HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The OT Thread: Part 4 | Happy New Year!

Old
06-15-2016, 05:25 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
I have a great tree-felling story, if anyone is interested.

Hint, they sometimes call me lefty now.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2016, 05:37 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I appreciate the advice. But I don't have the equipment, knowledge, capability or desire to start cutting down trees or breaking logs down into manageable pieces.

I just want to be able to have the occasional fire in the back yard pit. I don't mind spending a little bit of money to have some (most) of the work done for me.

Kids these days want everything done for them
A couple of the places on kijiji have even bucked the wood. All you have to do is take it home and chop it. Which btw used to be standard issue in any campground. Do you have an axe? heh

You're going to spend anwhere from 250-300 for a cord of wood. Not birch either. Pine or Poplar for that price. Mind you Pine is probably the preferred wood for backyard but it burns FAST.

ps any Gas station or 7-11 sells bags of firewood. That might be more your ticket. Expect to pay min 20bucks for one reasonable fire in that case.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2016, 11:58 PM
NewBoysClub97*
All-Star

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the LRT stations now have signs that tell the time until the next train.
Of course they've been offline since April with no signs of being fixed in the near future.
does Edmonton transit have anything that works properly?

they still don't have the nait line running properly either.
I know Century Park has had them for 4-5 years.

NewBoysClub97* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2016, 12:10 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A couple of the places on kijiji have even bucked the wood. All you have to do is take it home and chop it. Which btw used to be standard issue in any campground. Do you have an axe? heh

You're going to spend anwhere from 250-300 for a cord of wood. Not birch either. Pine or Poplar for that price. Mind you Pine is probably the preferred wood for backyard but it burns FAST.

ps any Gas station or 7-11 sells bags of firewood. That might be more your ticket. Expect to pay min 20bucks for one reasonable fire in that case.
Cords... bucking... Words...

Replacement... You overestimate me

How long do you think a cord of wood would last (how many decent backyard fires)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I have a great tree-felling story, if anyone is interested.

Hint, they sometimes call me lefty now.
Sounds like why I don't want to do it myself

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Cords... bucking... Words...

Replacement... You overestimate me

How long do you think a cord of wood would last (how many decent backyard fires)?

heh, A cord afairc is supposed to be something like 4ftX4ftX8ft in volume. Of course being that the wood is cut to approx. 16inch lengths(bucked) and chopped to pieces ready to throw in the fire the wood never ends up being very packed. Think of filling the back of a pickup, standard box, fairly full.

Anyway a cord will last you the summer. Depends what kind of fires you, how big, how long your burning wood, etc. Heres why I like chopping my own wood. I take end branches (particularly from coniferous trees) and use those for fire starter. Once really dry those things go up immediately. They catch, no problem at all, and that starts your fire going. Next I make sure I always have trimmed branches (i.e. sticks to throw in there) next I start using the chopped wood. But heres the kicker. When a fire is hot enough you can throw full logs in (and should as they keep burning longer. You have to throw some chopped wood in once in awhile but the full logs (even up to 8inches thick) burn fine with enough heat. Trouble is when you buy pre-chopped wood you don't have logs to throw in and thus your word is imo overchopped. Next, You always want to have a nice big log as a chopping board or putting drinks on etc. Some people start fires by chopping wood into fine thin kindling. The chopping block,i.e. log, comes in handy for that. Instead as mentioned I just use whatever dry branches I can find.

Happy fires, a couple rules of the road, try to let your neighbors know when you intend to have a fire, don't pick a windy day to do it, and have your windows closed so fire alarms don't go off. Have a source of water close at hand if you ever need it, be 10ft from any building/overhang etc and don't start a fire near a tree, fence, deck etc.. Be extra careful to put out the fire or make sure its out before going to bed. Many a person has been alarmed that their fire can quite easily be still restarted the next morning. Even the next day. If you have a lot of embers accumulated that stays hot for a while. Best way to detect is stir the fire up with a poker. You'll see the embers and feel the heat. This means you need more water to put it out.

Back in the wild west or homestead days people wouldn't really have to start fires every time. Fires could just be reignited from the embers the next day. Also being that bushwhackers/voyageurs etc used to sleep around the fire with very little shelter to speak of the fact that the fire stays hot for a long time was important. Also even for homesteaders off the grid who have their fire going all day and stoke it good at 10pm allowing them to sleep in reasonably warm conditions. Nothing worse than waking up in the freezing cold..

