HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Colorado@Edmonton--8PM MST UPN20/CBC

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Colorado@Edmonton--8PM MST UPN20/CBC

Phil Sauve will make his first NHL start according to the Rocky Mountain News. Svatos is out for the game. Worrell and Skoula are listed as doubtful.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:28 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Not that I don't believe in Sauve...but the boys need to play some tight "D" tonight. You can bet Sauve will have some serious butterflies in his belly playing in his first NHL game that counts.

Even though they are doubtful, it's good to hear that Worrell & Skoula are close to returning. My guess is that they'll be back Tuesday against Boston.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Deader

it will be a long night for me,8.00 pm western time is in germany 4 am

Old
10-18-2003, 02:35 AM
syinura

tell me about it, i gotta wait till 3am here in the UK just to listen to the game, no ice hockey on TV yet!

Old
10-18-2003, 03:48 AM
Deader

in Germany you can watch 2 Games a week,if you have "Premiere",20 a month

Old
10-18-2003, 04:37 AM
RoyIsALegend*

I think that the fast-paced action on the Skyreach Centre ice will benefit us. Edmonton is used to playing a very high-tempo game with alot of odd-man rushes. I think this could be the first real 'shoot-out' style of a game this year, with both sides scoring goals.

Phillipe Sauve will need to be sharp as we're likely to penetrate an inexperienced Edmonton blue-line. The likes of Bergeron and Semenov may be shell-shocked if the Avalanche can initiate some offense quickly.

It should be a good game, none the less.

I'll predict 5-3 Avs.

Hejduk, Sakic, Kariya, Morris and McCormick score for the Avalanche while York, Torres and Brewer score for the Oilers.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Oiltalk

Any of your top six out with the flu tonight?

Old
10-18-2003, 06:07 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
I think that the fast-paced action on the Skyreach Centre ice will benefit us. Edmonton is used to playing a very high-tempo game with alot of odd-man rushes. I think this could be the first real 'shoot-out' style of a game this year, with both sides scoring goals.
Yep. This is going to be an exciting game. Hopefully little to no trapping.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:17 AM
syinura

Quote:
Any of your top six out with the flu tonight?
haha you wish!
only injures are to, Skoula, Worrel and Hinote is a question mark i think

Old
10-18-2003, 08:04 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansiu
haha you wish!
only injures are to, Skoula, Worrel and Hinote is a question mark i think
skoula and worrell are probably not going to play, hinote will play(he played last game)and svatos will not play for sure.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:56 AM
nathan

Svatos is out indefinitely...whatever that means.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Svatos is out indefinitely...whatever that means.
Which means there is no specific timetable for his return. It could be next game, it could be next season.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:20 AM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
Which means there is no specific timetable for his return. It could be next game, it could be next season.

At this stage in the season that's probably BS. The Avs have hid injuries carefully from their opponents for years.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Well I got to give credit to Granato on the placement of Sauve's first start. he gave Abby three games in a row, making it clear he is number one for now, and he gives Sauve a start on the road where there's less preasure. Lets just hope this potential wide open game doesn't shellshock Sauve. I doubt it will, from what I hear, he's one of those goalies that thrives under a lot of shots, kinda like Cujo and Hasek, not that he's as good as them or anything.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:55 PM
OYLer

The biggest injury on this night is to your team dignity. Because Forsberg dives, and dives, and dives again frivolously. Isn't this guy the ultimate SCUBA player; he Sucks-in even the dumbest of referees with his Silly Classless Unbelieveable Baffling of Officiating towards embarrassment. Can we please play Hockey not Shlockey where the referees play less of a role then the players?

Old
10-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Laperriere22*

1. Even though plenty of players do it, I think this is going to be a long season because apparently Forsberg is choosing to do it more often than he did last year.

2. I found it great that Oilers fans booed Forsberg every time he touched the puck after drawing a call on Reasoner in the 3rd.

3. I found it to be sweet revenge that Reasoner got the shortie that put the game out of reach. Karma is a beautiful thing sometimes.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I have to admit, right now Peter seems more interested in drawing penalties than playing hockey. That's really making me mad, though there was plenty of blame to throw around on this one.

Sauve was ordinary tonight. Not good, but not bad. He was left out to dry most of the night by his team.

Sakic AND Forsberg looked ridiculuous tonight. Every time either one got the puck on his stick he immediately lost in his skates or fell down. I don't ever remember the Avs committing so many turnovers in one game. The Oilers' speed made those mistakes costly. Morris once again played irresponsibly in his own end. Skoula is a moron.

Most disappointing was the special teams. Both the PK and PP units looked sloppy and unorganized. TWO SHORTHANDED GOALS is absolutely inexcusable. Especially to a team that has been struggling so mightily offensively as the Oilers.

This team playing as it is right now won't even make the playoffs. I know, I know, it's early in the season, but you'd think the veterans on this team would be playing with more urgency. That isn't the case so far. I am so utterly sick of the Avs starting out slow. Tony G should start benching players if they continue to mail ones in.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:06 AM
avfan#21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican
I have to admit, right now Peter seems more interested in drawing penalties than playing hockey. That's really making me mad, though there was plenty of blame to throw around on this one.

Sauve was ordinary tonight. Not good, but not bad. He was left out to dry most of the night by his team.

Sakic AND Forsberg looked ridiculuous tonight. Every time either one got the puck on his stick he immediately lost in his skates or fell down. I don't ever remember the Avs committing so many turnovers in one game. The Oilers' speed made those mistakes costly. Morris once again played irresponsibly in his own end. Skoula is a moron.

