HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One player you would build your team around

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
If he never becomes a free agent: M.A.F

Old
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
C-J...*

Chris Chelios.

Great future ahead of him.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHfan4ever
Ovechkin.He is the total package!....followed up closely by Crosby...then Theodore

Old
01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
You want it more eloquent perhaps?

Yet, the "respect" that Crosby referenced on draft day has not always been there, or maybe it's simply not been there in some of the predictable corners of dissent.

On opening night in New Jersey, the Pens visiting, chants of "overrated" echoed around Continental Airlines Arena. In recent weeks, there has arisen a whiff of backlash against Crosby, not greatly different from that experienced sporadically by Gretzky. The Golden Boy with a head of luscious black waves, actually has been spanked around a bit, accused of being a diver, that he whines too much at on-ice officials, that he displayed insensitivity in comments after the firing of Pittsburgh coach Ed Olcyzk. And there remains, of course, the palpable sneering of broadcast-mouth Don Cherry Jason Spezza shill who appears never to have forgiven Crosby for the junior-era lacrosse goal he stuffed around a Quebec Remparts goalie, a highlight reel piece of hot-dogging.

"I never did understand that stuff and I don't know," said Toronto coach Pat Quinn of the anti-Crosby mutterings in particular but also the rip-down tendencies to which stars are routinely subjected. "It could be jealousy. Some of this stuff sounds personal.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I will reiterate back on topic though - Crosby, AO or Malkin, you really could do no wrong with any of those, or for that matter any of a dozen more. So hard to judge who will turn out in the end the best cornerstone when they do not even half half a year under their belts. But based on actually having them for the next almost decade (unlike some mentioned here who are older and will be UFA's much sooner) I would personally take one of those three.
I think Brad's point was that you took a totally open-ended question, where all sorts of names are popping up (Kovalchuk, Staal, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Luongo, Lehtonen, etc.) and made it into another Crosby vs. Ovechkin argument.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:34 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr's Knees
It may be more eloquent, but you take this silly debate just as personally as pens and drmoses. Amazing.
He made several excellent points and was told to grow up...

What do you want from him?

Old
01-02-2006, 02:35 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
I think Brad's point was that you took a totally open-ended question, where all sorts of names are popping up (Kovalchuk, Staal, Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Luongo, Lehtonen, etc.) and made it into another Crosby vs. Ovechkin argument.
Or perhaps he narrowed it down to two players and explained his reasoning fro choosing one over the other...

Old
01-02-2006, 02:40 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
Or perhaps he narrowed it down to two players and explained his reasoning fro choosing one over the other...
Obsess much?

Old
01-02-2006, 02:44 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Jack Johnson

Old
01-02-2006, 02:55 PM
teme

Two positions on a hockey team were invidual talent can decide games are the goalie and the #1 goal scorer. Goalies are easier to aquire, so I'll go with scorer:

Kovalchuk, he has got the talent and has got the attidue. Honorable mention to Rick Nash.

Old
01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Ronald Pagan

If there's any one position to build around it's the goaltender. That said, picking which goaltender to emerge into a superstar is pretty difficult.

Old
01-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:

Actually that was the case but in all seriousness if you are not bashing Crosby you seem to need to grow up on these boards. I certainly do not see the reaction the other way. As for the topic itself, I will explain further if it helps make the answer more 'mature'. Two supposedly generational talents came out one year after the other and then we get a new UFA rule that at least makes them comparatively cheap until they reach UFA status at age 27, and guarentees that you keep them until, again at 27. Both are seeming to live up to the hype, AO simply is amazing and Crosby is doing things few if any 18 year olds have ever done at the NHL level. So I would narrow it down to AO or Crosby if I were building a team given the new rules. Between the two I would take the 18 year old, but would be very excited to have either. For that matter I would throw Malkin into the mix for similar reasons, however he has yet to do what the other two have, prove it at the NHL level. Hence those two.

Old
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Sidney Crosby quite easily...

He's 18 while Ovechkin is 20. That's the difference. I take Crosby banking on 20 year old SC being better than 20 year old AO and so on....

It's only logical.
Yeah, and when Alex is 60, Crosby will be only 58.

I like the comparison to Gordie Howe for Ovechkin. That would be great for this generation of fans [myself included] to be able to see a player who can dominate like Gordie. Plus, Alex has the charisma. Gordie always seemed a bit too blocky and arrogant to me.

Old
01-02-2006, 05:05 PM
HfxMoose

Marc-Andre Fleury. A lot of great players to chose from but why not start with the most important position!

Closed Thread