Hockey in Britain

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Realistically what do you think is the highest level you could reach as a player?

Yeah, I read that he got 20 games for spearing + 3 years for violent conduct + 2 years for 'bringing the game into disrepute'

There was also a bizarre incident last night, where a friend of mine, a linesman, was ejected from the game by his referee, for making hand gestures to Romford Raiders fans during the game. If you come over here and play in Division 1 you'll make good friends with this lot, they're a friendly bunch he said they were calling him a variety of names during the game including racial slurs and told the ref who did nothing about it, and in the end he had enough and turned around and "blew kisses to them" he says. Security told the ref he had made "hand gestures" to fans, and the ref sent him off the ice
Has the incident been reported to the proper Hockey Officials Association?
Who is the governing body looking after on-ice officials? What level of certification is required to be on the ice at certain levels of play.
If I was the linesman and I've done my share although never above the Minor Hockey levels.
I'd be beating on the door of the Referee in Chief of my district or association.
Rules clearly state that any official on or off ice, regardless of age or experience can expel a spectator.
Bottom article of my home town's Minor Hockey Club site.
http://www.riverviewminorhockeyclub.com/RmhcSite/

Old
11-27-2011, 07:42 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Has the incident been reported to the proper Hockey Officials Association?
Who is the governing body looking after on-ice officials? What level of certification is required to be on the ice at certain levels of play.
If I was the linesman and I've done my share although never above the Minor Hockey levels.
I'd be beating on the door of the Referee in Chief of my district or association.
Rules clearly state that any official on or off ice, regardless of age or experience can expel a spectator.
Bottom article of my home town's Minor Hockey Club site.
http://www.riverviewminorhockeyclub.com/RmhcSite/
I'm not sure if it has officially been reported yet, but I've told him to expect a call from our referee in chief some time this week I can honestly see him getting suspended, all the fans are kicking off about it on the English hockey forum. I may be biased because I'm a ref myself but I think its terrible they could possibly side with the fans on this one, claiming it's unacceptable because hockey is a "family sport" when the fans are the ones using the bad language causing the reaction from said linesman.

The fans of that team have been involved in a number of incidents, including one last year when an opposition player hit a 15 year old fan with his stick, because the guy spat at him when he was leaving the ice.

No, we can't expel a spectator from the building, all we can do is ask security to have them removed. Usually I ignore abuse from spectators but if they have really crossed the line, I would refuse to continue the game until they were removed.

Old
11-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Alpine

For any player or official that wants to give up a don't give up story
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...179130&la_id=1

Old
11-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that, it actually made me cry. I consider myself an emotionally strong person, hardly anything phases me like sad movies and stuff, but I just couldn't help myself with that, what a hero.

Also update on the linesman situation, I spoke to him on the phone just now and he has been told he is suspended with immediate affect

Old
11-27-2011, 10:52 AM
mattski93
Poo Brain

Send a message via MSN to mattski93 Send a message via Skype™ to mattski93
Quote:
claiming it's unacceptable because hockey is a "family sport" when the fans are the ones using the bad language causing the reaction from said linesman.
That old chestnut, there are a lot of things I dislike about hockey over here but this is probably near the top of my list. They should try going to Germany for a game, their delicate little souls would explode

Old
11-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Alright lads.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:00 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Alright lads.
Speak of the devil and he's sure to appear

Old
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Alpine

My problem is and yes I follow Brit hockey from afar...is there a Hockey Officials council with-in Ice Hockey UK (?)
Who looks after certification levels.
Without on-ice officials there is no game. What body is in charge of developing officials?
Developing officials is just as important as developing players.

Old
11-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
My problem is and yes I follow Brit hockey from afar...is there a Hockey Officials council with-in Ice Hockey UK (?)
Who looks after certification levels.
Without on-ice officials there is no game. What body is in charge of developing officials?
Developing officials is just as important as developing players.
We have a Chief Referee who works for the EIHA (English Ice Hockey Association) who is in charge of us. To become an official you have to attend a 1 day course. The Chief Referee decides who gets what games, depending on your age, experience etc. There are also like 4 supervisors who assess officials then report back to the Chief Referee their performance. I'm 19 and this is my 4th season of officiating, and I line the highest level I can under the EIHA which is the EPIHL, the EIHL is under a different governing body, Ice Hockey UK, since it includes Scottish teams as well.

All officials have to do a one day course every summer to be made aware of any rule changes, and we have to do a rules and skating test. You have to attend in order to officiate the upcoming season

Old
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
That's amazing, thanks for posting

Old
11-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Alpine

Quote:
We have a Chief Referee who works for the EIHA (English Ice Hockey Association) who is in charge of us. To become an official you have to attend a 1 day course. The Chief Referee decides who gets what games, depending on your age, experience etc. There are also like 4 supervisors who assess officials then report back to the Chief Referee their performance. I'm 19 and this is my 4th season of officiating, and I line the highest level I can under the EIHA which is the EPIHL, the EIHL is under a different governing body, Ice Hockey UK, since it includes Scottish teams as well.

