HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

more explosive offense?

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 04:33 AM
imagine29028

vCash: 500
more explosive offense?

two of the best offensive teams in the league....but who is better?

Colorado

or

Ottawa

I wanted this to be a poll...but this board doesn't have that as an option :mad:

Old
10-18-2003, 05:07 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
two of the best offensive teams in the league....but who is better?

Colorado

or

Ottawa

I
Colorado has more firepower on their top 6, no question about that. But Ottawa has more depth and rolls 4 really solid lines.

Plus I think Ottawa has a better D, 1-6 and better goaltending.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Colorado has more firepower on their top 6, no question about that. But Ottawa has more depth and rolls 4 really solid lines.

Plus I think Ottawa has a better D, 1-6 and better goaltending.
I guess the question is whether Ottawa's better D, 1-6 and better goaltending gives them a better offense than Colorado.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:23 AM
imagine29028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
I guess the question is whether Ottawa's better D, 1-6 and better goaltending gives them a better offense than Colorado.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:49 AM
nathan

I would say that COL has more big names for forwards. Depth-wise, OTT is better.

Can we do a more in-depth comparision of Dmen from the two teams? I'm not too familiar w/ the Sens Dmen.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:52 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
I would say that COL has more big names for forwards. Depth-wise, OTT is better.

Can we do a more in-depth comparision of Dmen from the two teams? I'm not too familiar w/ the Sens Dmen.
In general:

1) Redden
2) Chara
3a) Phillips
3b) Rachunek
4) Volchenkov
5) Curtis L
6) Pothier

But so far this season IMO:

1) Redden
2) Phillps
3) Rachunek
4) Volchenkov
5) Chara
5) Curtis L
6) Pothier

Old
10-18-2003, 05:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think the Avalanche have the most firepower. They have two great top lines, with natural LWers which Ottawa doesn't have. Ottawa has more depth, but the Avs depth is pretty darn good this year as well. They had two goals from their 3rd line against Minnesota. Nikolishin and Battaglia on their 3rd line is excellent, and this is not mentioning their nice young rookies. Their defense is full of offensive defensemen as well

Blake
Morris
Skoula
Liles - rookie who was 1 pt behind the leading college defensemen in points.....has been great for the Avs so far, notching a goal.
Skrastins - his offense has really turned on since coming to the Avs, but is mainly your stay at home type
Foote - defensive defensemen who had a career year in pts scored last year.

Not to take anything away from Ottawa, but I think Colorado wins this one.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Colorado definately has more gamebreakers in their forward lineup. Forsberg, Sakic, Selšnne, Kariya and Hejduk. For the Sens I would say Hossa and Havlat are gamebreakers with Alfredsson as a half-gamebreaker.

If I were the Avs and was going for the cup this season I would never switch forward corps with the Sens (or any team for that matter). If it was a 5 year deal, the Sens will look better in the long run.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:32 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Daniel Alfredsson has been a better player than Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne for a couple of years now, maybe in 1997 Paul & Teemu were better, not in 2003.

Alfie is a gamebreaker.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:37 AM
SwedenRulez

vCash:
Ottawa's offense is deeper than Colorado's one, that makes Ottawa better offensively IMO.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:57 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

In terms of pure offensive explosiveness, the Avs, no question. They have an amazing top 6 of players that are (or at least were) offensive powerhouses but it's their chemestry that makes them so dangerous. Granted they wouldn't come close matching the Sens depth throughout all 4 lines though.

In general, I prefer the Sens D, the Sens O and the Sens D.. but their combination of positions is probably better then anyone else' anyway..

Old
10-18-2003, 07:09 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Colorado, hands down. Ottawa has a very good offense but currently Avs are in a league of their own before teams like OTtawa and Dallas.

Oh and I would rather have Avs D than Sens D. Blake, Foote and Morris are all better than any Sens d-man (Morris and Redden are close to equal IMHO).
Morris is not better than Redden. Redden's much more steady defensively and still brings the offense to the table. We've had this discussion before.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Morris is not better than Redden. Redden's much more steady defensively and still brings the offense to the table. We've had this discussion before.
Agreed, I'd take Redden over any Avs defenseman except for Foote, and even that is really close.

Redden is one of the games better d-man, and he is often overlooked.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:58 AM
Mizral

Fft, no Vancouver? Boo! I'd take my team over both of these ones.

Avs & Ottawa - I don't really think it's fair at all. The Sens have always been a defense first team. Avs should outscore all but 1 or 2 teams in this league.

The Wings too deserve mention. Anyone who doesn't think they will be top 5 in Goals For this year is off their rocker!

Oh, and the Blues.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Agreed, I'd take Redden over any Avs defenseman except for Foote, and even that is really close.

Redden is one of the games better d-man, and he is often overlooked.
If contracts were set aside, I would take Blake over Redden, at least for the next 3 - 4 years.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Fft, no Vancouver? Boo! I'd take my team over both of these ones.

Avs & Ottawa - I don't really think it's fair at all. The Sens have always been a defense first team. Avs should outscore all but 1 or 2 teams in this league.

The Wings too deserve mention. Anyone who doesn't think they will be top 5 in Goals For this year is off their rocker!

Oh, and the Blues.
What about the habs ! 1st OA for goals scored !

Habs are so underated :p

Old
10-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
If contracts were set aside, I would take Blake over Redden, at least for the next 3 - 4 years.
I wouldn't..

