HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Commodore clears waivers

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 04:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

vCash: 500
Commodore clears waivers

http://www.slam.ca/Slam031016/nhl_cal2-sun.html

I guess the Sabres don't have a need for a big, young, tough, right handed defenseman............

Old
10-16-2003, 05:11 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Wake up Darcy!

Old
10-16-2003, 06:25 AM
ttcminaker

No one took him either. We would have to keep him on the roster and he's not better then anyone we have now. I agree that we need a physical presence on the dline, but one much better then someone who can't make the Flames d. I watched them play the other night and Gauthier would be a nice fit. They look like they have a keeper in Leopold, very fast and good with the pick. Warrener looked terrible, I really wonder what has happened to him

Old
10-16-2003, 06:54 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
No one took him either. We would have to keep him on the roster and he's not better then anyone we have now
I'll take Commodore over Campbell at this point in time.

And I wouldn't mind at all if they lost Patrick or Fitzpatrick to add Commodore.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Kozak72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob

And I wouldn't mind at all if they lost Patrick or Fitzpatrick to add Commodore.
Lose Patrick -YES
Lose Fitzy - NO

Old
10-16-2003, 07:22 AM
ajsonor

Big Mike has a couple interesting things behind him. He's in his third organization already. He hasn't really accomplished anything after leaving college early. Maybe there is something that we don't know about him besides him being huge.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:41 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I don't think it's really a huge issue, but I think if just for the physical presence he would have been an upgrade (albeit small) over Fitzy.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:42 AM
the future

as a flames fan i ve watched him all camp and he really deserved to be here. the flames are stockpiled with defenseman and due to his 2 -way deal it made the most sense. management thought they might lose him and sutter probably would have been chastized. he certainly has stepped up his game and with that size and decent mobility, i'm very shocked nobody picked him up, but thankful.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:15 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker
Warrener looked terrible, I really wonder what has happened to him
I wonder if we had some inside knowledge prior to dealing him.

I also hope that everyone in this organization remembers how improved the Sabres were when a big, tough, physical RD was acquired in 1999 to improve a defense that didn't have enough toughness or RH D.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Takeo

Quote:

Agreed, especially with the latter point.

I know it's cliche, but Commodore has a much bigger upside than Fitzpatrick. Young, physical, RH, relatively inexpensive... We should've taken a chance on him IMO.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:29 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
Big Mike has a couple interesting things behind him. He's in his third organization already. He hasn't really accomplished anything after leaving college early. Maybe there is something that we don't know about him besides him being huge.
Yeah, that he's a total pylon. That's why he couldn't stick in New Jersey. Not sure if that was the only reason he didn't stick in Calgary, but I'm sure it was one of them.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:56 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
The way Fitzpatrick has been playing, no way he is gone.He is easily a 4/5 d-man now.He plays solid hockey and always knows how to break up the play.I can't remember how many times Fitzpatrick was alone on a 2 on 1 and always got the puck away.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:38 AM
the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveiglar
Yeah, that he's a total pylon. That's why he couldn't stick in New Jersey. Not sure if that was the only reason he didn't stick in Calgary, but I'm sure it was one of them.
well i don't know if youve seen him play this year, judging by those comments i'm guessing you haven't. many fans thought commodore was excellent and would be useful against teams with big forwards. again he was the most expendable, but i guarantee he's not a pylon and would be useful on 90 % of the teams out there

Old
10-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Kozak72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
The way Fitzpatrick has been playing, no way he is gone.He is easily a 4/5 d-man now.He plays solid hockey and always knows how to break up the play.I can't remember how many times Fitzpatrick was alone on a 2 on 1 and always got the puck away.
AMEN!! Someone else that realizes how consistent this guy has been.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Prospect Prophet

By watching the Oilers game tongight there is no way we need a tough, physical D-man.....LMAO!!!!!

Old
10-17-2003, 02:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak72
AMEN!! Someone else that realizes how consistent this guy has been.
I like Fitzpatrick. And I like him a lot.

I just like Commodore better because he's younger, bigger, and still has some upside potential to him.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:34 AM
sveiglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the future
well i don't know if youve seen him play this year, judging by those comments i'm guessing you haven't. many fans thought commodore was excellent and would be useful against teams with big forwards. again he was the most expendable, but i guarantee he's not a pylon and would be useful on 90 % of the teams out there
I haven't seen him this year, but I know that he was shipped out of Jersey because he was consistently beaten out wide by forwards that had no business doing so. Maybe he worked on that over the summer, but he wasn't very mobile when he first broke in. Yeah, plunk him in front of the net and he sure could work over some guys, but there's more to defending than that and he was exposed way too often in New Jersey and hence dealt. I just passed that one as a possible reason why he was sent down by Calgary.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:49 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
I like Fitzpatrick. And I like him a lot.

I just like Commodore better because he's younger, bigger, and still has some upside potential to him.
And that's what they probably saw in Mike Wilson too.Rory Fitzpatrick is to solid and reliable to get rid of.Our defense is kinda full as it is and I would rather have Delmore,Kalinin,Tallinder,McKee,Fitzpatrick,Zhitni k and Fitzpatrick over Commodore.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
And that's what they probably saw in Mike Wilson too.Rory Fitzpatrick is to solid and reliable to get rid of.Our defense is kinda full as it is and I would rather have Delmore,Kalinin,Tallinder,McKee,Fitzpatrick,Zhitni k and Fitzpatrick over Commodore.
God only knows what they saw in Mike Wilson. But at least Commodore is physical. He's not just a big body ala Wilson or Smehlik.

And Delmore needs to start producing offensively, or else I'd rather have Commodore over him as well.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:07 AM
Kozak72

Quote:
God only knows what they saw in Mike Wilson. But at least Commodore is physical. He's not just a big body ala Wilson or Smehlik.

And Delmore needs to start producing offensively, or else I'd rather have Commodore over him as well.
Delmore showed his skills on that first PP last night with Briere on the other point. Other than that, he is not showing much.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Kozak72

Speaking of the defence, when did Patrick hurt his knee?

http://www.jimfeist.com/Corner/Injuries.asp?Sport=NhL

Old
10-20-2003, 03:43 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Perhaps Claude Lapointe's cat took him out?

Closed Thread