HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The OT Thread: Part 4 | Happy New Year!

Old
06-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Zaddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh, be forewarned. Belgium is like the Lightning to me. I dunno what it is. Just dislike that squad and how they try to pull out games in quick stints instead of solid 90mins of football. I thought Belgium were extremely arrogant in the WC and got what they deserved. Cheered loudly when they got bounced.
I'm under no illusion what kind of team Belgium is, that's why I said they'll probably choke in the groupstage

They have a lot of talented players on their team but so far they haven't been able to pull it together and I doubt they will now. Still, they're really entertaining to watch when they're on top of their game.

Zaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
I'm under no illusion what kind of team Belgium is, that's why I said they'll probably choke in the groupstage

They have a lot of talented players on their team but so far they haven't been able to pull it together and I doubt they will now. Still, they're really entertaining to watch when they're on top of their game.
heh, its almost surreal we got the same take on this.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2016, 01:53 PM
SerbianEagle

Everyone is writing off Italy, and it'll be at their own peril. They still play the typical Italian style of preferring to not lose and then finding a way to squeak out a win. Conte will be motivated to get a good result at EURO '16 prior to taking over Chelsea.

I say Italy will surprise everyone. Another team to keep an eye on is Portugal. They are playing really well lately and finding form at just the right time.

My top 4 to win EURO 16: Portugal, Italy, France and Croatia

My top 4 disappointments: England, Germany, Spain and Belgium

Take it to the bookie

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Zaddy

Hit hard by the news of Christina Grimmies death this morning.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...ert-in-florida

I realize that probably not a lot of people here knew who she was but she was a big part of my life and a beacon of light while struggling through depression in my late teens. She was a musician who got famous through YouTube and eventually competed on The Voice. More than that though she was a genuine and beautiful soul with an angelic voice that just wanted to spread happiness through her music. I feel for her family and especially her mother who beat cancer twice, only to have to see her daughter get shot to death at 22. What has the world come to when such a loving and innocent person gets killed?

Rest in peace Christina.

Old
06-12-2016, 04:28 AM
Dakine879

Ali on Stauffer

IMO if M. Ali would have an opinion on Stauffer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIk6dK0iKso

8:00 to 10.40

I listen to Oilers Now everyday.

Dakine879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2016, 04:44 AM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

vCash: 1323
I don't get it

Took a pill in Sbisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2016, 05:05 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I don't get it
join the club

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2016, 10:14 AM
NeuteredHockeyLeague
5-14-6-1

Maybe he is saying Stauffer shouldn't be an expert on the radio because he never played and has just been a broadcaster his whole adulthood. Maybe.

NeuteredHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2016, 10:37 PM
SDig14

Not Ali or Howe related, but shout out to Brooke Henderson on her first LPGA major.

The 3 best young women players battled down to the end.

First of many majors if I'd have to guess.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuteredHockeyLeague View Post
Maybe he is saying Stauffer shouldn't be an expert on the radio because he never played and has just been a broadcaster his whole adulthood. Maybe.
Or he wanted to see Stauffer get stung like a bee in the face by the Great Ali

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 01:27 PM
MoneyGuy

Anyone know roughly how many traffic circles and roundabouts there are in Edmonton?

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 03:32 PM
the pen is mightier

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Anyone know roughly how many traffic circles and roundabouts there are in Edmonton?
142 st & 87
142 st & 107
Groat & 118
Groat & 87
Connors & 90
85 st & 98 ave

Those are the ones that come to mind. Maybe more?

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 03:36 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pen is mightier View Post
142 st & 87
142 st & 107
Groat & 118
Groat & 87
Connors & 90
85 st & 98 ave

Those are the ones that come to mind. Maybe more?
I think there are lots of small ones around the city, no? Little two-lane jobs in areas with lighter traffic volumes.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2016, 03:54 PM
Zaddy

Belgium playing just like expected in the Euro Championship. Ultra-talented team but everyone trying to do too much on their own. Seems they learned nothing from the World Cup experience. Also appearing to lack team unity and probably facing similar problems to the french national team of past years. Will be another early exit in a tournament where, on paper, they should be one of the top dogs.

