Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Health and Fitness Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2016, 07:59 AM
Kalus

vCash: 500
For the occasional sugar indulgence, dark chocolate. Highest cocoa possible, at least 80%. Quite beneficial for a number of reasons. Google it.

Also, everybody. Go easy on the water. I haven't found any actual research to support the notion that the consumption of excessive amounts leads to any health benefits. There may even be some negative consequences. I say, just drink when you are thirsty, whatever amount that may be. Much of what we eat is loaded with water anyway.

If anyone has links to peer reviewed study's or research papers please post a link. I havent been able to find any.

Old
06-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalus View Post
For the occasional sugar indulgence, dark chocolate. Highest cocoa possible, at least 80%. Quite beneficial for a number of reasons. Google it.

Also, everybody. Go easy on the water. I haven't found any actual research to support the notion that the consumption of excessive amounts leads to any health benefits. There may even be some negative consequences. I say, just drink when you are thirsty, whatever amount that may be. Much of what we eat is loaded with water anyway.

If anyone has links to peer reviewed study's or research papers please post a link. I havent been able to find any.
Speaking from personal experience (and advice of my doctor), if you have a personal/family history of kidney stones, drink as much water as you can. My dad gets them fairly regularly, I got one a few years ago and never want to do that again. I've been doing about a gallon a day since without changing anything else in my diet and haven't gotten another.

Old
06-07-2016, 09:30 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
I too have made the change away from sugars. Only a little as found in fresh fruit. It was hard the first week or two but now dont really miss it.

I drink at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water every day.

Only 2 servings of dairy daily max because i have hyperparathyroidism.

One of the biggest changes for me is after 58 years I now eat breakfast. I never did before. Nothing.
Usually its 2 hard boiled eggs. 60 calories each. Its amazing how that allowed me to not stuff myself at lunch. I've gotten to the point where I make myself eat 500 calories at lunch. The Bride makes sure I have a steady supply of chicken and turkey breast. Not deli meat but real breast meat. Along with fresh baby carrots or broccoli to dip into my single serve humus. Then usually 2 baby bell cheeses.

My amount of exercise then dictates how many calories I have in my bank left for dinner or an evening snack. Overall I target below 1700 total for the day.

The other thing all 3 doctors drilled into me is weight is just a number. Its health thats my goal. Do not deprive myself. Deprivation is the ignition to stalling and back sliding. If once a week I want pizza or chinese food - do it. Be cognizant of what Im getting but do it and enjoy it.

For example today is our 35th wedding anniversary. We are going to celebrate Saturday night with the kids. I will have a steak and a couple of glasses of wine. Life still should be lived and celebrated.

So far so good.
Your doctors nailed it Wally. While I have cut way back on things that aren't good for me I refuse to deprive myself of them completely. I still love a good pizza, for example.

Old
06-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Ozamataz Buckshank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Your doctors nailed it Wally. While I have cut way back on things that aren't good for me I refuse to deprive myself of them completely. I still love a good pizza, for example.
That seems awfully redundant

I eat pizza so much I probably shouldn't even be in this thread

Last edited by Ozamataz Buckshank: 06-07-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: me dumb
Old
06-07-2016, 09:40 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Killer shoulder workout today with a lot of overhead presses, box jumps, burpees, kettle bells, TRX push ups...then wind sprints...2 miles as fast as you can.

Went home and threw up afterwards (allergy pill making me feel dehydrated)..

5am is early, but it's done, my body is super pumped looking, endorphins running wild and have loads of energy. I feel great.
This thread was a really great idea, Whammer. Thanks for starting it. Now I'm all motivated to take the pain I've been making excuses to avoid. Right there w/ you w/ the running. I'm not supposed to w/ my back at all, but don't have the patience to "power walk". Bike is even more painful b/c of the posture. I'd rather get it over w/ hard and fast w/ HIIT. Going to have to ease into it and see how I respond.

"Went home and threw up.... I feel great!" You're an animal, dude...

Old
06-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Kate08

I was debating whether or not to make this post, but decided what the hell.
I've shared my story before with some of the folks in the OT thread when the subject of health and fitness has come up, but this seems like an appropriate place as well.

