Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Health and Fitness Thread

Old
06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Health and Fitness Thread

Not sure if it's allowed to even make a new OT thread, but I thought maybe we should have one to share ideas on exercise and eating properly.

I was 260 lbs this time last year, and now down to 223. I have finally combined proper eating, cardio/interval, and strength training and it's been working great.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Gonzothe7thDman

vCash: 500
Saw the op and the thread title and was looking for pics of the guns. I'm leaving disappointed

Gonzothe7thDman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Neely08

I have to get back in the saddle. Used to be a gym rat, then the kids, training around a bad back, and then, and then, and then.

You have to love the honesty of children, though. "Daddy? What happened to your six pack?". I blame superhero cartoons w/ fantasy 8 packs.

You can't do it halfway, though. At least that's how my body is, especially past 40. Some people look at a set of dumbbells or a 5 mile run, and they're shredded. Maybe when I was 35, but not now.

However, part of me is ready to cheat. I never did, but knew guys who did. Too much of a goody two-shoes to consider that. But holy shi'ite the results! You want to strangle them.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:47 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I have to get back in the saddle. Used to be a gym rat, then the kids, training around a bad back, and then, and then, and then.

You have to love the honesty of children, though. "Daddy? What happened to your six pack?". I blame superhero cartoons w/ fantasy 8 packs.

You can't do it halfway, though. At least that's how my body is, especially past 40. Some people look at a set of dumbbells or a 5 mile run, and they're shredded. Maybe when I was 35, but not now.

However, part of me is ready to cheat. I never did, but knew guys who did. Too much of a goody two-shoes to consider that. But holy shi'ite the results! You want to strangle them.
I see it at my gym, the guys who come in then huge in seconds it seems. They are pretty vocal about it with each other as well, so you over hear a lot of things. I'm 46 and realize I will get to a point where nothing will change regardless, and I agree it's awfully tempting.

Old
06-06-2016, 09:48 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post
Saw the op and the thread title and was looking for pics of the guns. I'm leaving disappointed
Haha..How have you been? Are we still living parallel lives only separated by years?

Old
06-06-2016, 09:52 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
There's a main boards fitness tread, but I think this is a great idea.

I got braces a few months ago. Between that and student teaching plus working two part time jobs, I wasn't getting enough calories and had cut back to lifting 4 days a week. I dropped down below 155 at one point.

I'm back to 6 days a week lifting plus playing hockey. My wife has gotten into running so I've done a 5K and a 3K with her. I finished 27th out of 211 in the Fisher Cats 3K. I'm back up to about 165-170 and my squat and deadlift have both increased. My bench has plateaued again though. I've tried everything to increase it and I just don't think it's gonna happen so I'm not gonna let it get me down.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Not sure if it's allowed to even make a new OT thread, but I thought maybe we should have one to share ideas on exercise and eating properly.

I was 260 lbs this time last year, and now down to 223. I have finally combined proper eating, cardio/interval, and strength training and it's been working great.
Lou, What is your proper eating. What type of foods you're eating now.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:58 AM
sarge88

Played sports my entire life until about 3 years ago - but never "worked out" or even exercised aside from games or practices.

I'm 46 now and simply cannot get myself to do anything physical.....I hate exercising with a passion. The bad back, hips and soreness that I get in my knees and ankles whenever I do anything more than walk doesn't help either.

Luckily, weight has never been a problem. I'm 5'9" - 165 and have been at this weight for 15 years.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:01 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzothe7thDman View Post

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:06 AM
BigGoalBrad*

Im gonna head out and play some pickup in 20 mins. Sadly the nice weather should mean no goalie and not the best work out but thats OK.

BigGoalBrad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:08 AM
BNHL

Was also a gym rat,for sports and because of the neighborhood I lived my life in. Peaked at a 315 bench press,I am 170 pounds,was running 35 miles a week and playing hockey 3 hours a week. Then knee surgery,neck surgery and heart surgery. You can work out til the sun don't shine,if you don't eat right,the grim reaper will come knockin sooner than you want. If I could do it over,I'd do less weights,more stretching,and vary the angles of the exercises and above all,eat bettet. 90 Deg workouts don't translate to life

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:10 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Lou, What is your proper eating. What type of foods you're eating now.
Trying to eat food in its purest form. Sugar (cakes, cookies, ice cream, candy) is out for the most part if not a special occasion..lots of greens, skinless chicken breasts, filet mignon (or lean cuts of beef) and a serving of pistachios, sun flower seeds and edamame. I also drink about 200 oz of water per day. My "snack" is cheerios .. My lunch is now peanut butter on whole grain bread instead of cheesesteaks or some other 1000 calories meal. Plus, no more cheezits after seeing three handfuls were like 600 calories.

It's good to get a blood test before starting and you can see where you are lacking. I had testosterone at like 200 and that makes it virtually impossible to lose weight or have energy so with some changes it's now over 800. My vitamin D was also very low so got that up and it helped with energy.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
There's a main boards fitness tread, but I think this is a great idea.

