Notices

Game Thread: Bruins @ Ducks l 10/19/03 l 8 ET l NESN

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 05:33 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

vCash: 500
Nice!

Considering they've played back-to-back games, I'm impressed.

Now if they could actually get ahead from the get-go.....

Old
10-19-2003, 05:33 PM
JOHNNY V

VIVA LA BRUINS ANOTHER GREAT WIN

Old
10-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGrl819
Sammy scores!!!!!!!

Bruins win!!!

Nice come from behind.
Excellent!!!!!! Another great come from behind win. This team seems to be really starting to gell. Can anyone give a good breakdown on the game...I have been on planes all day and wont see the tape till friday.

Details please!

Old
10-19-2003, 05:37 PM
JOHNNY V

viva la vachon cakes

Now time to go on the Habs board to troll

Old
10-19-2003, 05:39 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
Now time to go on the Habs board to troll
I'm strongly recommending you don't do that, as chances are, you will be banned for your actions (not by me or Wally, but I can't say exactly how the Habs mods will react), whether or not the Habs fans consider you their favorite troll.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
A few observations!

1st who is the Unibrower! that is on between periods on Nesn?
2nd I love the fact that guys are really starting to take offence to people hitting jumbo Joe! (even if it's boyton both times!)
3rd Sammy is just awesome! he can just flat out change a game!
4th What is with all the ugly jerseys this year 1st Minnesota, then dallas now the might flying chickens! Just UG-ly!

Old
10-19-2003, 05:41 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

The Thornton line was dominnant, Murray had a few beauty chances, he looks a little snake bitten.

Can't fault Razor on any of the goals really. He did come up with a few important saves in the 3rd to keep the Bruins in it.

Sammy and Rolston were flying all night.

Great come from behind win!

Old
10-19-2003, 05:42 PM
HockeyGoddess

Beautiful first goal by Knuble, and WONDERFUL to see Sammy scoring again! I was chuckling when Dave Shea was yapping about who might get the game-winner... I immediately thought of Sergei S. and Shea was going on about Muzz and Joe T., and then Sergei F. as the possible game-winning goal scorer.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Excellent!!!!!! Another great come from behind win. This team seems to be really starting to gell. Can anyone give a good breakdown on the game...I have been on planes all day and wont see the tape till friday.

Details please!
jillson was KEY on the O.T. samsonov goal. great job of keeping and getting the puck in deep. boynton SMOKED salei after salei boarded thornton in the 3rd. rayzor was his usuall 110% focused/unphased self. PK continues to be this teams biggest problem and MUST BE ADDRESSED. green wasnt played much at all-surprising for back-to-backs so im GUESSING he has a small injury. axelsson needs to get more icetime IMO-playing solid as ever but very limited under sullivan. might explain the bad PK to a degree. sammys goal was a regular seat-jerking highlight dippsy doodle-top shelf type goal that he does so damn easily...i get so darn jealous seeing the way he skates-i imagine alot in NHL envy him too. i think we need more of PJ stock too...we're not hitting that much and that IMO is the biggest problem OTHER THEN the PK. we're not ELIMINATING opponents in the offensive zone or neutral zone NEARLY good enough. we're allowing teams to entire our zone with great speed which is unacceptable. the best players tonight IMO were 1. rayzor-great job of being composed and giving the bruins a chance to get back into the game 2. mcgillis-threw a BIGTIME hit on sykora in the 3rd which the team really responded to. 3. boynton-coming to thornton's aid 4. jillson-was INSTRUMENTAL in O.T. goal. 5. knuble-really seems to have a impact on that 1st line that was lacking without him

Old
10-19-2003, 05:57 PM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets
1st who is the Unibrower! that is on between periods on Nesn?
2nd I love the fact that guys are really starting to take offence to people hitting jumbo Joe! (even if it's boyton both times!)
3rd Sammy is just awesome! he can just flat out change a game!
4th What is with all the ugly jerseys this year 1st Minnesota, then dallas now the might flying chickens! Just UG-ly!
In answer to your 1st question, it's Corey Masse. He's usually the play-by-play guy on the radio for the P-Bruins, but he fills in in the studio for Tom Caron for B-Bruins games when Tom isn't available.

