HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

re: Sick and Tired of OIL Bashing

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 01:38 PM
WFHACommish

vCash: 500
re: Sick and Tired of OIL Bashing

I am sick and tired of reading constantly that the Oilers will not make the playoffs this year and how they have no depth whatsoever. No veterans. No good centres. No leadership. No comrie!!!!

We are prolly one of the few teams that have a lot of depth in our organization and our farm team's (former Bulldogs) making it all the way to game 7 of the Calder Cup shows it. This is our strongest asset. We have our high end prospect Rita playing in the minors. I know he may not have had a good training camp, but I'm pretty sure, he would be guaranteed a spot easily on any other NHL team. We have Stoll sitting in the pressbox as with Semenov. These guys could easy find themselves in a regular lineup on some other NHL team.

No veterans; no leadership you guys say? What has Smyth, Moreau, Smith, Cross, Salo, Staois have been doing day in and day out for some time. Cross has been a journeyman in this league for a long time. Staois I remember was a captain of Atlanta. How many players can say they were captains of an NHL team. Smyth has been around the league for many years and even captained Canada last year. Let's not forget we have made the playoffs six of the last 7. Although we have lost guys like grier and marchant, we had a young guys that have played in the playoff from the past 2-3 years. Guys like Brewer, Hemsky, even Bergereon. Playoff experience is a big plus and accelerates maturity. Guys learn a great deal being in the playoffs. Guys like Pisani, Chimera and Horcoff now know what it's like and have some glimpse of what is required of them to be a solid team and what things must be done to be successful.

I know many of you are thinking no Comrie means no playoffs. Comrie played poorly last year. You think it was cuz of Comrie last year that we made the playoffs or were able to compete with Dallas last year? I hope we sit out Comrie. We have the depth to compensate for that. Torres and Isbister were good acquistions. Torres is tearing it up so far and I think he will be a factor in many games this season. It is cuz we have so much depth on the wings that we are able to afford to place Smyth at Center. Although i don't like this, it is a necessity and Smyth is the most qualified of all the winger to be able to move to C. He has been in the league for so many years and a Centre in order to be successful, must know how to be positioned properly and know how to use his wingers.

What is this about no good centres? Just because most of our centres haven't been given the chance to prove themselves cuz we were used to seeing Carter, Comrie and before that Weight logging in huge ice times. We have Horcoff whose solid and I think he gets better when the game is all the more important. What I see in Horcoff is an under-rated and much cheaper Comrie. I remember an article was done comparing Horcoff and Comrie and how similar these players were. Both college players in their respective Michicigan teams and both teared it up down there. Comrie got more attention cuz he was the Brick kid, the Hometown Hero. Horcoff didn't log up as much ice time as Comrie did cuz Comrie was the huge attraction and played well. Horcoff played well with the ice time he got. Who was the best Oilers last year in the playoffs? Horcoff. Then there's York whose solid and Reasoner a good solid 3rd liner who lead our team last year in plus/minus and played in the toughest division in the league and had to defend the likes of Naslund, Bertuzzi, Forsberg, Sakic night in and night out.

Every year we lose a big name. Richardson, CuJo, Weight, Guerin. This year Comrie (athough he might come back), Marchant. We still make the playoffs. We've made it 6 out of the last 7 times. I can't believe we as fans haven't learned that the Oilers will more often than not find a way to sneaking into the playoffs. I remember last year how Kevin Lowe were receiving death threats for those deadline trades. We've might have picked up a diamond in the rough in Torres and may actually be one of our 2- line winger for years to come. Isbister is putting a great deal of emotion into the game and has played well for us, although the stats haven't showed yet. Dvorak is playing average, but that's due to his personal life (wife and child living overseas and coming off a major injury last year). But let's not forget last year he scored more points than Carter did after they were exchanged. And he did pretty well in the playoffs before that unfortunate injury. Cross although he hasn't played well this season was a good trade. Pisa has only played 3 games for NYR since being traded to them. Cross i know has played more than that.

We may be the youngest team. But we've got leadership and experience.where it counts, mostly in net and on defence. Salo, Staois, Smith, Cross and you might even say Brewer (with Olympics and playoffs and world championships).

So lets give our young boys a chance and have faith in our team. They will lose games and might even be outrageously outplayed, but we've got to grow use to it as we keep getting younger. Kevin Lowe in my mind has done a great job. He knows we don't have a chance to win the cups with this CBA in place. He is preparing our team for post 2004 if there is any hockey, by getting younger and more depth onto our team. So when we do play next season and thereafter and with more even financial power, we will be cup contenders for years to come.

