HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part V

Old
09-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Legionnaire11
PredaBolts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The Titans aren't my team but if you're attempting to dog on them for trading down and drafting Conklin I have no idea what you're trying to say. Doing just that was a smart move and everyone knew it. Try having a team with no offensive linemen, I'm sure it'll go really well. Plus they robbed the Rams of their first rounder next year after they have another awful season so the Titans reap the benefits of that also. Their GM is one of the league's up and coming young minds and he's wasting no time getting rid of players that were from old management in favor of his own guys and the types that he helped assemble in New England. He's the same guy that basically drafted Gronkowski on his own. I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't think the Titans are moving in the right direction. It'll take a few years probably but I feel like it's kind of an indisputable fact that they are.
It's tough being a Titans fan on these boards, a lot of resentment and irrational hate towards them. When you go to more the boards of more established sports cities, where fans grew up with all 4, or several teams, you see how the fans embracing all sports.

Personally I love what the Titans are doing, the offense is looking so much better but the defensive side still needs improvement. The secondary has been a weak spot for so long and I hope they can take a step forward and accomplish something during Casey's career, it would be a shame to waste his talents they way they have so far.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Batey and Vanderburg. I had to look up their names. The Batey trial was going on when I was down there. I can't believe that the other guy had 2 trials.
Both of them had 2 trials. One of the jurors was found to have background that made impartiality questionable so a mistrial was called and subsequent re-trials held.

Also I am a Titans fan, too. Not in a "I'm going to the game" kind of way or "participate in their message board" kind of way, but I have probably watched every game they've been in and want them to do well. Mr. Adz keeps up with the Titans, I keep up with the Preds. Works for us.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
The Titans aren't my team but if you're attempting to dog on them for trading down and drafting Conklin I have no idea what you're trying to say. Doing just that was a smart move and everyone knew it. Try having a team with no offensive linemen, I'm sure it'll go really well. Plus they robbed the Rams of their first rounder next year after they have another awful season so the Titans reap the benefits of that also. Their GM is one of the league's up and coming young minds and he's wasting no time getting rid of players that were from old management in favor of his own guys and the types that he helped assemble in New England. He's the same guy that basically drafted Gronkowski on his own. I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't think the Titans are moving in the right direction. It'll take a few years probably but I feel like it's kind of an indisputable fact that they are.
I have no faith in Mularky as a coach. Or their horrible owners that only made changes when they started to lose attendance and very little in Mariota as a QB. Running QB's don't last long.

Last edited by Gnashville: 09-05-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2016, 09:41 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I'm a Packers fan. And my #2 team is Jacksonville. It is because of this I have a dislike for the Titans.

And I still haven't forgiven Bud Adams for moving the Oilers.

Facebook - @jwhouk
Where I'd really rather be right now

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2016, 07:58 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
yeah, Bud should have stayed in Houston in the Astrodome, that was deemed so unfit a game was cancelled. Bud wanted to stay in Houston, Houston didn't want Bud.

That said, Bud is gone, it's our team now.

I pull for local sports, Predators Vandy, MTSU, local baseball and football players, etc. I used to hate UT but not so much now since I know kids that play on the team.

This weekend, I'll be a MTSU fan though, sorry Vandy, I have to pull for the Rutherford county team with all of the Rutherford county boys. 8 players from MTSU's roster are from Rutherford county, 5 more from Nashville/Antioch. The main 2 star players are from Blackman and Segal and I've watched both grow up.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
yeah, Bud should have stayed in Houston in the Astrodome, that was deemed so unfit a game was cancelled. Bud wanted to stay in Houston, Houston didn't want Bud.

I pull for local sports, Predators Vandy, MTSU, local baseball and football players, etc. I used to hate UT but not so much now since I know kids that play on the team.

This weekend, I'll be a MTSU fan though, sorry Vandy, I have to pull for the Rutherford county team with all of the Rutherford county boys. 8 players from MTSU's roster are from Rutherford county, 5 more from Nashville/Antioch. The main 2 star players are from Blackman and Segal and I've watched both grow up.
That does make a difference. Dont'a Hightower is from Lewisburg where I lived long enough to graduate and my niece went to school with him...at Alabama. Urgggg....but I pulled for them to "be happy" though unlike you I couldn't really cheer "for" Alabama (and now the Patriots).

Old
09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Quote:

I'm weird. When I'm living here I don't root for UT but when I'm in other parts of country I root for them a little bit because it sort of represents the fact that I'm from Tennessee so I'm cool with it. Plus I'm not one of those fans with a deep-rooted family hatred for them, I just don't root for them (my sister even graduated from UTK so there's that).

Speaking of MTSU-Vandy, and kind of contradicting the local angle that I just mentioned, I'm all in for Vandy since I went to WKU. I root for MTSU for lose every week, but it goes even more so when they play a team I root for on the side.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Speaking of MTSU-Vandy, and kind of contradicting the local angle that I just mentioned, I'm all in for Vandy since I went to WKU. I root for MTSU for lose every week, but it goes even more so when they play a team I root for on the side.
There are limits. In football I have a deep seated hatred for University of Memphis. They knocked us out of the running long long ago when they were SUPPOSED TO LOSE.
I will halfheartedly cheer for them in hoops but I'm also happy if they're beaten.

Old
09-08-2016, 05:04 PM
gwinnettjet

vCash: 372
Classic at Bristol?