Re: your second comment... last night it was Jeff Jillson that came to Joe T.'s defense. Tonight it was Nick Boynton.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:59 PM
nhlbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Beautiful first goal by Knuble, and WONDERFUL to see Sammy scoring again! I was chuckling when Dave Shea was yapping about who might get the game-winner... I immediately thought of Sergei S. and Shea was going on about Muzz and Joe T., and then Sergei F. as the possible game-winning goal scorer.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!
i was too!!! he only played 8 games last year and had game winners in just about half of them. remember the classic against colorado in the last couple seconds? let's hope he works his magic again next game...which just so happens to be in colorado again

Old
10-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Sleemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
knuble-really seems to have a impact on that 1st line that was lacking without him
I agree that Knuble makes that 1st line go a lot better.
That was a great goal by Sammy in O.T. I'm a little concerned though that being off the 1st line he might not have the horses to play with that he needs. I also really like the Axelsson-Rolston-Bergeron line.
It's nice that Boynton has Joe's back, but he was lucky the ref gave the other guy 5 for fighting. Raycroft played solid, I thought he could/should of had the one goal(Prospal) I think.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
DBL

What another great finish, this team can really raise there level of play when they want. Lots of character on this team.

Now with that being said, the PK was horrible again. They just let the Ducks pass it around with ease running around like morons, it's very scary looking. They get there PK shored up and these games won't be so close.

Other than that there were no glaring weaknesses tonight. The overall defensive play of the whole team was good, not many odd man rushes, least not 2on1's.

Offensively the Thornton line completely dominated the whole game down low. Knuble is meant to be with Joe and Glen, there perfect together, lets Knuble use his strenght's to full use being on that line. Which is digging in the corners, and cycling down low, plus he's got a great shot.

Green and Lapointe don't mix with Sammy, Bergeron would be so much better with him but I like him with Rolston, and Axelsson so I dunno, maybe Zino will be the guy down the road who can play with Sammy. Green has a second line center isn't good at all, he's a good nasty hard working player, but he don't have the skills to produce.

Boynton played a great game, he was just right into tonights game playing physical has usually and made some nice outlet passes out of the zone. His puck control was much better tonight. I kind've got mad at him abit when he jumped in for Joe. I mean it was nice and all that he stepped in to say "no one takes a cheap shot on our best player for free" but that would've been the Bruins first PP of the game which I thought they badly needed at the time. Certainly wasn't the smartest move, but since the game ended up like it did he's off the hook and I am actually happy he did it.

Bergeron same old same old, calm with the puck, played smart, and picked up another point which he did all the work for to now lead the league in rookie scoring. Very nice, he's gotta be staying here.

Raycroft didn't look at the top of his game tonight but did end up making a few nice saves to keep the Bruins in the game. The first and third goals where not his fault really, I feel the second one could've been stopped although it was a nice shot.

Murray was being checked again like crazy, he's going to have to start creating some offence on his own or he won't be back to the 40 goal club again. There all over him...

And last be not least what an awesome OT goal. Sammy is a clutch player, 3 GWG's in 8 games last season and now in 5 games he's got another one. He's a pure game-breaker. Also Jillson made a great play to steal the puck to give it to Sammy, read the play beautifully.

Amazing back to back comebacks, I love it...

Old
10-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL
What another great finish, this team can really raise there level of play when they want. Lots of character on this team.

Now with that being said, the PK was horrible again. They just let the Ducks pass it around with ease running around like morons, it's very scary looking. They get there PK shored up and these games won't be so close.

Other than that there were no glaring weaknesses tonight. The overall defensive play of the whole team was good, not many odd man rushes, least not 2on1's.

Offensively the Thornton line completely dominated the whole game down low. Knuble is meant to be with Joe and Glen, there perfect together, lets Knuble use his strenght's to full use being on that line. Which is digging in the corners, and cycling down low, plus he's got a great shot.

Green and Lapointe don't mix with Sammy, Bergeron would be so much better with him but I like him with Rolston, and Axelsson so I dunno, maybe Zino will be the guy down the road who can play with Sammy. Green has a second line center isn't good at all, he's a good nasty hard working player, but he don't have the skills to produce.

Boynton played a great game, he was just right into tonights game playing physical has usually and made some nice outlet passes out of the zone. His puck control was much better tonight. I kind've got mad at him abit when he jumped in for Joe. I mean it was nice and all that he stepped in to say "no one takes a cheap shot on our best player for free" but that would've been the Bruins first PP of the game which I thought they badly needed at the time. Certainly wasn't the smartest move, but since the game ended up like it did he's off the hook and I am actually happy he did it.

Bergeron same old same old, calm with the puck, played smart, and picked up another point which he did all the work for to now lead the league in rookie scoring. Very nice, he's gotta be staying here.

Raycroft didn't look at the top of his game tonight but did end up making a few nice saves to keep the Bruins in the game. The first and third goals where not his fault really, I feel the second one could've been stopped although it was a nice shot.

Murray was being checked again like crazy, he's going to have to start creating some offence on his own or he won't be back to the 40 goal club again. There all over him...