I got braces a few months ago. Between that and student teaching plus working two part time jobs, I wasn't getting enough calories and had cut back to lifting 4 days a week. I dropped down below 155 at one point.

I'm back to 6 days a week lifting plus playing hockey. My wife has gotten into running so I've done a 5K and a 3K with her. I finished 27th out of 211 in the Fisher Cats 3K. I'm back up to about 165-170 and my squat and deadlift have both increased. My bench has plateaued again though. I've tried everything to increase it and I just don't think it's gonna happen so I'm not gonna let it get me down.
This happens to everyone, especially people doing a lot of cardio. Are you getting enough protein? Are you switching up chest exercises? If your straight bar max has plateaued, go to dumbbells for a few weeks and don't even look at a straight bar. Also, too much straight bar, especially declines is a recipe for ***** ****, or moobs.

Also, I used to train my tri's, bi's, and forearms on a different day. That helped my bench a ton. Tri's and chest in the same day kills your bench, or whatever you hit first.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Was also a gym rat,for sports and because of the neighborhood I lived my life in. Peaked at a 315 bench press,I am 170 pounds,was running 35 miles a week and playing hockey 3 hours a week. Then knee surgery,neck surgery and heart surgery. You can work out til the sun don't shine,if you don't eat right,the grim reaper will come knockin sooner than you want. If I could do it over,I'd do less weights,more stretching,and vary the angles of the exercises and above all,eat bettet. 90 Deg workouts don't translate to life
Yes, it's all about the food at 90%. What is your food groups.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:14 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
This happens to everyone, especially people doing a lot of cardio. Are you getting enough protein? Are you switching up chest exercises? If your straight bar max has plateaued, go to dumbbells for a few weeks and don't even look at a straight bar. Also, too much straight bar, especially declines is a recipe for ***** ****, or moobs.

Also, I used to train my tri's, bi's, and forearms on a different day. That helped my bench a ton. Tri's and chest in the same day kills your bench, or whatever you hit first.
I've actually cut most of the cardio. I run maybe once a week with the wife.

I'm doing 200g of protein a day. 2,500 calories. I skipped the regular bench for a week and did dumbbells. I do 3 day splits. Day 1 is chest only and I do the rest of my arms and back on day 2 and legs on day 3.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:15 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Well said. This is where I'm really doing things differently. Instead of a simple bench press, do four different angles of it. Shoulders too. I have really worked on my legs for once as well and destroying old benchmarks. The interval training is key as well, as my trainer works in crossfit type exercises, plyo and wind sprints. She used to tell me I was the most out of shape in shape looking person she ever saw, but now I can keep up with her on some things.

The eating right is paramount though like you said.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:19 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Played sports my entire life until about 3 years ago - but never "worked out" or even exercised aside from games or practices.

I'm 46 now and simply cannot get myself to do anything physical.....I hate exercising with a passion. The bad back, hips and soreness that I get in my knees and ankles whenever I do anything more than walk doesn't help either.

Luckily, weight has never been a problem. I'm 5'9" - 165 and have been at this weight for 15 years.
I've got a bad back & knee and I always hated exercising too, it bores me to pieces when it isn't causing me pain. So maybe you can do what I do- I do what I can do until my body tells me to stop. I walk a mile a day, and 2 miles Saturday & Sunday. I'm also doing more do it yourself projects around the house & office property. It all counts as exercise and you accomplish something at the same time. This past weekend I shampooed the carpet in the office which burned up a ton of calories between shampooing & moving some of the furniture. Tonight I will be mowing & weed whacking the lawn.

Walking is excellent if you have a bad back, it really strengthens the muscles. I still have to be careful about what I do but I have noticed a definite improvement in my back's overall health. I honestly recommend it as a starting point for people who have back/knee issues or who haven't exercised a long time. I also take glucosamine and that has helped too although YMMV, for some people it works and others it doesn't.

Remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. Start slow and work your way up to doing more.

I'm 53 btw.

Last edited by BMC: 06-06-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old
06-06-2016, 10:20 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I've actually cut most of the cardio. I run maybe once a week with the wife.

I'm doing 200g of protein a day. 2,500 calories. I skipped the regular bench for a week and did dumbbells. I do 3 day splits. Day 1 is chest only and I do the rest of my arms and back on day 2 and legs on day 3.
Cutting out the cardio must really give you some nice gains. I was (and am still) just too big. Too much fat and bulk on my body, so I do my lifting then I do cardio which has seemed to sculpt me a little better. have a lonngggggg way to go, but I envision where I want to be and what I want to look like and so far so good.

I'm looking at it more as a life long commitment then just for the summer or whatever. I'm ready to go 7 days at week at 5 am, it's become natural.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:23 AM
JRull86

I really need to start working out. I've always been someone who can eat like absolute crap, but it never showed up physically. I've finally gotten to the point where that isn't possible anymore. Not to mention that stuff that you can't see like low vitamin D, etc. Regardless I just need to start looking better, and actually be truly in shape for the first time in a long time. Not so much into the big muscle thing, but just in general.