Last edited by Replacement*; 06-16-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Old
06-16-2016, 11:14 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Actually, it went well and they don't really call me lefty. Although I do dress left so it could apply.

I'd never felled a tree before and had a huge one in my backyard. If it goes the wrong way it takes out a fence and perhaps a car that might be driving by. I parked my vehicle in the backyard and tied a rope to the trailer hitch and to the tree so it could not fall the wrong way. I knew how to notch the tree and it worked perfectly. It landed exactly where I wanted it to.

A few years later a friend who has taken down many trees on his acreage helped me with a tree in my front yard. I, the rookie, did mine perfectly but his fell onto my house. The only damage was eaves troughs, which we replaced.

That's my tree story; I hope you're not disappointed that I wasn't maimed.

Old
06-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Actually, it went well and they don't really call me lefty. Although I do dress left so it could apply.

I'd never felled a tree before and had a huge one in my backyard. If it goes the wrong way it takes out a fence and perhaps a car that might be driving by. I parked my vehicle in the backyard and tied a rope to the trailer hitch and to the tree so it could not fall the wrong way. I knew how to notch the tree and it worked perfectly. It landed exactly where I wanted it to.

A few years later a friend who has taken down many trees on his acreage helped me with a tree in my front yard. I, the rookie, did mine perfectly but his fell onto my house. The only damage was eaves troughs, which we replaced.

That's my tree story; I hope you're not disappointed that I wasn't maimed.
Only mildly. I was hoping for a James Franco-esque story of self-dismemberment with a hatchet or something.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2016, 11:05 PM
Del McPreston

Meat Loaf collapsed on stage at The Jube tonight.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 12:13 AM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

NBA playoffs and more specifically the Finals have absolutely crushed anything the NHL offered this season, rigourously, completely, every which way. Game 7 Sunday.

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 09:01 AM
Gord
Batfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
NBA playoffs and more specifically the Finals have absolutely crushed anything the NHL offered this season, rigourously, completely, every which way. Game 7 Sunday.
unless one is not a fan of basketball. then it's still boring.

a sport that people don't like played at a high quality level is still a sport that isn't liked.

soccer as an example. I don't care what event it is or who is playing. I can't stand to watch the sport.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 10:08 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
unless one is not a fan of basketball. then it's still boring.

a sport that people don't like played at a high quality level is still a sport that isn't liked.

soccer as an example. I don't care what event it is or who is playing. I can't stand to watch the sport.
Sure, but that argument applies to any sport.

The reality is that due to the Cavs coming back in the series it's suddenly exciting again. People were calling it a dud after 2 games though, so that's how quickly things can change in these sports.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Section337

The stories are likely more interesting (something the NBA always has over the NHL), but have the games been better? They have basically all ended with starting line ups on the bench.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 10:32 AM
NewBoysClub97*
All-Star

I'm loving the NBA playoffs this year (I only watch playoffs), But I started watching game 6 after the first half. That's what I usually do.

I'll watch all of game 7 though.

NewBoysClub97* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 10:40 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
The stories are likely more interesting (something the NBA always has over the NHL), but have the games been better? They have basically all ended with starting line ups on the bench.
Closest game was 11 points. Not exactly exciting stuff for sure.

Old
06-17-2016, 02:55 PM
MoneyGuy

I need a place to hold a Scotch tasting client appreciation event. Can be downtown, near downtown, Whyte Avenue or west end. Scotch drinkers, what'ya got?

Old
06-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1637
Soccer fans at events are the worst.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2016, 05:49 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Soccer fans at events are the worst.
Most popular sport in the world also comes with the baggage of having the most tribalism in it I guess.

Old
06-18-2016, 03:45 AM
Quality McOil
Help

The whole idea of football "ultras" is ****ing embarrassing. 10 seconds in a hockey arena or around hockey fans with that attitude and you'll get thrown out or will have the **** kicked out of you. I don't care if its 20k or 80k, you don't see us chucking flares and explosives at the Eskies if they play a bad game. Flares and explosives are pretty much common among south American and central European clubs.

Disgusting Russian fans, disgusting Croatian fans, disgusting English fans and half of France is being terrorized. Not sure who I missed, but I'm sure the list goes on.
Cant wait for the Olympics

As much as we ***** toward one another about this sport, we as hockey fans put pretty much every other sports fans to shame. Really happy to have such respect ingrained in the sport, despite ours being one of the most physical and aggressive out there. Rugby has the same level of respect, we both know how to do it proper.

I love soccer, but I'm sick of the cowards both on and off the pitch. Professional soccer players and plenty of die-hard soccer fans leave far too much to be desired.

