HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

GDT: Washington @ St. Louis

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 06:35 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
GDT: Washington @ St. Louis

<a href="http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Blues/8CCBE70ACFA4DAA586256DC30014E33D?OpenDocument&Head line=Blues+shake+up+lines+in+search+for+scoring" rel="nofollow" target=_blank>STL Post-Dispatch: Blues shake up lines in search for scoring</a>
<a href="http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Blues/BD61C3F792C7FB2286256DC30014E2FF?OpenDocument&Head line=Up+next+Blues+vs.+Washington" rel="nofollow" target=_blank>STL Post-Dispatch: Up next Blues vs. Washington</a>
<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=231018019" rel="nofollow" target=_blank>ESPN.com Game Preview</a>
<a href="" rel="nofollow" target=_blank></a>

I looked on the Washington Posts' site for a story related to the game, but didn't find one.

Here are the new Blues' lines:
Tkachuk Cajanek Demitra
Sejan Weight Rycroft
Drake Mayers Heerema
Danton R. Johnson Low

The Blues' defenseman playing tonight will be:
Pronger
Jackman
Baron
Finley
Backman
Brismanis

As far as I know, Ogood will be starting. Things could be ugly with the Blues having to dress their 10th and 11th dmen on the depth chart because of injuries to 5 defensemen (3 of which are in the top 5). Good thing the Caps played last night...

Old
10-18-2003, 06:41 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Pronger and Jackman could both see 30 minutes of icetime, depending on the game.

I'd hate to see Jagr out there against some of those d-man.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:42 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby
Pronger and Jackman could both see 30 minutes of icetime, depending on the game.
I don't think there's any question about that... though, Baron will surely get a number of minutes because of Q's obsession with playing mediocre vets. Pronger will get Mac's PP time and Jackman will get Prongs' PP time.

Quote:
:: shudders ::

Don't remind me.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:31 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

vCash: 250
Somehow, I wouldn't worry about Jagr. It looked like he was in a shouting match with Butch Cassidy, the Caps' coach, on the bench last night in Dallas.

Things are not so well with the Caps. If I had to guess, I'd say the Blues win by 3, unfortunately (if you're a suffering Caps' fan, like me).

Drag about MacInnis, btw. I like watching him play. Hope he recovers soon.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Who's Rycroft?

Anyhow, Jagr is in a major funk right now, he was completely invisable vs the Stars and even got benched.

Watch for Zubrus and Lang though, they seem to make the most noise.

Easy Blues win here, Caps play unmotivated *again* and will look tired for most of the game. Blues have learned how to deal with core players going down as well.

Blues 5 - 1 Caps

Tkachuk and Mellanby with a huge game.. Caps record below 20 shots.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

I dunno, I didn't think the Cap's played that badly last night, outside of Jagr and Kolzig (admittedly, two HUGE pieces of the team). They out-shot Dallas by a few.

Agreed on Lang and Zubrus, they've been the only consistent O the Caps have been able to generate.

Nice play by Ott to draw the penalty on Gonchar, as well.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby

You don't have to worry--Jagr probably won't get more than 16 or 17 minutes tonight.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Heh.. Ott is so fun to watch if he's on your side.. he registered his 3rd fight of the season as well if I'm not mistaken.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:14 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Who's Rycroft?

Anyhow, Jagr is in a major funk right now, he was completely invisable vs the Stars and even got benched.

Easy Blues win here, Caps play unmotivated *again* and will look tired for most of the game. Blues have learned how to deal with core players going down as well.

Blues 5 - 1 Caps

Mark Rycroft is a was a pretty highly rated Blues prospect a couple years ago but after a short stint w/ the Blues in early 01-02 he's game dropped dramatically. I thought he was done for, but he had an amazing camp and played himself onto the team. He really isn't scoring line player but has done okay w/ Demitra and Tkachuk in the 1st three games.

FYI.. Mellanby is injured right now.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I dunno, I didn't think the Cap's played that badly last night, outside of Jagr and Kolzig (admittedly, two HUGE pieces of the team). They out-shot Dallas by a few.

Agreed on Lang and Zubrus, they've been the only consistent O the Caps have been able to generate.

Jagr is apparantly fueding with Cassidy over his ice time or his effort or something. My guess is that it has more to do with Cassidy putting is position as "go to guy" up for grabs the player/players that are delivering . Right now its not Jagr. Jagr is not used to having to prove himself.
Kolzig historically can be rusty after a layoff. Between not playing on Tuesday and the team not playing again til Friday he had a long stretch between games. I don't think Kolzig will be weak tonight.
Lang is hitting on all cylinders and is taking the opening that Cassidy and Jagr have given him. Zubrus has been effective in opening up space on the ice for Lang, but has not closed the deal for a goal yet. Both Grier and Semin have played the other spot on that line and have looked great.
Lang is not the only consistant source of offense for the Caps as Bondra has been on his game all season. He is clearly held down 5 on 5 by playing with Halpern and Konowalchuk on the checking line. He is getting chances and has been a dominant force on the power play and had another 3 quality shots last night. I have to wonder how much longer Cassidy will go with this Bondra on the checking line. Halpern and Kono have played much better with Grier than not. Semin seems to be playing well with Lang. That opens up an interesting opportunity. Jagr apparantly doesn't want to play with Bondra. But with Jagr yapping at the coach, I see an opportunity to put Bondra on the ice with Jagr and force Jagr's hand. Either he keeps up with the energetic Bondra and Gordon and his play improves or he doesn't and Bondra makes him look bad.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:32 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Blues 5 - 1 Caps

Pretty good prediction... Blues should have had the 5th goal a number of times. Caps only had 14 (I think) SOG's. Tkachuk was a monster.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Pretty good prediction... Blues should have had the 5th goal a number of times. Caps only had 14 (I think) SOG's. Tkachuk was a monster.
Keith is strong on his skates, so hard to contain. I could see Tkachuk scoring 50 this season rather easily and take the Richards. He looks really focused and I feel that when Tkachuk is on, he's the league's top powerforward, above Todd Bertuzzi and far above Bill Guerin. Too bad people claim him to be overrated judging on his paycheck while ignoring his actual game.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:02 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Who's Rycroft?

Blues 5 - 1 Caps

You hit the nail on the head dude, the caps looked pretty bad.Mellanby is out with cracked ribs though.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Credit where it's due. M=G was dead-on in his predictions.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Qubax

How did Sejna look in this game...?

I see he got two points...is he finding his way...or were they just lucky PP points...?

Old
10-19-2003, 10:48 AM
degroat*

If I were to confirm that he is "finding his way", I'd be implying that he wasn't playing well in the first 3 games of the season. That is not the case. The entire offense the first three games was not clicking and it was no fault of Sejna's.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:36 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax
How did Sejna look in this game...?

I see he got two points...is he finding his way...or were they just lucky PP points...?
The guy is everywhere, and puts in a solid effort every night. He is always in the mix, its just a matter of time before things bounce his way. That first goal will be all it takes.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Blueline29

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
If I were to confirm that he is "finding his way", I'd be implying that he wasn't playing well in the first 3 games of the season. That is not the case. The entire offense the first three games was not clicking and it was no fault of Sejna's.
I'd agree with this, but I also felt that Sejna was MUCH more noticeable Saturday night than he was in the previous games; he was much more an offensive catalyst than he had been. Part of it may have had something to do with his becoming more comfortable playing at this level or maybe becoming more comfortable playing with the the guys he's been playing with.... either way, he was very impressive that night. Hope he keeps it up!!

Closed Thread