With UT/VT set to go this Saturday and BMS's desire to host more non-NASCAR events, do you believe they'd ever get with the Preds and do something.

gwinnettjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I'll be honest--love my Preds but I have absolutely no interest in any sort of outdoor hockey game. I like the intimacy of the rink. I had my fill of experiencing the elements during my college years when I'd go to the home football games. It was neat the first time they did the Heritage Classic and Winter Classic on tv and seeing a game on a California baseball field (LA I think) was novel...but after that it held no real excitement for me.

So they MIGHT but I doubt I'd make the trip.

Old
09-08-2016, 07:02 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Outdoor hockey is awful to watch, both on TV and at the game. And if the Preds did get a game, they would probably just put it at Nissan Stadium.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2016, 08:38 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Bristol is like 300 miles from Nashville it is hard to get fans to travel that far. The only team they could play would be Washington in Bristol. They probably could seat 200,000 in Bristol. If Nashville hosts a classic it will be in Nissan Stadium.

Old
09-08-2016, 08:54 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

How's Vanderbilt Stadium holding up? Think they could do it there? And there's no weird "no beer sales" thing that'd screw things up like it did with U of M's stadium while the Vikings were there?

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
How's Vanderbilt Stadium holding up? Think they could do it there? And there's no weird "no beer sales" thing that'd screw things up like it did with U of M's stadium while the Vikings were there?
It's a little small. Only holds 40,000 so I don't know that it would be profitable enough. I'd like it but I'm probably in the minority. As for the facilities, it's been 25 years since I went to a game so I can't say.

Old
09-09-2016, 12:07 AM
braindead

Forget Nissan stadium... Recall when the d-bag Titans management wouldn't allow a u2 concert in August because it might mess up the grass for preseason? The city and state cut a lousy deal with the Titans that allows the stadium to sit empty at the whims of the team.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2016, 07:40 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Forget Nissan stadium... Recall when the d-bag Titans management wouldn't allow a u2 concert in August because it might mess up the grass for preseason? The city and state cut a lousy deal with the Titans that allows the stadium to sit empty at the whims of the team.
Whatever your opinion may be, it's still the only venue that would ever work here since we don't have an MLB stadium. That being said, the only way we're ever in a Winter Classic will be as the road team. I still don't see the NHL letting us be in one though because of the (justifiable) worry that we won't bring enough fans and money to the game.

Last edited by Drake744: 09-09-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old
09-09-2016, 08:11 AM
KurtAngle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
It's a little small. Only holds 40,000 so I don't know that it would be profitable enough. I'd like it but I'm probably in the minority. As for the facilities, it's been 25 years since I went to a game so I can't say.
I am a season ticket holder to Vandy. Facilities are about the same, except they have the synthetic type field, now.

I don't know if it would be "profitable enough." But, wouldn't it be a nice way to build more local interest? I think it would be a neat one time thing here. I think it would be better to have a vocal, excited group of 40,000 than a probably not filled Nissan Stadium.

I like the outdoor games as a one time thing, but they have lost a bit of the specialness they had when it started.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Whatever your opinion may be, it's still the only venue that would ever work here since we don't have an MLB stadium. That being said, the only way we're ever in a Winter Classic will be as the road team. I still don't see the NHL letting us be in one though because of the (justifiable) worry that we won't bring enough fans and money to the game.
Which is fine by me. I pray that they never play in one. Outdoor games are junk. They are more of an experience much like All-Star weekend.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
It would probably be the best choice as the U shape is more conducive for hockey. As you said the beer sales could be a problem and would smaller attendance (40K to 45K) be attractive to the NHL.

UT would be a good choice 100K+ but distance from Nashville is a issue

Last edited by Gnashville: 09-09-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old
09-09-2016, 03:14 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
The weather here is why it would be tough, not the sun or heat but the sudden driving down poors that can happen any time of year.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2016, 03:21 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
The weather here is why it would be tough, not the sun or heat but the sudden driving down poors that can happen any time of year.
While it seems counterintuitive, an ice storm during an outdoor game would not be a good thing here, either. I just don't think we're a good candidate for an outdoor game, being realistic. We MIGHT have the best possible weather (see All Star Game, 2016) but it isn't something you could count on.

Old
09-09-2016, 03:25 PM
Preds33

Quote:
This is not an excuse. If they can have an outdoor game in LA or St. Louis, they can have it here even though I am 100% against an outdoor game.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
This is not an excuse. If they can have an outdoor game in LA or St. Louis, they can have it here even though I am 100% against an outdoor game.
In LA it won't be raining so they can handle it. In St. Louis it will likely be snowing if there's any precipitation. Rain is the enemy of these things.

Old
09-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Legionnaire11
PredaBolts

MTSU have away the first half to Vandy, then decided that they didn't need to try after the weather delay. That's one that they'd like to have a do-over... at least it wasn't a conference game.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2016, 09:34 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
MTSU have away the first half to Vandy, then decided that they didn't need to try after the weather delay. That's one that they'd like to have a do-over... at least it wasn't a conference game.
It was 19-10 before the weather and Shurmer was 0-9 passing then MTSU blocked a punt and it was 19-17. From that point on Vandy out scored them 28-7 and dominated that game. MT could not stop the run. Anyone that thought Middle was going to win that game is either a Vandy hater or has a kid on the Blue Raiders.