Health and Fitness Thread

Old
06-06-2016, 02:04 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
In the past few years I've put on a lot of weight and generally had lost a lot of stamina.
I've had a history of heart and other issues. But as my age advances I have developed knee and hip issues. No surprise there I guess based on decades of over doing it.

Anyway back in March I really had had it. Saw my Primary Dr.. He sent me to Umass weight ctrl center in Worcester. Great people there. They set a goal of 35 pounds off for me in a year based on my workup and current health. I am aiming for closer to 50.
But all in all its a lifestyle change. And since each life is unique so could be the program. So it's a pound a week for me. Slow and steady.

I have a relatively smart pedometer. I walk a lot. My Cardio and weight docs agreed for me 20 to 30 minutes at an aerobic rate 4 times a week.. Distance didn't count. At first it was agonizing. Now I notice a great difference and sometimes if time allows go for 30 to 45 minutes. I check back in at end of June. at that point on my none walk days I expect to incorporate light weights.

I was given an app to use to track my calories and exercise.. I love this thing and am religious about being honest and keeping daily logs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

damn near anything you buy in a food store or restaurant chain is in there. It's my 'bank account'.

Anyway I started the journey that never ends on March 3rd. To date I've lost 23 pounds. Not a lot but at my age and shape its near half to my goal for this year. So, I'm feeling ok about it.
Way to go Wally!!!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 02:05 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
You are doing great, well done.
Thank you!

Old
06-06-2016, 02:20 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I adopted a 'water is your friend, sugar is your enemy diet' and pretty much just wiped out sugar; sugar in coffee, Moon pies from Lyndell's Bakery, ice cream, yada yada....and I noticed a few days in my heart was racing, headaches, feeling like the flu and was realized it was likely the sugar withdrawals. They were all done in less than a 100 hours and I feel great. Weird the difference in how I feel- I'm like rarely tired, I just go on and on, whereas before after drinking a large coffee cream with sugar and sugary snacks I was ready to take a nap at 11 am

just getting into a habit or drinking water and taking out sugar the best you can is huge I've witnessed in others and myself as well...oh, and I had an amazing crulla from Central Bakery in Peabody but it didn't bring back all the desire for sweets I still feel in control- just not make it a part of my life.
I should quit sugar cold turkey like you did. I have tried but I always end up giving in to temptation & then stuffing myself which just makes things worse. I know what you mean about having too much sugar in your body because when I do it slows my metabolism down to an absolute crawl.

On average I drink a half gallon of water a day. It is a great substitute for soda, coffee or tea.

Old
06-06-2016, 02:23 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
I've done 250 now, but I will cut back down. I have a neck issue and you can feel it when you consistently push that weight up..

I have an issue with rest. Mentally it makes me depressed without the endorphins and I feel "soft" that day.
I've got a buddy that works out 14 times a week,no rest,does every run that comes along and travels to do courses and he's about 50. His diet is superb. 2 weeks ago while doing a Navy Seal designed course he separated a shoulder and tore a pec. He's an absolute fool. Theses are injuries that were most likely set up by overuse. He hiked 6 miles the day after the injury and walked 3 miles the day after surgery last Friday. I hate when people encourage him because I believe he's setting himself up for more injuries and maybe chronic ones. He's addicted to the rush,an absolute exercise addict.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 02:25 PM
BNHL

Quote:
I adopted a 'water is your friend, sugar is your enemy diet' and pretty much just wiped out sugar; sugar in coffee, Moon pies from Lyndell's Bakery, ice cream, yada yada....and I noticed a few days in my heart was racing, headaches, feeling like the flu and was realized it was likely the sugar withdrawals. They were all done in less than a 100 hours and I feel great. Weird the difference in how I feel- I'm like rarely tired, I just go on and on, whereas before after drinking a large coffee cream with sugar and sugary snacks I was ready to take a nap at 11 am

just getting into a habit or drinking water and taking out sugar the best you can is huge I've witnessed in others and myself as well...oh, and I had an amazing crulla from Central Bakery in Peabody but it didn't bring back all the desire for sweets I still feel in control- just not make it a part of my life.
That's great. Sugar is pure poison,whether it comes from snacks,carbs or fruits and maybe the real root of many illnesses.

