HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to Tukonen!

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
willie

vCash: 500
Props to Tukonen!

Just watched him against the States in the Bronze and he looked very good. He was the best forward on the ice and scored the game winner on a very impressive wrist shot. He was also largely responsible for Finland's game winner against Sweden with a terrific screen. He finishes the tournament with 10 points in 7 GP which looks like it'll be good for third overall behind only Malkin & Kessel. (he is currently tied for 2nd but it is a safe bet that Malkin will get a point in the final)

I don't know if he has top line skill but his game looks very well rounded. He appears to be the kind of player that you can plug in on the first line or the fourth line and he will be effective in either role. Monarch fans can give a better outlook but I think he might have similar upside to Mikael Renberg. A solid lunch pail player who has enough skill to play in the top 6.

The Kings have very, very good depth along with the wings for the future. Frolov, Brown, Cammalleri, Tambellini, Tukonen, Avery, Kanko etc. Now if we could somehow pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh, our forward core would be set for the future. (I would deal Kopitar, Gleason, Brown & a 1st in a heartbeat for Malkin. The guy is that good.)

Old
01-05-2006, 06:30 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
Just watched him against the States in the Bronze and he looked very good. He was the best forward on the ice and scored the game winner on a very impressive wrist shot. He was also largely responsible for Finland's game winner against Sweden with a terrific screen. He finishes the tournament with 10 points in 7 GP which looks like it'll be good for third overall behind only Malkin & Kessel. (he is currently tied for 2nd but it is a safe bet that Malkin will get a point in the final)

I don't know if he has top line skill but his game looks very well rounded. He appears to be the kind of player that you can plug in on the first line or the fourth line and he will be effective in either role. Monarch fans can give a better outlook but I think he might have similar upside to Mikael Renberg. A solid lunch pail player who has enough skill to play in the top 6.

The Kings have very, very good depth along with the lines for the future. Frolov, Brown, Cammalleri, Tambellini, Tukonen, Avery, Kanko etc. Now if we could somehow pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh, our forward core would be set for the future. (I would deal Kopitar, Gleason, Brown & a 1st in a heartbeat Malkin. The guy is that good.)
I hope he's better than Renberg, based on what I saw of him int T.O.

Old
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
I hope he's better than Renberg, based on what I saw of him int T.O.
Renberg in T.O. was the tail end of his career. And - even then - he was still a very serviceable player.

Renberg at his best was a ppg winger playing on one of the best lines in all of hockey. And although he was never the most offensively gifted player, he played very physical, smart hockey. I think some people have far too lofty expectations for prospects. If Tukonen becomes a Renberg-calibre talent, he will definetly have been a worthy draft selection. Those are the kind of glue guys that Cup teams need.

Old
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Thanks for the heads up willie

Old
01-05-2006, 09:40 PM
jfont

Awards:
willie!!!!!!

01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
willie

Well the Canadians unexpectedly completely shut down Malkin. (I expected Canada to win, just not totally shut down Evgeni) So this means Tukonen finishes tied for 2nd in scoring with Malkin 1 point behind Kessel. Not bad company, eh?

Old
01-05-2006, 09:57 PM
jfont

Awards:
ok...this means more work for me at the WJC board...*sigh*

Old
01-05-2006, 10:06 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Quote:
Well the Canadians unexpectedly completely shut down Malkin. (I expected Canada to win, just not totally shut down Evgeni) So this means Tukonen finishes tied for 2nd in scoring with Malkin 1 point behind Kessel. Not bad company, eh?
I expected better jk thats amazing company to be with

Old
01-05-2006, 11:08 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Hey - this guy was ranked 4th overall by THN when he got drafted 11th. He should be up there in #'s. But what impressed me the most is that he didn't do it on a line with either Jonseau or Korpikoski (or Nokelainen for that matter). He wasn't a wrecking crew out there - - but he was still a little bit of a man amongst boys out there. Not top line skill, but a top line player none the less

Old
01-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Tukonen was named as a first team all star along with Malkin, Downie, Bourdon, Johnson (Jack), and Rask.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:13 PM
hattrick74

was he an older player? i.e. this is his last year there? also was he expected to do this well? maybe he will get called up when he returns?

Old
01-06-2006, 12:28 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Renberg in T.O. was the tail end of his career. And - even then - he was still a very serviceable player.

Renberg at his best was a ppg winger playing on one of the best lines in all of hockey. And although he was never the most offensively gifted player, he played very physical, smart hockey. I think some people have far too lofty expectations for prospects. If Tukonen becomes a Renberg-calibre talent, he will definetly have been a worthy draft selection. Those are the kind of glue guys that Cup teams need.
Granted...but...can't we hope for more of a Jere Lehtinen(just came to mindas I was writing)?

Old
01-06-2006, 02:53 AM
silver16

Can some explain why Tukonen doesn't receive a pass mention on the first goal against USA? If that had be done he would be first with Kessel..no?

Old
01-06-2006, 03:02 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

So does this mean Belanger will now be replaced with Tukonen in trade rumors?

Old
01-06-2006, 04:44 AM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Granted...but...can't we hope for more of a Jere Lehtinen(just came to mindas I was writing)?
I'd take Renberg in his prime over Lehtinen any day, and twice on Sundays if Frolov is a linemate.

