HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney might tap youngsters

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
  #1
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,048
vCash: 500
Renney might tap youngsters

Quote:
Coach Tom Renney indicated the Rangers have been considering whether to augment their current youth movement with a fresh infusion of youths. The coach mentioned Hartford players Jarkko Immonen, Nigel Dawes and Colby Genoway as candidates for a look-see, most likely after the five-game homestand that begins tonight against Tampa Bay
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

Renney said it's not out of the question the Rangers could call up all three players

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 07:05 AM
  #2
RedLightDistrict
Registered User
 
RedLightDistrict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 602
vCash: 500
YES!

RedLightDistrict is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 07:44 AM
  #3
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

Renney said it's not out of the question the Rangers could call up all three players
I thought Genoway wasn't Ranger property? Does that mean they'd have to offer him some kind of contract? Would they have to purchase his contract from Hartford? And, as a side note, does that make him eligible for the HF prospect poll?


Last edited by jas: 01-03-2006 at 07:56 AM.
jas is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
  #4
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,208
vCash: 500
I like this. Especially since it's a move not made out of desperation.

Even if they don't stay too long, it's good to see the committment to the future.

klingsor is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
  #5
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I thought Genoway wasn't Ranger property? Does that mean they'd have to offer him some kind of contract? Would they have to purchase his contract from Hartford? And, as a side note, does that make him eligible for the HF prospect poll?
you are right he isn't rangers property (technically) and would have to be signed to a nhl contract before he can be called up. but thats just a technicality and wouldn't be an issue if there is a roster spot. the only way this works against genoway is that helminen, dawes and immonen are likely to get looks before him since they are already under contract.

NYR469 is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
  #6
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
you are right he isn't rangers property (technically) and would have to be signed to a nhl contract before he can be called up. but thats just a technicality and wouldn't be an issue if there is a roster spot. the only way this works against genoway is that helminen, dawes and immonen are likely to get looks before him since they are already under contract.

The more I think about, he has a contract with Hartford. My guess is that the Rangers would simply purchase that contract from Hartford.

jas is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
  #7
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,097
vCash: 500
A little more follow up - http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p.../1108/SPORTS01

jas is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:43 AM
  #8
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Didn't maloney....

speak of a look-see about 3 or 4 weeks ago too? I'd be interested to know under what circumstances these guys would see get a look-see, and why we need to wait until after the next five games? If the team does well, does he not call them up?

Interesting enough, it appears as though Pock is unlikely to play in tonight's game. His look-see apparently is to look at how he dresses in street clothes (and I guess looks in practice). This is from today's NY Post. Unless the Post is wrong, Rozsival lives to see another start!

Fletch is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
  #9
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough
 
Hire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 23,171
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Good news. I'd love to see Immonen's "look and see" be the 2nd line center slot between Prucha and Rucinsky.

Hire Sather is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:03 AM
  #10
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 500
Anyone else getting a "don't dip your pen in the company ink" vibe from the thread title?

No?

Just me?

Hee hee hee.. Yeah, I'm 12..

Davisian is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
  #11
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The more I think about, he has a contract with Hartford. My guess is that the Rangers would simply purchase that contract from Hartford.
The Rangers would sign Genoway to a NHL contract.They have room with 2-4 spots open on the 50 player under NHL contract list

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
  #12
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc
 
Capitain Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United Nations
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
I was at the 12/31 game and Genoway way far and away the best faceoff man and overall best player on the ice for the Wolfpack.

Jarkko, in my opinion is not ready.

Dawes, is also not ready, but as a winger could help.

Centers have a lot of other things to worry about and that is why I think Jarkko needs this season in the AHL

Capitain Midnight is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
  #13
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
3 new players up, 3 new players down/out?

Even if there are no callups, at the least this is a wake up call to some of the fringe players.

abev is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
  #14
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
thats cool, i thought it was going to say something like use them for trade

man what a change

in the hall is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
  #15
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
speak of a look-see about 3 or 4 weeks ago too? I'd be interested to know under what circumstances these guys would see get a look-see, and why we need to wait until after the next five games? If the team does well, does he not call them up?

Interesting enough, it appears as though Pock is unlikely to play in tonight's game. His look-see apparently is to look at how he dresses in street clothes (and I guess looks in practice). This is from today's NY Post. Unless the Post is wrong, Rozsival lives to see another start!
The Post is almost never right about this team. If the Rangers don't dress him tonight i don't have a problem with it. Why? perhaps they want him to practice with the team for a few days before playing him.