So, quit whining after every single loss! The season's long. Enjoy the game and be appreciative that you have a team that has done a great job under the circumstances we are in.

Old
10-18-2003, 01:46 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Whenever you are down and mad with the oilers think of it this way...at least we arnt the flames

Old
10-18-2003, 01:59 PM
MrMackey

I don't come to these fan boards to wave the flag and be cheery all the time. I come here to discuss hockey, and when we lose or there is a player holding out, or there both our top line centres are not in there natural position - then there's something to talk about.

I hate the fact that when some people say "we should do this", or "we should sit this person, so another can play" or "we should try and trade Comrie for this person", others turn around and say they're jumping off the bandwagon.

I see very few people on the boards suggest that we definately WILL NOT make the playoffs without Comrie, despite some of the recent negativity surrounding the recent losses.

Quite frankly, if I saw everyone being positive and cheery about the way things have been going so far (IMO we've only played one good game), then I wouldn't come back here.

Old
10-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
I don't come to these fan boards to wave the flag and be cheery all the time. I come here to discuss hockey, and when we lose or there is a player holding out, or there both our top line centres are not in there natural position - then there's something to talk about.

I hate the fact that when some people say "we should do this", or "we should sit this person, so another can play" or "we should try and trade Comrie for this person", others turn around and say they're jumping off the bandwagon.

I see very few people on the boards suggest that we definately WILL NOT make the playoffs without Comrie, despite some of the recent negativity surrounding the recent losses.

Quite frankly, if I saw everyone being positive and cheery about the way things have been going so far (IMO we've only played one good game), then I wouldn't come back here.

Agree completely. If we march in lock step with the management, and consider every game a success, it would get mighty boring. I love the cross section of people on the board, they bring real passion to the game I love. To quote the Talking Heads, this ain't no party, this ain't no disco.

Old
10-18-2003, 03:51 PM
Mr Sakich

this is actually a fairly balanced site. There are other sites that have turned into bashfests and I have pretty much tuned them out. Here, when a guy screws up, it gets posted but we don't resort to a lot of name calling or outright lies.

Old
10-18-2003, 04:47 PM
cram

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on these boards and I think that's what's great about it, the thing we must all not forget is that we cheer for one of the best franchises in sport and at the end of the day we all long for them to return to championship form one day, albeit it's good for someone to come on here and give their two cents (as wrong or right as they may be). Unfortunately, until this team matures and the financial ground is evened, these discussions will continue, we suck ass, we don't have this, we don't have that, we need more money (don't we all??!!). Anyhow, the point I am trying to make is that there is no need to get all worked up about what goes on in this board, when it's all said and done we all want the Edmonton Oilers to be the best again, some of us just seem to have different ideas upon how they should get there and that's fine and dandy, thank the stars we have only one GM.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:23 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
this is actually a fairly balanced site. There are other sites that have turned into bashfests and I have pretty much tuned them out. Here, when a guy screws up, it gets posted but we don't resort to a lot of name calling or outright lies.
Up until this week, I would have agreed with you. I agree with you and lowetide that a balanced opinion is good - management are human and humans make mistakes - but the trend of, well, namecalling is starting to really remind me of certain other forums.

I do like reading the various opinions - I don't want a site where everybody spends all their time patting each other on the back over how clever they are for liking a particular team - but I don't want to read about how so and so is obviously an idiot or a jerk or a moron or childish, either. Hypocrisy bugs me even more than blind fanaticism.

I don't think the more balanced posters are going nuts; I think there's a great deal of concern, myself included. I think we have a very young team, and it's showing its age. They make a lot of mistakes, and their confidence is on a roller coaster.

Just some late night rambling...

Old
10-18-2003, 08:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Up until this week, I would have agreed with you. I agree with you and lowetide that a balanced opinion is good - management are human and humans make mistakes - but the trend of, well, namecalling is starting to really remind me of certain other forums.

I do like reading the various opinions - I don't want a site where everybody spends all their time patting each other on the back over how clever they are for liking a particular team - but I don't want to read about how so and so is obviously an idiot or a jerk or a moron or childish, either. Hypocrisy bugs me even more than blind fanaticism.

I don't think the more balanced posters are going nuts; I think there's a great deal of concern, myself included. I think we have a very young team, and it's showing its age. They make a lot of mistakes, and their confidence is on a roller coaster.

Just some late night rambling...
And where was your complaining over all the "spoiled brat" comments of the last few weeks? If you wanna talk about hypocrisy, talk about that.

Closed Thread