come straight to my personal address).

mattski93 is offline  
Old
11-21-2011, 05:02 AM
  #247
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
Please do, I've tried contacting teams directly but I've had no response from any of them in over a week so that's be a massive help.

You can get Tony's book HERE. It's written quite strangely, as though it's a transcription of a conversation in a pub, but I think that's more down to Tony's way of telling stories as I know the co-author and he's not one to struggle to get a good yarn out.
Can I send you a PM on here or do I have to send an email to the British thing on EP?

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-21-2011, 05:12 PM
  #248
mattski93
Poo Brain
 
mattski93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oldham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Can I send you a PM on here or do I have to send an email to the British thing on EP?
Either is fine

mattski93 is offline  
Old
11-22-2011, 04:24 PM
  #249
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: England land
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 43,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
That's just retarded
It certainly worked, 104 goals and 37 assists in 21 games when he played U14's, also bearing in mind this was Division 2 juniors, so he had the talent to take it round everyone by himself and score. He still put up very good numbers in the Division 1 juniors too though

Propane Nightmares is online now  
Old
11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
  #250
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
It certainly worked, 104 goals and 37 assists in 21 games when he played U14's, also bearing in mind this was Division 2 juniors, so he had the talent to take it round everyone by himself and score. He still put up very good numbers in the Division 1 juniors too though
Wonder if he even thought that is was fun to play without any competition?

Edit: Don't like the coach's mentality either

bp spec is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.