HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Sportsnet: Pens shopping Malone

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Der Schweinehund

vCash: 500
Sportsnet: Pens shopping Malone

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...05_143019_3900

Well surprise, surprise. Regardless of Sportnet's credibility (or lack thereof) this is a no-brainer.

Old
01-05-2006, 05:38 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schweinehund
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...05_143019_3900

Well surprise, surprise. Regardless of Sportnet's credibility (or lack thereof) this is a no-brainer.
Whats wrong with him this year? I remember seeing a guy with loads of talent and size and was part of the future of Pittsburgh. Can somebody explain this to me?

Old
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Default101

i can't see pittsburgh trading malone unless they got somethin pretty good back, Palffy and Gonchar appear to be at the top of the list, Palffy especially with his latest comments "I expected different. I expected to be at the top. That's the problem." - Penguins LW Zigmund Palffy but reports out there say that Pittsburgh would be top runner if New Jersey would be willing to deal Gomez

Old
01-05-2006, 05:47 PM
tom_servo

Man did his stock fall since the season started. Remember that thread where Malone was almost considered untouchable by some among us?

The thing is, I still believe Malone has 30-goal potential. But one criticism of him from '04 is that he didn't bring it every game, and boy is that ever true this year. It always seems like he's holding something back.

Old
01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
but reports out there say that Pittsburgh would be top runner if New Jersey would be willing to deal Gomez
I doubt NJ could shed more salary to get Palffy. They're strapped as is. Not to mention, Gomez is a center. We have Crosby, then Malkin, and Christensen has been doing pretty good. I don't see the Pens going for a center at all. Even one like Gomez.

Old
01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
tom_servo

Yeah, center is a redundant position for us, especially long term.

Even though all of our centers are rookies at this point, that's not a pressing concern.

I'd like to package one of Tarnstrom or Jackman with Malone, and get at least a decent defenseman in return. Is Colin White's name still among the trade rumors?

Old
01-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
I said he was untouchable, but not because of how good he was, but because of who he was.

I'm not suprised he's having a letdown year at all. I am suprised he's been this bad though.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I'm a little reluctant to let him go because I still think he has a lot to offer the team, especially in a third line role if he would just adjust his game a little. But he hasn't really made a great case for himself this year. He doesn't even look like he cares half the time. Which is a bit unexpected.

Old
01-05-2006, 06:13 PM
tom_servo

I wonder how much of it is complacency.

He got a good amount of notability as a rookie, and with his father in a prominant position within the organization, maybe he doesn't feel the danger of being cast to the fringes.

Old
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

That wouldn't be completely unforeseen.

And I think "complacent" is the most suitable word I've heard yet for his on-ice effort.

Old
01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Til the End of Time

Hopefully the Pens can find a taker for this overrated slug.

Old
01-05-2006, 07:03 PM
GoPenguins

I am not sure if Malone can recapture the fire and effort he put forth most nights in his rookie season, but I do think the current coach we have is perhaps our best shot and getting him back on track outside of his father.

Malone is in danger of getting engulfed by new arrivals and ending up on the fast track out of Pittsburgh.

Old
01-05-2006, 07:42 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Hopefully the Pens can find a taker for this overrated slug.
Don't you think your lame comments on Malone are just a little uncalled for?

Old
01-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Allman
Don't you think your lame comments on Malone are just a little uncalled for?
obviously they are are totally called for, the world is ending

Old
01-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Greaves

That's just too bad that he is going to get dealt. I still say give him some time under Therrien to get his game together. That report says "6 goals in 39 games" or something, but then again the whole team sucked under Edzo...so give him 39 games under Therrien and then make a decision. I have a feeling if this deal is done, the Pens are going to regret it.

Old
01-05-2006, 09:13 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMU85
obviously they are are totally called for, the world is ending

The guy was runner up for R.O.Y. in 2003.
I really think that he's going through the dreaded sophmore jinx for the 1st 3rd of the season and it's about a year or 2 too early to give up on the dude.
It's unfortunate that we have posters such as Til The End Of Time on here that totally trashes everybody if they're not playing up to his unbelievably high standards.
That guy finds fault with everybody and everything.
I don't know maybe that was the way he was brought up, to be perfect and look down on people and things that are not.
Sorry TTEOT, that's just the way you present yourself.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:40 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
I wonder how much of it is complacency.

He got a good amount of notability as a rookie, and with his father in a prominant position within the organization, maybe he doesn't feel the danger of being cast to the fringes.
Yep.

Although I believe MT will get his attention. Too bad, I do believe he is talented. Just real, real lazy. A trade would definitely get his attention and no doubt spur him on. And we would be left we another teams scraps, or some low draft pick. Because that is all he wouuld fetch right now, imo.

Might as well keep him. His salary is not terribly high. His potential is far more than his current trade value. So might as well keep him, and see if he can utilize it here.

MT has shown, (short term results all we can go by right now, lots of rookies) that he can develop players, why not see if he can get the most out of player that could be a power forward.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:48 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'd give him some time under Therrien to see what he does with it. If Therrien would officially sign off on him, then they could move him for whatever.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_410863.html

Old
01-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Allman
The guy was runner up for R.O.Y. in 2003.
No he wasn't.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:41 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I'd give him some time under Therrien to see what he does with it. If Therrien would officially sign off on him, then they could move him for whatever.
Like I said, I think it's about 2 years too early to offically give up on him.
The guy has alot of talent and if he ever wakes up he probably has several 30 goal or better years in him.
I mean come on, isn't a third of a season a little early to give up on a guy that scored all those highlight film goals he did last season?
Before this season began 99% of the Pens fans were considering him a huge part of the future after what we seen last season, now a handful of us want him on the next bus outta here after a bad start.
It's amazing how one fan that doesn't have it in him to find any positive things to say about anything can rub off on alot of the great fans on this board.
I honestly think Malone will turn it around eventually and most of us will either be happy we waited on him or upset that we traded him, except for one clown on here that thrives to spreading his negativity.
Please don't take this post as me coming down on you, because I'm not.
I'm just trying to not let you fall into that negative trap that a certain poster is trying to catch everybody in.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Jag68Sid87

I'd rather keep Malone because I don't think they'll get a defenseman of equal value in return.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
No he wasn't.
He was in the running so that offically makes him one of the runners up.
Now please, go play chicken on the turnpike or something.

Old
01-05-2006, 11:43 PM
DJ Spinoza

I'm not really gung-ho on giving up on a player who HAS promise as an NHLer, don't get me wrong. I am willing to give Malone the benefit of the doubt to try to turn his game around under Therrien. Other prospects of ours have become different players with Therrien's guide, so I don't see why Malone can't.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:00 AM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
I'm not really gung-ho on giving up on a player who HAS promise as an NHLer, don't get me wrong. I am willing to give Malone the benefit of the doubt to try to turn his game around under Therrien. Other prospects of ours have become different players with Therrien's guide, so I don't see why Malone can't.
Hey I agree with you.
That guy just really ticks me off sometimes with the garbage he posts.
Ryan Malone is not an overrated slug. The guy has a ton of talent he just seems to be in a pretty bad funk right now.
Every player gets in a bad slump every now and again,it doesn't mean they're overrated slugs like TTEOT would like everyone to believe.
Like I said Malone is probably gonna be fine and we'll see alot of the things that we did last season from him eventually.

Closed Thread