HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney might tap youngsters

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
romba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger
I dont see anything wrong with being happy the organization is saying the right things.

As for talk being cheap, on these boards it certainly isnt. Imagine Sather, Maloney or Renney had said the opposite? If Rangers management had even alluded to building for a cup run or abandoning the rebuild, people would go absolutely ballistic. No one would wait for a move to occur before we had a 14 page thread bashing everyone involved.
The man speaks the truth. Think about it.

Old
01-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I dont see anything wrong with being happy the organization is saying the right things.

As for talk being cheap, on these boards it certainly isnt. Imagine Sather, Maloney or Renney had said the opposite? If Rangers management had even alluded to building for a cup run or abandoning the rebuild, people would go absolutely ballistic. No one would wait for a move to occur before we had a 14 page thread bashing everyone involved.
amen

Old
01-04-2006, 06:44 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Who said anyone shouldn't be happy? What was written was that accolades should be saved. I hope we both know that being happy and offering accolades are two different things.

Quote:
As for talk being cheap, on these boards it certainly isnt.
Yes but of course the cheap talk to which I'm referring is not that of these boards; it's that of Ranger management where the mantra of "younger, stronger, faster" has been chanted since Neil Smith. Just because it's chanted doesn't mean it's implemented. Recent Ranger history shows that quite plainly, so where Ranger management is concerned, talk is indeed cheap.

Quote:
If Rangers management had even alluded to building for a cup run or abandoning the rebuild, people would go absolutely ballistic. No one would wait for a move to occur before we had a 14 page thread bashing everyone involved.
I disagree. Sather would never be so impolitic as to say that the rebuilding had been abandoned, and one need only check threads on this board - threads that state in plain terms that winning now should be the team's objective - to know that if presented the right way, a youth-for-age trade (or two) in search of playoff success would be welcomed by many here. Heck, the poster above me who just praised your remark has already written that the rebuilding is over.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:14 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Honestly, I'm not sure the 'rebuilding' will or should ever end. With a salary cap, the only possible way to build a team is through a draft. Maybe a few small trades shoring up some holes may work, but trading the farm for big names may not be possible money wise(and will more than likely not work.). As the team does better it may become harder to maintain the 'build' because of the lower picks the team would recieve, but some smart trading and scouting can help to cure that.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Who said anyone shouldn't be happy? What was written was that accolades should be saved. I hope we both know that being happy and offering accolades are two different things.

Yes but of course the cheap talk to which I'm referring is not that of these boards; it's that of Ranger management where the mantra of "younger, stronger, faster" has been chanted since Neil Smith. Just because it's chanted doesn't mean it's implemented. Recent Ranger history shows that quite plainly, so where Ranger management is concerned, talk is indeed cheap.

I disagree. Sather would never be so impolitic as to say that the rebuilding had been abandoned, and one need only check threads on this board - threads that state in plain terms that winning now should be the team's objective - to know that if presented the right way, a youth-for-age trade (or two) in search of playoff success would be welcomed by many here. Heck, the poster above me who just praised your remark has already written that the rebuilding is over.
I never wanted a youth for vet trade. I am the guy who screams about immonen and Dawes being brought up. Yeah i said rebuilding was over but you took my comment out of context. (not surprising knowing you)

Btw just a reminder

the Rangers have 50 points in early January. Oh no they are succesful ut oh now what???

Old
01-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Edge

Personally I don't see the big deal about the comments, they're nothing new, even for the "dark" years.

Now if they actually do it, that's newsworthy.

Old
01-04-2006, 10:18 PM
McRanger

Quote:
The only difference is your point of view. Maybe its just me, but I see alot more people just being happy, or relieved, than using a few quotes as vindication of Sathers tenure or an excuse to give Renney an extention.

Quote:
I know exactly what you meant. My point was that on these boards quotes like that (or ones saying the opposite) tend to hold alot of weight. Less weight depending on what your feelings of Sather are, in relation to the quotes.

Quote:
There are always going to be two sides to the argument. Sather could come out and plainly say that he's going to trade away everyone thats young to make a run at the cup this year, and there will probably be a few people happy.
Thats not what I mean. What I mean is that if Sather even alluded to considering making any type of move that wasnt specifically built for the future, alot of people, inculding some of the long-time and more respected posters, would crucify him, and long before any deal was made. I just dont think that results are the only thing that people on this board look at, on every side of the argument.

Ah whatever, this nonsense isnt even worth a discussion/argument. Lets just hope it comes true.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:29 PM
dedalus

Quote:
The only difference is your point of view.
This isn't about point of view; it's about what was written. Neither True Blue nor I wrote that people shouldn't be happy.

Quote:
Maybe its just me, but I see alot more people just being happy, or relieved, than using a few quotes as vindication of Sathers tenure or an excuse to give Renney an extention.
Does it matter whether it was one or a dozen? The point remains. Offering accolades for something that hasn't been done is silly. Edge puts it nicely in his post.

Quote:
My point was that on these boards quotes like that (or ones saying the opposite) tend to hold alot of weight. Less weight depending on what your feelings of Sather are, in relation to the quotes.
If one wishes to give a great deal of weight to quotes like that, it is his privilege. That doesn't change the fact that quotes like this have come from Ranger management frequently over the past seven years. So while someone may choose to hold the quote as having value, history does not support him in holding it thus. He is choosing to ignore the evidence of the past. In other words, a reader's holding it of value doesn't make the talk any less cheap; it just makes clear that the reader thinks the emperor has clothes when he may have none.

Quote:
What I mean is that if Sather even alluded to considering making any type of move that wasnt specifically built for the future, alot of people, inculding some of the long-time and more respected posters, would crucify him, and long before any deal was made.
Two things on this:
1. Many would do exactly as you say, and it would most definitely be the longest-tenured and most respected posters here leading that charge. We saw that with both the Lindros and Bure trades. At the same time there are still people here who claim those were good moves. I'd also have to check, but I don't recall Sather being particularly crucified when he traded for Rucchin, and that obviously had nothing to do with building for the future. But posters will cast these things in the ways they wish. "Rucchin WAS acquired for the future because the kids can learn from him," goes one justification. “He’s a vet who can teach the kids a lot! You can’t have a roster of nothing but kids!” (Actually we read that pretty often around here when "Old-Player-of-the-Moment" is under discussion.)

Fans are seduced into almost anything by winning. The same guy who said the rebuilding is over has written, “trades should be geared toward making the playoffs,and helping the win/loss record.”

2. Your point comes back to the issue of history and precedent. Much of the reason that folks would form a lynch mob if Sather merely alluded to an abandonment of the rebuilding is because history says the Rangers eat their young. We can believe that Sather would mean it if he said it, because the Rangers - Sather included - have done it before. Therefore his word alone would be worth acting on. The same cannot be said for this team’s record with preserving and developing its youth. This is the reason why posters would respond as you suggest and why they would be right in doing so: management’s actions says fans should react that way.

Quote:
Lets just hope it comes true.
Agreed. I imagine we all want to see what the best of the AHL kids can do in the NHL.

Closed Thread