HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Thread: Part 4 | Happy New Year!

Old
06-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Pop singer Bobby Curtola has died. This saddens me. I've sung with him. He lived near Edmonton. His Coca-Cola commercials were legendary. I have some great stories about the guy.
My older sister had a big crush on him, 'back in the day'.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
It'll soon be decision day for Edmonton Northlands. Maybe by the end of August we'll know what will happen with the Northlands society and its properties.

If the City of Edmonton forgives close to $50 million in debt and approves the expensive Vision 2020 project, then they would proceed with multiple projects, including the Agricom expansion to 5,000 seats.

Anyone see this all happening? I don't. Especially with all that debt.,
Of course not, the city has made it clear whom they favor and who they don't. They won't get a ton of opposition on it so they will fold the tent and suddenly become fiscally conservative.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

By the way, anyone heard Bryan Hall on Global this morning? I thought he was on drugs today or a VERY bad hangover. This is what he said

"The Eskimos GM is at the NHL Combine looking at some prospects and maybe even talking to a few other GMs, but we know he has the 4th and he will draft that young Keith Tkachook and his team is hoping to win the Stanley cup...Stanley cup...I mean the Memorial Cup, and the Eskimos are hoping to even make it to the Stanley Cup Finals because let's be real here. Commonwealth is being built in downtown and wouldn't that be something to see those players hoist the Grey Cup in that new building?"

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
By the way, anyone heard Bryan Hall on Global this morning? I thought he was on drugs today or a VERY bad hangover. This is what he said

"The Eskimos GM is at the NHL Combine looking at some prospects and maybe even talking to a few other GMs, but we know he has the 4th and he will draft that young Keith Tkachook and his team is hoping to win the Stanley cup...Stanley cup...I mean the Memorial Cup, and the Eskimos are hoping to even make it to the Stanley Cup Finals because let's be real here. Commonwealth is being built in downtown and wouldn't that be something to see those players hoist the Grey Cup in that new building?"

"uuh what?"

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:23 AM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:

he's just old. I think people at that age, when they get excited, they just don't know what comes out of their mouths.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:

Bryan does stuff like this to get ink and phone ins. To be talked about. Which evidently works. Plus that was tongue in cheek sarcasm about one org in the city getting a brand new shiny arena downtown, and swee **** all delivered to the fans, and another beloved team delivering the goods. It was Hall sarcasm at its finest, to those that have an ear for it.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 12:57 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
"uuh what?"
It's amazing that people so bad at their jobs still have it. If I performed like that at my job I'd be turfed out the door.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 08:55 AM
SerbianEagle

Anyone know of an insurance company that recognizes international driving experience? I've been with TD for a long time now and they've been great but...I went from paying $100/month to $200/month as soon as I reported that my wife has a Canadian drivers license. She has 13 years driving experience in Europe, but nope...nothing doing.

So, yeah, time for a new insurer...

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 12:06 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Anyone know of an insurance company that recognizes international driving experience? I've been with TD for a long time now and they've been great but...I went from paying $100/month to $200/month as soon as I reported that my wife has a Canadian drivers license. She has 13 years driving experience in Europe, but nope...nothing doing.

So, yeah, time for a new insurer...
I can actually understand this. someone who may not be familiar with Canadian rules and driving on Canadian roads.
Depending where she is from, I've seen some places where the standards and quality of driving is a lot different. so an extra driver, extra risk, should have extra cost. If she can go a year without any incident, I bet the cost will drop a lot.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:11 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I can actually understand this. someone who may not be familiar with Canadian rules and driving on Canadian roads.
Depending where she is from, I've seen some places where the standards and quality of driving is a lot different. so an extra driver, extra risk, should have extra cost.
Plus if someone is from UK, (not saying in this instance) one could have a habit of driving on the wrong side of the road..

I still don't ever get that. Isn't right hand rule a universal rule?

As a somewhat older person who has driven for decades I would find it very difficult to adapt to driving in passenger side of vehicle on left hand side of roads. Gimme UK traffic circles and I would literally melt.

Doesn't make me a bad driver, but makes me habituated and less likely to adapt well. For sure in that case insurers should charge more. I wouldn't trust my driving, myself, in the UK. WE take trains and public transit there always.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Plus if someone is from UK, (not saying in this instance) one could have a habit of driving on the wrong side of the road..

I still don't ever get that. Isn't right hand rule a universal rule?

As a somewhat older person who has driven for decades I would find it very difficult to adapt to driving in passenger side of vehicle on left hand side of roads. Gimme UK traffic circles and I would literally melt.

Doesn't make me a bad driver, but makes me habituated and less likely to adapt well. For sure in that case insurers should charge more. I wouldn't trust my driving, myself, in the UK. WE take trains and public transit there always.
If I lived in a place that had a transit system like London or Sydney, I'd never own a car. it was always so easy and convenient to get around.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
If I lived in a place that had a transit system like London or Sydney, I'd never own a car. it was always so easy and convenient to get around.
Ditto. It just doesn't make sense to drive there. Amazing how many people do though. For instance in London driving is an odd status symbol. Its harder, takes more time, is incredibly frustrating in gridlock, but some see it as a Joneses thing.

Funniest thing is seeing people hiring a cab to heathrow (a 2hr ride in gridlock) when the tube takes you there directly in 20mins. For 5% of the cost.