Old
06-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I think there are lots of small ones around the city, no? Little two-lane jobs in areas with lighter traffic volumes.
Some of the newer neighborhoods on the southside have these mini rounds. Sherwood park has some as well.

Old
06-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Belgium playing just like expected in the Euro Championship. Ultra-talented team but everyone trying to do too much on their own. Seems they learned nothing from the World Cup experience. Also appearing to lack team unity and probably facing similar problems to the french national team of past years. Will be another early exit in a tournament where, on paper, they should be one of the top dogs.
Did anybody figure Belgium would get a result? I'd be putting my money on Italy in any match against Belgium. But i'm just not overly impressed as mentioned with Belgiums team play. At higher rungs it doesn't matter as much who you have on the pitch, just that the team is playing cohesive integrated football. If you don't have that you get ripped apart. Italy is made to beat teams like Belgium for fun.

"•Italy have not lost a competitive game to Belgium in 34 years"

This should be an easy one for the oddsmakers.

Old
06-14-2016, 04:41 AM
Zaddy

Quote:
Did anybody figure Belgium would get a result? I'd be putting my money on Italy in any match against Belgium. But i'm just not overly impressed as mentioned with Belgiums team play. At higher rungs it doesn't matter as much who you have on the pitch, just that the team is playing cohesive integrated football. If you don't have that you get ripped apart. Italy is made to beat teams like Belgium for fun.

"•Italy have not lost a competitive game to Belgium in 34 years"

This should be an easy one for the oddsmakers.
Yeah, on paper you would think Belgium would win this one but if you look at how both teams play, Italy is clearly a more cohesive team and might actually surprise this tournament and go very far. The experts don't seem to believe in them this year, but they have a very good chance at making the finals IMO.

Old
06-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Gord
Batfink!

the LRT stations now have signs that tell the time until the next train.
Of course they've been offline since April with no signs of being fixed in the near future.
does Edmonton transit have anything that works properly?

they still don't have the nait line running properly either.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
NeuteredHockeyLeague
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the LRT stations now have signs that tell the time until the next train.
Of course they've been offline since April with no signs of being fixed in the near future.
does Edmonton transit have anything that works properly?

they still don't have the nait line running properly either.
I used to take the LRT to/from NAIT and the University. One morning the LRT was down so I bussed, and have been taking the bus since. Less crowded, better view, and I get to sit and study on the bus.

Meaning I think the NAIT LRT was poorly executed and a waste of money

Last edited by NeuteredHockeyLeague: 06-14-2016 at 10:53 AM.
NeuteredHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Spawn

Anyone have any suggestions of places to get firewood. Either in the city or in the surrounding area?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2016, 01:04 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Anyone have any suggestions of places to get firewood. Either in the city or in the surrounding area?
I've heard tell trees are a pretty reliable source.

Old
06-15-2016, 01:28 AM
Spawn

Quote:
I've heard tell trees are a pretty reliable source.
I've got a lovely park about a block from my house. I'm sure no one will mind if I go start chopping down a few trees.

Old
06-15-2016, 05:48 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
I've got a lovely park about a block from my house. I'm sure no one will mind if I go start chopping down a few trees.
Heh, I was being flippant obviously. Theres lots of clearcutting where stands of trees are just left laying around. In some cases wth the expansion of suburbs they want people to take the logs away. For sure it won't be cut, but in a lot of cases it will be bucked. Which is more than enough. Also, some farmers, acreages, even appreciate if somebody clear cuts some trees for them. With todays technology in chargeable chain saws. I have a couple and they work fine, You can cut and buck a medium sized tree on one charge. These are so lightweight anybody can use them with the proper care. But with the proviso of know what you're doing, don't tackle trees you can't handle, research all proper precaution etc. I've been cutting my own wood for years. I'm not going to give you my legitimate sources though. Being a city dweller I don't much like gas chainsaws. I don't have a pick up truck and don't like carting gas chainsaws and gas around inside an SUV. One spill and you never stop smelling gas. Long as you own the vehicle. I just throw down a tarp and for carrying bucked wood I'm ready to go. With fold down seats I can distribute the load fine.

