HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Midseason Grades

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2006, 03:13 PM
  #1
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Midseason Grades

Here is the article from the Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...601040402/1053

I will offer my own, and encourage others to do likewise.

Forwards:

Zetterberg - A+: He has been the best player on the team, leading by example and rarely having an off night. Move to center was a good move, he's been even better since.

Datsyuk - B: He has a lot of points but his play has really been disappointing to me. If he played with the same fire he had the first half of 03-04 he would be a top 5 scorer and a dominating force. As it is, he floats, plays soft, makes lazy passes, and goes several games at a time without making an impact. The highlight reel plays aren't there this year. I've also noticed that a lot of his points are late in blowouts or lost causes, when the going's not so rough. But he does have a lot of points, so he gets a B.

Shanahan - A: He started out red hot and hasn't kept up the pace, but he's been very good thus far, better than anyone expected. His shot is back, and he's getting himself into the right places again, and closer to the net. Good to see. Hopefully his recent slowdown isn't injury related, he supposedly has been having back spasms. Wings will need him to have a 97-esque playoffs if they're going anywhere.

Williams - A: Another guy that has tailed off lately, but he was so good early and so little was expected that he has to get an A. Return of Woolley to PP unit has decreased his PP time, so that could explain the recent drop in production. A big plus.

Samuelsson - A+: Another cheap overachieving find for the Wings, he's had lots of big goals and hasn't hurt them defensively. Babcock loves him. He's got a rocket of a wrist shot, maybe the best on the team.

Cleary - A: See Samuelsson, but substitute penalty killing and grinding for the rocket shot. Has picked up his play lately, one of the few on the team to do so. Great find.

Lang - B-: Injuries have slowed him down, and he was pretty slow to begin with. One of several players that would benefit if the Wings would take more one-timers from the slot on the PP, rather than rely almost completely on the point shot. Hopefully his game will pick up down the stretch, as the Wings will need some big goals from him in crunch time.

Holmstrom - B: His production is up, but he's still a defensive liability and possibly the worst in the NHL at playing with the puck. Will undoubtedly be a necessary weapon for the playoffs, where he normally excels. Would be much more effective if he could draw penalties, but the refs refuse to call any of the abuse he takes.

Franzenstein - RRR!: He gets a special grade, because he's the 'Stein. He has been a good checker and PKer, and a shift or two with a scoring line wouldn't hurt him either. I think he could make a good linemate for Datsyuk and possibly Williams or Shanahan - a grinder, a shooter and a passer. FIRE BAD!!!

Draper - C: He has played effective defense, but when he is on the ice there is zero pressure on the net - anytime he and Maltby control the puck, it's always in the corners, and never seems to lead to anything productive besides the occasional hooking call. Hopefully the Olympics will juice him up and he will get back to his old 10 goal, 30 point self.

Maltby - C: See Draper. Malts hasn't generated any offense and hasn't been as abrasive as usual either. Plus watching him get pummelled by 79 year old Gary Roberts was just embarassing. The Wings will need more out of these two in the playoffs.

Yzerman - Inc: You start to wonder how much is actual injury, and how much is a nice way of saying he's not among the top 10 forwards on the team anymore. When he's been healthy, he's been effective about once every three games. Hopefully the Wings will give him plenty of rest before the playoffs so he can go out with a bang.

Mowers - C: He's done about what you'd expect, which isn't much. But he's ready to go when they need him and he's not terrible.

Defense:

Lidstrom - A-: His defense has been sloppy at times, as he can't keep up with faster players anymore and has had more inexplicable missed coverages than we're used to. But he has a ton of points and is still one of the better defensemen in the league. Has been getting more shots on the PP (which I was clamoring for for the first 2 months of the season, thank you) and has looked better as a result.

Schneider - A-: His defense has been sloppy as usual, but he was so hot offensively in October and November that it's less noticeable. As Lidstrom's PP shots have increased, his have decreased, and he's not scoring as much. If he can limit his turnovers and at least play passable defense, he's a great guy to have on the second pair. They really need a defensive guy to play with him to cover him, and Chelios is not a long-term solution there. In a perfect world I would suggest a Keith Carney-type player.

