Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Health and Fitness Thread

Old
06-06-2016, 10:40 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 500
As far as food goes, I work hard at reducing sugars & carbs. I don't always do well but if I have a bad day in that respect I just start over again. For example at one point I drank soda several times a day, now I only drink it once or twice a week and then it is sugar free or diet. I've also cut way back on bread, cake, cookies (oh do I miss Oreos!!!) & doughnuts. But I still have a long way to go.

Portion control is huge for me. I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, it really helps me to not overload at meal time. Drinking tons of water also helps.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:45 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
In the past few years I've put on a lot of weight and generally had lost a lot of stamina.
I've had a history of heart and other issues. But as my age advances I have developed knee and hip issues. No surprise there I guess based on decades of over doing it.

Anyway back in March I really had had it. Saw my Primary Dr.. He sent me to Umass weight ctrl center in Worcester. Great people there. They set a goal of 35 pounds off for me in a year based on my workup and current health. I am aiming for closer to 50.
But all in all its a lifestyle change. And since each life is unique so could be the program. So it's a pound a week for me. Slow and steady.

I have a relatively smart pedometer. I walk a lot. My Cardio and weight docs agreed for me 20 to 30 minutes at an aerobic rate 4 times a week.. Distance didn't count. At first it was agonizing. Now I notice a great difference and sometimes if time allows go for 30 to 45 minutes. I check back in at end of June. at that point on my none walk days I expect to incorporate light weights.

I was given an app to use to track my calories and exercise.. I love this thing and am religious about being honest and keeping daily logs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

damn near anything you buy in a food store or restaurant chain is in there. It's my 'bank account'.

Anyway I started the journey that never ends on March 3rd. To date I've lost 23 pounds. Not a lot but at my age and shape its near half to my goal for this year. So, I'm feeling ok about it.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
I see it at my gym, the guys who come in then huge in seconds it seems. They are pretty vocal about it with each other as well, so you over hear a lot of things. I'm 46 and realize I will get to a point where nothing will change regardless, and I agree it's awfully tempting.
Know all a/b it. "Hey wanna watch that sauna door for us for a sec?"

Me - "Sure. (They start giving each other IM shots) Wow, duuuuh, are you guys all diabetic or something?"

Them - "(Laughs) Uuuuh, no."

My old Gold's had a small boxing gym. Some days I'd burn out on the heavy bag instead of running. This young kid who looked like Brock Lesner Jr. comes up and tells me he's training in mma, had wrestled in HS, and was doing jiu jitsu. However had little to no stand up, and asks me if I can help him. I told him I wasn't qualified to train him, but if he was serious he should find someone who was. But I told him I could show him some things like the heavy bag, some combinations, simple form.

I put the pads on my hands and tell him we're only going for form, and building muscle memory here, no power. After he got the form of a 4 punch combination that ended w/ an uppercut, I told him ok add a little power. HUGE, HUGE mistake. This kid was crushing my joints and literally lifting me off the ground w/ the uppercut.

A couple months later someone told me he was going into his preliminary bout out in LA, and got busted for just a/b everything you could take. I should have known. Turns out he had put on something like 60 to 70 pds of mass in less than a year. Christ, man. If that kid had caught anyone, they would have been dead.

Only way I'd consider it is if my doctor said it was ok. As in my test legitimately dropped b/c I'm an old **** now. That or I could wear a pair of my wife's panties to my next physical, and load some barry manilow onto my iphone. Then say, "I just haven't felt like myself." And wait for the script pad to come out.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 10:55 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Breakfast

