HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Draft 2016

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2016, 01:49 AM
  #1
alko
Registered User
 
alko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
KHL Draft 2016

Any link?

I browsed the khl.ru, but couldn't find any link.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2016, 03:14 AM
  #2
ozo
Registered User
 
ozo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Latvia
Posts: 3,437
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
Any link?

I browsed the khl.ru, but couldn't find any link.
Somehow KHL draft is getting less and less advertized, here's the draft Eliteprospects - link

__________________
Heys, its coulds bes worses!
ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2016, 07:26 AM
  #4
Finnpin
"internet"
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,700
vCash: 500
KHL Draft. It's a great laugh though.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2016, 01:41 PM
  #5
kabidjan18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
It's basically as if they have no scouts for this "draft" they just choose some random local eastern European kids. The draft might actually be useful and the KHL more competitive if the picks weren't such unscouted jokes. The kids they're picking, the point of a draft is to protect a player but with the players they're drafting there's nothing to protect.

kabidjan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2016, 03:13 PM
  #6
metmag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabidjan18 View Post
It's basically as if they have no scouts for this "draft" they just choose some random local eastern European kids. The draft might actually be useful and the KHL more competitive if the picks weren't such unscouted jokes. The kids they're picking, the point of a draft is to protect a player but with the players they're drafting there's nothing to protect.
I believe that you misunderstand the the relevant factors. The draft eligible players that you would call 'scouted', actually are, and are currently enrolled in KHL hockey systems. As such, their player rights are already claimed and they are not available for the draft. Protected as you put it.

This is why you see 'unscouted' players from third party Russian schools. The 23 year old Finnish and Swedish players are chosen to secure their rights for the case that they may not secure a spot on the NHL roster and do not wish to ride the bus in the minors. Or, they could simply want to use the KHL as a gateway into the NHL.

There isn't as much pomp as you are used to as top talent is not present, however the draft plays a more nuanced role for the K.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2016, 03:18 PM
  #7
Milos Krasic
Ballin' in Poland
 
Milos Krasic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Srbija
Country: Serbia
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Sundqvist isn't part of the Pens roster for their playoff run.

I wonder how much of a chance there is he comes to Avangard.

Milos Krasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2016, 10:13 PM
  #8
kabidjan18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
I believe that you misunderstand the the relevant factors. The draft eligible players that you would call 'scouted', actually are, and are currently enrolled in KHL hockey systems. As such, their player rights are already claimed and they are not available for the draft. Protected as you put it.

This is why you see 'unscouted' players from third party Russian schools. The 23 year old Finnish and Swedish players are chosen to secure their rights for the case that they may not secure a spot on the NHL roster and do not wish to ride the bus in the minors. Or, they could simply want to use the KHL as a gateway into the NHL.

There isn't as much pomp as you are used to as top talent is not present, however the draft plays a more nuanced role for the K.
If a Russian were to give me this speech I might have more patience, but you claim to be Canadian and yet are randomly assuming that I don't know how the KHL draft works. In short I know everything you just wrote and more and am pretty offended by being given a short summary of what is probably common knowledge for anyone even on this KHL forum.

The NHL has scouts both for teams and for the central service searching every nook and cranny to find the best possible players. You while being on your pedestal of presuming ignorance do not demonstrate an understanding for the KHL draft, which is meant to protect players, supposedly the best players, outside of the Russian hockey academies run by each club. Instead, what takes place is a clown show where countries generally pick either the best Eastern European prospects or the best prospects from the countries they are based in.

There have been 1,230 players selected in the KHL draft. More Kazakhs have been picked in the draft than all the German speaking countries put together. Nominally an equal number of Ukranians have been picked as Germans, but in reality one German was also Ukranian, another was Latvian, and the third was (like many other picks) merely poached off the NHL draft Euro Skaters list. All the three Danes picked were just picked from the NHL draft euro futures list as well as a majority of the Swiss players. Never has an Austrian, French, Italian, or Hungarian player been chosen and only one Norwegian (who was NHL drafted) has been chosen as well. As a result, most players who are KHL drafted never make the league, most players who are drafted from non-eastern European countries are no-shows (because they were just picked off the NHL list) while many players from many (non-eastern European) leagues who would love to play in the KHL never get the chance. Unlike the NHL which doesn't have academy-protected players, the KHL teams truly have a chance to draft players missed by the NHL scouting process but instead they always are hampered by basically a lack of any quality scouting and an incredible sense of homerism and as such the KHL draft is meaningless.

For example (and Belarus is one of the better examples), of the 23 (not counting this year) Belorussians drafted, 5 have played in the KHL, and only 1 currently plays in the KHL. The CHL import draft which involves no scouts, is done completely online and is nicknamed the annual "crapshoot" has an infinitely better record than that. Delving into the 5 players who have played in the KHL, 4 of them had 2 career points each, combining for 8 points in 138 games. The other player, Artyom Demkov, has had 23 points in 85 games. This combines for 31 points in 223 games among 23 players (less than 10 games per player, barely over 1 point per player). The KHL draft is so limited in it's score of players it pools from it basically serves no purpose and reports have stated that after this year the draft is to be scrapped because it basically serves no purpose.