Chelios - B: He has played beyond his years, that's for sure. And he has played better recently, not getting beaten as badly by quicker players and not taking penalties as often. That being said, everyone would be better served if he were playing 10-12 minutes a night, not 16-18. He would be fresher for the playoffs and the third pair would be stronger. But as a fill-in, and for the money, he's been good.

Lilja - C-: This grade is adjusted because he plays with Lidstrom. Lilja is the worst defenseman on the roster. He doesn't skate well, he contributes nothing offensively, and he always, always grabs his man in the corner, then looks stupefied when he gets called for holding. His penalty killing has been decent, so he's in the Cs. But he doesn't do anything for me otherwise. I would love it if he were bumped to the third pair, or out of the lineup completely, when Kronwall comes back.

Lebda - B+: He has been great. Steady on defense, few big mistakes, especially for a rookie, and his speed has caused all kinds of fits for opponents. I hope he makes the playoff roster because he is better than Lilja and at least as good as Woolley. He won't, but it will be a numbers decision. The kid can play.

Woolley - B-: He has provided a lot of points, but his defense is not good and he's not physical in any way. A good guy to have around for the third pair, but really not suited for everyday play anymore. Should be strictly a PP specialist at this point in his career. Not as much as a liability as Delmore would have been, and better with the puck to boot.

Rivers - Inc: I'll be kind to Rivers because he's holding down the 23rd roster spot and happy to do it. Supposedly he's a "room guy", so that makes up for his awful play when he's been in the lineup, which isn't often. Will probably be out of hockey or sitting in the Columbus or Pittsburgh press box next season.

Goalies:

Legace - A-: Was outstanding in October, was good in November, and has been hurt since. Provides a stabilizing force when he's in the net - teammates know he'll cover them if they slip up, but they also know he's not a world beater on his own.

Osgood - B: Has been very solid filling in for Legace after a horrid start, returning rusty from a groin injury. Makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck, and gives fans (and teammates?) the shakes on a nightly basis, but generally keeps the team in the game. Prone to making big saves and then letting in a bad goal. Doesn't have Legace's quickness, so when he goes down he stays there a while. A cheap, familiar, veteran backup, Osgood has provided more than expected by most.

Coach:

Babcock - A-: Would be an A+ if not for occasional brain farts like the end of the Minnesota game and his reluctance to play Hudler and Filppula when they were up. Seems to juggle the lines just enough and just as needed. Better than Dave Lewis - shows emotion, holds players accountable for bad play, does something other than finger his moustache behind the bench, doesn't resemble Hitler. Good hire.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
  #2
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
So, that F'ing moron Babcock is good enough for you to give him an A grade?

Is your entire life riding on this same roller coaster of emotions that you display on this board?

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 04:21 PM
  #3
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Williams - A: Another guy that has tailed off lately, but he was so good early and so little was expected that he has to get an A. Return of Woolley to PP unit has decreased his PP time, so that could explain the recent drop in production. A big plus.
There's no way Williams should get higher than a B, his offense has been all well and good, but he's probably our 2nd biggest defensive liability.

Heaton is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 05:15 PM
  #4
Fryer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
So, that F'ing moron Babcock is good enough for you to give him an A grade?

Is your entire life riding on this same roller coaster of emotions that you display on this board?
Do we have to add "F'ing moron" to Babcock's name every time we mention him on this boards? (my wink button no longer works...)

Fryer is offline  
Old
01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
  #5
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryer
Do we have to add "F'ing moron" to Babcock's name every time we mention him on this boards? (my wink button no longer works...)
Sure...lets do it. It will be our little inside joke.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 01:08 AM
  #6
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!
 
TOPGUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 500
Nice report, Sarcastro. I see that Lidstrom is back!

TOPGUN is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
  #7
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
Nice report, Sarcastro. I see that Lidstrom is back!
He never left. Some people simply lost a little faith in him.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 01:39 AM
  #8
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!
 
TOPGUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
He never left. Some people simply lost a little faith in him.
True, is he on pass for another Norris Trophy again?

TOPGUN is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 06:11 AM
  #9
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Ok, kiddies, one at a time.