2-3 eggs
Oatmeal with brown sugar
Whey protein shake

Lunch
Steak/chicken over Mexican rice with salad or grilled veggies

Afternoon protein shake

Dinner
Steak/chicken breast/lean hamburger
Salad/vegetable soup
Brown rice

Dessert
Another protein shake

No drinking
No soda
Water/club soda
Black coffee

If I snack, it's typically something like chips and salsa. Once a week, I'll share a small popcorn with the wife at the movies. If we go out to eat, I always try to start with salad and fill up in that. I'll eat all my veggies, then all the protein and by the time I get to the carbs, I'm mostly full.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:00 AM
JRull86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF1230 View Post
Currently weighing around 215 lbs in clothes. Earlier in the year, we did a Biggest Loser contest at work, where I went from 235 to 194 over the course of 3 months. Right now, I'm lifting 4 times a week, and looking to add a 5th for legs once my hip heals up, doing cardio, arms and abs Monday - Thursday mornings before work and playing hockey again Friday nights, though the contract for the rink time is about to end, but hopefully will be renewed

Diet is improving. I bought a house 2 months ago, so ordering lunches and dinners every day isn't in the budget anymore. A lot of eggs, chicken and rice these days.
Yeah I order out way too much as well. And with the taxes in Sandwich (if that's where you bought) I don't blame you for it not being in the budget (I work here).

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:12 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Breakfast

2-3 eggs
Oatmeal with brown sugar
Whey protein shake

Lunch
Steak/chicken over Mexican rice with salad or grilled veggies

Afternoon protein shake

Dinner
Steak/chicken breast/lean hamburger
Salad/vegetable soup
Brown rice

Dessert
Another protein shake

No drinking
No soda
Water/club soda
Black coffee

If I snack, it's typically something like chips and salsa. Once a week, I'll share a small popcorn with the wife at the movies. If we go out to eat, I always try to start with salad and fill up in that. I'll eat all my veggies, then all the protein and by the time I get to the carbs, I'm mostly full.
I don't see beer.

I'm out.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Richard Murray
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to Richard Murray
If you live in the Allston/Brighton area, I'd recommend checking out After Burn at Beacon Hill Athletic Club on Comm Ave (Cleveland Circle location). It's high intensity interval training. I find it to be pretty fun. They strap a heart rate monitor on your chest too, which tracks how hard you're working, how many calories you burn etc. I burn like 800-1000 calories a class. Kicks my ass.

They change the work outs up. Sometimes it's 6 minutes on with a minute off. The common one is 1 minute on, 30 seconds off. Typical class can last between 45 minutes to an hour.

Some workouts you'll see in it: KB Swings, Tiring Flips, Erg, Battle Ropes, Box Jumps, TRX, etc. I'm weird... I find this stuff fun haha.

06-06-2016, 11:17 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
As far as food goes, I work hard at reducing sugars & carbs. I don't always do well but if I have a bad day in that respect I just start over again. For example at one point I drank soda several times a day, now I only drink it once or twice a week and then it is sugar free or diet. I've also cut way back on bread, cake, cookies (oh do I miss Oreos!!!) & doughnuts. But I still have a long way to go.

Portion control is huge for me. I use a salad plate instead of a dinner plate, it really helps me to not overload at meal time. Drinking tons of water also helps.
You are doing great, well done.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:19 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Murray View Post
If you live in the Allston/Brighton area, I'd recommend checking out After Burn at Beacon Hill Athletic Club on Comm Ave (Cleveland Circle location). It's high intensity interval training. I find it to be pretty fun. They strap a heart rate monitor on your chest too, which tracks how hard you're working, how many calories you burn etc. I burn like 800-1000 calories a class. Kicks my ass.

They change the work outs up. Sometimes it's 6 minutes on with a minute off. The common one is 1 minute on, 30 seconds off. Typical class can last between 45 minutes to an hour.

Some workouts you'll see in it: KB Swings, Tiring Flips, Erg, Battle Ropes, Box Jumps, TRX, etc. I'm weird... I find this stuff fun haha.
Some good sounding stuff. I've done some of it and it burns the calories but is truly tough work. It is fun though.

Old
06-06-2016, 11:21 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
In the past few years I've put on a lot of weight and generally had lost a lot of stamina.
I've had a history of heart and other issues. But as my age advances I have developed knee and hip issues. No surprise there I guess based on decades of over doing it.

