HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you make this trade? (NYR-MON)

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 08:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Would you make this trade? (NYR-MON)

Discussed this deal with a Habs fan Munchausen:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=20774

To MON: Matthew Barnaby
To NYR: Niklas Sundstrom

The Rangers get back Sunny who is a good two way player and provides something that this team really needs; a good defensive winger. Put him on the left with Holik and Lundmark and let him play on the PK. Yes, the Rangers give up Barnaby but I don't think he is going to repeat his success from last season and is not really suited to play sparingly on the fourth line. And with players like Simon, Lacouture, and Keefe (potentially a younger Barnaby), I believe this team can afford to lose Barnaby. Add in the fact that Sunny is younger, a better skater, and an Ranger draft pick, I would make this trade easily.

10-18-2003, 08:33 AM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Discussed this deal with a Habs fan Munchausen:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=20774

To MON: Matthew Barnaby
To NYR: Niklas Sundstrom

The Rangers get back Sunny who is a good two way player and provides something that this team really needs; a good defensive winger. Put him on the left with Holik and Lundmark and let him play on the PK. Yes, the Rangers give up Barnaby but I don't think he is going to repeat his success from last season and is not really suited to play sparingly on the fourth line. And with players like Simon, Lacouture, and Keefe (potentially a younger Barnaby), I believe this team can afford to lose Barnaby. Add in the fact that Sunny is younger, a better skater, and an Ranger draft pick, I would make this trade easily.

I like to have Sundstrom back, but on the Habs id like to get Dackell as well and Sundstrom and I like Jason Ward as well.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I would make the deal. I know Barnaby is a fan favorite, but this team lacks defensive forwards worse than any team in the league. We have scorers (though you wouldn't know it to look at the scoreboard), we have grinders and pests, but who do we have that's actually any good defensively? Lac is, Holik is at even strength, and that's it. That's pretty sad considering our fearless leader is supposedly implementing a defensive system.

Sundstrom fills a need, Barnaby doesn't. His contributions could be made by waiver pickups like Keefe and Stock.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Barnaby

I always liked Sundstrom alot. I like Barnaby but I'd do it because he could be a nice defensive forward next to Holik.

..... but I would have to change my username

Old
10-18-2003, 09:01 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
I like to have Sundstrom back, but on the Habs id like to get Dackell as well and Sundstrom and I like Jason Ward as well.
Dackell and Ward for what?!

Yes I would make the deal.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I think if theres one guy thats gonna be on the outs (that has some kinda value) is gonna end up being Anson Carter. I'd trade him for Sundstrom and something/one else over Barnaby.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:19 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
tuff decison. Id lke to see how Barnaby does with Holik, they were good toghter last year.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
I think if theres one guy thats gonna be on the outs (that has some kinda value) is gonna end up being Anson Carter. I'd trade him for Sundstrom and something/one else over Barnaby.

Sorry but I just don't see this as making good use of assets at all. Barnaby is an easily replaceble player (with players all ready on the roster) and Sundstrom fills a need that the Rangers don't have. Why even bring Carter in to the mix?

Old
10-18-2003, 09:51 AM
Barnaby

Carter and Sundstrom arent even in the same class in terms of trade value.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:51 AM
Vito Andolini

I think if this team is going to be successful, Matty is gonna be a big part of it. He's got a great attittude and he seriously wants to win. Plus I think he's a great chemistry type of guy, he's the type that can help pull this group of individuals into a team. Before considering trading him I'd like to try him out on a few lines to see if they can form an adequate checking line. First I'd like to see him on a line with Holik and Lundmark, and if that doesn't work I'd like to see him with Holik and Lacoutre. If after about 10 games I dont see anything from those 2 lines then I'd consider dealing Barnaby.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:50 AM
Dorthmall

Send a message via AIM to Dorthmall
Hmmm... how bout a trade like this...

To NYR: Jason Ward, Ron Hainsey, and Niklas Sundstrom

To MTL: Anson Carter and Matthew Barnaby

Old
10-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthmall

Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I don't want Barnaby moved anywhere

Old
10-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I don't want Barnaby moved anywhere
Neither do I... but if you can fill a big whole then you do it... everyone has a price

Old
10-18-2003, 12:22 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthmall

I don't want to move Carter for Hainsey and Ward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Neither do I... but if you can fill a big whole then you do it... everyone has a price
And how is this filling a big hole? It could be argued Barnaby leaving creates another hole as well. With that said I would still do the deal but I wouldn't care whether we do or don't.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Barnaby

And how is this filling a big hole? It could be argued Barnaby leaving creates another hole as well. With that said I would still do the deal but I wouldn't care whether we do or don't.[/QUOTE]

I'm just saying Barnaby isn't untouchable. If you can get a good deal and fill a whole then do it. I wasn't proposing any trades.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:39 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't mind Barnaby for Sundstrom if we were actually a team playing somewhere near its potential.

To a certain extent Barnaby is one of the guys who shows up every night. On a team where that is the exception and not the rule, I think it sends the wrong message.

It's only three games.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:00 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the habs wouldn't trade hainsey, sundstrom and ward for an "overpaid" carter and a mucker barnaby.

I am all for going with the "system" for the next 10 or 15 games and make the call at that point. Renney needs a chance to work on it in practice and get all the players on the same page and trusting the system and not trying to do too much on their own.

Then again, I haven't seen any games, but merely listened to them via NHL.COM radio. They must look lousy, but at least dunham is playing well and they appear to be keeping the puck out of the nets on broadway.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Davisian

I'd say NO to the deal myself...

Sundstrom is a better two way player than Barnaby, but he's really not much faster, and as Barnaby is still one of the guys who seems to take the unifrorm seriously, I don't trade him unless the return is "wheely" fast..

As a matter of fact, I'd rather not see any deals, or at least any new aquisitions for the varsity..

I'd rather see a couple of call ups and some fresher legs in the lineup, and have the people they replaced be traded for other early 20 somethings to take their place in HFD..

Closed Thread