I think that's another habitual thing. Some can't abide the notion of public transit. I love good public transit.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:48 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Depending where she is from, I've seen some places where the standards and quality of driving is a lot different. so an extra driver, extra risk, should have extra cost. If she can go a year without any incident, I bet the cost will drop a lot.
She drove in a country where driving is a lot more complicated with extra signage etc...Also, there is no such thing as going to a registry and asking to take a class 7 test. Driver education is mandatory as is having first aid cetificate, driving a manual, driving in snow and highway driving before one can get on the road and drive.

I see your point, but this isn't one of those cases. I've heard there are insurance companies that recognize driving experience from abroad provided a drivers abstract is provided and translated, so you know, just kinda hoping someone might know.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
She drove in a country where driving is a lot more complicated with extra signage etc...Also, there is no such thing as going to a registry and asking to take a class 7 test. Driver education is mandatory as is having first aid cetificate, driving a manual, driving in snow and highway driving before one can get on the road and drive.

I see your point, but this isn't one of those cases. I've heard there are insurance companies that recognize driving experience from abroad provided a drivers abstract is provided and translated, so you know, just kinda hoping someone might know.
perhaps try Belairdirect insurance? (used to be Canada direct insurance)

Old
06-10-2016, 05:43 AM
Zaddy Zads

European Football Championships starting today. Good to have some entertainment until the draft

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 06:06 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
European Football Championships starting today. Good to have some entertainment until the draft
What is it with France and Perennially easy draws? Seems like every tournament.

anyway I just hope its a safe tourney with no problems.

Go Germany!

Old
06-10-2016, 06:48 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
What is it with France and Perennially easy draws? Seems like every tournament.

anyway I just hope its a safe tourney with no problems.

Go Germany!
Seems to be a trend with the nations hosting the championships getting an easy group. Meanwhile Sweden got the group of death, getting the only group with two top notch teams in Italy and Belgium.

Germany got a disgustingly good team as always. They're always fun to watch, should be their tournament to lose. I'm cheering a little bit for Belgium as I'm a big fan of Hazard and de Bruyne. They'll probably choke and not even make it out of the groups though but if it means Sweden advance to the playoffs I'm all for it

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Gord
Batfink!

stupid world we live in. My wife said Costco already has snowsuits for sale.
it's not even mid june.
wtf? this crap gets worse every year.

Old
06-10-2016, 09:45 AM
TheBrew

Quote:
Should be great to watch. It's to bad Reus has to miss another tournament but the Germans are still strong without him. I'll be rooting for England and Turkey also.

TheBrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Seems to be a trend with the nations hosting the championships getting an easy group. Meanwhile Sweden got the group of death, getting the only group with two top notch teams in Italy and Belgium.

Germany got a disgustingly good team as always. They're always fun to watch, should be their tournament to lose. I'm cheering a little bit for Belgium as I'm a big fan of Hazard and de Bruyne. They'll probably choke and not even make it out of the groups though but if it means Sweden advance to the playoffs I'm all for it
heh, be forewarned. Belgium is like the Lightning to me. I dunno what it is. Just dislike that squad and how they try to pull out games in quick stints instead of solid 90mins of football. I thought Belgium were extremely arrogant in the WC and got what they deserved. Cheered loudly when they got bounced.

That aside Euro is getting bigger, and better and interestingly imo even more dominant despite past thoughts that SA, Africa, Asia, Concacaf would get better. We're in the midst of seemingly another very Euro dominant time in Football making this tourney even more interesting.

Old
06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
stupid world we live in. My wife said Costco already has snowsuits for sale.
it's not even mid june.
wtf? this crap gets worse every year.
One year recently I wanted to buy a bike in June. All the stores were already sold out of them. But I could buy Snowshoes, in July, which were ironically only on shelf until November. Bikes were back in stock in January. You can't make this **** up.

Old
06-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
One year recently I wanted to buy a bike in June. All the stores were already sold out of them. But I could buy Snowshoes, in July, which were ironically only on sale until November. Bikes were back in stock in January. You can't make this **** up.
Yes I agree. I needed Garden Shears in late July as I broke my old ones. Had to buy them off Amazon as the stores were sold out. WTF? Snow Shovels were on the shelves where the gardening stuff was at Canadian tire.

Old
06-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Yes I agree. I needed Garden Shears in late July as I broke my old ones. Had to buy them off Amazon as the stores were sold out. WTF? Snow Shovels were on the shelves where the gardening stuff was at Canadian tire.
Lol that's like when I broke my snow shovel in January and I went to buy a new one and they were all sold out (except for the kids shovels) so I ended up buying a garden shovel since I needed to get the job done.

Paralyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Could be worse, could be Target where the Garden section was whatever they managed to ship in/manufacture as consumer goods in the present 5 year cominterm plan.

Some people will get that bit but it is funny how one of the biggest retailers in the world managed to be so incredibly incompetent. Target Garden section, lol, consisted mostly of empty dusty shelves. The whole time they operated.

Old
06-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Could be worse, could be Target where the Garden section was whatever they managed to ship in/manufacture as consumer goods in the present 5 year cominterm plan.

Some people will get that bit but it is funny how one of the biggest retailers in the world managed to be so incredibly incompetent. Target Garden section, lol, consisted mostly of empty dusty shelves. The whole time they operated.
Target. Where do I start? lol

Out of all the incompetence I saw from that retailer. I'll say that the one thing that I really didn't appreciate was buying expired dog treats by 6 months and not being able to return them because they had just started the "We are closing forever" sale.

Yeah, it's partially my fault for not checking the expire date on the package until I got home. However, when i'm shopping for food items i'm not going to check the expiry date of every single item... but come on man. 6 months! Why wasn't it in the dumpster?

I say bring back zellers!