Anyway back in March I really had had it. Saw my Primary Dr.. He sent me to Umass weight ctrl center in Worcester. Great people there. They set a goal of 35 pounds off for me in a year based on my workup and current health. I am aiming for closer to 50.
But all in all its a lifestyle change. And since each life is unique so could be the program. So it's a pound a week for me. Slow and steady.

I have a relatively smart pedometer. I walk a lot. My Cardio and weight docs agreed for me 20 to 30 minutes at an aerobic rate 4 times a week.. Distance didn't count. At first it was agonizing. Now I notice a great difference and sometimes if time allows go for 30 to 45 minutes. I check back in at end of June. at that point on my none walk days I expect to incorporate light weights.

I was given an app to use to track my calories and exercise.. I love this thing and am religious about being honest and keeping daily logs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

damn near anything you buy in a food store or restaurant chain is in there. It's my 'bank account'.

Anyway I started the journey that never ends on March 3rd. To date I've lost 23 pounds. Not a lot but at my age and shape its near half to my goal for this year. So, I'm feeling ok about it.
Damn dude congrats. That is fantastic. My fitness pal is great. You can even put the calories burned in there from the workouts you do.

Old
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I've actually cut most of the cardio. I run maybe once a week with the wife.

I'm doing 200g of protein a day. 2,500 calories. I skipped the regular bench for a week and did dumbbells. I do 3 day splits. Day 1 is chest only and I do the rest of my arms and back on day 2 and legs on day 3.
I'd switch out day 2 w/ day 3. So day 1 chest, day 2 legs, day 3 tri's, bi's,back. So your tri's have more time to recover and essentially heal. 24-48 hours just isn't enough, and you're pounding your tri's when you're benching.

I was doing basically what you're doing at one point. I started working out w/ body builders, not b/c I necessarily wanted to get giant, I didn't. Simply b/c they khave so much knowledge. I was over training and not getting any results. I went to a simple 5 day work out. Day 1 chest, and nothing but. No more than 45 mins no matter the day, and you're done. Day 2 legs, day 3 back, day 4 shoulders, day 5 arms. And, I started growing and getting sculpted like crazy. It sounded like more, but it was actually less, and I was getting way more out of it.

From there it's easier to see what you need to focus on, and what you want to hit harder. My legs were already massive from hockey, so I never really worried a/b that. Therefore, sometimes I'd substitute another chest day further in the week, and even then made sure I didn't repeat exercises from the previous chest work out that week. Also on chest days, that night before bed and after my last protein drink, I'd do a superset of pushups. Don't underestimate push ups. Just varying the space between your hands can isolate different parts of your chest. Always, always remember to squeeze, too.

Chest is hard, man. It's a hard muscle to isolate. When you see the guys cranking out reps at the gym, and not squeezing, they're cheating themselves. But once you figure it out, you're g2g, and you can see whether you need more incline, less decline, etc etc.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:32 AM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Trying to eat food in its purest form. Sugar (cakes, cookies, ice cream, candy) is out for the most part if not a special occasion..lots of greens, skinless chicken breasts, filet mignon (or lean cuts of beef) and a serving of pistachios, sun flower seeds and edamame. I also drink about 200 oz of water per day. My "snack" is cheerios .. My lunch is now peanut butter on whole grain bread instead of cheesesteaks or some other 1000 calories meal. Plus, no more cheezits after seeing three handfuls were like 600 calories.

It's good to get a blood test before starting and you can see where you are lacking. I had testosterone at like 200 and that makes it virtually impossible to lose weight or have energy so with some changes it's now over 800. My vitamin D was also very low so got that up and it helped with energy.
Any good tips for getting testosterone up? Mine is severely lacking thanks to my meds and kills my drive to do anything..Any advice how to get it higher?

BruinsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 12:14 PM
patty59

My cardio consists of swimming and rowing with a run mixed in every once in a while. I swim a 1 mile 2 or 3 times a week, when I row it's only 2000m then I hit the weights, sometimes I'll do a 5000m row. Me and the c2 have a love hate relationship, anyone who uses one will know what I'm talking about

I go first thing in the morning before work, it's really the only time I can do it and for me it's the best. Like Lou mentioned it sucks at first but once you're in the routine it's second nature.

