HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jim Jackson doing another national game

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Jim Jackson doing another national game

...this time it doesn't involved the Flyers....he's doing the Colorado/Nashville game on OLN

for Jim Jackson

Old
12-20-2005, 10:59 PM
DeleteThisAccount

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
...this time it doesn't involved the Flyers....he's doing the Colorado/Nashville game on OLN

for Jim Jackson
Has he related it to the Flyers at all?

It's great that he's finally expanding his boundaries beyond Flyers hockey and minor league baseball.

Old
12-20-2005, 11:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

never knew he did minor league baseball

Old
12-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

While he's a huge homer, Jackson has always called a good game. It's good to see him getting wider exposure.

Old
12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
never knew he did minor league baseball
Trenton Thunders AA, I believe. It's what he was doing during the lockout. The Flyers site had this long, pointless article over the last year at some point with him talking about how he needs to keep a conversation with baseball, unlike in hockey where conversation is what you wanna stay away from.

Old
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
While he's a huge homer...
That's his job.

Old
12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Jackson is pretty good, but I think he needs just a bit more insight than knowing what every player's former teams are.

Old
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Jimmy is in Detroit tonight, calling the game between the Red Wings and Wild

Old
01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
pelts35.com

It wasn't a stretch that JJ would get some national games with OLN carrying the NHL.

At least Comcast hasn't sent Coatsey or Dorny to do color on national broadcasts.

Old
01-04-2006, 12:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
At least Comcast hasn't sent Coatsey or Dorny to do color on national broadcasts.

Yeah...we got lucky, especially since some games have been either called or had color done by one of the teams normal announcers.

Old
01-04-2006, 08:47 AM
Figgles*

JJ is one of the better guys they have used, some of the other guys they use are really boring to listen to and it ruins the game.

Old
01-04-2006, 10:17 AM
pumpy tudors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgles
JJ is one of the better guys they have used, some of the other guys they use are really boring to listen to and it ruins the game.
Personally, I don't find him to be that good. Coatsy and he could move on down the road and I wouldn't shed a tear. Dorny, on the other hand, I love. Nothing like some Orange & Black Dornyvision!

Old
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
GameFace247SON
@NHLonICE

Send a message via AIM to GameFace247SON
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpy tudors
Personally, I don't find him to be that good. Coatsy and he could move on down the road and I wouldn't shed a tear. Dorny, on the other hand, I love. Nothing like some Orange & Black Dornyvision!
Steve Coates is a good and great man.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
they all have ridiculous flyer-goggles on when they are watching the games... dorny is almost worthless at talking about anything that is remotely relevant, which i'm pretty sure is why they brought Coates into the booth.

Old
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
TheKingPin

They are supposed to be biased. Jim Jackson is the best they have...other than Doc Emerick...'Crosby with the game on his stick' best line i have ever heard.

Old
01-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Agreed. Jackson isn't bad, but he isn't that good either. You could better, you could do worse. Coates is useless. Dornhoefer is boring (aside from someone gets their head caved him, then he erupts with joy) but he's a fantastic analysist, so I like him.

Old
01-04-2006, 03:37 PM
GoGoHuselius

Send a message via ICQ to GoGoHuselius
what i find odd about philly broadcasts is the fact that the two most homer-ish of the trio are jackson and coates, neither of whom have any particular philly connection (other than coates' one year of ahl hockey in philly). dornhoefer played for the fylers for several years, and the only times, to me, that he seems to be a homer is when he is agreeing with the other two on something they bring up.

that being said, i think jackson is a quality broadcaster. this may seem silly, but what impresses me most about him is the fact that he really seems to make an honest effort to pronounce names correctly. he always seems to have them pretty much dead-on (especially lately) for european players, which is more than can be said for a lot of local (and even national) broadcasters (i'm looking in your direction, gary thorne).

so, i like jackson and think he deserves his shot at national games. i like dorny, too, most of the time. coates can take a hike, as far as i'm concerned. i do kind of like some of his coatesy's corners, though.

Old
01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoHuselius
i do kind of like some of his coatesy's corners, though.
The best one, IMO, was when he put scotch tape on Chris Therien's skates, as soon as Bundy stepped on the ice he fell on his ***.

Old
01-04-2006, 03:49 PM
GoGoHuselius

Send a message via ICQ to GoGoHuselius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
The best one, IMO, was when he put scotch tape on Chris Therien's skates, as soon as Bundy stepped on the ice he fell on his ***.
yeah, that was a good one... but i think you can probably catch Therien doing that fairly often without the aid of any sort of adhesive product, right? hehe.

Old
01-04-2006, 04:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love

Some would argue that didn't really happen, and that is actually how he skates

Old
01-04-2006, 05:04 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I don't have Center Ice and as such I don't get to hear other team's announcers very often.

But out of everybody I have heard, Jackson's up there as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a huge Emrick fan. After that? Thorne has a decent voice, but is horribly inconsistent. Rosen? Blah. Levy is awful. The worst was Kenny Albert, oh my god don't let that man near another hockey game as long as he lives, I'm begging you.

Jackson has a good voice. He's accurate. He not only gets players names right, but he does his homework, to a scary degree. He has a ready tidbit of info on seemingly every player on each team. He has his own style, and while he can overuse some expressions, he generally keeps it toned down and varied.

I also find him to be much less of a homer than others do. He is generally ready to try to tone down his two unabashed co-horts in the booth when they go off the deep end, which is usually several times a game.

Dorny, ugh. I just can't get into Dorny. I have a problem with stammering canadian accents (sorry guys). I find Brian Propp unlistenable on the radio for the same reason.

Coates, I'd actually like to see him do some national work. It would prevent him from his fatal flaw - constant complaining about bad/biased officiating.

If you take that away from him - the *****ing and moaning about penalties, Coates is actually pretty good. He's engaging, has a good voice, a sense of humor, and he can be very insightful at times. He's particularly good at pointing out small things that most fans would never ever see, particularly those who don't get to play the game themselves.

Anyway, that's my two cents on it.

Old
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Some would argue that didn't really happen, and that is actually how he skates
What's there to argue? That is how he skates.

Closed Thread