HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal Voted Defenseman of the Tournament!

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Nich

vCash: 500
plus tuts has been realllllllllllllllllll good as of late.

and that penalty call last night was sooooo bs.

Old
01-06-2006, 09:13 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
We all know Sather's done a ;ousy job. Up to this point it has all been done with smoke and mirrors and this team is a house of cards. No good young players, poor selection of vets. The goaltending is down right lucky. Prucha is just a flash in the pan. Tyutin is a waste. Moore isn't a scorer. Who cares if he's a great penalty killer. Anyone can kill penalties. Holloweg is just a small goon.
Our drafts have been horrible. We have a bunch of 4th liners and 6th defensemen and career AHLers in our system. Montoya is a bust. I could go on and on. Last two drafts have been horrible, next years will be about the same.
LOL. When I've reduced you to this because you can't counter the actual point, I'd say my work here is done.

Ciao!

Old
01-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Nich

lol...hey man...you don't have to. anyone who calls a 20 y.o. goalie a bust obviously knows jack about hockey.

Old
01-06-2006, 09:18 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Hate to say this, but the team that really looks good for the future is the Flyers. Carter, Richards, Umberger, Pittkanen, Downie......Speaking of Umberger, didn't someone say we need size up front? Think he could look good on the other side of Prucha on the 2nd line right now?
Yeah Clarke has come a long way from his early philosophy of size, size, size. IMO he's become one of the best GMs in the league. It's no surprise that the Flyers were pre-season Vegas favorites to win it all. Consider that they beat the Rangers while missing half of their top-4 defensive pairings and Primeau. If they walked into the building as healthy as the Senators were when the Blueshirts played them, lasy night's score would have been much worse. The difference between the two teams is clear.

Old
01-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Hate to say this, but the team that really looks good for the future is the Flyers. Carter, Richards, Umberger, Pittkanen, Downie......Speaking of Umberger, didn't someone say we need size up front? Think he could look good on the other side of Prucha on the 2nd line right now?
Umberger is no power forward. Size upfront means nothing if a guy doesn't use it.

Old
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
BlackRanger

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/01/251162.html
heres a link

Old
01-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Kluivert4Ever

This will never happen, but Staal should go an play in the Swedish Elite League.
It is acctually the perfect place between AHL and NHL and the schedule is not that demanding either.

I would love for Rockstrom to try and convince a Swedish team to have him for a year.

Old
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Some of our fellow board experts say that playing in the WJC and doing well guarantees nothing.
Ok, I'll bite. What does doing well in the WJC "gaurantee"?

Last edited by Melrose_Jr.: 01-06-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old
01-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Ok, I'll bite. What does doing well in the WJC "[b]gaurantee[b/]"?

I believe it guarantees one thing, that you have talent.
What you do with that talent is up to you.

Old
01-06-2006, 11:25 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Yeah Clarke has come a long way from his early philosophy of size, size, size. IMO he's become one of the best GMs in the league. It's no surprise that the Flyers were pre-season Vegas favorites to win it all. Consider that they beat the Rangers while missing half of their top-4 defensive pairings and Primeau. If they walked into the building as healthy as the Senators were when the Blueshirts played them, lasy night's score would have been much worse. The difference between the two teams is clear.
The Rangers should've won in regulation. How do you know that the Flyers would've won with those players playing if we actually had Lundqvist in net? Yesterday the difference wasn't clear. 5 on 5 we definately outplayed them. I think that some Rangers fans are pessimistic just to be pessimistic. What game were you watching we outplayed the Flyers and you're making it look like they killed us or something. Honestly if I saw the game yesterday not knowing what teams played I'd say the team in blue was better. I'm not saying we ARE better, but I don't see how the difference is clear and we lost but we lost in OT, you're making it sound we lost by 3 and if those guys played we'd lose by 6. I just don't understand this self-deprecating approach by Rangers fans. Oh and another thing, you made it sound like them beating a team was such a big deal, they've been doing it for a while, however yesterday they won and were outplayed and didn't show to be the better team in the game (the record proves otherwise and thus they ARE the better team but this BS that the difference is clear is just that BS).

Old
01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

I agree that Clarke is one of the best GM's or has the best scouts. Probably a combination of both. One thing that Clarke has been doing lately is trading away players for high draft picks. He then uses those picks to trade up or select talent they believe will make the NHL. Of those players mentioned, most have been drafted within the last few years. That could be us soon. I believe Montoya, Korpikoski, Staal, Sauer, Dubinsky and eventually Jessiman will make a great core of solid young players. Another good draft will make our future even brighter. I think Maloney and others within our organization know which young players to target. I think Scout Tim Murray will be a great addition to the upcoming draft.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
BigE

There isn't a better first round GM in the league than Bobby Clarke; Lou Lam finishing a close second.