And last be not least what an awesome OT goal. Sammy is a clutch player, 3 GWG's in 8 games last season and now in 5 games he's got another one. He's a pure game-breaker. Also Jillson made a great play to steal the puck to give it to Sammy, read the play beautifully.

agree with almost everything. boynton-or someone HAS to jump in for joe. i personally dont care what the score or situation in the game. a message needs to be-and you're damn straight it is now-that if you mess with our topgun-we'll gun for you. back-to-back wins and back-to-back examples of what happens if you mess with joe. I LOVE IT! i think razor was just as sharp as usual-accept anaheim drove the net harder then we've seen in awhile and it caused some confusion because our 'd' wasnt taking the body enough in the early going.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:31 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20

Details please!
1st B's goal comes from Rolston when team down 1-0. Bergeron makes a nice play down low, puck ends up on Rolston's stick in the slot and he fires it in for his 4th of the year.

15 seconds later, Vinny Prospal makes it 2-1 with a nice shot that beats Raycroft high to the blocker side and goes in off the far post for his 1st on the year.

Steve Rucchin makes it 3-1 on a power play after Mike Knuble was whistled. Shot from the point gets by Raycroft but hits off the post and bounces out. Rucchin is there to tap the rebound in. I initially thought Sean O'Donnell should've put Rucchin on his face, but tried to play the puck instead, but after looking at the replay, it appeared that he wouldn't have gotten to him in time even if he had taken the body on him.

Knuble starts the comeback on a poor line change by the Ducks that allows him to get in behind the defense on a breakaway. Giguere comes out, but Knuble deftly tucks the puck to his backhand, goes wide and slides it into the cage along the ice for his 2nd on the year.

Then, after the Thornton-Salei-Boynton altercation to even up the penalties, the Bruins caught a break with a very marginal call that went against Havelid on a takedown of Samsonov. Thornton and Murray do some nice tic-tac-toe passing and Knuble rips a high shot past Giguere to tie the score.

In OT, Jillson had a very nice shot that Giguere made a great right pad save on, but the Ducks couldn't get the puck out. Jillson steps in from the point and feeds Samsonov at the left circle, who then skates in alone on Giguere and fires a shot under the goalie's arm that hits the far post and bounces into the net for the winner. Samsonov goal no. 2 on the season.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:30 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowL

love the assessment- I too am not big on Green with Samsonov; few people have seen Zinovjev and nobody yet at this level- but I'm ready for this line

Samsonov-Zinovjev-Lapointe

you can leave Bergeron with Ax and Rolston and Green now becomes the jack of all trades and when Zamuner comes back you have Green and Zamuner on 4th line on a healthy team- that is depth, serious depth.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:30 PM
lux_interior

I just got back from the game. Good game...I guess.

The Bruins played well. What is that, their third comeback in a row?

The top line was dominant for the Bruins. They had the Ducks hemmed in their own zone the entire game.

Fedorov had a chance for the go ahead goal late in the 3rd, coming down the right wing, near where we were sitting. I swear he missed the net on the far side by, minimum, 3 feet. What the hell was that!!!

Samsonov looked good. I don't know what got into Boynton. I know he's protecting the captain and all. But I honestly didn't think the boarding was THAT bad. I've seen much worse. Definitely a penalty. But Boynton evened things up with the instigator. But then the refs bailed him out with a hooking call on Havelid.

Then it all went down the crapper for the Ducks after that.

Anyways, congrats on the win.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:39 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
1st B's goal comes from Rolston when team down 1-0. Bergeron makes a nice play down low, puck ends up on Rolston's stick in the slot and he fires it in for his 4th of the year.

15 seconds later, Vinny Prospal makes it 2-1 with a nice shot that beats Raycroft high to the blocker side and goes in off the far post for his 1st on the year.

Steve Rucchin makes it 3-1 on a power play after Mike Knuble was whistled. Shot from the point gets by Raycroft but hits off the post and bounces out. Rucchin is there to tap the rebound in. I initially thought Sean O'Donnell should've put Rucchin on his face, but tried to play the puck instead, but after looking at the replay, it appeared that he wouldn't have gotten to him in time even if he had taken the body on him.

Knuble starts the comeback on a poor line change by the Ducks that allows him to get in behind the defense on a breakaway. Giguere comes out, but Knuble deftly tucks the puck to his backhand, goes wide and slides it into the cage along the ice for his 2nd on the year.

Then, after the Thornton-Salei-Boynton altercation to even up the penalties, the Bruins caught a break with a very marginal call that went against Havelid on a takedown of Samsonov. Thornton and Murray do some nice tic-tac-toe passing and Knuble rips a high shot past Giguere to tie the score.