Old
06-06-2016, 02:31 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I've got a buddy that works out 14 times a week,no rest,does every run that comes along and travels to do courses and he's about 50. His diet is superb. 2 weeks ago while doing a Navy Seal designed course he separated a shoulder and tore a pec. He's an absolute fool. Theses are injuries that were most likely set up by overuse. He hiked 6 miles the day after the injury and walked 3 miles the day after surgery last Friday. I hate when people encourage him because I believe he's setting himself up for more injuries and maybe chronic ones. He's addicted to the rush,an absolute exercise addict.
Yeah my worst fear (other than something happening to my kids obviously) is to get hurt and be on the shelf for any period of time. I do 6 days on, 1 day off. I do a million different things but I should probably take every 4th day off.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
I too have made the change away from sugars. Only a little as found in fresh fruit. It was hard the first week or two but now dont really miss it.

I drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water every day.

Only 2 servings of dairy daily max because i have hyperparathyroidism.

One of the biggest changes for me is after 58 years I now eat breakfast. I never did before. Nothing.
Usually its 2 hard boiled eggs. 60 calories each. Its amazing how that allowed me to not stuff myself at lunch. I've gotten to the point where I make myself eat 500 calories at lunch. The Bride makes sure I have a steady supply of chicken and turkey breast. Not deli meat but real breast meat. Along with fresh baby carrots or broccoli to dip into my single serve humus. Then usually 2 baby bell cheeses.

My amount of exercise then dictates how many calories I have in my bank left for dinner or an evening snack. Overall I target below 1700 total for the day.

The other thing all 3 doctors drilled into me is weight is just a number. Its health thats my goal. Do not deprive myself. Deprivation is the ignition to stalling and back sliding. If once a week I want pizza or chinese food - do it. Be cognizant of what Im getting but do it and enjoy it.

For example today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are going to celebrate Saturday night with the kids. I will have a steak and a couple of glasses of wine. Life still should be lived and celebrated.

So far so good.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!

Last edited by Gee Wally: 06-06-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 03:09 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I should quit sugar cold turkey like you did. I have tried but I always end up giving in to temptation & then stuffing myself which just makes things worse. I know what you mean about having too much sugar in your body because when I do it slows my metabolism down to an absolute crawl.

On average I drink a half gallon of water a day. It is a great substitute for soda, coffee or tea.
I went cold turkey for 10 days that was it. I like ice cream and cake and want to still eat them from time to time just not every day

I like beer too, but I don't drink it every day or get sloshed every day or even every week. I pick and choose and wanted to get away from letting it rule me.

Getting over the cravings was the key- took about 4 or so days and started feeling better

some things like removing sugar from coffee and going with a small tea spoon of Stevia or whatever its called

I like cream and sugar in coffee but I hate how it effects me

my objective was

1. get over cravings
2. reduce sugar consumption especially/importantly in morning and lunch
3. eat what I like but in moderation- I've eat corn on the cob several times this week with some butter and salt. Only one ear and not drenched with butter or to much salt

more like being in control

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 03:39 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I too have made the change away from sugars. Only a little as found in fresh fruit. It was hard the first week or two but now dont really miss it.

I drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water every day.

Only 2 servings of dairy daily max because i have hyperparathyroidism.

One of the biggest changes for me is after 58 years I now eat breakfast. I never did before. Nothing.
Usually its 2 hard boiled eggs. 60 calories each. Its amazing how that allowed me to not stuff myself at lunch. I've gotten to the point where I make myself eat 500 calories at lunch. The Bride makes sure I have a steady supply of chicken and turkey breast. Not deli meat but real breast meat. Along with fresh baby carrots or broccoli to dip into my single serve humus. Then usually 2 baby bell cheeses.

My amount of exercise then dictates how many calories I have in my bank left for dinner or an evening snack. Overall I target below 1700 total for the day.