All officials have to do a one day course every summer to be made aware of any rule changes, and we have to do a rules and skating test. You have to attend in order to officiate the upcoming season
Sorry to bother you with so many questions, but if you don't ask.
Obviously at the rec league or house league level officials are volunteers but at the higher competitive levels what do officials get paid?
New Brunswick Hockey Officials Association (NBHOA) asks $200/per game $50 for linesman and $100 for a referree in Major Midget and Minor Midget AAA and above...Jr A, B, C, Senior A, etc. Major Jr and University probably higher because of higher certificate required.
The only link I can find stating costs is from the NBIAA (High School) $140/game probably split $35 for linesman and $70 for refs, Plus mileage $0.40/Km if officials have to travel
http://www.nbiaa-asinb.org/page.php?page=436&menu=368
What do on ice officials get in England?
You should never have mentioned your avocation

Old
11-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Sorry to bother you with so many questions, but if you don't ask.
Obviously at the rec league or house league level officials are volunteers but at the higher competitive levels what do officials get paid?
New Brunswick Hockey Officials Association (NBHOA) asks $200/per game $50 for linesman and $100 for a referree in Major Midget and Minor Midget AAA and above...Jr A, B, C, Senior A, etc. Major Jr and University probably higher because of higher certificate required.
The only link I can find stating costs is from the NBIAA (High School) $140/game probably split $35 for linesman and $70 for refs, Plus mileage $0.40/Km if officials have to travel
http://www.nbiaa-asinb.org/page.php?page=436&menu=368
What do on ice officials get in England?
You should never have mentioned your avocation
In the EPIHL the referee gets 59 (around $92 US) and linesman get 39 each (around $60 US) travelling expenses are 0.40 per mile. Officials can only claim a maximum of 400 miles combined for one EPIHL game.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:51 AM
Alpine

^^^
Thank-you for your patience and responses.
But back to games.
8 points between 8 teams in the EPIHL this season. Looks like a very competitive league this season.
For no particular reason........except following them outta Eilite League I follow the Phoenix.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
^^^
Thank-you for your patience and responses.
But back to games.
8 points between 8 teams in the EPIHL this season. Looks like a very competitive league this season.
For no particular reason........except following them outta Eilite League I follow the Phoenix.
Yeah it's pretty good this year, the most competitive it has been in a while.

Old
12-02-2011, 09:52 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's awesome, I wish more people had that kid's attitude toward life.

Before I watched the video I thought it was going to be a link to David-Alexandre Beauregard's story.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Can anyone explain this to me?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104119

12 year old goalie with no stats with an elite prospect page? Is he someones son that works for the site or is he actually a prospect?

Old
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
Can anyone explain this to me?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104119

12 year old goalie with no stats with an elite prospect page? Is he someones son that works for the site or is he actually a prospect?
Well Mattski93 works for Elite Prospects and it says on here his location is Manchester, and it says the kid is from Manchester, maybe he knows the parents and they asked to have a page made after looking through all the English junior stats I've found out he plays for Manchester under 14's in the B league, so can't be that good

Old
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Well Mattski93 works for Elite Prospects and it says on here his location is Manchester, and it says the kid is from Manchester, maybe he knows the parents and they asked to have a page made after looking through all the English junior stats I've found out he plays for Manchester under 14's in the B league, so can't be that good
Where abouts did you do that?

Old
12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Where abouts did you do that?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.preen/eiha.html

If you need to find it again type "EIHA unofficial" into google

Old
12-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.preen/eiha.html

If you need to find it again type "EIHA unofficial" into google
Legend. Thanks bud

Old
12-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Scarecrow Boat

I notice u14s only play 16 games in a season. Is that why GB players aren't developing like other non-traditional hockey countries?

Old
12-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
I notice u14s only play 16 games in a season. Is that why GB players aren't developing like other non-traditional hockey countries?
Yeah, the better players can play up for the older age group to play more games, but in general that's why development isn't so good, there just isn't enough ice time for more games for juniors. Take Slough for example, they have a team in the EPIHL (27 home games) ENL1 (20 home games) ENL2 (12 home games) so it would be very difficult for clubs like this to fit in more junior games. Also the rinks make more money from public skating, and the figure skaters.

If they played more games it would also make playing more expensive. I pay 65 a month to play for my ENL2 team at Basingstoke, we get 1 training session a week which is 1 hour 15, plus 12 home games, some money also goes to towards refs fees. Planet Ice ask for that much ****ing money from us, yet they can't even give us working showers in the changing room

Old
12-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Alpine

The IIHF site states there's 46 arenas in all of GB with 5,000 registered players for a total population of 63,000,000.
Ice time would be an issue to create a larger player pool.

Old
12-04-2011, 04:03 AM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
The IIHF site states there's 46 arenas in all of GB with 5,000 registered players for a total population of 63,000,000.
Ice time would be an issue to create a larger player pool.
Yeah, also note a lot of those players are just 'rec' or 'beer league' players as you would say in Canada, who train and play very late at night. I'm not sure if all the University players count towards that total, or imports in the semi-pro leagues

Old
12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Alpine

Sorry to post about a Canadian league on a Brit forum.
But back to the referee's comments..............how'd you like to be on the ice for this one.
A game in New Brunswick's North-East Senior League between Miramichi Phantoms and Tracadie-Sheila Alpines is called midway through the 2nd period for brawls that involve fans. 1500 in attendance.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...rticle/1461343

It's a Senior A league made up of former Q, Maritime Jr A and Atlantic University Sport (AUS) players.
Don't mean to go Canadian on ya but I thought it related to the officials discussion earlier.

Back to ice time issues.............wait until female hockey, ringette and short track speed skating take hold........

Last edited by Alpine: 12-05-2011 at 07:26 AM.
Closed Thread