I personally believe the KHL draft could have been more successful if teams had employed more skilled and less partial scouts (if at all) or even just looked at numbers on spreadsheets and picked top players passed up by the CHL Import process (and now the whole USHL college deal) as opposed to merely picking the biggest fish from the local tiny pond.

kabidjan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2016, 05:30 PM
  #9
metmag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabidjan18 View Post
If a Russian were to give me this speech I might have more patience, but you claim to be Canadian and yet are randomly assuming that I don't know how the KHL draft works. In short I know everything you just wrote and more and am pretty offended by being given a short summary of what is probably common knowledge for anyone even on this KHL forum.

The NHL has scouts both for teams and for the central service searching every nook and cranny to find the best possible players. You while being on your pedestal of presuming ignorance do not demonstrate an understanding for the KHL draft, which is meant to protect players, supposedly the best players, outside of the Russian hockey academies run by each club. Instead, what takes place is a clown show where countries generally pick either the best Eastern European prospects or the best prospects from the countries they are based in.

There have been 1,230 players selected in the KHL draft. More Kazakhs have been picked in the draft than all the German speaking countries put together. Nominally an equal number of Ukranians have been picked as Germans, but in reality one German was also Ukranian, another was Latvian, and the third was (like many other picks) merely poached off the NHL draft Euro Skaters list. All the three Danes picked were just picked from the NHL draft euro futures list as well as a majority of the Swiss players. Never has an Austrian, French, Italian, or Hungarian player been chosen and only one Norwegian (who was NHL drafted) has been chosen as well. As a result, most players who are KHL drafted never make the league, most players who are drafted from non-eastern European countries are no-shows (because they were just picked off the NHL list) while many players from many (non-eastern European) leagues who would love to play in the KHL never get the chance. Unlike the NHL which doesn't have academy-protected players, the KHL teams truly have a chance to draft players missed by the NHL scouting process but instead they always are hampered by basically a lack of any quality scouting and an incredible sense of homerism and as such the KHL draft is meaningless.

For example (and Belarus is one of the better examples), of the 23 (not counting this year) Belorussians drafted, 5 have played in the KHL, and only 1 currently plays in the KHL. The CHL import draft which involves no scouts, is done completely online and is nicknamed the annual "crapshoot" has an infinitely better record than that. Delving into the 5 players who have played in the KHL, 4 of them had 2 career points each, combining for 8 points in 138 games. The other player, Artyom Demkov, has had 23 points in 85 games. This combines for 31 points in 223 games among 23 players (less than 10 games per player, barely over 1 point per player). The KHL draft is so limited in it's score of players it pools from it basically serves no purpose and reports have stated that after this year the draft is to be scrapped because it basically serves no purpose.

I personally believe the KHL draft could have been more successful if teams had employed more skilled and less partial scouts (if at all) or even just looked at numbers on spreadsheets and picked top players passed up by the CHL Import process (and now the whole USHL college deal) as opposed to merely picking the biggest fish from the local tiny pond.
I responded to the content of your post and brought up points - i.e. why it is not about the scouting, which you have not addressed seemingly.

The dynamics of the draft are changing, but it is in it's very early stages and while you may have closely studied this year's draft, it is a moot point for you to boast of such a deep understanding.

Among your unfounded claims that I 'do not demonstrate an understanding of the KHL draft', it occurs to me that you want to talk about statistics.

It frankly doesn't matter how many Ukrainians, Germans, or Kazakhs were drafted. Teams draft based on which players they think they can attract, or which players rights can earn them cash. It is similar as in North America where certain players may be avoided while others more liberally drafted.

So, if you wish we can proceed to speak on the substance.

I am interested in the reports you mention. Why don't you post a link to them as such news would actually add to the KHL draft discussion.

I think you have it completely wrong if you think that the goal should be to attract 17 yr old Ontario boys that have been/are about to be passed up by all the North American club systems and might only play a couple of years of the O before quitting hockey. I certainly don't think that it is feasible to drag them over to Siberia as a last ditch effort to become new prospects.

"the KHL teams truly have a chance to draft players missed by the NHL scouting process" --- you seriously believe it is a good idea for a league aspiring to be among the top (2nd) to feed off of the scraps of left over USHL players? They would indeed rather draft Belorussians or Kazakhs, that will be around, or the 22 year old Finn who might be heading to the K soon.
It is still a young drafting system and much of how it plays out remains to be seen.


Last edited by Killion: 05-30-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: first bit?... not really reqd metmag...
metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 09:19 AM
  #10
hockey2015
Registered User
 
hockey2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Draft KHL 2017 when ?

hockey2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 10:26 AM
  #11
JJTT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 6,267
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2015 View Post
Draft KHL 2017 when ?
I don't think they are doing that anymore.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/k...ent-struggles/

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 03:36 PM
  #12
joshyedge
Registered User
 
joshyedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: st louis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
Was it ever relevant to be honest?

joshyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2017, 10:56 PM
  #13
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies
 
Acallabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near an airfield
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 9,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshyedge View Post
Was it ever relevant to be honest?
Not very much, but nor entirely pointless. For example, in 2011 draft, Kuznya picked Slepyshev, Zhafyarov, Skutar, Lyubuskin and Shabunov. 4 of 5 went on to be KHL players, and 3 of 5 played for a significant time in Novokuznetsk, none being a Novokuznetsk product.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.