That being said, it's so hard to find the time to do so with my current job. I work 9-7, with a 45 minute commute each way. My day from waking up until getting home is 13 hours. The last thing I want to do when I get home is go to the gym since I have to make dinner at 8pm already. It's also nearly impossible for me to wake up earlier than I already do, so an early AM gym routine is pretty much out of the question.

I don't know how to go about tackling this.

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:33 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Cutting out the cardio must really give you some nice gains. I was (and am still) just too big. Too much fat and bulk on my body, so I do my lifting then I do cardio which has seemed to sculpt me a little better. have a lonngggggg way to go, but I envision where I want to be and what I want to look like and so far so good.

I'm looking at it more as a life long commitment then just for the summer or whatever. I'm ready to go 7 days at week at 5 am, it's become natural.
That's exactly the key. It's a lifestyle and not a fad or a temporary thing. I track everything I eat with an app. I treat myself every once in a while. Last night I killed a small pizza after hockey, but I'm mostly a creature of habit and stick to routine. I go to the gym at the same time every day. I eat the same breakfast every day. I try to eliminate as many variables as possible. It lends itself to my obsessive personality which I've tried to channel into a positive thing. It was really hard upping my calories because I'd stuck to cutting for so long. I have wicked "fat kid" syndrome because I was heavy all through middle and high school and into my first couple of years of college.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
I really need to start working out. I've always been someone who can eat like absolute crap, but it never showed up physically. I've finally gotten to the point where that isn't possible anymore. Not to mention that stuff that you can't see like low vitamin D, etc. Regardless I just need to start looking better, and actually be truly in shape for the first time in a long time. Not so much into the big muscle thing, but just in general.

That being said, it's so hard to find the time to do so with my current job. I work 9-7, with a 45 minute commute each way. My day from waking up until getting home is 13 hours. The last thing I want to do when I get home is go to the gym since I have to make dinner at 8pm already. It's also nearly impossible for me to wake up earlier than I already do, so an early AM gym routine is pretty much out of the question.

How much time do you have for lunch? If you've got a half hour, go for a walk. I can't tell you how energized I feel when I've walked a mile every day for a week. It is amazing. The trouble is getting it in with work & weather issues. I've been going on my lunch time but I'm going to switch to the early evening after work, it is getting too hot out there.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:34 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post

The only time that I can you being able to do it is the AM. I used to hit the gym at 630pm then get home at 8pm and then eat and try to sleep which was virtually impossible.

The mornings are difficult at first, but it becomes second nature. Morning people at the gym I have found are usually nicer and more encouraging. My trainer gave me a "test" of doing 21 straight days in a row of working out, and then 30 days of no added sugar or sweets/cakes.. It was incredibly hard but now has become habit. I go to bed at about 930-10 and get up 445 or so. Weekends, are later on both ends. I can honestly say once it becomes part of your life routine it will be amazing. It's tough at first. You want to quit or not do it. One day off becomes three. You have to commit 110% to it and go when you're tired, sore and all that.

maybe start off slow. Try to do it three days a week. Just to get used to going.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:36 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I've got a bad back & knee and I always hated exercising too, it bores me to pieces when it isn't causing me pain. So maybe you can do what I do- I do what I can do until my body tells me to stop. I walk a mile a day, and 2 miles Saturday & Sunday. I'm also doing more do it yourself projects around the house & office property. It all counts as exercise and you accomplish something at the same time. This past weekend I shampooed the carpet in the office which burned up a ton of calories between shampooing & moving some of the furniture. Tonight I will be mowing & weed whacking the lawn.

Walking is excellent if you have a bad back, it really strengthens the muscles. I still have to be careful about what I do but I have noticed a definite improvement in my back's overall health. I honestly recommend it as a starting point for people who have back/knee issues or who haven't exercised a long time. I also take glucosamine and that has helped too although YMMV, for some people it works and others it doesn't.

Remember it is a marathon and not a sprint. Start slow and work your way up to doing more.

I'm 53 btw.
Fantastic advice, and very true.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
smithformeragent

When I was student teaching for six months, I'd get up at 5, go lift, teach history all day. Teach tech Ed during my prep and then run after school program til 6pm. It ****ing sucked. You'd be surprised how early you can wake up though. It sucks for the first week, but you adjust. I am useless at night, though. I don't know how anyone can do the gym at night. Everyone is different. Baby steps.

Old
06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
ATF1230

Currently weighing around 215 lbs in clothes. Earlier in the year, we did a Biggest Loser contest at work, where I went from 235 to 194 over the course of 3 months. Right now, I'm lifting 4 times a week, and looking to add a 5th for legs once my hip heals up, doing cardio, arms and abs Monday - Thursday mornings before work and playing hockey again Friday nights, though the contract for the rink time is about to end, but hopefully will be renewed

Diet is improving. I bought a house 2 months ago, so ordering lunches and dinners every day isn't in the budget anymore. A lot of eggs, chicken and rice these days.

ATF1230 is online now   Reply With Quote