HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One player you would build your team around

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2006, 10:32 PM
norrisnick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
I'd tank every single game of the season for 5 years if I could have Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Phaneuf, Pitkanen and Fleury on my team.
I'd win three Cups, contend for others, and try my chances with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall, (hopefully) Fischer, and all the other projects picked out by Hakan, Kenny, and Nill.

Old
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Bruinsyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Crosby CANNOT take physical abuse. Why would he go out of his way to tag Kasparaitis on the letters and send him into the boards with his back turned? Crosby looked like a possessed crybaby on that hit. It wasn't that he was finishing his check, he was gearing up to fly into DK with some personal agenda.

I won't take a spoiled brat.

On the other hand, I'll go for Eric Staal. Edging out Ovechkin because he's a centerman, Staal is a quiet monster down the middle. He's big and can influence a game just as well.

As if Kasparaitis doesnt deserve it. He has dished out more cheap hits then he will ever recieve in his career. I kind of enjoyed it.

Old
01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'd win three Cups, contend for others, and try my chances with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall, (hopefully) Fischer, and all the other projects picked out by Hakan, Kenny, and Nill.

Well, you're a spoiled Wings fan!

And regarding Fischer, I hope he is well. I'd love to see him back soon, playing even better, health permitting. I say this as a persona most certainly not known for being a Wings fan. I say this as a hockey fan. Go Jiri!

Old
01-02-2006, 01:09 AM
habs_24x

You should build from the goalie on up. Luongo would be a great start and Lethonen could be another choice but needs to prove himself. There are no other elite goalies coming up that are young enough to build upon.
So it would be Luongo or Crosby.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:14 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

lehtonen

Old
01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Crosby CANNOT take physical abuse. Why would he go out of his way to tag Kasparaitis on the letters and send him into the boards with his back turned? Crosby looked like a possessed crybaby on that hit. It wasn't that he was finishing his check, he was gearing up to fly into DK with some personal agenda.

I won't take a spoiled brat.

On the other hand, I'll go for Eric Staal. Edging out Ovechkin because he's a centerman, Staal is a quiet monster down the middle. He's big and can influence a game just as well.
Have you seen any Crosby games? He's taken abuse since he was a 16 year old playing in the CHL and handled it all extremely well...

Maybe SC has been watching DC play and decided to give one the dirtiest players the league has seen over the past decade a taste of his own medicine?

Old
01-02-2006, 02:38 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Defense: Phaneuf or Chara
Forward: Kovalchuk or Staal
Goaltender: Luongo or Lehtonen

Old
01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Ilya Kovalchuk, with Joni Pitkanen just behind him.

Old
01-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Forward: Ovechkin.
Defense: Phaneuf
Goaltending: Luongo

Old
01-02-2006, 03:34 AM
AgentNaslund*

the logical way to build a team is, Goalie out. Its always been like that.

for me it be Lethonen or Fleury.

for a foward, I take centerman Crosby. a centerman, to really build a round, a guy that can lead by example, and extremly humble.

Old
01-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
As stated by others -

2005-6: AO = Crosby

AO = 20
Crosby = 18

No brainer if you have no crystal ball and are forced to predict the future. Add to it that Crsoby is a natural center who touches the puck many more times than a winger like AO and it again slightly weighs in Crosby's favor. But I would be thrilled to build my team around either. Or Malkin for that matter.

............. then again Crosby Whines . . . . ummm . . .dives . . . .ummm, does not score goals . . . . ummm, can not hit dryers . . . . errrr . . . poses for chick mags . . . . ummm . . . oh hell, I can not keep up.
Please, grow up.

Old
01-02-2006, 03:51 AM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Roberto Luongo

Old
01-02-2006, 03:55 AM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Honorable mention: Jovanovski

Seriously??

Old
01-02-2006, 04:25 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Alexander Ovechkin

Old
01-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Please, grow up.
You want it more eloquent perhaps?

Yet, the "respect" that Crosby referenced on draft day has not always been there, or maybe it's simply not been there in some of the predictable corners of dissent.

On opening night in New Jersey, the Pens visiting, chants of "overrated" echoed around Continental Airlines Arena. In recent weeks, there has arisen a whiff of backlash against Crosby, not greatly different from that experienced sporadically by Gretzky. The Golden Boy with a head of luscious black waves, actually has been spanked around a bit, accused of being a diver, that he whines too much at on-ice officials, that he displayed insensitivity in comments after the firing of Pittsburgh coach Ed Olcyzk. And there remains, of course, the palpable sneering of broadcast-mouth Don Cherry Jason Spezza shill who appears never to have forgiven Crosby for the junior-era lacrosse goal he stuffed around a Quebec Remparts goalie, a highlight reel piece of hot-dogging.