Babcock made a stupid decision against the Wild, and he hasn't played the young guys they've called up enough. But the team is better than most people thought they could be after purging half their salary, and Babcock is a hell of a lot better than Lewis was. A-. I suppose I'll amend my previous statement to "Babcock was an F'ing moron at the end of that Minnesota game," or "Babcock made an F'ing moronic move at the end of that Minnesota game." Hopefully that will appease some of the blue-skies contingent around here who don't seem to like any sort of criticism, constructive or otherwise.

Williams gets an A from me because he makes the minimum and he wasn't expected to do much - 5 goals and 20 points on the 4th line would have been more than enough to meet expectations. And here he is among the team leaders in scoring.

Lidstrom has played a lot better since I made my original comments about him not playing well. As I said, he still gets beat too often by quicker players, which includes just about everyone at this point. But he's picked it up recently and looks more like himself. I think a lot of this has to do with his increased involvement on the PP - he's looking to shoot more and not just deferring all the time, and that seems to have spread to the rest of his game. I still wouldn't call him the Lidstrom of 1998 or 2002, but he has picked it up since I made my original statement.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 07:33 AM
  #10
guvnor1983
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London, England
Country: England
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Ok, kiddies, one at a time.

Babcock made a stupid decision against the Wild, .
What stupid decision was that?

The only beef I've had with him was, like you said, not playing the young 'uns when called up.

Apart from that he's been "A" ok!

guvnor1983 is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 07:58 AM
  #11
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvnor1983
What stupid decision was that?

The only beef I've had with him was, like you said, not playing the young 'uns when called up.

Apart from that he's been "A" ok!
It's well documented in the game day thread, but to sum it up, I was very unhappy with the decision to pull the goalie for the faceoff with 1:30 left. They were flying at the time and I thought if they had the full time to work 5 on 5 they would have had a very good chance of tying it. As it happened, they had no time to tie it and the game was over 10 seconds later. That was my beef.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:20 AM
  #12
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
Here is the article from the Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...601040402/1053

I will offer my own, and encourage others to do likewise.

Forwards:

Zetterberg - A+: He has been the best player on the team, leading by example and rarely having an off night. Move to center was a good move, he's been even better since.

Datsyuk - B: He has a lot of points but his play has really been disappointing to me. If he played with the same fire he had the first half of 03-04 he would be a top 5 scorer and a dominating force. As it is, he floats, plays soft, makes lazy passes, and goes several games at a time without making an impact. The highlight reel plays aren't there this year. I've also noticed that a lot of his points are late in blowouts or lost causes, when the going's not so rough. But he does have a lot of points, so he gets a B.

Shanahan - A: He started out red hot and hasn't kept up the pace, but he's been very good thus far, better than anyone expected. His shot is back, and he's getting himself into the right places again, and closer to the net. Good to see. Hopefully his recent slowdown isn't injury related, he supposedly has been having back spasms. Wings will need him to have a 97-esque playoffs if they're going anywhere.

Williams - A: Another guy that has tailed off lately, but he was so good early and so little was expected that he has to get an A. Return of Woolley to PP unit has decreased his PP time, so that could explain the recent drop in production. A big plus.

Samuelsson - A+: Another cheap overachieving find for the Wings, he's had lots of big goals and hasn't hurt them defensively. Babcock loves him. He's got a rocket of a wrist shot, maybe the best on the team.

Cleary - A: See Samuelsson, but substitute penalty killing and grinding for the rocket shot. Has picked up his play lately, one of the few on the team to do so. Great find.

Lang - B-: Injuries have slowed him down, and he was pretty slow to begin with. One of several players that would benefit if the Wings would take more one-timers from the slot on the PP, rather than rely almost completely on the point shot. Hopefully his game will pick up down the stretch, as the Wings will need some big goals from him in crunch time.

Holmstrom - B: His production is up, but he's still a defensive liability and possibly the worst in the NHL at playing with the puck. Will undoubtedly be a necessary weapon for the playoffs, where he normally excels. Would be much more effective if he could draw penalties, but the refs refuse to call any of the abuse he takes.

Franzenstein - RRR!: He gets a special grade, because he's the 'Stein. He has been a good checker and PKer, and a shift or two with a scoring line wouldn't hurt him either. I think he could make a good linemate for Datsyuk and possibly Williams or Shanahan - a grinder, a shooter and a passer. FIRE BAD!!!

