HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal Voted Defenseman of the Tournament!

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2006, 08:45 PM
BigE

vCash: 500
Staal Voted Defenseman of the Tournament!

Marc Staal has just been named the defenseman of the tournament!!

Forward: Evegny Malkin - Russia
Defense: Marc Staal - Canada
Goalie: Tuuka Rask - Finland

Following Canada's 5-0 victory over Russia in the final of the World Junior Hockey Championship, the IIHF also announced 3 players from each team as the players of the tournament for their respective teams:

From Canada:

Justin Pogge - G
Marc Staal - D
Steve Downie - F

From Russia:

Anton Khubodin - G
Sergei Emelin - D
Evegny Malkin - F

Edit - Just to elaborate here: Staal has been nothing short of tremendous. Defensively he's extremely mature; he refuses to lose a battle, and shows tremendous poise when dealing with his opponents and the puck.

Offensively he's capable of making great first passes, and he's also starting to develop a fine knack for jumping into the rush at the perfect time.

To take a page from Pierre McGuire, "New York Rangers...GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS YOUNG MAN!"

Last edited by BigE: 01-05-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old
01-05-2006, 08:47 PM
NYR2

That's awesome!

Old
01-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Balej20*

Yipee

Old
01-05-2006, 09:06 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Grats Staal!

Old
01-05-2006, 10:04 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Don't get too excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
Marc Staal has just been named the defenseman of the tournament!!

Forward: Evegny Malkin - Russia
Defense: Marc Staal - Canada
Goalie: Tuuka Rask - Finland

Following Canada's 5-0 victory over Russia in the final of the World Junior Hockey Championship, the IIHF also announced 3 players from each team as the players of the tournament for their respective teams:

From Canada:

Justin Pogge - G
Marc Staal - D
Steve Downie - F

From Russia:

Anton Khubodin - G
Sergei Emelin - D
Evegny Malkin - F

Edit - Just to elaborate here: Staal has been nothing short of tremendous. Defensively he's extremely mature; he refuses to lose a battle, and shows tremendous poise when dealing with his opponents and the puck.

Offensively he's capable of making great first passes, and he's also starting to develop a fine knack for jumping into the rush at the perfect time.

To take a page from Pierre McGuire, "New York Rangers...GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS YOUNG MAN!"

Some of our fellow board experts say that playing in the WJC and doing well guarantees nothing.
After all it isn't like the peers his playing against will ever make the NHL either, right?

Old
01-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Skroob*

sounds like Korpikoski did well, too.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Well hopefully this guy continues to develop because the Rangers need help on the blueline. I think JD said during the game tonight that there's speculation that Staal might be ready for the NHL next season but I'd like to see him play a year in the AHL first. I'm looking forward to the day it says Staal on the back of one of the Rangers defensemen rather than Roszival or Poti.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:30 PM
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river

Well, Staal either plays in the NHL or OHL next season. He's only 18, you have to be 20 to play in the AHL.

Old
01-05-2006, 10:50 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Some of our fellow board experts say that playing in the WJC and doing well guarantees nothing.
Actually I said it doesn't guarantee an NHL career. Is your whining here claiming that it does?

In any case, why wouldn't we be excited? I am. But being excited about Staal doesn't prove that Sather is a competent GM because he drafted four players who made it to this year's WJC. Two different issues but if you'd like to discuss Sather again, feel free to start a thread. I'll be happy to contribute.

Last edited by dedalus: 01-05-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94
Well, Staal either plays in the NHL or OHL next season. He's only 18, you have to be 20 to play in the AHL.
So where would you guys rather see him place since he can't go to Hartford?

Old
01-05-2006, 11:26 PM
2Leetch_94
Kreid me a river

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
So where would you guys rather see him place since he can't go to Hartford?
Well, most will probably say with the Rangers but IMO Staal should be sent back to the OHL for one more season, then the season after see what he does during training camp and if he does well, give him a shot with the big boys and if not, he'll be 20 and he can improve himself at the AHL level. Defenseman take a while to fully develop, and there's no reason to rush a 19 year old to the NHL with the schedule and everything that takes a toll on a body.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:01 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Leetch_94
Well, most will probably say with the Rangers but IMO Staal should be sent back to the OHL for one more season, then the season after see what he does during training camp and if he does well, give him a shot with the big boys and if not, he'll be 20 and he can improve himself at the AHL level. Defenseman take a while to fully develop, and there's no reason to rush a 19 year old to the NHL with the schedule and everything that takes a toll on a body.
If you ask Wolves fans...almost all agree he will not be with them next season, he simple is just to good for the league at this point and staying in the OHL another season isn't really going to help much with his development...but I wish there was some natural ground between the OHL and NHL he could go to..because I don't want him running right to the NHL...could he go to the ECHL?

Old
01-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Synergy27

Why is there an age requirement for the AHL anyway? Is it business related?