In OT, Jillson had a very nice shot that Giguere made a great right pad save on, but the Ducks couldn't get the puck out. Jillson steps in from the point and feeds Samsonov at the left circle, who then skates in alone on Giguere and fires a shot under the goalie's arm that hits the far post and bounces into the net for the winner. Samsonov goal no. 2 on the season.
I don't know what was longer- Brady to Troy Brown or Knuble's breakaway. I was watching Knuble go after the puck and 'assuming' there was a Duck player somewhere? anywhere? between the puck and the goalie.

Also, I hope Mike Babcock is OK. He looks a bit wound behind the bench. He's probably a good guy and I bet he's great to wife and kids but he seems to want to present a picture of determination to one and all. He can't be worse than Hitchcock though- imagine him running the Red Sox trying to install 'conflict managament' or 'flight or fight' philosophy or whatever BS he's up to....

and finally, when is the next GOOD ONE (ie. Sergei Zinovjev) arriving. I figure if he's a legit playmaking, defensively aware second line center this team is all set at forward; then we need one more defenseman along the lines of Robert G Orr (kidding) like a younger Eric Weinrich type and its home ice for the playoffs and an eventual improbable run with JJ pouring champagne over the head of Harry. The best part of a Bruins Stanley Cup Parade is it will be in late June and we can all wear shorts.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:45 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
line combinations?

what were the lines tonight?

Old
10-19-2003, 07:47 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
I just got back from the game. Good game...I guess.

The Bruins played well. What is that, their third comeback in a row?

The top line was dominant for the Bruins. They had the Ducks hemmed in their own zone the entire game.

Fedorov had a chance for the go ahead goal late in the 3rd, coming down the right wing, near where we were sitting. I swear he missed the net on the far side by, minimum, 3 feet. What the hell was that!!!

Samsonov looked good. I don't know what got into Boynton. I know he's protecting the captain and all. But I honestly didn't think the boarding was THAT bad. I've seen much worse. Definitely a penalty. But Boynton evened things up with the instigator. But then the refs bailed him out with a hooking call on Havelid.

Then it all went down the crapper for the Ducks after that.

Anyways, congrats on the win.
Boynton got hit late in the first period on the right side when Niedermayer finished a check after a breakout pass and Nick was in a pissy mood after that. Its funny because I have been hit the same way- its part of the game but sort of a BS play (atleast when I was on the recieving end ) but I thought at the time when they showed Niedermayer on the bench immediately after that Boynton is going to try and pay you back; in the second Chistov leg tripped him in the corner and did his dipsy doo stuff and Boynton was pissed again and roughed him up abit that bordered on a penalty.

Boynton doesn't forget and holds a grudge- he plays on the edge and although not possessing the sheer force of Stevens likes that same 'open ice' slamaro as an offensive player enters the zone. I love the guy as a player- he gets beat at times but his effort and attitude are noteworthy and I just knew he was set off after the Niedermayer hti. In fact, he probably yelled "Neidermayer dead" after he took the number

Old
10-20-2003, 02:01 AM
HockeyGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatOnContact
what were the lines tonight?
Thornton, Knuble, Murray
Green, Samsonov, Lapointe
Rolston, Axelsson, Bergeron
Donato, Grosek, McCarthy.

Old
10-20-2003, 03:01 AM
Jeff from Maine

I Agree Wih Most All

I agree with just about everything said...

1. Knuble on the top line simply clicks! These 2 are at their best with another mucker on the line.

2. Raycroft gave them a chance to stay in the game, much like Potvin against the Kings. A couple of the goals were VERY weak. That 1 timer from outside the circle HAS to be stopped by an NHL goalie. BUT, he made a couple saves that kept the boys in it,.

3. Great to see them stand up for each other!

Later

Old
10-20-2003, 04:19 AM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
In answer to your 1st question, it's Corey Masse. He's usually the play-by-play guy on the radio for the P-Bruins, but he fills in in the studio for Tom Caron for B-Bruins games when Tom isn't available.

Re: your second comment... last night it was Jeff Jillson that came to Joe T.'s defense. Tonight it was Nick Boynton.
Youa re correct it was Jillson I had one too many Cdn beers on sat night. And this corey masse guy could be roman Checkmanek's long lost brother!

Old
10-20-2003, 07:45 AM
Flyers26

Nice win in OT !

Watch, the Ducks will get their 1st win, vs FLYERS this Wed. nite.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Black7And7Gold

Didja watch the Bruins and Ducks last night?

Something I thought upsetting is a commerical.

4 tickets, 4 pops and 4 hotdogs...$99.

You can't get 2 Bruins tickets for that much can you?!?!?!?!

It's not like the Ducks have a payroll like the Preds or Wild either. Isn't Prospal a $5 mill man and Federov is $8 mill man?

Closed Thread