Old
01-06-2006, 04:56 AM
Raipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo
I'd take Renberg in his prime over Lehtinen any day, and twice on Sundays if Frolov is a linemate.
You must be joking.jere is in own class in defensive zone and is also very good scorer also 20goals already.renberg was playing with lindros when he make good numbers.As for Tuokonen he isnt going to be more than 2nd or 3rd liner with 30-40pts in his prime.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:02 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raipe
You must be joking.jere is in own class in defensive zone and is also very good scorer also 20goals already.renberg was playing with lindros when he make good numbers.As for Tuokonen he isnt going to be more than 2nd or 3rd liner with 30-40pts in his prime.
Tukonen will score more then 40 points in his prime.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:04 AM
Larkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo
You have to be kidding me... are you?

Tukonen didint get the point from the last goal, why? He would be first. Nice to see he get to the all-star.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin
You have to be kidding me... are you?

Tukonen didint get the point from the last goal, why? He would be first. Nice to see he get to the all-star.
Nope not kidding. Renberg was a world-class offensive talent that was overshadowed by Lindros. I like Lehtinen but for all the sound defensive positioning I prefer the skills and physical presence that Renberg brought. Having Frolov as a linemate would make Jere's defensive abilities less valuable. Just an opinion though.

The scoring was all screwed up from the bronze game. I think originally the first two goals of the game were considered unassisted. They may adjust the scoring credits some more.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

There is a reason why Lehtinen is in the NHL and Renberg isn't. And Lehtinen will be representing his country in the Olympics and Renberg won't. Thirty out of 30 NHL GM's would take Lehtinen over Renberg.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
ILuvLA

It sounds like Tukonen is adjusting nicely to the NA game. Best guesses until how long before we see young Lauri in LA on a regular basis - next year, the year after?

Old
01-06-2006, 05:56 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
There is a reason why Lehtinen is in the NHL and Renberg isn't. And Lehtinen will be representing his country in the Olympics and Renberg won't. Thirty out of 30 NHL GM's would take Lehtinen over Renberg.
Yeah, it's because Renberg isn't that good anymore. Some players' effectiveness just last longer than others.

You'll get no argument from me regarding the two at present.
Lehtinen now >> Renberg now

BUT, in my opinion:
Renberg circa 1995 > Lehtinen at any point in his career

I promise I won't throw a hissy fit if you disagree with me.

Old
01-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Kick

From the Monarchs site:

Tukonen Earns Honors And The Bronze For Finland

MANCHESTER, NH – Manchester Monarchs forward Lauri Tukonen competed for the bronze medal winning team Finland in the 2006 International Ice Hockey Federation’s World U20 Championship. Tukonen played in all seven games for team Finland and recorded three goals and seven assists for 10 points. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound native of Hyvinkaa, Finland, ranked second in the tournament in overall scoring (10 points), assists (7) and plus-minus with a plus-9.

During the tournament, Tukonen finished the preliminary game versus Norway with a plus-5 rating, one goal and three assists on Friday, December 30. He also fed the game-winning assist to teammate Teemu Laakso in overtime of the quarterfinal game against Sweden on Monday, January 2. In the bronze medal contest on Thursday, January 5 against Team USA, Tukonen scored the game-winning goal in the third period and assisted on the final goal to clinch third place for team Finland.

Tukonen has been named a member of the Media All-Stars team for his performance.

Link

Old
01-07-2006, 10:48 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
From the Monarchs site:

Tukonen Earns Honors And The Bronze For Finland

MANCHESTER, NH – Manchester Monarchs forward Lauri Tukonen competed for the bronze medal winning team Finland in the 2006 International Ice Hockey Federation’s World U20 Championship. Tukonen played in all seven games for team Finland and recorded three goals and seven assists for 10 points. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound native of Hyvinkaa, Finland, ranked second in the tournament in overall scoring (10 points), assists (7) and plus-minus with a plus-9.

During the tournament, Tukonen finished the preliminary game versus Norway with a plus-5 rating, one goal and three assists on Friday, December 30. He also fed the game-winning assist to teammate Teemu Laakso in overtime of the quarterfinal game against Sweden on Monday, January 2. In the bronze medal contest on Thursday, January 5 against Team USA, Tukonen scored the game-winning goal in the third period and assisted on the final goal to clinch third place for team Finland.

Tukonen has been named a member of the Media All-Stars team for his performance.

Link
Congrats to Tuk!

Besides the horrible officiating in the Championships, they also couldn't figure out who scored goals or who assisted them. When Finland played US in the first game, Lauri had both the 4th and 5th goals. The last goal was definitely a deflection when you see the replays. Same thing goes for the assist they missed with him.

As for the Lehtinen / Renberg comaparisons. What a waste of time! Renberg couldn't hold Lehtinen's jock strap, and like ZS said, 30 GM's would take Jere in a heartbeat. Both of those players aren't comparable to Tuk anyways. I'd classify him as a young Holmstrom with better hands. Future 3rd or 2nd line winger. Also a player that drives to the net....something we've lacked for years.

Old
01-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Hockey Moose

Great Job Tuks!

Closed Thread