HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Rangers make the playoffs?

View Poll Results: Do the Rangers make the playoffs?
Yes 87 83.65%
No 17 16.35%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2006, 08:12 PM
  #51
Kluivert4Ever
Registered User
 
Kluivert4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I do think though, that this might be a .500 team the rest of the way. I personally felt the team highly overachieved to start the season and that next year's team has a chance to be an actually better team.

I agree, I think we will finish anywhere between 90-95 points.

Kluivert4Ever is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 08:16 PM
  #52
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Take a guess my friend, could it be your statements that a "A loss is a loss" and "Look, losing is losing whether they get blown out or tank it 7 seconds into overtime."

I said that there is a difference if you lose in OT or getting blown out, one point worth a difference.


I understand what you are saying otherwise regarding our play, but is a bit categorical to simply say that a loss is a loss whether you get blown out or lose in OT, because at the end of the day what puts us into the post season could be that one game we lost in OT instead of getting blown out.

The OT argument was being used against me to disprove my statement that we had to play better or risk losing a berth. I am not disagreeing with the facts. I don't disagree that there is a numerical difference between losing in regulation and losing in OT...we're all onboard the same train of thought there. They received points in the last three but are on a three game losing streak. In that sense, a loss is a loss. They're losing, whether they've been blown out or have lost it in over time. They have a problem that needs correcting because we're losing ground in the standings. Maybe in the grand scheme of things these three points will get us into the POs. I'll take the points, but please consider the flip side of your argument...that failing to beat Pitts/TB could just as easily cost two crucial points. At the end of the day the team is nursing a losing streak and has to pick it up. They're losers of 7 out of 10. It's like a contestant betting all but a dollar on the final Jeopardy question and getting it wrong. Yeah, he walks away with an extra dollar in his pocket and maybe that dollar buys him a lottery ticket that wins him millions, but he still lost at Jeopardy...baaaaaby...woooo hooo hooo hoooo (sorry, I couldn't help myself. Every time I hear the word Jeopardy that damn song pops into my head).


Last edited by Shadowtron: 01-06-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 08:46 PM
  #53
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,543
vCash: 500
One has to think that, because of how well this team played for the first half fof the season, the playoffs are well within reach. I personally feel that they will make it, and even if they do face Ottawa or Philly in the first round will atleast put up a good fight.

That being said, if they somehow manage to finish 9th or 10th in the East it will be absolutely devastating. I would much rather this team lose every game from here on out than to just miss the playoffs, because hovering in the middle is not an option for a rebuilding team. The experience of even one playoff round makes such a huge difference between 8th and 9th this year.

Synergy27 is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 08:56 PM
  #54
Shadowtron
Registered User
 
Shadowtron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 5,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27

That being said, if they somehow manage to finish 9th or 10th in the East it will be absolutely devastating. I would much rather this team lose every game from here on out than to just miss the playoffs, because hovering in the middle is not an option for a rebuilding team. The experience of even one playoff round makes such a huge difference between 8th and 9th this year.
That's what has me concerned. You figure Atlanta beats Pitts tonight, which gives them sole possession of 8th with 44 pts. If Toronot beats calgary (which I don't think they will), that puts the Rangers into a tie for 5th. There isn't a whole hell of a lot of wiggle room. This isn't going to be a slam dunk. If they go .500 the rest of the way they MAY make it. But it'll be close.

Shadowtron is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
  #55
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I think Lundqvist and Jagr we'll keep us competiive with any team if we make the playoffs.

I want our young guys to experience playoff atmosphere in the NHL and not in Hartford like they usually have to.

They'll know what to expect next year.
Could you imagine if the Rangers didn't get blown out by Ottawa. No way they beat them in a 7 game series but they could take two games againts them. All they would need is Jagr to carry the team and Lundqvist to get hot. (Both could happen.) Boston has beaten Ottawa twice this season.



Playoff experiance for the team would speed up the rebuild. (in my opinion)

This team does need to start winning some close again though. It's nice they are losing in overtime and getting something (which can't be looked past) but a win is a win.

Maybe TB is right.

Jagr needs to rearrange his entourage and rank Nylander ahead of Rozsival. That way Rozsvial can get scratched!

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
  #56
Kluivert4Ever
Registered User
 
Kluivert4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Yeah, he walks away with an extra dollar in his pocket and maybe that dollar buys him a lottery ticket that wins him millions, but he still lost at Jeopardy...baaaaaby...woooo hooo hooo hoooo (sorry, I couldn't help myself. Every time I hear the word Jeopardy that damn song pops into my head).

Haha, well thats an interesting analogy anyway
But I rather walk away with that one dollar than nothing at all, okey IŽll stop now

Of course, we can end up missing a playoffs because we did not win those OT games, which is pretty much my point, that every point will count.
So the difference is just as big if we lose in OT or win in OT as if we get blown out or just go to OT. No matter what,that single point we either win or lose could and I must say, probably will turn out to be huge.

Kluivert4Ever is offline  
Old
01-06-2006, 09:22 PM
  #57
Kluivert4Ever
Registered User
 
Kluivert4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
One has to think that, because of how well this team played for the first half fof the season, the playoffs are well within reach. I personally feel that they will make it, and even if they do face Ottawa or Philly in the first round will atleast put up a good fight.

That being said, if they somehow manage to finish 9th or 10th in the East it will be absolutely devastating. I would much rather this team lose every game from here on out than to just miss the playoffs, because hovering in the middle is not an option for a rebuilding team. The experience of even one playoff round makes such a huge difference between 8th and 9th this year.

Which is why ALL point matters

I think it will be very tough, like I said I think we will get around 90-95 points, most likely it will take probably 93-95 to get in, so no there is not a whole lot of room there. Tomorrow is a must win.

Kluivert4Ever is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 01:32 AM
  #58
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,374
vCash: 500
We'll have to do better than 500 hockey to get 95 pts. We have 3 games vs. Ottawa and 6 vs. the Flyers and I think 2 vs. the Canes in the 2nd half. Not that it can't be done but it doesn't look easy to me. We're treading water right now--giving up as many points as we're getting --and we need to start winning more often if we are going to do it.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 04:13 AM
  #59
RANGER#11
Registered User
 
RANGER#11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, New York
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and Hasek can still steal a game or two - that may end up being the difference.
I agree about Hasek. I have seen to many udbelieveable things from him. Eventhough I think in time Tootan will make A fine point man,utile then I feel we are laking there I hate to bring up a tired subject but a healthy Leetch sure would be nice. And we could allways use another good scorer to take some presure off Jagr. I dont know if the answer is nessisarily bringing in someon els in or hope that one of are guys get hot which I could easiy see happen. All that I have said is for us to go deep in the playoffs. But as far as getting in I do think we will.

RANGER#11 is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 08:04 AM
  #60
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Jagr needs to rearrange his entourage and rank Nylander ahead of Rozsival. That way Rozsvial can get scratched!
Now that's funny.

True Blue is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 09:46 AM
  #61
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
IMO Edge has it. This is essentially a .500 team and they are playing like that now. They had an excellent start, and if they can play to what they are, that start should be enough to get them in.

dedalus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.