HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Surprise/ Disappointment of the team so far this season?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
g52*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to g52*
Biggest Surprise/ Disappointment of the team so far this season?

Ill start.

Biggest Surprise: Petr Prucha
Biggest Disappointment: Steve Rucchin

Old
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Levitate

honestly my biggest dissapointment would probably be nieminen. i figured he'd bring a gritty, agitating style mixed with some offense. but instead he's struggled to not take penalties and has been in and out of the lineup, and not always playing with the grit i expected

surprise? yeah, probably prucha. i certainly didn't expect him to be the goalscorer he has been

Old
01-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Synergy27

The entire team has been a pleasant surprise honestly. The only thing I am even remotely disappointed about is the fact that it looks like we won't be drafting Phil Kessel.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Surprises: Overall team effort, Prucha, Ward, Moore, Weekes, Hollweg, Straka

Disappointments: Nylander, Tyutin (at times), Niemo, Roszival (saw it coming though), Hossa

Old
01-04-2006, 07:11 PM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
how is nobody suprised with henke...? or maybe we dont even need to write it lol...

Old
01-04-2006, 07:16 PM
filthy#20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
honestly my biggest dissapointment would probably be nieminen. i figured he'd bring a gritty, agitating style mixed with some offense. but instead he's struggled to not take penalties and has been in and out of the lineup, and not always playing with the grit i expected

surprise? yeah, probably prucha. i certainly didn't expect him to be the goalscorer he has been
id agree with niemo....i really like him as a player and if we r a chance for the playoffs then he would b of good use to us.

but too many bad penalties and inconsistent play.

as for surprises...henke and prucha for me...i had a good feeling coming into the season that lundqvist would be good due to his play both in sweden and in international competition but certainly didnt expect prucha to provide the offense he has.

the biggiest surprise has finally been our special teams espec our penalty killing....really rapt that renney has improved that area of our game...credit to the attitudes of our 3rd and 4th liners who have really bought into the system in place

Old
01-04-2006, 07:24 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
how is nobody suprised with henke...? or maybe we dont even need to write it lol...
Many of us knew he was going to be solid, albeit not THIS good THIS quickly. Although he's a rookie, we have to remember he played outstanding the past few years as a proffessional in the SEL, specifically last year as the best goalie in a league which might have been the most competitive in the world. He also played solidly in the Worlds.

My surprise has got to be Renney. I thought coming in he'd be almost an amateur coach, with Jagr and Co running circles around him. Very nice surprise. Prucha is a close runner up.

Disappointment of the year has to be Ruccin Niemonen. Other guys havn't been playing up to their levels, but I was never expecting too much from them in the first place. Ruccin was said to be a solid 2nd liner who can score. He's had a few games wheres hes scored(excellent deflections) but aside from that he's been a letdown. And other posters have already explained the disappointment in Niemo.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Edge

Surprises:

Lundqvist and Prucha - didn't expect either to be this good, this soon.

Renney - Wasn't sure he'd get the team to buy into his style.

Sather - Thought for sure he'd do one "oh no" trade by now.

Betts - Has stayed healthy so far.

Ward - Nothing amazing, but better than I expected.

Poti - playing better defense than I expected

Disappointments:

Tyutin - Looks more alseep than I've ever seen him.

Kondratiev - see above.

Poti - providing less offense than I expected.

Straka - Expected more goals.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Surprises: Lundqvist no doubt. Prucha, not only being a goal scorer, but being able to handle the pace and physicality of the NHL. Hollweg has been a huge surprise. I thought this kid wouldn't come up for 2-3 years, and look what he's doing. His ability to skate as well as play rough is a surprise too. My biggest dissapointment is what many of you would guess...lack of physicality and excitement. I love winning even if we are boring at times, but I find myself yawning and not into games all that often very unlike the old times. That's my biggest dissapointment

Old
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
FLYLine24*

Suprises: Hank, Prucha, Ward, Strudwick (thought he was going be useless), Purinton (didn't think he was going to be nice enough to get himself kicked off the team to the minors)
Dissapointments: Rucchin (Age has made him a average faceoff taker), Nylander (lack of heart), Nieminen (doesnt play like he did on the flames), Poti (starting to turn it around though)

Old
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Edge

Unfortunatly I can't list Nylander or Rucchin as disappointments, because I wasn't crazy about them before the season started.

My problem with Nylander was the length of the contract (still have one or two years of this "joy" left).

Rucchin was someone who I tried in vain to tell people wasn't the player anymore they thought he was getting. Finally I just gave up, sadly the season he is having doesn't really come as a suprise to me at this point in his career.

Old
01-04-2006, 08:26 PM
young lion

Send a message via AIM to young lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Unfortunatly I can't list Nylander or Rucchin as disappointments, because I wasn't crazy about them before the season started.

My problem with Nylander was the length of the contract (still have one or two years of this "joy" left).

Rucchin was someone who I tried in vain to tell people wasn't the player anymore they thought he was getting. Finally I just gave up, sadly the season he is having doesn't really come as a suprise to me at this point in his career.
I agree about Rucchin and Nylander

Big suprise: Lundquist
Dissapointment: losing Lundmark so early in the season, I thought it was gonna be his year

Old
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

I'll go with Edge, the biggest surprise to me is Renney and the outstanding job he has done...Playerwise, I xpected Lundqvist to be a stud, but didn't think Prucha would be that good or contribute that much so fast....And while I expected Betts to be a solid contributor from the start, I expected JASON WARD to be nothing but trash...

