HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney might tap youngsters

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Renney might tap youngsters

Quote:
Coach Tom Renney indicated the Rangers have been considering whether to augment their current youth movement with a fresh infusion of youths. The coach mentioned Hartford players Jarkko Immonen, Nigel Dawes and Colby Genoway as candidates for a look-see, most likely after the five-game homestand that begins tonight against Tampa Bay
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

Renney said it's not out of the question the Rangers could call up all three players

Old
01-03-2006, 07:05 AM
RedLightDistrict

YES!

Old
01-03-2006, 07:44 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ckey-headlines

Renney said it's not out of the question the Rangers could call up all three players
I thought Genoway wasn't Ranger property? Does that mean they'd have to offer him some kind of contract? Would they have to purchase his contract from Hartford? And, as a side note, does that make him eligible for the HF prospect poll?

Last edited by jas: 01-03-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old
01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I like this. Especially since it's a move not made out of desperation.

Even if they don't stay too long, it's good to see the committment to the future.

Old
01-03-2006, 08:07 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
I thought Genoway wasn't Ranger property? Does that mean they'd have to offer him some kind of contract? Would they have to purchase his contract from Hartford? And, as a side note, does that make him eligible for the HF prospect poll?
you are right he isn't rangers property (technically) and would have to be signed to a nhl contract before he can be called up. but thats just a technicality and wouldn't be an issue if there is a roster spot. the only way this works against genoway is that helminen, dawes and immonen are likely to get looks before him since they are already under contract.

Old
01-03-2006, 08:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
you are right he isn't rangers property (technically) and would have to be signed to a nhl contract before he can be called up. but thats just a technicality and wouldn't be an issue if there is a roster spot. the only way this works against genoway is that helminen, dawes and immonen are likely to get looks before him since they are already under contract.

The more I think about, he has a contract with Hartford. My guess is that the Rangers would simply purchase that contract from Hartford.

Old
01-03-2006, 08:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

A little more follow up - http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p.../1108/SPORTS01

Old
01-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Fletch

Didn't maloney....

speak of a look-see about 3 or 4 weeks ago too? I'd be interested to know under what circumstances these guys would see get a look-see, and why we need to wait until after the next five games? If the team does well, does he not call them up?

Interesting enough, it appears as though Pock is unlikely to play in tonight's game. His look-see apparently is to look at how he dresses in street clothes (and I guess looks in practice). This is from today's NY Post. Unless the Post is wrong, Rozsival lives to see another start!

Old
01-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
Good news. I'd love to see Immonen's "look and see" be the 2nd line center slot between Prucha and Rucinsky.

Old
01-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Davisian

Anyone else getting a "don't dip your pen in the company ink" vibe from the thread title?

No?

Just me?

Hee hee hee.. Yeah, I'm 12..

Old
01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
The more I think about, he has a contract with Hartford. My guess is that the Rangers would simply purchase that contract from Hartford.
The Rangers would sign Genoway to a NHL contract.They have room with 2-4 spots open on the 50 player under NHL contract list

Old
01-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

I was at the 12/31 game and Genoway way far and away the best faceoff man and overall best player on the ice for the Wolfpack.

Jarkko, in my opinion is not ready.

Dawes, is also not ready, but as a winger could help.

Centers have a lot of other things to worry about and that is why I think Jarkko needs this season in the AHL

Old
01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

3 new players up, 3 new players down/out?

Even if there are no callups, at the least this is a wake up call to some of the fringe players.

Old
01-03-2006, 09:40 AM
in the hall

thats cool, i thought it was going to say something like use them for trade

man what a change

Old
01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
speak of a look-see about 3 or 4 weeks ago too? I'd be interested to know under what circumstances these guys would see get a look-see, and why we need to wait until after the next five games? If the team does well, does he not call them up?

Interesting enough, it appears as though Pock is unlikely to play in tonight's game. His look-see apparently is to look at how he dresses in street clothes (and I guess looks in practice). This is from today's NY Post. Unless the Post is wrong, Rozsival lives to see another start!
The Post is almost never right about this team. If the Rangers don't dress him tonight i don't have a problem with it. Why? perhaps they want him to practice with the team for a few days before playing him.