Most disappointing was the special teams. Both the PK and PP units looked sloppy and unorganized. TWO SHORTHANDED GOALS is absolutely inexcusable. Especially to a team that has been struggling so mightily offensively as the Oilers.

This team playing as it is right now won't even make the playoffs. I know, I know, it's early in the season, but you'd think the veterans on this team would be playing with more urgency. That isn't the case so far. I am so utterly sick of the Avs starting out slow. Tony G should start benching players if they continue to mail ones in.

I dont' blame the PK too much, your best PKer is supposed to be your goalie, and Sauve was one of if not the worst player on the ice tonite IMO. He doesn't look ready to me. Just terrible, the fact that the rest of the team plodded along like they had something better to do didn't help either.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:35 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
I don't think Granato will go to the "benching" players route. Tony is too much of a players coach and I get the feeling you will see similar games like this throughout the season.

Just a note from the game: DJ Smith was sent down to Hershey with Skoula's return.

This was just a bad game overall by the Avalanche. Forsberg should have been booed, he has not looked like the Hart Trophy winner and its hard to defend him against his critics with his early season play. Defensively the team was rather poor. Skoula continues to be Skoula, who is perhaps the most unemotional player in the NHL. I've defended him for years and I realize that he hasn't hit 24 yet, but eventually enough is enough. Either you are going to show some minute form of improvement or you are not.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:55 AM
sweetcad

vCash:
Well, it's like I said in another thread....I just hope they got that out of their system so we can get down to business.
It looked like the guys didn't take this team seriously. I have only been watching hockey since last season but one thing I have noticed with the Avs is they seem to get lazy when they play just a standard team. (From what I have read about the Oilers, they aren't one of the better teams.)
Am I the only one who thinks this??

Old
10-19-2003, 07:12 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcad
Well, it's like I said in another thread....I just hope they got that out of their system so we can get down to business.
It looked like the guys didn't take this team seriously. I have only been watching hockey since last season but one thing I have noticed with the Avs is they seem to get lazy when they play just a standard team. (From what I have read about the Oilers, they aren't one of the better teams.)
Am I the only one who thinks this??
Actually, the inconsistent effort of the Avalanche is something you can count on. The best effort they've ever put out over a season was 00-01 with Bourque. Even then, they wouldn't be confused with many hardworking teams. Every year, the Avs get lackadaiscal and get outworked. That's almost a scientific given any more. What remains to be seen this year is how well will the goaltenders save them when they do that. Roy got more points for his team when they played like that then any other team in recent memory.

And for the record, the Oilers are a pretty good team and they generally give the Avs a good game. Division rivals will do that.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:21 AM
avfan#21

what I've seen is them getting up for substandard teams and then choking to teams that can play with them. The two wins were against teams who couldn't match up even with intensity. The Blues and Oilers were more than up for them and outplayed them from the get go. I've said since 96 that if the Avs can match intensity there are few teams they will lose to. Their talent will simply overpower most teams. If you can't get up for the Oilers, a division rival or the Blues, a benchmark team, you don't don't deserve to win, and they didn't. Inconsistancy I can handle. Unapologetic lethargy is reprehensible and stinks of a lack of either leadership or character. In four games the one guy who has consistantly got up for games has been Paul Kariya. You can tell from the faceoff he's ready to play, can't say that for anyone else.

Btw as for Skoula, how about dealing him for say Grier or Sundstrom?

Old
10-19-2003, 07:31 AM
sweetcad

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
Actually, the inconsistent effort of the Avalanche is something you can count on. The best effort they've ever put out over a season was 00-01 with Bourque. Even then, they wouldn't be confused with many hardworking teams. Every year, the Avs get lackadaiscal and get outworked. That's almost a scientific given any more. What remains to be seen this year is how well will the goaltenders save them when they do that. Roy got more points for his team when they played like that then any other team in recent memory.

And for the record, the Oilers are a pretty good team and they generally give the Avs a good game. Division rivals will do that.
Thanks for the info.....God it's frustrating to watch them when they play like that. I would just love to walk down to the ice (and slip) and shake them a bit (or maybe turn them over my knee for a spanking) and say "WAKE UP, STOP ACTING LIKE LAZY LITTLE BOYS. PLAY YOUR BEST IN EVERY GAME AND IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO....GET OFF THE ICE!!!"

Ok.....I'm done now

Old
10-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Belgian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfan#21
Btw as for Skoula, how about dealing him for say Grier or Sundstrom?
I'd rather have a solid stay at home defender if we were to trade Skoula.

With Blake, Morris and Liles we should have enough puck movers at the blue line, and we could sure use another steady guy to clear the front of the net on the lower pairings.

I think the third and fourth line are gonna be OK. Not that I would dislike a trade for Grier or Sundstrom, but that (trading Skoula for an F) would mean that big Mac would be our #6 and Smith our #7 and I don't like that idea personally.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:39 AM
avfan#21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian Fan
I'd rather have a solid stay at home defender if we were to trade Skoula.

With Blake, Morris and Liles we should have enough puck movers at the blue line, and we could sure use another steady guy to clear the front of the net on the lower pairings.

I think the third and fourth line are gonna be OK. Not that I would dislike a trade for Grier or Sundstrom, but that (trading Skoula for an F) would mean that big Mac would be our #6 and Smith our #7 and I don't like that idea personally.
Denis Gauthier is the answer then. DO IT PIERRE!!

Closed Thread