Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I do agree that a change of leadership is needed. I think the changes I've proposed in this thread for the junior system would work wonders.

If you don't want to go to Bracknell, there's always Slough seriously though the standard of the EPIHL has improved a lot in recent years
When you're from Reading (Well i say Reading, i live in a rural village inbetween Oxford and Reading), Slough becomes a little too brow

I think if i went to slough, i'd end up heckling the attending fans rather than the players!

I agree, alot of your suggestions would seem to have merit. International hockey has had a weird past ten years. For the most part, European hockey has stagnated and regressed quite markedly IMO, but we are beginning to see major steps taken in many markets to improve the situation. I think if we maximise decision making amongst the pool we currently have, we can undoubtedly become much more competitive and ideally reach a level of being able to compete at the elite level at the Senior level and occassionally at the Junior level. This may be many years away sadly. Anything past that, seems unlikely to me. Competition is simply too fierce, nothing will ever topple football and you have cricket, rugby, tennis, cycling, athletics, basketball, golf amongst others that all do very well. It has less potential here than other markets unfortunately.

Old
12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Norris View Post
The bulk of NFL games are on at 6PM and 9PM there, every Sunday. The bulk of NHL games are on at 12-4AM throughout the week like I said earlier so I don't think televising NHL games there will have near the same effect as televising NFL games.
Obviously not, but not televising it all is admitting defeat. It's better to have a little market pennetration rather than non at all. Recorded delay could also be an option.

Old
12-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Obviously not, but not televising it all is admitting defeat. It's better to have a little market pennetration rather than non at all. Recorded delay could also be an option.
So you delay it to the next morning or the next night? I think only a true hardcore would want to watch a game 16 hours after it has happened

They opened the season in London in 07-08. I thought the rink was sold out... **** would be much simpler if GB just had their own Anze Kopitar in the NHL. Moments like this I hate Tony Hand

Old
12-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Premier Sports shows 10 live games a week, nearly all of them are shown again the next day with some extra ones that weren't shown live. If a Rangers game is on and I have college the next day, I record it and wake up like an hour earlier than I usually would and watch it before I leave, skipping through all the stoppages. If I don't have college the next day I stay up to watch it. I sometimes watch the non-live games during the day.

Old
12-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Alpine

Wow, just checked Belarus 7-0 GB in the 2nd.
On a side note the other team France that some of us Canadian/Canadien Euro followers watch is cruising along in Div 1 B.
Only some carrying France passports are considered non imports in Canada. But you have to prove residency in the Gulf of St Lawrence islands of St Pierre et Miquelon.
A couple of years a go one player Morgan Nicholas from St Pierre et Miquelon played for the France U-18 and U-20 team whilst playing Jr A in Moncton (that's CJHL not CHL) and attending Universite de Moncton.
CJHL only allows NA players.

Last edited by Alpine: 12-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old
12-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Scarecrow Boat

10-2 stomping by Belarus over GB.
Thank god they'll only drop to Group B of Div I...

Old
12-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

I don't even want to know what the Germans are going to do to us

Old
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I don't even want to know what the Germans are going to do to us
ye I wouldn't want to be on the ice for that one.

Old
12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Scarecrow Boat

I was talking to a friend of mine about Stephen Lee today and we started to wonder how he compares to David Phillips. Anyone know?

I know Phillips had better height but Stephen Lee is actually a solid kid at 5'11" 200lbs while Phillips was only like 175lbs when he came over to NA.

Old
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
I was talking to a friend of mine about Stephen Lee today and we started to wonder how he compares to David Phillips. Anyone know?

I know Phillips had better height but Stephen Lee is actually a solid kid at 5'11" 200lbs while Phillips was only like 175lbs when he came over to NA.
When he was Lee's age Phillips had better numbers in the EIHL, and he's regarded as a stay-at-home defenseman. I think it's fair to say Phillips is a lot more talented than Lee, along with having better size.

I've never seen Lee play though, and I've only ever seen Phillips play in a GB exhibition game against the Netherlands.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Scarecrow Boat

GB getting mauled as expected vs. Germany.
Tough tournament in Group A for GB. I wish they took some young kids to prepare them for next season in Group B.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Tough tournament in Group A for GB. I wish they took some young kids to prepare them for next season in Group B.
I've heard from people who are there that GB were rolling all 4 lines, supposedly resting the best players for the Austria. Hadfield also played the whole game in net, to give Ryan a rest

Old
12-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I've heard from people who are there that GB were rolling all 4 lines, supposedly resting the best players for the Austria. Hadfield also played the whole game in net, to give Ryan a rest
I'm impressed that Joseph Lewis has 4 points. GB as a team has 5 goals in the tournament he's been in on 4 of them? Too bad this is his last U20 eligible season

Old
12-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
I'm impressed that Joseph Lewis has 4 points. GB as a team has 5 goals in the tournament he's been in on 4 of them? Too bad this is his last U20 eligible season
Yeah he's a great player, I was very fortunate to have him as a teammate in U18's along with guys like James Griffin, and Ciaran Long from last years U20's, the quality shots at practice really benefited me. Griffin will still be eligible next year, expect him to wear a letter too

Old
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Austria wins 3-1 over GB.
0 wins... rough

Old
12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Austria wins 3-1 over GB.
0 wins... rough
Eh, not really rough, more expected than anything else. Austria actually played in the Elite group 2 years ago.