If you know any farmers, land owners, Acreage owners., anybody with a cottage, lake lot etc ask around. If not post up on kijiji that you would cut and buck and haul for free and you'd probably get hits. Heh, if not experienced NEVER cut a tree near a building without knowing how to take a tree down and how to get it to fall the way you want.

Other than that people can buy wood by the cord. At considerable cost. Which I find silly in this province or country. A little sweat equity has probably saved me 10K on firewood. easy. I've even made money as I like the physical bullwork. I haven't bought firewood outside of a campground in 3 decades. I've known several people that live off the grid and firewood is their heating source. For anybody with land cutting down replanting ends up being a damn reliable renewable source. If you don't care what kind of wood poplar grows like weeds here. You don't even have to plant seedlings, just let the cotton fly. With coniferous trees you have to replant with seedlings. Poplars grow to harvest size in 15 years in good conditions. Most native coniferous varieties here take 25.

Finally, any cut wood requires seasoning (drying) I buck it and store it for over a year. Don't plan on burning any right away although a lot of people in campgrounds end up burning some non cured wet wood.

edit: in ten minutes on kijiji I found around half a dozen local 'come and get it" free sources of firewood. Take as much as you want. (but minimally you have to cart off a load, don't waste peoples time) Not that I'd be vouching for wood quality and most of it is not fully bucked to 16inch lengths but that's common. A lot of people just cut trees down and buck to 5-6 ft lengths to save their time and trouble. That's pretty standard. But its free, and not much work to buck down. 5ft lengths, especially dry, are easy enough to load. Usually these are just 6inches thick. Just people cutting what they consider weed trees.

Last edited by Replacement*: 06-15-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old
06-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Replacement's info is good, I've been doing close to the same for over a decade now.

What's different for me is that I've always used gas chainsaws and I have a big enough property on Vancouver Island with tons of trees, so I'm usually able to get enough wood on my own property (though it's very hilly and uneven, so I have to pull the wood back to the house with a lawn tractor with an attached trailer quite often)

The only other piece of advice I have is that IF you're looking to purchase or rent a gas chainsaw, pay the extra and buy decent quality like a Husqvarna or Stihl. I struggled with Canadian Tire crap like Poulan and Craftsman for years before my wife had enough of my whining and bought me an 18" Stihl chainsaw for Valentine's Day. It was the best Valentine's Day gift I ever received.

For me, the #1 annoyance with owning a chainsaw is keeping the chain sharp and in good working order. You can do it yourself, but it can take some practice and you can screw up the chain's teeth if you don't know what you're doing, and if you're bucking deadfall that's on the ground and the terrain is rocky like where I am, it's not hard at all to clip a rock with your saw when you're cutting, and all it takes is a split second of that and the entire chain will be dulled and require sharpening. If that happens you'll know immediately that something is messed up as the wood chips you're making will go from big chunks to little more than sawdust, which is a sure sign that your chain isn't cutting well.

Anyway, good luck and be safe and if you're going to fell your own trees, MAKE SURE YOU READ UP ON HOW TO DO IT PROPERLY!

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Spawn

I appreciate the advice. But I don't have the equipment, knowledge, capability or desire to start cutting down trees or breaking logs down into manageable pieces.

I just want to be able to have the occasional fire in the back yard pit. I don't mind spending a little bit of money to have some (most) of the work done for me.

Kids these days want everything done for them