Last edited by Quality McOil; 06-18-2016 at 03:58 AM..
Quality McOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2016, 04:54 AM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quality McOil View Post
The whole idea of football "ultras" is ****ing embarrassing. 10 seconds in a hockey arena or around hockey fans with that attitude and you'll get thrown out or will have the **** kicked out of you. I don't care if its 20k or 80k, you don't see us chucking flares and explosives at the Eskies if they play a bad game. Flares and explosives are pretty much common among south American and central European clubs.

Disgusting Russian fans, disgusting Croatian fans, disgusting English fans and half of France is being terrorized. Not sure who I missed, but I'm sure the list goes on.
Cant wait for the Olympics

As much as we ***** toward one another about this sport, we as hockey fans put pretty much every other sports fans to shame. Really happy to have such respect ingrained in the sport, despite ours being one of the most physical and aggressive out there. Rugby has the same level of respect, we both know how to do it proper.

I love soccer, but I'm sick of the cowards both on and off the pitch. Professional soccer players and plenty of die-hard soccer fans leave far too much to be desired.
I mean, I don't know, it depends on how you look at it. Obviously there's way more idiots in soccer but it's also a sport that's way more accessible to people than hockey is, which could explain that. And on the other side of it I think soccer fans in general are WAY more passionate than NHL fans and can really make an arena loud and elevate the atmopshere in a way that hockey fans, at least in the NHL, can't/don't.

Stuff like this is pretty amazing.

EDIT: Here's a pretty good read on the Croatia situation and why it happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._did_croatian/

Apparently this is the guy running Croatian football:

Seems like a nice guy eh?

Last edited by Zaddy Zads; 06-18-2016 at 05:19 AM..
Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2016, 08:09 AM
Quality McOil
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
I mean, I don't know, it depends on how you look at it. Obviously there's way more idiots in soccer but it's also a sport that's way more accessible to people than hockey is, which could explain that. And on the other side of it I think soccer fans in general are WAY more passionate than NHL fans and can really make an arena loud and elevate the atmopshere in a way that hockey fans, at least in the NHL, can't/don't.

Stuff like this is pretty amazing.

EDIT: Here's a pretty good read on the Croatia situation and why it happened: https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm..._did_croatian/

Apparently this is the guy running Croatian football:

Seems like a nice guy eh?
Great point about the accessibility, it's one thing to take control of 18-20k people in an enclosed arena, but 50k+ in general admission would be a mess. I'm sure if you packed 30k Flames fans next to 30k Oilers fans we'd have more than a couple tussles in the crowd. Hooliganism is always going to be a part of the sport, but if they could tone it down just a little bit that'd be fantastic. I'd like my friends to come home and not get overrun by any 'ultras' Hooliganism is cult-like in its tendency toward violence.

Thanks for the link, I always love reading about a good scandal. Mamić has always been a monster, but I had no idea how closely involved he is with the players' welfare. Some of the 'personal agreements' he had drawn up are straight up criminal. FIFA really allow the corruption to trickle down, the whole lot of them are thick as thieves.

I love the game when we can forget about all the outside trash, I feel like these tournaments (World Cup, Euro, Olympics, etc...) are supposed to be a way for people to all get their minds off all the bad **** going on in the world, maybe I'm paying attention to the wrong headlines, but the bad **** seems to be in the spotlight so far.

Buncha good ol' Ontaria boys wouldn't be throwing flares like this https://streamable.com/rmsf

Last edited by Quality McOil; 06-18-2016 at 08:17 AM..
Old
06-18-2016, 08:42 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy Zads View Post
Exactly. Because so many people follow the sport it comes with a larger collection of crazy, as well as awesome, people.

We've all seen some really stupid stuff at hockey games, and that's with much smaller groups, less history in the sport, and with fans who have a lot of other things going on in their lives, so they don't care as much. For some of these folks soccer is one of the only things they care about in life.

Old
06-18-2016, 01:34 PM
SerbianEagle

It isn't just English, Russian, Croatian...fans. Every country with at least a half decent league or a national team has the same problem. Its hooliganism and they are most noticeable at big matches because they too, pick their moments.

As for the specific example of Croatian fans in the Croatia - Czech Republic game. That was an organized group, most of which the Croatian police managed to snag when they tried to leave for France. Unfortunately, some of them got by. What was it about?

The guy in one of the clips above, Zdravko Mamic, has monopolized Croatian football. He has run Dinamo Zagreb for the last 10+ years and in the process has destroyed everyone who tried to offer up some resistance. Croatia has two big clubs, Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split. Hajduk represents the Dalmatia region, whereas Dinamo represents central Croatia. They formed the big 4 in former Yugoslavia alongside Red Star Belgrade (CL winners in 1991) and Partizan Belgrade.

Mamic has destroyed Hajduk and made it into "just another club" in Croatia and they've since been overtaken by Rijeka as well.

Still, Mamic has huge opposition in Croatia even from Dinamo Zagreb fans, and its that opposition that organized the "action" in the Czech Republic game. Their plan was for the game to be abandoned and registered 3-0 for the Czechs.

Croatian manager, Ante Cacic, was hand picked by Mamic and the guy has no big club management experience at all. His best is a short stint at Dinamo, where he was fired, by Mamic himself. Confused yet?

But, don't let the bad overshadow the good. I've been dying to use the following couple of clips from Euroleague Basketball I attended in Belgrade. Red Star Belgrade v.s Darusafaka from Turkey. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AMwORJJj4

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2016, 01:46 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Re; soccers associated violence, hooliganism, the popularity of soccer is on a whole other level and no sport compares to it in associated nationalistic zeal. As far as sporting events only the Olympics comes close to matching the fervor that Soccer spawns. For instance the Olympics multiple times in its history has had its spirit subverted by nationalistic influence.

Theres obviously nothing particularly violence inducing about soccer, properly played its a gentlemens game. The extreme reactions to it and fan behavior can be put down again to the degree of zeal that the enormity that Soccer in the world represents. Where countries hopes and dreams live and die with each tournament. With resulting reflecting anything from national pride, international standing, credibility, even economic results. Indeed countries have even gone through sociopolitical malaise due a lack of success in soccer. One can draw parallels to religion, which similarly induces irrational, unethical behavior in followers.

Last edited by Replacement*; 06-18-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Old
06-18-2016, 03:44 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

It's funny seeing videos of the Irish fans, looking like the example for model guest behaviour. Cleaning up their own trash, helping elderly people, making merry in non aggressive ways. Nice to see.

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2016, 02:31 AM
Quality McOil
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
It isn't just English, Russian, Croatian...fans. Every country with at least a half decent league or a national team has the same problem. Its hooliganism and they are most noticeable at big matches because they too, pick their moments.

As for the specific example of Croatian fans in the Croatia - Czech Republic game. That was an organized group, most of which the Croatian police managed to snag when they tried to leave for France. Unfortunately, some of them got by. What was it about?

The guy in one of the clips above, Zdravko Mamic, has monopolized Croatian football. He has run Dinamo Zagreb for the last 10+ years and in the process has destroyed everyone who tried to offer up some resistance. Croatia has two big clubs, Dinamo Zagreb and Hajduk Split. Hajduk represents the Dalmatia region, whereas Dinamo represents central Croatia. They formed the big 4 in former Yugoslavia alongside Red Star Belgrade (CL winners in 1991) and Partizan Belgrade.

Mamic has destroyed Hajduk and made it into "just another club" in Croatia and they've since been overtaken by Rijeka as well.

Still, Mamic has huge opposition in Croatia even from Dinamo Zagreb fans, and its that opposition that organized the "action" in the Czech Republic game. Their plan was for the game to be abandoned and registered 3-0 for the Czechs.

Croatian manager, Ante Cacic, was hand picked by Mamic and the guy has no big club management experience at all. His best is a short stint at Dinamo, where he was fired, by Mamic himself. Confused yet?

But, don't let the bad overshadow the good. I've been dying to use the following couple of clips from Euroleague Basketball I attended in Belgrade. Red Star Belgrade v.s Darusafaka from Turkey. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14AMwORJJj4 (Is that a giant strawberry flag?) I wish we consistently had awesome crowd chants and anthems like this for hockey, certainly something I always wish could be made traditional to the sport. We do have the wave going for us though!
Thanks for this write up Serbian, you're clearly passionate and knowledgeable. This is great stuff to read. Everyone else too, thanks. Footy can be such a polarizing sport.

I get overly emotional when the game plays at my heartstrings. I guess that's what being a fanatic is all about! I hope Iceland can make it through, they've successfully captured my attention for this Euro https://streamable.com/te1p (cool fan chants from both Iceland and Hungary, this kind of stuff gives me goosebumps). Not only that, but Iceland look to be a skilled bunch on top of the headline.

Last edited by Quality McOil; 06-19-2016 at 02:50 AM..