This group is much much better than we are frankly. It will actually be a difficult fight next year in the group below, which highlights how small a fish we were compared to this group.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:14 AM
Alpine

Any thoughts on McBride leaving Belfast Giants (one of the best supported teams in the UK) to join Ljibiljana in Slovenia of the Austrian league. Because they offered more $$.

Old
12-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Any thoughts on McBride leaving Belfast Giants (one of the best supported teams in the UK) to join Ljibiljana in Slovenia of the Austrian league. Because they offered more $$.
He's an import, hardly surprising. One of Belfast's better players.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 12-18-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Alpine

Ya but............
If one of the richest teams can't hold onto their players, what does it say about Brit hockey?

Old
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Ya but............
If one of the richest teams can't hold onto their players, what does it say about Brit hockey?
British hockey isnt strong. Their best players have always gone onto better European leagues, which seems to include EBEL and Denmark now. But that's the way it is, just like the ECHL loses their players to the AHL etc.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
It makes much more sense for young players to go to NA than Sweden/Germany. Unlike Norway or Denmark who have cultural ties, similar languages, club ties and similar infrastructure, Britain is obviously much much closer to North American culturally. You could say Britain is about as "normally" European as Russia is ; as in it, culturally, we are not that close.
Yes but it also costs more which mean that fewer kids go and sometimes the best candidates cant afford it. Flights are 400+ instead of 40. Time zones arent great either. Denmark used their close connections to Sweden to great effect, we need to follow that model. Canada and the States is not working as a development strategy - it's good for a few Brits, but not enough of them.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Most of the players I think are eligible next year?

It was tough for GB - not only on a talent level but their players were mostly much smaller and younger too. Group B will provide a lot of competition but my main concern is that I dont know if they'll have a good goalie. The U18s got relegated last year to II so Im not sure if there's one on the way and Hadfield / Ryan are too old.

Old
12-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Propane Nightmares
Like a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Most of the players I think are eligible next year?

It was tough for GB - not only on a talent level but their players were mostly much smaller and younger too. Group B will provide a lot of competition but my main concern is that I dont know if they'll have a good goalie. The U18s got relegated last year to II so Im not sure if there's one on the way and Hadfield / Ryan are too old.
Hadfield and Ryan are too old. The goalies for U18's last year were Brandon Stones and Ben Hunt, so both of them may play again, I'm going to throw Patrick Russell in as a possibility also.

A majority of the skaters will still be U20 next year. Chalmers, Green, Scott, Chong, Hirst, Lewis, Sykes and Ward are the only ones from this years team who will be too old next year

Old
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Alpine

Quote:
British hockey isnt strong. Their best players have always gone onto better European leagues, which seems to include EBEL and Denmark now. But that's the way it is, just like the ECHL loses their players to the AHL etc.
Again ya but..............
Those are development leagues where as EIHL is the top league in the UK.
You'd think contracts would be for the season. Not a get out clause of 2 weeks notice after the expense of bringing in imports........housing them, giving them a car etc.

On a lighter note how do spectators rate rate rinks in the UK.
Me, I rate rinks on the fries. I love rinks that have the fresh cut fries (chips). For some reason the small community rinks have the best fries or poutine.
The big rinks offer everything from wings, to pizza, to ice cream, to the dogs, burgers, sausage and subs, to full sit down restaurants. But all from large fast food companies.
I also hate those small community rinks that charge you to attend a game and then you have a coin operated box in front of your seat to get some heat.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Yes but it also costs more which mean that fewer kids go and sometimes the best candidates cant afford it. Flights are 400+ instead of 40. Time zones arent great either. Denmark used their close connections to Sweden to great effect, we need to follow that model. Canada and the States is not working as a development strategy - it's good for a few Brits, but not enough of them.
It may cost more, but it's far more logical. Time zone doesn't really matter, it would take a short time to get re-adjusted and then you'd be fine, and you'd still be away from your family whether you are in Sweden or North America. I imagine most kids would prefer to venture to the States rather than Sweden as it appears more glamorous.

North America culturally is much closer to us than Sweden. The reason Denmark youngsters go to Sweden is because A) It's right next door B) The countries have close ties.

The reason the current system isn't working is because the kids aren't good enough. Sending them to Sweden rather than NA won't change that. The Swedish system is good, for Swedish kids. The NA system also works very well for their domestic kids. It wouldn't matter which system ours is in, unless the talent is there and they are developed to a higher standard before leaving, nothing will change. If they are to go abroad, it therefore makes more sense IMO to go a place that compares to the UK.

Closed Thread