HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One player you would build your team around

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-01-2006, 10:32 PM
  #51
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
I'd tank every single game of the season for 5 years if I could have Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Phaneuf, Pitkanen and Fleury on my team.
I'd win three Cups, contend for others, and try my chances with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall, (hopefully) Fischer, and all the other projects picked out by Hakan, Kenny, and Nill.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
  #52
Bruinsyear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Mass
Posts: 3,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Crosby CANNOT take physical abuse. Why would he go out of his way to tag Kasparaitis on the letters and send him into the boards with his back turned? Crosby looked like a possessed crybaby on that hit. It wasn't that he was finishing his check, he was gearing up to fly into DK with some personal agenda.

I won't take a spoiled brat.

On the other hand, I'll go for Eric Staal. Edging out Ovechkin because he's a centerman, Staal is a quiet monster down the middle. He's big and can influence a game just as well.

As if Kasparaitis doesnt deserve it. He has dished out more cheap hits then he will ever recieve in his career. I kind of enjoyed it.

Bruinsyear is offline  
Old
01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
  #53
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'd win three Cups, contend for others, and try my chances with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall, (hopefully) Fischer, and all the other projects picked out by Hakan, Kenny, and Nill.

Well, you're a spoiled Wings fan!



And regarding Fischer, I hope he is well. I'd love to see him back soon, playing even better, health permitting. I say this as a persona most certainly not known for being a Wings fan. I say this as a hockey fan. Go Jiri!

Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:09 AM
  #54
habs_24x
Registered User
 
habs_24x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,381
vCash: 500
You should build from the goalie on up. Luongo would be a great start and Lethonen could be another choice but needs to prove himself. There are no other elite goalies coming up that are young enough to build upon.
So it would be Luongo or Crosby.

habs_24x is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:14 AM
  #55
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado
 
billsandsabres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: troy, ny
Posts: 2,237
vCash: 500
lehtonen

billsandsabres is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 02:16 AM
  #56
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Crosby CANNOT take physical abuse. Why would he go out of his way to tag Kasparaitis on the letters and send him into the boards with his back turned? Crosby looked like a possessed crybaby on that hit. It wasn't that he was finishing his check, he was gearing up to fly into DK with some personal agenda.

I won't take a spoiled brat.

On the other hand, I'll go for Eric Staal. Edging out Ovechkin because he's a centerman, Staal is a quiet monster down the middle. He's big and can influence a game just as well.
Have you seen any Crosby games? He's taken abuse since he was a 16 year old playing in the CHL and handled it all extremely well...

Maybe SC has been watching DC play and decided to give one the dirtiest players the league has seen over the past decade a taste of his own medicine?

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 02:38 AM
  #57
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Krasnoyarsk
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 19,957
vCash: 500
Defense: Phaneuf or Chara
Forward: Kovalchuk or Staal
Goaltender: Luongo or Lehtonen

vwg* is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
  #58
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 36,756
vCash: 500
Ilya Kovalchuk, with Joni Pitkanen just behind him.

Epsilon is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:25 AM
  #59
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Forward: Ovechkin.
Defense: Phaneuf
Goaltending: Luongo

Malakhov is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:34 AM
  #60
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
the logical way to build a team is, Goalie out. Its always been like that.

for me it be Lethonen or Fleury.

for a foward, I take centerman Crosby. a centerman, to really build a round, a guy that can lead by example, and extremly humble.

AgentNaslund* is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:47 AM
  #61
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
As stated by others -

2005-6: AO = Crosby

AO = 20
Crosby = 18

No brainer if you have no crystal ball and are forced to predict the future. Add to it that Crsoby is a natural center who touches the puck many more times than a winger like AO and it again slightly weighs in Crosby's favor. But I would be thrilled to build my team around either. Or Malkin for that matter.

............. then again Crosby Whines . . . . ummm . . .dives . . . .ummm, does not score goals . . . . ummm, can not hit dryers . . . . errrr . . . poses for chick mags . . . . ummm . . . oh hell, I can not keep up.
Please, grow up.

Brad* is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:51 AM
  #62
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner
 
hockeyfan125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,019
vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo

hockeyfan125 is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 03:55 AM
  #63
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!
 
Clownpipe*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bhancoubhair
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Honorable mention: Jovanovski

Seriously??

Clownpipe* is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 04:25 AM
  #64
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Alexander Ovechkin

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 04:38 AM
  #65
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Please, grow up.
You want it more eloquent perhaps?

Yet, the "respect" that Crosby referenced on draft day has not always been there, or maybe it's simply not been there in some of the predictable corners of dissent.

On opening night in New Jersey, the Pens visiting, chants of "overrated" echoed around Continental Airlines Arena. In recent weeks, there has arisen a whiff of backlash against Crosby, not greatly different from that experienced sporadically by Gretzky. The Golden Boy with a head of luscious black waves, actually has been spanked around a bit, accused of being a diver, that he whines too much at on-ice officials, that he displayed insensitivity in comments after the firing of Pittsburgh coach Ed Olcyzk. And there remains, of course, the palpable sneering of broadcast-mouth Don Cherry Jason Spezza shill who appears never to have forgiven Crosby for the junior-era lacrosse goal he stuffed around a Quebec Remparts goalie, a highlight reel piece of hot-dogging.