Why wait until after the next 5 games? I don't know Fletch perhaps a trade is brewing that will rid the Rangers of some excess baggage. Or perhaps these comments are a poke and prod at some current rangers that if your game doesn't improve you will be sent down.

Old
01-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Fletch

SoS...

I think that's the case with Pock - which means that if the current six defensemen do well in the next couple games, there's a chance Pock gets sent down without seeing the ice.

As for the latter - there may be a trade brewing, but one would think that a forward would be brought in, not a forward being moved a room being made. I think it's just that Renney doesn't need them now, but if the team falters, or a couple players do not rise to the occasion (can't imagine who to warrrant Dawes coming up) then he may sub one in (or as you say, he's trying to get a rise out of these guys to kick-off the New Year). Nieminen and Rucchin may be a couple of the bubble guys.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I think that's the case with Pock - which means that if the current six defensemen do well in the next couple games, there's a chance Pock gets sent down without seeing the ice.

As for the latter - there may be a trade brewing, but one would think that a forward would be brought in, not a forward being moved a room being made. I think it's just that Renney doesn't need them now, but if the team falters, or a couple players do not rise to the occasion (can't imagine who to warrrant Dawes coming up) then he may sub one in (or as you say, he's trying to get a rise out of these guys to kick-off the New Year). Nieminen and Rucchin may be a couple of the bubble guys.
If the six current defenseman do well in the next couple of games what's wrong with that? Pock gets sent back down and the Rangers defense looks better. We all win (except for pock of course)

Nieminen and Rucchin being scratched/traded/placed on waivers for Immonen and Dawes is just the type of move a rebuilding team makes. Perhaps the Rangers see the next 5 games as a measuring stick. If they come up short insert some youth. I don't understand what the problem is?

Old
01-03-2006, 10:22 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/...5/1108/SPORTS01

"Note: Renney yelled at his squad for not getting shots on goal during a 3-on-1 drill and punished offenders with four cross-ice laps. "It was more for effect, a little acting," Renney said. Jagr and Blair Betts, working together on the drill, wound up skating the laps three times."

I like that.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

On the bright side

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
it could mean that Federov, or Taffe or Puriton could be 86'd as I believe we are at our 50 contract max.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:35 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/...5/1108/SPORTS01

"Note: Renney yelled at his squad for not getting shots on goal during a 3-on-1 drill and punished offenders with four cross-ice laps. "It was more for effect, a little acting," Renney said. Jagr and Blair Betts, working together on the drill, wound up skating the laps three times."

I like that.

I think Renney should make the Rangers do what Herb Brooks did with the 1980 Olympic team when the team did not play well, even if the lights go out. Then the team will learn not to take penalties. Last night Dallas vs Kings on OLN, Dallas leading 2-1 into the 3rd, the Kings scored 2 PP goals by D man Visnovksy and Norstrom to take a 3-2 win. The penalty was in OT by Arnott for tripping. In the game the Kings scored 3 PP goals all by their defenseman. Visnovksy had 2 in the game and Norstrom the GW.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Fletch

Nothing wrong with that...

just stating an opinion, SoS...although I should've said that if four out of the six defensemen do well (leaving out two obvious ones).

Old
01-03-2006, 10:36 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I tought we were maxed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers would sign Genoway to a NHL contract.They have room with 2-4 spots open on the 50 player under NHL contract list
and was the primary reason for not signing someone like callahan over the summer.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:38 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
and was the primary reason for not signing someone like callahan over the summer.

u think Callahan wanted alot of money maybe??? U never know??? He can be ufa this summer I think and might use it as leverage.

Old
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
just stating an opinion, SoS...although I should've said that if four out of the six defensemen do well (leaving out two obvious ones).
I think Malik is a victim of Rozsival but that is just my opinion. Malik isn't karpa or ulanov he is much better than that.

Old
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
shoothepuck

If nothing else it's a wake up call to the dead wood on this team. At some point the youngsters need to be looked at and with the team in a mini-skid, they either play better, or others will take their spot. If Poch sits tonight, it would still be nice to see him play in the next game, for Rozival.

Closed Thread