In terms of Sather regime, I tend to believe that few teams in the NHL had a better draft than the Rangers. It's always an issue of debate whether or not Sather is responsible for player selection. I think anyone doubting that he's involved at all should give their head a shake, but I also tend to believe that Don Maloney and Tom Renney in addition to Brown, Rockerstrom, and this year Murray, are the ones with the priority opinions.

Downie looks like another solid pick for Philadelphia in the first round, and you can't deny their pension for picking solid players in the later numbers.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Don't forget about Jan Go, he's been instrumental in getting us some players as well.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:06 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
The Rangers should've won in regulation.
And did they?

Quote:
How do you know that the Flyers would've won with those players playing if we actually had Lundqvist in net?
I'm not paticularly interested in a game of "what if," but if you'd like to play be my guest. What I can tell you is that having Lundqvist in the lineup makes the Rangers better defensively. Having Pitkanen, Desjardins, and Primeau in the lineup make the Flyers substantially better both offensively and defensively.

Quote:
Yesterday the difference wasn't clear. 5 on 5 we definately outplayed them.
The difference was clear and the fact that the Rangers outplayed them yet still lost is exactly what makes it clear. The Rangers don't have enough to contend with the Flyers, and it's not pessimism to say that. It is the simple truth.

Quote:
we outplayed the Flyers and you're making it look like they killed us or something.
If you read my post that way you shouldn't. I'm just stating the fact that a Flyers team hit very hard by injury and outplayed by the Rangers beat the Rangers on the road halfway through the league's longest roadtrip. When you can do that to another team you're showing just how much better you are.

Quote:
I just don't understand this self-deprecating approach by Rangers fans.
Stating that another is better is not deprecation. It is not a comment on the Rangers except in relation to another team. Three years ago the Flyers were also better than the Rangers . The difference was clear. Have I just "deprecated" that Ranger team?

Quote:
Oh and another thing, you made it sound like them beating a team was such a big deal, they've been doing it for a while, however yesterday they won and were outplayed and didn't show to be the better team in the game (the record proves otherwise and thus they ARE the better team but this BS that the difference is clear is just that BS).
I find this confusing but you need not clarify it. I've offended you by saying the Flyers are clearly better, and I apologize. The Rangers are just as good if Lundqvist is in goal.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
There isn't a better first round GM in the league than Bobby Clarke; Lou Lam finishing a close second.
In the end, that is what can make or break a draft. There was a seeming 5-7 year period where every single first rounder did not work out. Had the Rangers managed to get themselves that talent to couple with Staal, Montoya, and the late rounders, the Rangers farm system would be very dangerous.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
If you read my post that way you shouldn't. I'm just stating the fact that a Flyers team hit very hard by injury and outplayed by the Rangers beat the Rangers on the road halfway through the league's longest roadtrip. When you can do that to another team you're showing just how much better you are.
I've seen this a bunch of times recently with the TBAY and now PHI losses in OT. Haven't we said this a bunch of times for our own team earlier in the season? I think the Florida game was a game where it was said. "Oh yea, good teams find a way to win. The Rangers just did that with Moore's goal and an OT win in a game they should have lost."

How quickly things change.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Nich

i think this past draft we've gotten those late rounders

Old
01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
McRanger

Maybe I'm missing something here, but is this really a big deal?

The Flyers beat us in our own building while missing alot of great players. So? Does anyone here really rank the Rangers up there with the likes of the Flyers or the Sens anyway? I certainly dont. The Rangers are a good team, a playoff team. Hell, they might even be able to win a series. But the Rangers are not an elite team, especially when Weekes is in goal.

I will take a point from the Flyers anyday.

As for Staal,

Doing great at the WJCs doesnt prove anything, in fact short of actually proving it in the NHL (and even that could be a fluke) its always hit or miss. But since this is Hockeys Future, and as far as I know noone here can see the future, I guess we'll just have to use little things like this to make to make our projections.

That being said, I hear good things about this kid Mike Gartner. What consistancy!

Last edited by McRanger: 01-06-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old
01-06-2006, 02:03 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger
Maybe I'm missing something here, but is this really a big deal?

The Flyers beat us in our own building while missing alot of great players. So? Does anyone here really rank the Rangers up there with the likes of the Flyers or the Sens anyway? I certainly dont. The Rangers are a good team, a playoff team. Hell, they might even be able to win a series. But the Rangers are not an elite team, especially when Weekes is in goal.

I will take a point from the Flyers anyday.
I don't understand this injury deal, they've been winning lately anyway. Then again most of their wins were in OT so I guess we're not special, lol. But a point is nice, though I want 2 (and think it should've been 2).