"I never did understand that stuff and I don't know," said Toronto coach Pat Quinn of the anti-Crosby mutterings in particular but also the rip-down tendencies to which stars are routinely subjected. "It could be jealousy. Some of this stuff sounds personal.


http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I will reiterate back on topic though - Crosby, AO or Malkin, you really could do no wrong with any of those, or for that matter any of a dozen more. So hard to judge who will turn out in the end the best cornerstone when they do not even half half a year under their belts. But based on actually having them for the next almost decade (unlike some mentioned here who are older and will be UFA's much sooner) I would personally take one of those three.


Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 01-02-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 05:06 AM
  #66
ahmon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,250
vCash: 500
forward= staal
dman= phaneuf
goalie= r.miller

ahmon is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 09:48 AM
  #67
Bobby Orr's Knees
Registered User
 
Bobby Orr's Knees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Where it hurts most
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
You want it more eloquent perhaps?

Yet, the "respect" that Crosby referenced on draft day has not always been there, or maybe it's simply not been there in some of the predictable corners of dissent.

On opening night in New Jersey, the Pens visiting, chants of "overrated" echoed around Continental Airlines Arena. In recent weeks, there has arisen a whiff of backlash against Crosby, not greatly different from that experienced sporadically by Gretzky. The Golden Boy with a head of luscious black waves, actually has been spanked around a bit, accused of being a diver, that he whines too much at on-ice officials, that he displayed insensitivity in comments after the firing of Pittsburgh coach Ed Olcyzk. And there remains, of course, the palpable sneering of broadcast-mouth Don Cherry Jason Spezza shill who appears never to have forgiven Crosby for the junior-era lacrosse goal he stuffed around a Quebec Remparts goalie, a highlight reel piece of hot-dogging.

"I never did understand that stuff and I don't know," said Toronto coach Pat Quinn of the anti-Crosby mutterings in particular but also the rip-down tendencies to which stars are routinely subjected. "It could be jealousy. Some of this stuff sounds personal.


http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I will reiterate back on topic though - Crosby, AO or Malkin, you really could do no wrong with any of those, or for that matter any of a dozen more. So hard to judge who will turn out in the end the best cornerstone when they do not even half half a year under their belts. But based on actually having them for the next almost decade (unlike some mentioned here who are older and will be UFA's much sooner) I would personally take one of those three.
It may be more eloquent, but you take this silly debate just as personally as pens and drmoses. Amazing.

Bobby Orr's Knees is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
  #68
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsyear
As if Kasparaitis doesnt deserve it. He has dished out more cheap hits then he will ever recieve in his career. I kind of enjoyed it.
I guess you enjoyed watching Bertuzzi hit Moore?!!!

Crosby hit Kasparaitis because the ref didn't make a call on Crosby getting tripped earlier in the shift and Crosby retaliated and hit Kaspar from behind. Legal hit, no! A hit in retaliation for a cheap shot by Kaspar, no! A hit in retaliation because Crosby was ticked off at the non-call, yes!!!

If you have been watching Kaspar this year, he has played it clean but I guess you've been too busy watching the Bruins play Lady Byng hockey!

Jackson Ranger is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
  #69
Kaizer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Moscow , Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
I will be first to mention Malkin. Before this season I wasn't high on him, but now. He is my favorite and he is still developing. I'm sure that he will be huge star in NHL in 99% but to avoid from some occasions with translating I would prefer Staal or Ovechkin.

Kaizer is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:14 PM
  #70
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
I guess you enjoyed watching Bertuzzi hit Moore?!!!

Crosby hit Kasparaitis because the ref didn't make a call on Crosby getting tripped earlier in the shift and Crosby retaliated and hit Kaspar from behind. Legal hit, no! A hit in retaliation for a cheap shot by Kaspar, no! A hit in retaliation because Crosby was ticked off at the non-call, yes!!!

If you have been watching Kaspar this year, he has played it clean but I guess you've been too busy watching the Bruins play Lady Byng hockey!

And Crosby, rightly, got a penalty for it. Despite the non-call. Is everything the Kid does an excuse for bashing? What is the point. He got and served a penalty. And yet we still need to hear about it a week later.

Jaded-Fan is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
  #71
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
And Crosby, rightly, got a penalty for it. Despite the non-call. Is everything the Kid does an excuse for bashing? What is the point. He got and served a penalty. And yet we still need to hear about it a week later.
I have no problem with Crosby, the Penguins or even the officiating from that game.

My problem was with Bruinsyear who "enjoyed" seeing a player hit from behind because of his past.

BTW, the game was on Saturday. Since when is 48 hours a week?


Last edited by Jackson Ranger: 01-02-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Jackson Ranger is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 01:53 PM
  #72
XX
Lots of Try
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Executionville
Country: United States
Posts: 28,849
vCash: 500
1. Ovechkin - his attitude is just better than the others
2. Staal - huge, maybe the best gamebreaker
3. Crosby

Why build from the goal out? Veteran goalies are the ones that lead you to the promised land, not young ones. If you play your chips right you can land a veteran goalie who gets hot and can take you all the way. Id rather have an explosive offense than a tight defense. The game is meant to entertain!

XX is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 02:06 PM
  #73
19nazzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 17,194
vCash: 500
Foward: Ovechkin HM to Kovalchuk
Defense: Redden
Goalie: Luongo

19nazzy is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
  #74
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Mike Richards...can play in any situation, born leader. if I start a team, I want someone not only be able to play at any time of the game but also be the leader.

firstroundbust is offline  
Old
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
  #75
Assasin05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 245
vCash: 500
Wayne Gretzky - Foward
Dion Phaneuf - Defensemen
Luongo - Goalie -> For sure the best right now to make a team.

Assasin05 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.