The other thing all 3 doctors drilled into me is weight is just a number. Its health thats my goal. Do not deprive myself. Deprivation is the ignition to stalling and back sliding. If once a week I want pizza or chinese food - do it. Be cognizant of what Im getting but do it and enjoy it.

For example today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are going to celebrate Saturday night with the kids. I will have a steak and a couple of glasses of wine. Life still should be lived and celebrated.

So far so good.
Congrats dude!

Well done all around.

Old
06-06-2016, 03:41 PM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
I went cold turkey for 10 days that was it. I like ice cream and cake and want to still eat them from time to time just not every day

I like beer too, but I don't drink it every day or get sloshed every day or even every week. I pick and choose and wanted to get away from letting it rule me.

Getting over the cravings was the key- took about 4 or so days and started feeling better

some things like removing sugar from coffee and going with a small tea spoon of Stevia or whatever its called

I like cream and sugar in coffee but I hate how it effects me

my objective was

1. get over cravings
2. reduce sugar consumption especially/importantly in morning and lunch
3. eat what I like but in moderation- I've eat corn on the cob several times this week with some butter and salt. Only one ear and not drenched with butter or to much salt

more like being in control
Good job. Your workout is pretty intense too.

I did have some ice cream cake yesterday and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't craving the hot fudge that was on it.

Last edited by RetiredWBC8: 06-06-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old
06-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Aeroforce

I used to go cycling a lot, but all it did was make me skinny. I'm an ectomorph/hard gainer, so I gave that up for weights. I don't bulk much, but I'm a lot stronger than I look. I read someone post in this thread that a trainer told them they were the most out of shape fit person she'd seen. I'm the opposite - I don't look intimidating or anything, but when I play hockey or do other things, others are surprised.

For those in a time crunch, I'd like to suggest jumping rope. I've been jumping a little over a year and absolutely love it. It's a great workout that doesn't take a lot of time, and since I have a bit of ADD the mental challenge is superb. There are always new jumps to learn, jumps can be made harder by upping the tempo, doing more reps, changing the rope length, etc. And there's tons of great tutorials on YouTube. It's also very rewarding when you finally can do a jump that was hard to learn (double unders for me).

I do NOT condone this, but these guys pop up on my sidebar when I watch fitness videos. They are known as the Hodge Twins, and they are bodybuilders. Their motto is "Eat whatever da**k you want!" and they make videos of themselves frequenting fast food joints and jamming as much down their throats as they can.

Here they are splitting 80 chicken nuggets:

Aeroforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 05:52 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I have no ability to moderate when it comes to certain things. I can't have just one scoop of ice cream. I have to have none. I'll literally kill a half gallon in two days if I have it in the house. I'm really bad when it comes to sugar to the point where I'll eat brown sugar out of the bag or drink maple syrup out of the bottle. I just can't have it around the house.

As far as fast food, junk food and so on, it's all like a big math equation. You can fit certain things into your calorie intake if you cut in other areas. If I'm on a cut doing 1,600 calories a day and I want pancakes, I can have them but it doesn't leave me with much to work with the rest of the day. I'm also not getting much value from those pancakes so I'm either going to have to exceed my caloric intake for the day or miss my protein goals.

It's really no different than setting a budget. You can go to five minor league sporting events or one major league event. You can eat one fried chicken breast or three grilled breasts.

Accountability is huge. Unless you're doing some really intense working out or you move all day at work, you can't "run off" a bad diet.

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Kate08

I do a lot of running and my ankles are stiff. Muscles of my left big toe bother me after long runs (10+ miles), too. Did a half marathon last Sunday and a 10 mile race yesterday, so currently laying on my couch with the foot elevated and icing it. It's the worst.

Luckily I do a lot of cross training so I can still exercise while waiting for this to calm down, but I hate being limited in what I can do. FRUSTRATING.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 09:56 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I have no ability to moderate when it comes to certain things. I can't have just one scoop of ice cream. I have to have none. I'll literally kill a half gallon in two days if I have it in the house. I'm really bad when it comes to sugar to the point where I'll eat brown sugar out of the bag or drink maple syrup out of the bottle. I just can't have it around the house.