Draper - C: He has played effective defense, but when he is on the ice there is zero pressure on the net - anytime he and Maltby control the puck, it's always in the corners, and never seems to lead to anything productive besides the occasional hooking call. Hopefully the Olympics will juice him up and he will get back to his old 10 goal, 30 point self.

Maltby - C: See Draper. Malts hasn't generated any offense and hasn't been as abrasive as usual either. Plus watching him get pummelled by 79 year old Gary Roberts was just embarassing. The Wings will need more out of these two in the playoffs.

Yzerman - Inc: You start to wonder how much is actual injury, and how much is a nice way of saying he's not among the top 10 forwards on the team anymore. When he's been healthy, he's been effective about once every three games. Hopefully the Wings will give him plenty of rest before the playoffs so he can go out with a bang.

Mowers - C: He's done about what you'd expect, which isn't much. But he's ready to go when they need him and he's not terrible.

Defense:

Lidstrom - A-: His defense has been sloppy at times, as he can't keep up with faster players anymore and has had more inexplicable missed coverages than we're used to. But he has a ton of points and is still one of the better defensemen in the league. Has been getting more shots on the PP (which I was clamoring for for the first 2 months of the season, thank you) and has looked better as a result.

Schneider - A-: His defense has been sloppy as usual, but he was so hot offensively in October and November that it's less noticeable. As Lidstrom's PP shots have increased, his have decreased, and he's not scoring as much. If he can limit his turnovers and at least play passable defense, he's a great guy to have on the second pair. They really need a defensive guy to play with him to cover him, and Chelios is not a long-term solution there. In a perfect world I would suggest a Keith Carney-type player.

Chelios - B: He has played beyond his years, that's for sure. And he has played better recently, not getting beaten as badly by quicker players and not taking penalties as often. That being said, everyone would be better served if he were playing 10-12 minutes a night, not 16-18. He would be fresher for the playoffs and the third pair would be stronger. But as a fill-in, and for the money, he's been good.

Lilja - C-: This grade is adjusted because he plays with Lidstrom. Lilja is the worst defenseman on the roster. He doesn't skate well, he contributes nothing offensively, and he always, always grabs his man in the corner, then looks stupefied when he gets called for holding. His penalty killing has been decent, so he's in the Cs. But he doesn't do anything for me otherwise. I would love it if he were bumped to the third pair, or out of the lineup completely, when Kronwall comes back.

Lebda - B+: He has been great. Steady on defense, few big mistakes, especially for a rookie, and his speed has caused all kinds of fits for opponents. I hope he makes the playoff roster because he is better than Lilja and at least as good as Woolley. He won't, but it will be a numbers decision. The kid can play.

Woolley - B-: He has provided a lot of points, but his defense is not good and he's not physical in any way. A good guy to have around for the third pair, but really not suited for everyday play anymore. Should be strictly a PP specialist at this point in his career. Not as much as a liability as Delmore would have been, and better with the puck to boot.

Rivers - Inc: I'll be kind to Rivers because he's holding down the 23rd roster spot and happy to do it. Supposedly he's a "room guy", so that makes up for his awful play when he's been in the lineup, which isn't often. Will probably be out of hockey or sitting in the Columbus or Pittsburgh press box next season.

Goalies:

Legace - A-: Was outstanding in October, was good in November, and has been hurt since. Provides a stabilizing force when he's in the net - teammates know he'll cover them if they slip up, but they also know he's not a world beater on his own.

Osgood - B: Has been very solid filling in for Legace after a horrid start, returning rusty from a groin injury. Makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck, and gives fans (and teammates?) the shakes on a nightly basis, but generally keeps the team in the game. Prone to making big saves and then letting in a bad goal. Doesn't have Legace's quickness, so when he goes down he stays there a while. A cheap, familiar, veteran backup, Osgood has provided more than expected by most.

Coach:

Babcock - A-: Would be an A+ if not for occasional brain farts like the end of the Minnesota game and his reluctance to play Hudler and Filppula when they were up. Seems to juggle the lines just enough and just as needed. Better than Dave Lewis - shows emotion, holds players accountable for bad play, does something other than finger his moustache behind the bench, doesn't resemble Hitler. Good hire.