Old
10-18-2003, 08:29 AM
Zodiac

Top six ...the Avs.

Overall depth ...the Sens.

I'd say that the Avs could be more explosive.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:50 AM
south-sentral

Any given night, these two teams can kill other teams with their abundance of offense but outside of Forsberg and Sakic I would rather have the sens offense.

Not to mention, the sens have outscored the Avs in four of the past five seasons....But then again it's pointless to debate since they both have explosive offensive prowess

Old
10-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Not to mention, the sens have outscored the Avs in four of the past five seasons....But then again it's pointless to debate since they both have explosive offensive prowess

Couldn't that be attributed to a weaker Eastern conference?

Old
10-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I wouldn't..
Maybe I'm just biased. I admit that I haven't seen enough of Redden.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Maybe I'm just biased. I admit that I haven't seen enough of Redden.
Well neither are defensive powerhouses but Blake's defensive aspects are rather poor and inconsistant. People tend to believe he's a rock in his own end just because he plays a rough physical game, while in fact it could use a lot of work, or at least more consistency. Redden is already showcasing that he's capable being a steady presence defensively as well as contributing more then 40 points offensively and it shows promiss at the age of 25 (?)..

Foote however, is slightly better then Redden and far ahead of Chara..

Old
10-18-2003, 09:08 AM
south-sentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
Couldn't that be attributed to a weaker Eastern conference?
Why should it? If anything, it should be even harder to score goals in the east since teams here just LOVE to trap, on the otherhand, western hockey is more of a run and gun style of play.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:46 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Well neither are defensive powerhouses but Blake's defensive aspects are rather poor and inconsistant.
While I too believe that Rob Blake needs to give more attention to the defensive side of hockey as opposed to the offense, calling his defensive abilities 'rather poor' is *way off*.

'Rather poor' defensive abilities go to people like Tom Poti, Andy Delmore, Igor Ulanov, etc... not top 10 defensemen like Blake. There are little to zero players in the league today with the reach and ability to *throw* any forward around like Blake can. He has alot more physical thus far this season than the past two years in Denver, as well.

While he may focus on the offensive side of the game, given the fact that he has a ridiculous amount of offensive weapons in front of him, he is certainly not poor in his own zone. He tends to skate around too much and chase the puck, but it is rare that a player gets by him or outmuscles him.

On a side note... I tend to ignore *every single one* of your opinions when it comes to the Avalanche. According to you, their offense is ridiculously soft and has no depth(as opposed to commenting on the firepower), their defense has no depth and are all weak defensively except Adam Foote(ignoring the fact that the Avs led all teams' defensemen in goals last year) and that their goaltending is among the worst in the NHL(Aebischer - 1.35 GAA, .950 save percentae *thus far*).

You purposely choose to ignore every single positive thing about this club and go out of your way to belittle every player on the team aside from Joe Sakic and Foote.

Calling Blake 'rather poor' defensively just goes to show that.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
While I too believe that Rob Blake needs to give more attention to the defensive side of hockey as opposed to the offense, calling his defensive abilities 'rather poor' is *way off*.

'Rather poor' defensive abilities go to people like Tom Poti, Andy Delmore, Igor Ulanov, etc... not top 10 defensemen like Blake. There are little to zero players in the league today with the reach and ability to *throw* any forward around like Blake can. He has alot more physical thus far this season than the past two years in Denver, as well.

While he may focus on the offensive side of the game, given the fact that he has a ridiculous amount of offensive weapons in front of him, he is certainly not poor in his own zone. He tends to skate around too much and chase the puck, but it is rare that a player gets by him or outmuscles him.

On a side note... I tend to ignore *every single one* of your opinions when it comes to the Avalanche. According to you, their offense is ridiculously soft and has no depth(as opposed to commenting on the firepower), their defense has no depth and are all weak defensively except Adam Foote(ignoring the fact that the Avs led all teams' defensemen in goals last year) and that their goaltending is among the worst in the NHL(Aebischer - 1.35 GAA, .950 save percentae *thus far*).

You purposely choose to ignore every single positive thing about this club and go out of your way to belittle every player on the team aside from Joe Sakic and Foote.

Calling Blake 'rather poor' defensively just goes to show that.
Wow sorry for not wearing the red goggle's my friend. Maybe I just can't affort a ticket to your wonderful fantasy world where everything is golden and opposed to my opinions.

First of all, I hate and despise Peter Forsberg for his rediculous flopping antics, I feel he's arguably a top 5 player in the world while including his overrated defensive abilities.

Rob Blake, again, I feel he's a top defenseman, IMO barely top 10 and like Forsberg, I feel his defense has been overrated for several seasons. "Rather poor" wasn't maybe the best way to describe his D, but for a so called elite and top 5 defenseman, it's dead on.

The we have David Aebischer, the man that's suddenly God's gift to netminding. Recording a 1.35 GAA, .950 save percentage after 3 games, halleluja, Tretiak, Hasek and Roy have emerged and Aebischer is born. Aebischer is the Avs weakest link and is among the worst, if not the worst netminder compared to the remaining contenders. That was my initial remark, yet you thought it was necessary twisting my words to make me look bad.

Somehow all this totally wrong, rediculous, blown out of proportion and far from the truth, at least according to my dear wigger over here.

While I hate the Avalanche, which healthy Stars fan doesn't, I respect all their players for except Peter, yet I still rate him as a top 5 player in the world, silly me.

Closed Thread