Why wait until after the next 5 games? I don't know Fletch perhaps a trade is brewing that will rid the Rangers of some excess baggage. Or perhaps these comments are a poke and prod at some current rangers that if your game doesn't improve you will be sent down.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 09:55 AM
  #16
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
SoS...

I think that's the case with Pock - which means that if the current six defensemen do well in the next couple games, there's a chance Pock gets sent down without seeing the ice.

As for the latter - there may be a trade brewing, but one would think that a forward would be brought in, not a forward being moved a room being made. I think it's just that Renney doesn't need them now, but if the team falters, or a couple players do not rise to the occasion (can't imagine who to warrrant Dawes coming up) then he may sub one in (or as you say, he's trying to get a rise out of these guys to kick-off the New Year). Nieminen and Rucchin may be a couple of the bubble guys.

Fletch is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
  #17
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I think that's the case with Pock - which means that if the current six defensemen do well in the next couple games, there's a chance Pock gets sent down without seeing the ice.

As for the latter - there may be a trade brewing, but one would think that a forward would be brought in, not a forward being moved a room being made. I think it's just that Renney doesn't need them now, but if the team falters, or a couple players do not rise to the occasion (can't imagine who to warrrant Dawes coming up) then he may sub one in (or as you say, he's trying to get a rise out of these guys to kick-off the New Year). Nieminen and Rucchin may be a couple of the bubble guys.
If the six current defenseman do well in the next couple of games what's wrong with that? Pock gets sent back down and the Rangers defense looks better. We all win (except for pock of course)

Nieminen and Rucchin being scratched/traded/placed on waivers for Immonen and Dawes is just the type of move a rebuilding team makes. Perhaps the Rangers see the next 5 games as a measuring stick. If they come up short insert some youth. I don't understand what the problem is?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
  #18
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 500
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/...5/1108/SPORTS01

"Note: Renney yelled at his squad for not getting shots on goal during a 3-on-1 drill and punished offenders with four cross-ice laps. "It was more for effect, a little acting," Renney said. Jagr and Blair Betts, working together on the drill, wound up skating the laps three times."

I like that.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
  #19
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
On the bright side

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
you are right he isn't rangers property (technically) and would have to be signed to a nhl contract before he can be called up. but thats just a technicality and wouldn't be an issue if there is a roster spot. the only way this works against genoway is that helminen, dawes and immonen are likely to get looks before him since they are already under contract.
it could mean that Federov, or Taffe or Puriton could be 86'd as I believe we are at our 50 contract max.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
  #20
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/...5/1108/SPORTS01

"Note: Renney yelled at his squad for not getting shots on goal during a 3-on-1 drill and punished offenders with four cross-ice laps. "It was more for effect, a little acting," Renney said. Jagr and Blair Betts, working together on the drill, wound up skating the laps three times."

I like that.

I think Renney should make the Rangers do what Herb Brooks did with the 1980 Olympic team when the team did not play well, even if the lights go out. Then the team will learn not to take penalties. Last night Dallas vs Kings on OLN, Dallas leading 2-1 into the 3rd, the Kings scored 2 PP goals by D man Visnovksy and Norstrom to take a 3-2 win. The penalty was in OT by Arnott for tripping. In the game the Kings scored 3 PP goals all by their defenseman. Visnovksy had 2 in the game and Norstrom the GW.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
  #21
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with that...

just stating an opinion, SoS...although I should've said that if four out of the six defensemen do well (leaving out two obvious ones).

Fletch is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
  #22
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
I tought we were maxed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers would sign Genoway to a NHL contract.They have room with 2-4 spots open on the 50 player under NHL contract list
and was the primary reason for not signing someone like callahan over the summer.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
  #23
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
and was the primary reason for not signing someone like callahan over the summer.

u think Callahan wanted alot of money maybe??? U never know??? He can be ufa this summer I think and might use it as leverage.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
  #24
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
just stating an opinion, SoS...although I should've said that if four out of the six defensemen do well (leaving out two obvious ones).
I think Malik is a victim of Rozsival but that is just my opinion. Malik isn't karpa or ulanov he is much better than that.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
  #25
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
If nothing else it's a wake up call to the dead wood on this team. At some point the youngsters need to be looked at and with the team in a mini-skid, they either play better, or others will take their spot. If Poch sits tonight, it would still be nice to see him play in the next game, for Rozival.

shoothepuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.