Pretty good report.
Everyone's a bit high, IMO, except Datsyuk.

Not sure how in the hell anyone can give Z am A+ and Datsyuk a B.
Datsyuk is the Wings best forward.

Until Z gets faster, he can never be as good as Datsyuk

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:30 AM
  #13
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Pretty good report.
Everyone's a bit high, IMO, except Datsyuk.

Not sure how in the hell anyone can give Z am A+ and Datsyuk a B.
Datsyuk is the Wings best forward.

Until Z gets faster, he can never be as good as Datsyuk
I would say Datsyuk is faster and more talented, but he has a tendency to play soft and lazy, and Hank generally works his butt off. So I guess it's relative. Mostly, I just didn't like to see that the freep gave Datsyuk an A and said essentially "he's scored a lot of points, so he's worth the money." There's more to it than that - Datsyuk hasn't been as good this year as he was in 03-04. Zetterberg has been greatly improved.

sarcastro is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
  #14
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Pretty good report.
Everyone's a bit high, IMO, except Datsyuk.

Not sure how in the hell anyone can give Z am A+ and Datsyuk a B.
Datsyuk is the Wings best forward.

Until Z gets faster, he can never be as good as Datsyuk
Until Pavel works harder on every inch of the ice, he can never be as good as Zetterberg.

He'll hunt people down in the open ice and steal the puck but that's the extent of his non-offensive game.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
  #15
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Until Pavel works harder on every inch of the ice, he can never be as good as Zetterberg.

He'll hunt people down in the open ice and steal the puck but that's the extent of his non-offensive game.

That's nonsense, Norris Nick.

Over the past six-eight weeks, Datsyuk has been stellar in his own end. Much improved.
Z always is working hard, but sometimes it's in that Tomas Holmstrom 'working hard' way, where he working hard and not accomplishing that much.

Look, I love Zetterberg.
But face facts. He gives away the puck moe than anyone not named Robert Lang. He can almost never beat anyone one on one. His shot isn't very good and he's rarely going to score from beyond 15 feet out.
He's not any stronger, physically than Datsyuk.
He's slower.

People in here are doing the same thing with Z and Datsyuk as they did with Fedorov and Yzerman.
Overrating one and underrating the other.

Maybe it's that Americans still don't like Russians. Maybe it was Datsyuk's contract squabble.

Whatever, it's just assinine to give Zetterberg an Aplus and Datsyuk a B.

Datsyuk is EASILY the wings best and most consistent offensive threat. And his D isn't much worse.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
  #16
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
That's nonsense, Norris Nick.

Over the past six-eight weeks, Datsyuk has been stellar in his own end. Much improved.
Z always is working hard, but sometimes it's in that Tomas Holmstrom 'working hard' way, where he working hard and not accomplishing that much.

Look, I love Zetterberg.
But face facts. He gives away the puck moe than anyone not named Robert Lang. He can almost never beat anyone one on one. His shot isn't very good and he's rarely going to score from beyond 15 feet out.
He's not any stronger, physically than Datsyuk.
He's slower.

People in here are doing the same thing with Z and Datsyuk as they did with Fedorov and Yzerman.
Overrating one and underrating the other.

Maybe it's that Americans still don't like Russians. Maybe it was Datsyuk's contract squabble.

Whatever, it's just assinine to give Zetterberg an Aplus and Datsyuk a B.

Datsyuk is EASILY the wings best and most consistent offensive threat. And his D isn't much worse.
I'm a huge Fedorov fan, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that line of reasoning.

Hank was great on the wing, but since he's been moved to center he has been our best forward. EASY.

For Pavel being EASILY the wings best and most consistent offensive threat he really isn't putting up huge numbers when compared to Hank. And his defense is that much worse (or that much not as good if you'd prefer positive terms).

Sure Dats is faster and has a nicer shot, but much like your Homer analogy if he doesn't do anything with it, whoopety doo. He may be capable but Pavel is too fancy for defensive assignments late or critical PKs. Those are the things of value that Hank can bring to the table. It's not dumb luck that has Zetterberg out on the ice a minute and a half more a game.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 05:50 PM
  #17
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
I'm a huge Fedorov fan, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that line of reasoning.

Hank was great on the wing, but since he's been moved to center he has been our best forward. EASY.