My diet isn't the best, I do eat a lot of wild meat which helps, but I'm not one to turn down a slice of pizza or a greasy burger.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 12:25 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFTW View Post
Any good tips for getting testosterone up? Mine is severely lacking thanks to my meds and kills my drive to do anything..Any advice how to get it higher?
http://www.webmd.com/men/features/ca...rone-naturally

these all worked for me. I haven't used a script ever for it, but if meds are causing yours to be low you may need a script for it.. If you have a urologist maybe go and see him/her if not, a regular physician can order the blood work and go from there. My free T was always good, it was the combination number that was down.

Old
06-06-2016, 12:28 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
I'd switch out day 2 w/ day 3. So day 1 chest, day 2 legs, day 3 tri's, bi's,back. So your tri's have more time to recover and essentially heal. 24-48 hours just isn't enough, and you're pounding your tri's when you're benching.

I was doing basically what you're doing at one point. I started working out w/ body builders, not b/c I necessarily wanted to get giant, I didn't. Simply b/c they khave so much knowledge. I was over training and not getting any results. I went to a simple 5 day work out. Day 1 chest, and nothing but. No more than 45 mins no matter the day, and you're done. Day 2 legs, day 3 back, day 4 shoulders, day 5 arms. And, I started growing and getting sculpted like crazy. It sounded like more, but it was actually less, and I was getting way more out of it.

From there it's easier to see what you need to focus on, and what you want to hit harder. My legs were already massive from hockey, so I never really worried a/b that. Therefore, sometimes I'd substitute another chest day further in the week, and even then made sure I didn't repeat exercises from the previous chest work out that week. Also on chest days, that night before bed and after my last protein drink, I'd do a superset of pushups. Don't underestimate push ups. Just varying the space between your hands can isolate different parts of your chest. Always, always remember to squeeze, too.

Chest is hard, man. It's a hard muscle to isolate. When you see the guys cranking out reps at the gym, and not squeezing, they're cheating themselves. But once you figure it out, you're g2g, and you can see whether you need more incline, less decline, etc etc.
It's funny when you see those rushing when doing reps. Gotta squeeze continually at the end. Also, I think to do each rep slightly slower than the last. You don't get as many, but the burn is constant.

Old
06-06-2016, 12:59 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner st View Post
Yes, it's all about the food at 90%. What is your food groups.
Pure and simple,no sugar (including fruit),no white flour and no wheat. I don't worry about the fat but I don't eat much red meat at all.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:05 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Well said. This is where I'm really doing things differently. Instead of a simple bench press, do four different angles of it. Shoulders too. I have really worked on my legs for once as well and destroying old benchmarks. The interval training is key as well, as my trainer works in crossfit type exercises, plyo and wind sprints. She used to tell me I was the most out of shape in shape looking person she ever saw, but now I can keep up with her on some things.

The eating right is paramount though like you said.
I could bench 315 at my peak but felt no better when trying to open an MD 80 or 737 engine cowling where I needed the strength. I wished I had varied the angles. Also based on what happened with my neck,back and neck stretching should not be ignored. Beware of muscle tears due to overuse or overexercise,varying routines and rest is vital.

Old
06-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Pure and simple,no sugar (including fruit),no white flour and no wheat. I don't worry about the fat but I don't eat much red meat at all.

Fruit is good for you in small amounts.
Do you eat grains,legumes,dairy.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:09 PM
BNHL

Quote:
My blood sugar (key to all diets)spikes too high on fruit even when blunted with fiber. I do minimal legumes,eat a lot of nuts and greens,limited dairy,no dairy milk.

Old
06-06-2016, 01:26 PM
Kalus

Quote:
I've found, eating fruit sparingly is fine. 2 to 3 cups of berries per week. Berry's have the best good stuff (antioxidants) to bad stuff (sugar) ratios. Stick to blueberries and maybe rasp/black.