Old
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

dedalus, all I'm saying is going by that game you can't say that the Flyers are clearly better, as you made it sound. They are better, they're 8 games over .500 more than us, so yes they're better. If you saw the predictions on NHL board even when we were in first I picked the Flyers to win the division. I'm not dillusional, they're better, even injured they're better. But as I said, you made it sound like they really outplayed us yesterday and looked clearly better, that's what I thought made it sound like you were being overly-pessimistic and wrong. And if you say they won even with the injuries, well we had one important pseudo-injury that acted like an injury. Our most important player (Lundqvist) wasn't playing. If Lundqvist played we'd most likely win. So at least with the way we played yesterday they weren't clearly better. However, they ARE in reality better (due to their depth even with their injuries), just not based on yesterday.

Old
01-06-2006, 02:14 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

McRanger, why would proving it in the NHL be a fluke? Or did you mean "could"? Anyway, I know it's not 100%, but hit or miss sounds like 50/50, given the draft position, genes, and yes good performance, I think it's more than 50/50. What's wrong with being excited with a good WJC performance? Would igt prove more if he was mediocre?

Old
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
McRanger

Quote:
McRanger, why would proving it in the NHL be a fluke? Or did you mean "could"? Anyway, I know it's not 100%, but hit or miss sounds like 50/50, given the draft position, genes, and yes good performance, I think it's more than 50/50. What's wrong with being excited with a good WJC performance? Would igt prove more if he was mediocre?
Ah sorry, i meant "could". Flashes in the pan happen all the time, with a rookie sometimes you never see that kind of production again. Either way, I was just joking around. Outplaying all those other defenders, not only on Canada which was solid at D, but in the entire tournament, is incredible. I mean in terms of making projections, which is part of the fun of a rebuild, if you cant look at results what can you look at? I can understand the call to stay realistic about Staal, it makes no sense annointing him the new Brian Leetch. Its important to stay realistic, but some people are just so damn pessimistic.

Old
01-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Fletch

Taking a guy at #1, McRanger...

is always hit or miss. Seeing the guy play in an NHL camp, watching him progress at the junior level, and watching him play well in the WJCs are stepping stones and takes out a bit of risk. There's no guarantee he's going to be an NHL superstar, but one should feel better at how he's progressing, and there is no reason to get excited over progressing. This is not much different than your statement 'Rangers are a good team, a playoff team'...they haven't made the playoffs yet - so by your logic, how can you really make that statement? Just as you project that, others will project Staal to be something... And of course in life (or business) without projection, most of the companies traded on exchanges would be valued at zero.

Old
01-06-2006, 03:00 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

NHL Article

Marc Staal named top defenceman at world junior hockey tournament

Quote:
"I didn't really hear anything," the Sudbury Wolves blue-liner from Thunder Bay, Ont., said after Canada's 5-0 victory over Russia in the final. "I just kind of blacked out for a bit." Staal, the younger brother of Carolina Hurricanes forward Eric Staal, had only one assist in the tournament, but he was consistently assigned to shut down opponents' top forwards.

Old
01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
dedalus

Quote:
dedalus, all I'm saying is going by that game you can't say that the Flyers are clearly better, as you made it sound.
Okay we just disagree on this but ...

Quote:
They are better, they're 8 games over .500 more than us, so yes they're better. If you saw the predictions on NHL board even when we were in first I picked the Flyers to win the division. I'm not dillusional, they're better, even injured they're better.
... I don't see how you can write all you've written here (especially "even injured they're better") and not admit the Flyers are clearly better. I guess there's a distinction in your own mind that's not translating well into words because you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Quote:
But as I said, you made it sound like they really outplayed us yesterday and looked clearly better
I'm not saying this to offend you, but I suspect you read my post the way you wanted to read it rather than simply reading what I wrote. I didn't write that they outplayed the Rangers nor that they "looked clearly better." I wrote that "the difference between the two teams is clear." You seem to acknowledge that above. I also wrote that if the Flyers "walked into the building as healthy as the Senators were when the Blueshirts played them, lasy [sic] night's score would have been worse." Given that the Flyers won by a single goal, I'm not sure why you would react to this statement. I expect that between them, Primeau, Desjardins, and Pitkanen would have added a goal and/or negated a Ranger goal. Thus "last night's score would have been worse," no?

Quote:
they ARE in reality better (due to their depth even with their injuries), just not based on yesterday.
Okay we simply read yesterday's game differently. It's my contention that the Flyers' ability to beat the Rangers in spite of their obstacles is proof of what you yourself state: they're deeper and better.

In the end we agree on that basic point.

Closed Thread