For Pavel being EASILY the wings best and most consistent offensive threat he really isn't putting up huge numbers when compared to Hank. And his defense is that much worse (or that much not as good if you'd prefer positive terms).

Sure Dats is faster and has a nicer shot, but much like your Homer analogy if he doesn't do anything with it, whoopety doo. He may be capable but Pavel is too fancy for defensive assignments late or critical PKs. Those are the things of value that Hank can bring to the table. It's not dumb luck that has Zetterberg out on the ice a minute and a half more a game.
Pavel is no stranger to killing penalties.
He's done it for Moscow and for the Russian team.

Zetterberg is more responsible defensively. But it's not as great as some of you guys are saying.

Pavel has been our best offensive player since the all-star break of the 02-03 season.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 06:32 PM
  #18
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Pavel is no stranger to killing penalties.
He's done it for Moscow and for the Russian team.

Zetterberg is more responsible defensively. But it's not as great as some of you guys are saying.

Pavel has been our best offensive player since the all-star break of the 02-03 season.
And Zetterberg was a one-man show at Timra and pretty darn good with Tre Kronor as well.

The defensive gap is bigger than the offensive gap. However big you'd like to make them or articulate them. IMO Hank is stronger defensively than Pavel is stronger offensively, thus combined Hank is stronger all around. He's a more complete player, less tools perhaps, but he does more with what he has.

Zetterberg has been our best forward since training camp.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 06:59 PM
  #19
GuloGulo
Registered User
 
GuloGulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: trunkofacamaro
Country: Bahrain
Posts: 3,713
vCash: 500
Only thing with Zetterberg that bothers me is his ability to make highlight reel dekes and moves only to shoot the puck straight into the goalie or never get off a shot at all.

GuloGulo is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
  #20
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
And Zetterberg was a one-man show at Timra and pretty darn good with Tre Kronor as well.

The defensive gap is bigger than the offensive gap. However big you'd like to make them or articulate them. IMO Hank is stronger defensively than Pavel is stronger offensively, thus combined Hank is stronger all around. He's a more complete player, less tools perhaps, but he does more with what he has.

Zetterberg has been our best forward since training camp.
I fully agree with this. Datsyuk's defense is vastly improved from what it used to be, but he's no potential future Selke winner like Hank is.

I do agree that Pavel has a far better shot though. Trouble is he doesn't use it often enough for that to matter when comparing the two. In fact, Hank has 2 more goals than Pavel does.

doublejack is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
  #21
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I fully agree with this. Datsyuk's defense is vastly improved from what it used to be, but he's no potential future Selke winner like Hank is.

I do agree that Pavel has a far better shot though. Trouble is he doesn't use it often enough for that to matter when comparing the two. In fact, Hank has 2 more goals than Pavel does.
To go with his 60 extra shots. It's almost frustrating how little Pavel shoots. Though he has missed the net more than any other Wing save Schneider.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 10:37 AM
  #22
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuloGulo
Only thing with Zetterberg that bothers me is his ability to make highlight reel dekes and moves only to shoot the puck straight into the goalie or never get off a shot at all.

Zetterberg has games where it looks like he's continually skating into a wall.
He tries WAY too much to beat defensemen one-on-one and gives the puck up way to easily

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
  #23
O'shizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Zetterberg has games where it looks like he's continually skating into a wall.
He tries WAY too much to beat defensemen one-on-one and gives the puck up way to easily
He just doesn't have that extra gear when he needs it. He's improving in every part of his game, so I see no reason why he won't get better at that.
Where Hank really excells defensively is forechecking. He's a dog, and never lets up. It seems like at least once a game he gets a steal from behind and creates a good scoring chance. It happened again last night.

O'shizzle is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 01:25 PM
  #24
norrisnick
Registered User
 
norrisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Zetterberg has games where it looks like he's continually skating into a wall.
He tries WAY too much to beat defensemen one-on-one and gives the puck up way to easily
He gives up the puck less than Datsyuk's cute little passes unless there is a leaguewide conspiracy among the statisticians.

They both have flaws. Hank's stem out of trying too hard and Pavel from being unselfish to a fault.

norrisnick is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
  #25
pags78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
to much reading

pags78 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.