Stay away from everything else, especially apples, oranges, and pineapples. Sugar warehouses. You can easily get all the vitamins they have through healthier alternatives.

Oh, while on the subject, no fruit juices! 25g of sugar in a 10oz glass of OJ. And most people would drink more than 10oz in a serving.

Kalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:33 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

I adopted a 'water is your friend, sugar is your enemy diet' and pretty much just wiped out sugar; sugar in coffee, Moon pies from Lyndell's Bakery, ice cream, yada yada....and I noticed a few days in my heart was racing, headaches, feeling like the flu and was realized it was likely the sugar withdrawals. They were all done in less than a 100 hours and I feel great. Weird the difference in how I feel- I'm like rarely tired, I just go on and on, whereas before after drinking a large coffee cream with sugar and sugary snacks I was ready to take a nap at 11 am

just getting into a habit or drinking water and taking out sugar the best you can is huge I've witnessed in others and myself as well...oh, and I had an amazing crulla from Central Bakery in Peabody but it didn't bring back all the desire for sweets I still feel in control- just not make it a part of my life.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:38 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I adopted a 'water is your friend, sugar is your enemy diet' and pretty much just wiped out sugar; sugar in coffee, Moon pies from Lyndell's Bakery, ice cream, yada yada....and I noticed a few days in my heart was racing, headaches, feeling like the flu and was realized it was likely the sugar withdrawals. They were all done in less than a 100 hours and I feel great. Weird the difference in how I feel- I'm like rarely tired, I just go on and on, whereas before after drinking a large coffee cream with sugar and sugary snacks I was ready to take a nap at 11 am

just getting into a habit or drinking water and taking out sugar the best you can is huge I've witnessed in others and myself as well
I remember you and I kicked sugar together and I was a complete mess for a week. Like you I can indulge once in a while now and not crave or eat it continually. I never thought I would be able to do that.

Without sugar I am never tired now. I'll force a decent nap at home every once in a blue, and like a 15 min cat nap in the car at lunch if it's not too hot, but that crash feeling is a real thing.

Old
06-06-2016, 01:41 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I could bench 315 at my peak but felt no better when trying to open an MD 80 or 737 engine cowling where I needed the strength. I wished I had varied the angles. Also based on what happened with my neck,back and neck stretching should not be ignored. Beware of muscle tears due to overuse or overexercise,varying routines and rest is vital.
I've done 250 now, but I will cut back down. I have a neck issue and you can feel it when you consistently push that weight up..

I have an issue with rest. Mentally it makes me depressed without the endorphins and I feel "soft" that day.

Old
06-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
I've found, eating fruit sparingly is fine. 2 to 3 cups of berries per week. Berry's have the best good stuff (antioxidants) to bad stuff (sugar) ratios. Stick to blueberries and maybe rasp/black.

Stay away from everything else, especially apples, oranges, and pineapples. Sugar warehouses. You can easily get all the vitamins they have through healthier alternatives.

Oh, while on the subject, no fruit juices! 25g of sugar in a 10oz glass of OJ. And most people would drink more than 10oz in a serving.
Agree berries are the best. Then there's cherries, pears, melons, kiwi, plums and grapefruit.

The sugar warehouses are fine if its the only sugar you have in a healthy diet.
Worst than sugars found in fruit are all the added sugar disguise in process food and fast food.

Agree on juices or any liquid meal.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 01:58 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I remember you and I kicked sugar together and I was a complete mess for a week. Like you I can indulge once in a while now and not crave or eat it continually. I never thought I would be able to do that.

Without sugar I am never tired now. I'll force a decent nap at home every once in a blue, and like a 15 min cat nap in the car at lunch if it's not too hot, but that crash feeling is a real thing.
Yes. I can eat the occasional sugary snack but I don't like to do it before 3 or late afternoon. It's like taking drugs and alters the way I feel

I've learned just by drinking lots of water and drastically reducing sweets lead to many benefits

Anyone trying to give up sugar give yourself 100 hours and it will be over but their were a few rough days but it will be worth it

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote