Dupes on NE Hockey Journal today on Thornton

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 02:01 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Dupes on NE Hockey Journal today on Thornton

Good show today although not a lot of Broons talk as Bruce McNall was on for a half hour or so. When I heard McNall I could have cared less one way or the other. It was interesting and he is peddling his recent book and your hearing only his side of the story. You can tull the guy is charasmatic and I bet has some good stories to tell.

Anyways, Dupes started talking Sox at first for about 5 minutes or so- you'd think he was at HF boards ; he was behind home plate and had a perfect view of the latest verion of The Red Sox Horror Picture (err, pitcher) Show Part ????. Ugh....I gotta stop, tomorrow was going to be Pats at 1; anyone at 4 and Sox at 8

Dupes eventually moved on to MOC and the NMB story. He agrees MOC may be feeling a bit of the heat. But what was interesting to me the Joe Thornton talk. Dupes basically said Joe's not a kid anymore and its time to start doing it. He questioned if he's captain material (no imo) and even thru out some trade speculation. He said he spoke to JJ recently and alluded to JJ saying just that- its been 6 or 7 years since he's been here. Which brings me to my question? Just who are the leaders on this team? The Sox seem to have a few guys specifically Varitek, Nixon, Millar, and Ortiz who set the tone. None of them are one of the Big 3 which is fine. It should have been good enough to win it all with secondary albeit borderline allstars leading. The Broons leaders? Lapointe I'm told is that type of guy but then I hear he's put so much pressure on himself to justify his situation I say how can you lead? O'Donnell? McGillis hasn't been around that long....Boynton will be intime but really there is no clearcut Billy Guerin type of guy. But thats probably not fair as Guerin may be one of the top handful of leaders in the NHL.

Dupes also talked about his column tomorrow so that'll be good to read since he's been bust covering our baseball team that just seems to invent ways to suck you in emotionally, fall in love with you and then reach in and rip your heart out. I wish the Broons could do this- its better than boring first round wipe outs or worse not making it.

And actually the late 60's Bruins thru the early 90's managed to do just that- it'd be nice to have them back.

Old
10-18-2003, 03:10 PM
cygnusX-1

vCash:
What a sick joke of an owner J.J. sounds like...

I wonder what kind of a trade his "brain trust" in the front office could come up with that would be better than having Thornton as a Bruin...

Old
10-18-2003, 04:42 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

I heard part of the show, from 11-11:30, and I heard KPD saying he'd trade Thornton for Luongo. His 101 points last season don't appear to matter, but they will matter if he doesn't reach that amount this season, or the seasons to come after that. Which brings me to the question, is Thornton now past his peak to fans? IMO, don't think he is as he still has some time to mature and 'grow his game' since he's 24. Maybe making him Captain wasn't the brightest of ideas when he was only 23.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Flame Away

Conroy and Igilna for Thornton and Huml?

Old
10-19-2003, 05:40 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Just about any player in the league is a downgrade from Thornton. Talk of trading him is nuts.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
Just about any player in the league is a downgrade from Thornton. Talk of trading him is nuts.
Yes, Thornton's the best on paper. However, this phrase says it all: "ONE ROUND AND OUT". Talk of trading him is anything but nuts. If he's still la-di-dah by mid season I'm 100% for shuttling him out of here. I think he's a great guy and he has a great attitude...but it's not translating into what we need to see from our #1 center and captain on the ice. Thornton is turning into Allison, and he's boring me. I don't pay attention to the top line anymore - if they score, great: I only watch the other lines.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:51 PM
BlacknGold Barbarino

Quote:
Yes, Thornton's the best on paper. However, this phrase says it all: "ONE ROUND AND OUT". Talk of trading him is anything but nuts. If he's still la-di-dah by mid season I'm 100% for shuttling him out of here. I think he's a great guy and he has a great attitude...but it's not translating into what we need to see from our #1 center and captain on the ice. Thornton is turning into Allison, and he's boring me. I don't pay attention to the top line anymore - if they score, great: I only watch the other lines.
So trading the (arguably) best player in hockey for Iginla (who has done what in the playoffs?) will help the Bs get to the Cup? Sorry, I don't by it. And O'Connell isn't crazy enough to trade the player the franchise has been built around. Just not going to happen.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:41 PM
hardbody77

what a joke,thornton isnt gonna get traded, he has more trade value then anyone in the nhl . basically he`s untouchable..
this is just the way the bruin front office handles things, scare and intimadate the player in the media.and in a very classless manner too.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'm a big Thornton and Samsonov fan and believe the Broons should market the team around these two; I love Joe but MOC was absolutely right in his questioning the forwards. Joe floats at times and has talked a bit to much about wanting to play with Samsonov and Murray. Its time he becomes more consistent; he is absolutely a force when he wants to. Look at what he did tonight defensively let alone in the offensive end. As for the trading it was Dupont throwing it out there. And as for Luongo? to me Raycroft and Toivonen are both young enough and may even be as good as Roberto. Luongo's very good but we sometimes get caught up in draft position. Joe will be a Bruin player for many, many years imo- to me it was just tossing something out there and nothing more.

If you trade for Luongo then you have Toivonen and Raycroft but would then start messing around and toss in Toivonen and want Horton back. It gets crazy and ends up being some fantasy league trade or day dreaming stuff I used to do during accounting class.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:08 AM
sfbruin

As many here have already noted, Sammy is tough to play with at times. I think Green will figure it out soon enough. I like the idea of this line, at least on paper. Lapointe likes to run around creating chaos -- Sammy thrives on chaos. All Green needs to do is figure out Sammy's tendencies.

Either way, the other lines are going good -- don't touch 'em.

And why why why must we always discuss trading Big Bird??? THIS CANNOT HAPPEN. Yes, he is still learning about being the C, but there is no more complete skill set in the league.

Everyone was real quick to criticize Joe for suggesting that setting the line combos would help to develop some chemistry -- the standard response seemed to be that Joe should just shut up and do it all himself. This is unrealistic IMO, and I would think that almost anyone who has played team sports would understand the concept of chemistry.

I got a huge kick out of Rucchin drop passing to Thornton yesterday -- that move is an oldie but a goodie.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
No.

Thank God you aren't in any kind of position to influence Bruins personnel moves.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:49 AM
sfbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
No.

Thank God you aren't in any kind of position to influence Bruins personnel moves.
Amen.

Closed Thread