As far as fast food, junk food and so on, it's all like a big math equation. You can fit certain things into your calorie intake if you cut in other areas. If I'm on a cut doing 1,600 calories a day and I want pancakes, I can have them but it doesn't leave me with much to work with the rest of the day. I'm also not getting much value from those pancakes so I'm either going to have to exceed my caloric intake for the day or miss my protein goals.

It's really no different than setting a budget. You can go to five minor league sporting events or one major league event. You can eat one fried chicken breast or three grilled breasts.

Accountability is huge. Unless you're doing some really intense working out or you move all day at work, you can't "run off" a bad diet.
When I was training hard 5 days a week, and even when trying to lean way out. I picked one day of the week (usually sunday) and ate anything and everything I wanted. I tried to keep it to stuff my body would at least still use like a big, thick, nicely marbled, juicy sirloin, mmmmm. Or, if it was pizza, I'd at least get some chicken or some sort of protein on it, etc. Never really had a sweet tooth, w/ me it's the grease (i.e., steak, seafood, stuff cooked in butter, etc). Edit: Normally not a mcdonalds guy at all, but when I was dieting I'd CRAVE mcdonald's french fries anytime I saw a golden arches. I'd wanna chop em up on a mirror and SNIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFF...alright kidding, but it's crazy what you end up craving when you cut out all the crap.

When you cut out all the crap you're used to eating, you're going to have cravings. If you never indulge at all, not only are you going to be miserable, you stand a bigger chance of falling further off the wagon completely, or purging. At Least that's how it is for me. After you get used to eating healthy and being disciplined, as you start to get closer to whatever your goals are, I found my cheat day less and less appealing. Not just b/c I was essentially undoing everything I was working hard for the other 6 days of the week, the cravings had basically subsided.

I know different things work for different people, but when it comes to diet, that's how I roll. I also eat smaller meals trying to split the calories from 3 meals into 6 meals in order to speed up the metabolic rate. I know there's debate a/b it's effectiveness, but like I said, it works for me. And thank god for protein shakes. Otherwise I'd of been walking around w/ a damn turkey leg like a savage, or a can of tuna w/ tabasco.

Last edited by Neely08: 06-06-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2016, 11:12 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Like other's said, the most important thing is getting a hold of your diet and what you put into your body. Our bodies feel full after a meal that's full of the nutrients our bodies crave for; it takes longer for the full effect to happen when eating foods lacking in proper nutrition because that's what they've been chemically designed to do by the food scientists. The best thing you can do for yourself is to switch to an organic/natural diet and try to avoid processed foods all together.

I know it's not a traditional guy thing to do, but yoga really does wonders for your body. For you guys out there that are struggling or just want to shake up your routine a bit, challenge yourself and check out DDP Yoga. It's helped out a lot of people I know ( male and females ). http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...liver-20140609

Combine that with a good strength training regimen, and you'll be just fine.

Also, as someone else said, weight is just a number. Get what you weigh out of your head and instead focus more on building up your overall health - getting the excess fat out of your mid section, taking care of your high blood pressure, etc etc. Your weight will stabilize itself to where it should be based on your mix of height, muscle mass + healthy fat, water weight and genes.

It is NEVER too late to refocus on your health and bettering yourself physically.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 06:43 AM
BNHL

Just a small point about protein;There is no diet out there where the protein is insufficient. There are Olympic athletes that are vegan/vegetarians. Personally,I ate no chicken,fish,meat,sugar or dairy for 2 years,had complete bloodwork every 3 months and my protein levels were perfect. People can argue the merits of animal versus plant protein but it's just a debate.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Like other's said, the most important thing is getting a hold of your diet and what you put into your body. Our bodies feel full after a meal that's full of the nutrients our bodies crave for; it takes longer for the full effect to happen when eating foods lacking in proper nutrition because that's what they've been chemically designed to do by the food scientists. The best thing you can do for yourself is to switch to an organic/natural diet and try to avoid processed foods all together.

