HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Surprise/ Disappointment of the team so far this season?

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Thing is, I didn't then and don't know particularly think this team needs a 34 year old checking center. I mean I could understand maybe a guy who could take some second line minutes, but I just don't really see where Rucchin fits into the picture.

As a second line center he can't really produce and as a bottom 6 center I think Moore and Betts bring a dimension to the table that he doesn't.

Granted the Rangers had a lot of mystery going into the season, but I just didn't see the point really. I could understand Nylander OR Rucchin, but I never quite understood both.
Can't say he was the player I would have dealt for either, I was just trying to find the best place for him...Face it, we don't have a 2nd C (even the 1st C is arguable) and anybody we put there or can put there right now is lacking....One of the holes on the team....Hopefully filled by Immonen/tradee/FA next year...

Old
01-05-2006, 09:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Biggest Surprise: Has to be Prucha. Honorable mentions to Strudwick and Malik.

Disappointment: For me, Kondratiev. He's been playing against men for the last two seasons yet looks lost and timid here. He was supposed to have an edge in his play but he doesn't. I don't see him playing with passion.

01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Fletch

Edge...

Rucchin does still play a smart game out there. I think if asked to be in a defensive role, he'd do it. I would also think that Moore-Rucchin-Ortmeyer is a bit better than Hollweg-Moore-Ortmeyer. I'd miss the energy, of course, but think Rucchin would be better in getting 12 minutes of ice time than Hollweg. Of course, long term, he really has no place with the team, as I'm struggling placing him in the short term.

Old
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Can't say he was the player I would have dealt for either, I was just trying to find the best place for him...Face it, we don't have a 2nd C (even the 1st C is arguable) and anybody we put there or can put there right now is lacking....One of the holes on the team....Hopefully filled by Immonen/tradee/FA next year...
I'm hoping the future #2 center on this team is either Dubinsky or Graham. (Actually, I'm hoping both develop so well that they become 1A and 1B.)

Old
01-05-2006, 09:37 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Biggest Surprises

Not looking directly at the Rangers, im the most suprised at the performance of the Rangers prospects that were drafted in 2005:

Marc Staal (D): 28GP / 7G / 23A / 30P / +5 / 33 PIM

Michael Sauer (D): 26GP / 5G / 15A / 20P / +10 / 34 PIM

Ryan Russel (C): 42GP / 23G / 26A / 49P / +9 / 19 PIM

Tom Pyatt: (C):29GP / 13G / 17A / 30P / +2 / 19 PIM

Marc-Andre Cliche (F): 36P / 19G / 28A / 47P / -8 / 31 PIM

Brodie Dupont (C): 39GP / 14G / 9A / 23P / -5 / 75 PIM

These efforts combined with the impressive play of the 2004 draft cclass (Dubinsky,Bahensky,Byers,Callahan,Ryan,Oliver,Paie ment,Korpikoski,Montoya) show that the rangers have a really bright future for many years to come

Old
01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Biggest Surprise: Has to be Prucha. Honorable mentions to Strudwick and Malik.

Disappointment: For me, Kondratiev. He's been playing against men for the last two seasons yet looks lost and timid here. He was supposed to have an edge in his play but he doesn't. I don't see him playing with passion.
Good call on Strudwick, I forgot about him....He has contributed everywhere--F, D, Locker-room while I was expecting him to be as useless as Brent Fedyk and Tim Sweeney...

Old
01-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Fletch

Strudwick has improved...

thought he had a slow start, very good and serviceable middle, but is reverting back in the last couple. Hopefully it's just a temporary brain fart - he's a likeable guy.

Old
01-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
thought he had a slow start, very good and serviceable middle, but is reverting back in the last couple. Hopefully it's just a temporary brain fart - he's a likeable guy.
Also gotta remeber he's a 4th liner and 6th D-man...Only on a few teams like the Rangers will he see the ice in OT like he dit the other night when he made a bad play...

Old
01-05-2006, 09:56 AM
JR#9*

biggest suprise---how could it not be Prucha...looks like we finally uncovered a diamond in the rough late in the draft

biggest disappointment---for me it has been Tyutin, not that he has been bad but I thought he'd be more assertive after getting his feet wet last yr with a solid showing at yrs end.Sometimes you have to remember he is a 22 yr old dman and learning the NHL will take some time but I am counting on this guy to develop into a rock on our blueline for a long time.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:10 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Biggest Surprises/Disappointments

I think so far the biggest disappointment for is the fact that Renney hasn't named Henrick the "Number 1" goalie. Alternating Henrick and Weekes has worked out so far and both had had the same amount of "bad" games but Henrick has come up big in more instances and has better stats.