So, Surprises: Prucha, Ward and Renney

As for disappointments, they aren't as glaring but Villie Niemenin has been a far cry from the player I saw in the last Stanley Cup finals

And I at least expected Hossa to score one goal in his last 20 games instead of zero....

Old
01-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

I remember those days.....It wasn't that we(I) wasn't listening to you, it was that I was hoping the Rangers would use him as the player we both thought he might be---a third liner...It's the Rangers that weren't listening...

Old
01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
I remember those days.....It wasn't that we(I) wasn't listening to you, it was that I was hoping the Rangers would use him as the player we both thought he might be---a third liner...It's the Rangers that weren't listening...
Betts is a better defensive third line center, and Moore is an energy fourth line center, who can do something Rucchin can no longer do - skate. So Renney has to play him as a 2nd line center, which he is no longer suited to play. I'm surprised at Prucha's output, and Renney's overall command as head coach. Dissappointments....that Poti is still on this team. I still think he handles the puck horribly, and, for a supposed offensive defenseman, he is just that...offensive.

Quote:
I hated that contract when it was announced.

Old
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Betts is a better defensive third line center, and Moore is an energy fourth line center, who can do something Rucchin can no longer do - skate. So Renney has to play him as a 2nd line center, which he is no longer suited to play. I'm surprised at Prucha's output, and Renney's overall command as head coach. Dissappointments....that Poti is still on this team. I still think he handles the puck horribly, and, for a supposed offensive defenseman, he is just that...offensive.

I really consider Rucchin and Hossa as useless. Nylander should and could be gone, same with Poti and Roszival. That's 5 players. Instead of these old wastebags, we could be seeing: Immonen, Dawes, Liffiton, Staal, Pock, Kondratiev, Lampman, Weller, Orr, and more of Hollweg-Ortmeyer.

Old
01-04-2006, 10:10 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Sather - Thought for sure he'd do one "oh no" trade by now.
If I wake up tomorrow and Mogilny is a Ranger, I'm blaming you.

Surprises: Prucha, Lundqvist, Betts, Ward, Strudwick

Dissappointments: Niemenin, Rucchin, Tyutin (at times)

Kondratiev has been on-and-off with me. He's had his fair share of bonehead plays, but he's also shown the ability to be a solid defenseman. I'm thinking he'll figure it out sooner or later.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk

Thing is, I didn't then and don't know particularly think this team needs a 34 year old checking center. I mean I could understand maybe a guy who could take some second line minutes, but I just don't really see where Rucchin fits into the picture.

As a second line center he can't really produce and as a bottom 6 center I think Moore and Betts bring a dimension to the table that he doesn't.

Granted the Rangers had a lot of mystery going into the season, but I just didn't see the point really. I could understand Nylander OR Rucchin, but I never quite understood both.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:36 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by frohli44
following him over the lockout, I expected Henrik to be a great player. it's a suprise how well he has played, but prucha suprises me the most. dissapointments have been rucchin and sometimes nylander.

Old
01-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

surprise:prucha

disappointment:hossa

Old
01-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Choice

I have a hard time picking a disapointment on this team, considering what my expectations were. I'd have to go with Nieminen though, I was expecting the guy from Calgary's cup run. But whatever, he's a 4th liner and we have plenty of little pests.

Hossa I expected to be a little better, especially after he scored in the home opener. But I wasn't expecting him to light the world on fire anyway.

Rucchin is 35 years old, what could you have legitimately expected. We all knew he'd just be warming the spot for Immonen or whoever the center of the future is.

Tyutin I did have high expectations for that he hasn't lived up to, but the guy is only 22. With the nuances of his position you've gotta allow a learning curve.

Surprises, aside from the whole team would have to be Prucha. And i thought Henrik would be good, but not this good.

Old
01-05-2006, 04:43 AM
Pogo

How can anyone have Straka on "disapointed"? I honestly thought the only numbers he would have this year are game lost to injury. I'm amazed his brittle body has taken this much and I also credit him with a few of Jagr's goals, if not for assists then just the mental boost Jagz gets when playing with him.

Old
01-05-2006, 07:34 AM
True Blue

Biggest surprises: Prucha, Renney & Ward (although, in fairness, whereas the Habs fans thought of him as no more than a 4th liner, it turns out that he is no more than a 3rd liner).
Biggest disappointments: Neimo (unless all of his games from here-on-in are like his last) & Tyutin (although he has shown signs of turning his season around).

Old
01-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Fletch

Biggest surprise...

Petr Prucha - didn't know what to expect, and his goal output thus far has already exceeded my expectations.

Honorary mention: Jagr. Sounds weird, but he is a surprise.

Biggest disappointment: Nylander. Was going to say Rucchin, but it's not his fault this team doesn't have a second line centerman and he's it.

Honorary mention: Rozsival. I actually liked his signing and thought he was better both defensively and offensively.

From the mouth of Dave Maloney: Biggest surprise: Prucha, Malik and Rozsival. Thought that was funny.

Old
01-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas

Yes, and that all has become obvious...and since Rucchin is on a one-year contract, no big deal....He should be phased out or dealt...Still, coming into the season there were still big questions regarding Bett's shoulder and what Moore/Immonen could contribute....Bett's has proven durable and and while I like Moore and he does have energy and legs, his lack of production almost rivals Hossa.....And Renney has to play Rucchin at 2nd C because they have nobody else near qualified right now...The onus falls on mangement for that,,,,

Closed Thread