I know it's not a traditional guy thing to do, but yoga really does wonders for your body. For you guys out there that are struggling or just want to shake up your routine a bit, challenge yourself and check out DDP Yoga. It's helped out a lot of people I know ( male and females ). http://www.mensjournal.com/health-fi...liver-20140609

Also, as someone else said, weight is just a number. Get what you weigh out of your head and instead focus more on building up your overall health - getting the excess fat out of your mid section, taking care of your high blood pressure, etc etc. Your weight will stabilize itself to where it should be based on your mix of height, muscle mass + healthy fat, water weight and genes.

It is NEVER too late to refocus on your health and bettering yourself physically.
Great post.

To me it's more about health than fitness.

We all have a different definition of eating healthy. Sometimes we think we are eating healthy but we are not.

With health issues and too many misinformation out there, i'm trying to filter out the bad research and propaganda. ( ex; a glass of red wine a day is good for you, the good stuff is actually in the grapes skin, in order for you to have the benefits mentioned you have to drink 60 liters of wine or like 80 bottles per day. )

I have found that grains in general are bad for us, refined or whole.
Even with nuts, not all nuts are good or us, some can only be used as an ingredient in a recipe.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Seidenbergy

Kimbo Slice dead at 42. Don't do steroids kids.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 07:18 AM
RetiredWBC8

Killer shoulder workout today with a lot of overhead presses, box jumps, burpees, kettle bells, TRX push ups...then wind sprints...2 miles as fast as you can.

Went home and threw up afterwards (allergy pill making me feel dehydrated)..

5am is early, but it's done, my body is super pumped looking, endorphins running wild and have loads of energy. I feel great.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:19 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Just a small point about protein;There is no diet out there where the protein is insufficient. There are Olympic athletes that are vegan/vegetarians. Personally,I ate no chicken,fish,meat,sugar or dairy for 2 years,had complete bloodwork every 3 months and my protein levels were perfect. People can argue the merits of animal versus plant protein but it's just a debate.
Good points... I just love chicken and eat it daily so it does the trick, but no matter how little or lot I ate, my levels rarely have changed.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:23 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:

You are 100% correct. You have to be your biggest advocate. In the end, you are really only short changing yourself, and even the smallest amounts send your insulin into flux. There is a good article somewhere that breaks down what sugar does to every organ in your body. It's nuts. I do believe in moderation, and I will dabble maybe once a week in something sweet but it really does make me feel sluggish and cranky after.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:25 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post

Awesome post, thank you. I really have never done the eating right, cardio and strength at the same time. It works wonders when used all together.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:44 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Hated eggs until about two years ago.

Hot sauce is my miracle drug. I don't think I'd be able to eat them straight up on a daily basis without the stuff.

I dislike pork. Have tried several ways of preparing it and other than pulled pork, I just don't like the taste or consistency. It's too rubbery to me. I try to stay away from pulled pork due to the sauce, but when I do that or ribs, I try to stick to dry rubs/spicy BBQ sauce which is much lower in sugar and calories.

I know I should eat fish as well. Some day I'll get brave.

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 07:51 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Hated eggs until about two years ago.

Hot sauce is my miracle drug. I don't think I'd be able to eat them straight up on a daily basis without the stuff.

I dislike pork. Have tried several ways of preparing it and other than pulled pork, I just don't like the taste or consistency. It's too rubbery to me. I try to stay away from pulled pork due to the sauce, but when I do that or ribs, I try to stick to dry rubs/spicy BBQ sauce which is much lower in sugar and calories.

I know I should eat fish as well. Some day I'll get brave.
I hate eggs, pork and fish as well. I like bacon tho

I will never eat pork or fish, but maybe some hot sauce on eggs. Will have to try it.

Old
06-07-2016, 07:53 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I do a lot of running and my ankles are stiff. Muscles of my left big toe bother me after long runs (10+ miles), too. Did a half marathon last Sunday and a 10 mile race yesterday, so currently laying on my couch with the foot elevated and icing it. It's the worst.

Luckily I do a lot of cross training so I can still exercise while waiting for this to calm down, but I hate being limited in what I can do. FRUSTRATING.
Amazing. No idea how a human can run that far. I do two miles and feel like I am going to drop dead. Then again, I couldn't run two feet this time last year.