Old
01-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Balej20*

Staal obviously will be a odds on favorite to make the Rangers out of camp next year. He wont be handed a spot, but chances are he'll earn it.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:29 AM
nyr5186

Considering (a) he almost won a spot on the team in training camp this season, (b) he's made considerable progress in the OHL (particularly with the offensive part of his game), and (c) going back to Sudbury would serve as little challenge to him and would thus stagnate his development, I would put my money on him being a Ranger starting next year. The only thing I ask for is that he's given every opportunity to win a spot. That means not having a guy like Roszival holding him back.

Old
01-06-2006, 05:27 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Isn't that what I said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Actually I said it doesn't guarantee an NHL career. Is your whining here claiming that it does?

In any case, why wouldn't we be excited? I am. But being excited about Staal doesn't prove that Sather is a competent GM because he drafted four players who made it to this year's WJC. Two different issues but if you'd like to discuss Sather again, feel free to start a thread. I'll be happy to contribute.
We all know Sather's done a ;ousy job. Up to this point it has all been done with smoke and mirrors and this team is a house of cards. No good young players, poor selection of vets. The goaltending is down right lucky. Prucha is just a flash in the pan. Tyutin is a waste. Moore isn't a scorer. Who cares if he's a great penalty killer. Anyone can kill penalties. Holloweg is just a small goon.
Our drafts have been horrible. We have a bunch of 4th liners and 6th defensemen and career AHLers in our system. Montoya is a bust. I could go on and on. Last two drafts have been horrible, next years will be about the same.

Old
01-06-2006, 07:39 AM
True Blue

Quote:
We all know Sather's done a ;ousy job. Up to this point it has all been done with smoke and mirrors and this team is a house of cards. No good young players, poor selection of vets. The goaltending is down right lucky. Prucha is just a flash in the pan. Tyutin is a waste. Moore isn't a scorer. Who cares if he's a great penalty killer. Anyone can kill penalties. Holloweg is just a small goon.
Our drafts have been horrible. We have a bunch of 4th liners and 6th defensemen and career AHLers in our system. Montoya is a bust. I could go on and on. Last two drafts have been horrible, next years will be about the same.
Do you just make up this crap as you go along?

Old
01-06-2006, 07:41 AM
True Blue

Hate to say this, but the team that really looks good for the future is the Flyers. Carter, Richards, Umberger, Pittkanen, Downie......Speaking of Umberger, didn't someone say we need size up front? Think he could look good on the other side of Prucha on the 2nd line right now?

Last edited by True Blue: 01-06-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old
01-06-2006, 07:57 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Other than Lundqvist and Staal the Rangers do not have any legit players for the future. Staal impressed me so much in training camp this year I think it is almost certain he will make the club next year, and make an impact at that. I think he will be able to win a couple of more games with someone legit at defense.

EDIT: What does HF have to say about Staal? I am sure if they did current rankings, Staal would definitley be near top of the list. I mean, he was ranked by some teams to go 3rd in the draft, no?

Old
01-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
I hate to say it but this team is one of the most poorly constructed, or maybe most unlikeable, team I've ever seen. If we didn't have our 3rd-4th lines, Prucha, Jagr and Lundqvist, I shudder to think of what we'd see.

IMO there's just something about the team still that I hate.

Old
01-06-2006, 08:05 AM
Nich

did anyone else here JD say that his coach said that he will step into the NHL next year without a problem?

and leave it to an atlanta fan to not knowing anything about sports......typical really.

Old
01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
nyray

Maloney did say on the Blueshirt show last night that there is a good chance
Staal wil be in NY next year. It was a decent segment, he reviewd several prospects and talked about there chances of helping in the near term future

Old
01-06-2006, 08:51 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Other than Lundqvist and Staal the Rangers do not have any legit players for the future. Staal impressed me so much in training camp this year I think it is almost certain he will make the club next year, and make an impact at that. I think he will be able to win a couple of more games with someone legit at defense.

EDIT: What does HF have to say about Staal? I am sure if they did current rankings, Staal would definitley be near top of the list. I mean, he was ranked by some teams to go 3rd in the draft, no?
So this whole Prucha thing is just a passing fad in your opinion?

Old
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Why is there an age requirement for the AHL anyway? Is it business related?

It's basically to save the Junior Programs from being destroyed. Basically it is saying that if a player is good enough to turn pro he has to be good enough to play in the NHL. If not then let him continue developing in Juniors until he's 20. If NHL teams were allowed to put their best players in their farm teams at age 18, Juniors would have no starpower to survive.

Old
01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
I have been down on this team and it's system as much as anybody, but I have to disagree.

Lundqvist has a bright future.

Staal for all reports has a bright future.

Prucha has been a huge find. Even beyond his scoring he impresses me with his hustle, willingness to take the body, his intelligence, and his position (especially how he moves without the puck).

Ortmeyer has made me something of a believe as well. He is a lot smarter now than he was his previous season. And while he has not developed any offensive touch, he is a much better player now than he was. He still works hard but is more effective. And he has developed into a legitimate NHL penalty killer. And there is a place for that on any NHL team.

Hollweg has shown that he can play at this level. He hits and skates well. Is fearless and a hard worker. Could be an excellent role player on the fourth line.