Henrick "Bad" Games:
-Nov. 17 Vs. Carolina: 5 GA/ 82% SAV%
-Dec. 3 Vs. Washington: 5GA/ 76% SAV%
-Overall: 2.14 GAA/ 93% SAV%/ 1 SO/ 14W-5L-5OTL
Weekes "Bad" Games:
-Oct. 20 Vs. Islanders: 5GA/ 76% SAV%
-Dec. 26 Vs. Ottawa: 4GA/ 73% SAV%/ Pulled
-Plus numerous games where he let in 3 or 4 goals.
-Overall: 2.98 GAA/89% SAV%/ 0 SO/ 8W-7L-1OTL

Overall both have played alot better then epected but Henrick should get the start against teams like Philly and Otawa

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 01-05-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old
01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
ap215

Biggest Suprise-The entire team's chemistry and how they're gelling together as a team and winning games for us,Lundqvist,Prucha,Penalty Killing

Old
01-05-2006, 11:24 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap215
Biggest Suprise-The entire team's chemistry and how they're gelling together as a team and winning games for us,Lundqvist,Prucha,Penalty Killing

Biggest disappointment of the team - Poti being on the ice for more goals against than he scored. Lack of production from the dman, especially on the PP.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Fletch

it's a team game, JOrt...

he's been on the ice for 7 more goals for at even strength than against. It's tough for a d-man to score more goals than for how many he's on the ice, considering in a given year he can be on the ice for between 40 and 60 goals.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
eco's bones

On players--the biggest pleasant surprise is Prucha. I didn't expect him to be scoring many goals. At least according to Rodent he wasn't a good finisher (that was from comments prior to this season). Lundqvist I thought could make the team but I wasn't expecting him to be their best goalie 2 weeks into the season.

Of those I haven't been that happy with are Nieminen who I expected a lot of grit and a lot of agitating something like Barnaby without as many fights.
Hossa who has provided so little offense.

I agree Rucchin is miscast as a second line center. Nylander has been up and down. He has a lot of quirks.

The team as a whole. I'm very surprised by their record. I was expecting to be pummeled on a regular basis. I certainly didn't expect playoff contention.
The defense as a whole. I mean--who are these blueliners?--and they sure don't look pretty out there most nights but the results are what counts.
The improved penalty killing. Moore-Orts. Betts-Ward deserve a lot of credit for this along with the above mentioned D and the goaltending.
The coaching staff. Renney and company seem to have their ***** together.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:42 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Biggest disappointment of the team - Poti being on the ice for more goals against than he scored.
How can something that's not surprising be dissapointing?

Old
01-05-2006, 11:44 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
How can something that's not surprising be dissapointing?

with the skill this guy has, u would think our PP would be good, but even when he is close he misses the net, no aim what so ever.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
with the skill this guy has, u would think our PP would be good, but even when he is close he misses the net, no aim what so ever.
Again, how is this surprising?

Old
01-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Choice

Its looking like Tyutin has the best point shot on the team

Old
01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Again, how is this surprising?
Not necessarily surprising, but disappointing nonetheless.

Old
01-05-2006, 12:08 PM
pld459666

for me

the biggest surprise has been Jagr.

Knowing full well what he can do when motivated, I didn't think that he had the cast needed to be a scoring leader this deep into the season.

Very impressive.

I've been bible thumping for 2 years regarding Lundqvist and while yes I was lucky, I'm not surprised to see him play this well this early. He showed me a great deal while I was following him his 2nd year with Frolunda and pretty much taking over that 2nd year. He split time both his first 2 seasons Petter Ronnquist and Frederik Norrena.

I am disappointed in Poti, the reduction on the obstruction calls made me believe that we would see Poti skate with the puck a bit more than he has. Is he gun shy in that respect? Not sure. Rozsival has been a disappointment as well. I expected to see a bit more offence from him as well as smarter decisions. He's already surpassed his career high in PIM's.

I also thought that we'd get 20-30 goals from Straka if he could stay healthy. Currently he's on pace for 16 goals, but on the bright side of that he's averaging a point a game and that's still a damn good season.

Forgot to mention, Petr Prucha has been a pleasant surprise and is now my favorite Ranger and when I'm at the garden next Thursday I will be hopefully getting my Prucha Jersey

Old
01-05-2006, 12:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice
Its looking like Tyutin has the best point shot on the team
Yes and Drats too on those few chances when he's had an opportunity to play the PP. Honestly, I'm a little surprised at the number of people who've listed these two as disappointments. I agree that Tyutin started out at less than the level that I'd expected, but I think he's been one of the team's better players over the last 10-15 games.

As for Max, he's showing the flashes of up and down that I expect from a rookie with what I perceive to be really good potential. I can live with the bonehead plays in exchange for the positives I see. That wouldn't be true 3 years from now, but it certainly is today. And, as I'm sure SoS would be glad to tell everyone, that's how rebuilding is supposed to go.

Old
01-05-2006, 12:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Disappointment-Tom Poti.It's a contract year and has played like crap

Old
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Disappointment-Tom Poti.It's a contract year and has played like crap
I don't think this is true in the least.

Biggest Surprise: Prucha, Jagr, Malik, entire 3rd and 4th lines.

Biggest Dissapointment: Hossa, Lundmark (when here), and the acquisitions of Federov and Taffe.

I can't really say anyone is a huge dissapointment. I'm not a fan of Roszival at all, but I can't say he hasn't been adequate. Also same could be said of Nylander and Rucchin. I think both guys are useful to us, but their twilight with the team is quickly approaching.

Old
01-05-2006, 12:48 PM
BlackRanger

suprise:10 games over .500, battle for division title & playoff spot (so far),PK,overall health(knock on wood)

dissappointment:those mentioned above,PP, me not living in NY to see games live

Old
01-05-2006, 01:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRanger
suprise:10 games over .500, battle for division title & playoff spot (so far),PK,overall health(knock on wood)

dissappointment:those mentioned above,PP, me not living in NY to see games live

Dissappointment: how when our team gets pushed around, only Strudwick and Hollweg protect our team, Orr would if Renney would find a spot for him.

Closed Thread