HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Swedish paper: Flyers after Fabricius

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Bill_Meltzer

vCash: 500
Swedish paper: Flyers after Fabricius

In today NSD, a newpaper in northern Sweden ran an article quoting Luleć player Karl Fabricius as saying the Flyers have been trying to recruit him for the Phantoms with the understanding of a shot at the big club by next year. Luleć is the team ex-Flyer Mikael Renberg plays for. Branko Radivojevic was there during the lockout, as was ex-Flyer Justin Williams.

Fabricius, who's 23, has sometimes been called a mini-Renberg (he's smaller than Mikael and has never produced offense at a similar pace, but has a similar work ethic and style).

Here's the link:http://www.nsd.se/artikel.aspx?artid=7245

My translation:

Flyers Pursuing Fabricius

Agent: "They've scouted him several times and liked what they've seen"

Today's hockeybombshell [a wee bit of an exaggeration, eh?]: Peter Forsberg's Philadelphia Flyers are hunting down Karl Fabricius from Luleć Hockey. They've scouted him several times and liked what they've seen," says his agent Juuso Pulliainen.

Today, NSD can officially report that the Philadelphia Flyers already, in November, tried to sign the Luleć forwarde to play with their farm team in North America.

"It was really cool and flattering to hear, but I knew immediate I had no other alternative than to stick with Luleć during the rest of this season," reports Fabricius.

But several weeks later, immediately before Christmas, the Flyers made another attempt and even contacted Luleć Hockey with a proposal in which the club would agree to release him from his contract.

HAS THE BEST FARM TEAM [well, they did last year, anyway]

"They thought there was a good chance for me to familiarize myself with North American hockey on their farm team right now and have a better chance at the NHL next season, but an agreement was never imminent," says Fabricius, who has 7 goals and 7 assists with Luleć this year.

In that case, Fabricius had the chance to land with the best farm team in North America-- the Philadelphia Phantoms are the reigning AHL champions and are coached [never mind John Stevens] by Swedish legend Kjell Samuelsson [I don't think Kjell is quite a legend, but anyway]. Former AIK defenseman David Printz has played with the Phantoms since last season.

The Flyers scouts have studied Fabricius live several times and see a future NHL player in Avansonen.

"Kalle [nickname for Karl] has the right playing style, he's a good skater, strong and coachable. I think he has a good chance. They [the Flyers] liked what they saw," says agent Pullainen.

23-year-old Fabricius has been ordinary in Elitserien for two season and is now the assistant captain with Luleć, but [should be "and"] he has never been drafted by an NHL team.

ALWAYS BEEN A DREAM

Now he qualifies as a free agent [under the new European drafting rules] and can therefore go to whichever NHL team he likes [and wants to sign him].

His contract with Luleć runs out this season.

"It's always been a dream to play over there, but we'll see," says Fabricius.

HAS LULEĆ CONTACTED YOU ABOUT NEXT SEASON

"They'll certainly speak with my agent shortly about that," [says Fabricius].

Old
01-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Yeah, I read it, but I can't figure out why they'd want him? Sure, he'd most likely be a good AHL player, but surely there are other players who are much better than him.

Old
01-05-2006, 03:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Doesn't he have to be drafted?

Old
01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Doesn't he have to be drafted?
Not anymore. Under the new rules, he can be signed as an undrafted free agent.

Old
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Petey21

And here are his stats and a little bit of general info about Fabricius.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=182

Old
01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer
Not anymore. Under the new rules, he can be signed as an undrafted free agent.

How old do you have to be to be a European playing in Europe and become an undrafted UFA

Old
01-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
How old do you have to be to be a European playing in Europe and become an undrafted UFA
22 or 23 I think.

Closed Thread