"I never did understand that stuff and I don't know," said Toronto coach Pat Quinn of the anti-Crosby mutterings in particular but also the rip-down tendencies to which stars are routinely subjected. "It could be jealousy. Some of this stuff sounds personal.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I will reiterate back on topic though - Crosby, AO or Malkin, you really could do no wrong with any of those, or for that matter any of a dozen more. So hard to judge who will turn out in the end the best cornerstone when they do not even half half a year under their belts. But based on actually having them for the next almost decade (unlike some mentioned here who are older and will be UFA's much sooner) I would personally take one of those three.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 01-02-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old
01-02-2006, 05:06 AM
ahmon

forward= staal
dman= phaneuf
goalie= r.miller

Old
01-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Bobby Orr's Knees

Quote:
You want it more eloquent perhaps?

Yet, the "respect" that Crosby referenced on draft day has not always been there, or maybe it's simply not been there in some of the predictable corners of dissent.

On opening night in New Jersey, the Pens visiting, chants of "overrated" echoed around Continental Airlines Arena. In recent weeks, there has arisen a whiff of backlash against Crosby, not greatly different from that experienced sporadically by Gretzky. The Golden Boy with a head of luscious black waves, actually has been spanked around a bit, accused of being a diver, that he whines too much at on-ice officials, that he displayed insensitivity in comments after the firing of Pittsburgh coach Ed Olcyzk. And there remains, of course, the palpable sneering of broadcast-mouth Don Cherry Jason Spezza shill who appears never to have forgiven Crosby for the junior-era lacrosse goal he stuffed around a Quebec Remparts goalie, a highlight reel piece of hot-dogging.

"I never did understand that stuff and I don't know," said Toronto coach Pat Quinn of the anti-Crosby mutterings in particular but also the rip-down tendencies to which stars are routinely subjected. "It could be jealousy. Some of this stuff sounds personal.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I will reiterate back on topic though - Crosby, AO or Malkin, you really could do no wrong with any of those, or for that matter any of a dozen more. So hard to judge who will turn out in the end the best cornerstone when they do not even half half a year under their belts. But based on actually having them for the next almost decade (unlike some mentioned here who are older and will be UFA's much sooner) I would personally take one of those three.
It may be more eloquent, but you take this silly debate just as personally as pens and drmoses. Amazing.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsyear
As if Kasparaitis doesnt deserve it. He has dished out more cheap hits then he will ever recieve in his career. I kind of enjoyed it.
I guess you enjoyed watching Bertuzzi hit Moore?!!!

Crosby hit Kasparaitis because the ref didn't make a call on Crosby getting tripped earlier in the shift and Crosby retaliated and hit Kaspar from behind. Legal hit, no! A hit in retaliation for a cheap shot by Kaspar, no! A hit in retaliation because Crosby was ticked off at the non-call, yes!!!

If you have been watching Kaspar this year, he has played it clean but I guess you've been too busy watching the Bruins play Lady Byng hockey!

Old
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Kaizer

I will be first to mention Malkin. Before this season I wasn't high on him, but now. He is my favorite and he is still developing. I'm sure that he will be huge star in NHL in 99% but to avoid from some occasions with translating I would prefer Staal or Ovechkin.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
I guess you enjoyed watching Bertuzzi hit Moore?!!!

Crosby hit Kasparaitis because the ref didn't make a call on Crosby getting tripped earlier in the shift and Crosby retaliated and hit Kaspar from behind. Legal hit, no! A hit in retaliation for a cheap shot by Kaspar, no! A hit in retaliation because Crosby was ticked off at the non-call, yes!!!

If you have been watching Kaspar this year, he has played it clean but I guess you've been too busy watching the Bruins play Lady Byng hockey!

And Crosby, rightly, got a penalty for it. Despite the non-call. Is everything the Kid does an excuse for bashing? What is the point. He got and served a penalty. And yet we still need to hear about it a week later.

Old
01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
And Crosby, rightly, got a penalty for it. Despite the non-call. Is everything the Kid does an excuse for bashing? What is the point. He got and served a penalty. And yet we still need to hear about it a week later.
I have no problem with Crosby, the Penguins or even the officiating from that game.

My problem was with Bruinsyear who "enjoyed" seeing a player hit from behind because of his past.

BTW, the game was on Saturday. Since when is 48 hours a week?

Last edited by Jackson Ranger: 01-02-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old
01-02-2006, 01:53 PM
XX
Lots of Try

1. Ovechkin - his attitude is just better than the others
2. Staal - huge, maybe the best gamebreaker
3. Crosby

Why build from the goal out? Veteran goalies are the ones that lead you to the promised land, not young ones. If you play your chips right you can land a veteran goalie who gets hot and can take you all the way. Id rather have an explosive offense than a tight defense. The game is meant to entertain!

Old
01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
19nazzy

Foward: Ovechkin HM to Kovalchuk
Defense: Redden
Goalie: Luongo

Old
01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Mike Richards...can play in any situation, born leader. if I start a team, I want someone not only be able to play at any time of the game but also be the leader.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Assasin05

Wayne Gretzky - Foward
Dion Phaneuf - Defensemen
Luongo - Goalie -> For sure the best right now to make a team.

Closed Thread