Over the last two and a half years, I've made some lifestyle changes and, at this point have lost almost 40 lbs. It's been slow and steady, which for me equals sustainable. I've gone from being sedentary to working out 6 or 7 days a week, a combination of spin classes, running, yoga, boot camps, and weight lifting. I have changed my diet to include much healthier choices, but allow myself the freedom and flexibility to still live my life, which was extremely important to me. If my friends are meeting up for beers and nachos one night after work, I want to be able to join them. I eat "right" probably 80 - 90% of the time, and when I "cheat", I enjoy it and don't beat myself up about it. That's just not living to me.

The two biggest things I've learned is that health and fitness and weight loss is an extremely personal journey. What works for some won't work for others. Also, you need to be ready to make the change, and be committed to it. It's easy to shut off the alarm when you're tired and don't want to go to the gym or go for a run. If you're ready, and if you're committed, you know that 99% of the time, you'll get much more out of your workout than you will the extra hour of sleep. You also learn how to listen to your body, and are able to be honest with yourself and know when it's that 1% when your body needs the rest more than the workout.

The left picture is as a bridesmaid in 2011, and the right picture is as a bridesmaid in 2014.

The left picture is at a friend's bridal shower in 2012, and the right picture is from a half marathon I ran this Memorial Day weekend.

Even more than the weight loss, I'm most proud of how active I've become and how strong I've gotten. I ran a 10 miler in Newport this weekend, it was my second time running this race, and I felt like a completely different person. I've met some great people and made wonderful friends since I started working out (seriously...go to the gym at the same time every day, take the same classes, and you start to create a gym family), runners are a SUPER fun and supportive group of people, and that has been a pleasant surprise.

There is no before and after, because there is no after. It's a lifelong journey. I still have work to do, weight I want to lose, strength I want to build, but I'm proud of the work I've done so far. With the way things work, I'll probably get to the point where I'm finally comfortable, and then get pregnant.

Find what you like to do, and do it. Find an eating plan that works for you and your lifestyle, and do it (I love MyFitnessPal). But be ready to do it, because if you're not, you won't be successful and you'll get frustrated.

Old
06-07-2016, 09:47 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
This thread was a really great idea, Whammer. Thanks for starting it. Now I'm all motivated to take the pain I've been making excuses to avoid. Right there w/ you w/ the running. I'm not supposed to w/ my back at all, but don't have the patience to "power walk". Bike is even more painful b/c of the posture. I'd rather get it over w/ hard and fast w/ HIIT. Going to have to ease into it and see how I respond.

06-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I've shared my story before with some of the folks in the OT thread when the subject of health and fitness has come up, but this seems like an appropriate place as well.

Over the last two and a half years, I've made some lifestyle changes and, at this point have lost almost 40 lbs. It's been slow and steady, which for me equals sustainable. I've gone from being sedentary to working out 6 or 7 days a week, a combination of spin classes, running, yoga, boot camps, and weight lifting. I have changed my diet to include much healthier choices, but allow myself the freedom and flexibility to still live my life, which was extremely important to me. If my friends are meeting up for beers and nachos one night after work, I want to be able to join them. I eat "right" probably 80 - 90% of the time, and when I "cheat", I enjoy it and don't beat myself up about it. That's just not living to me.

The two biggest things I've learned is that health and fitness and weight loss is an extremely personal journey. What works for some won't work for others. Also, you need to be ready to make the change, and be committed to it. It's easy to shut off the alarm when you're tired and don't want to go to the gym or go for a run. If you're ready, and if you're committed, you know that 99% of the time, you'll get much more out of your workout than you will the extra hour of sleep. You also learn how to listen to your body, and are able to be honest with yourself and know when it's that 1% when your body needs the rest more than the workout.

The left picture is as a bridesmaid in 2011, and the right picture is as a bridesmaid in 2014.

The left picture is at a friend's bridal shower in 2012, and the right picture is from a half marathon I ran this Memorial Day weekend.

Even more than the weight loss, I'm most proud of how active I've become and how strong I've gotten. I ran a 10 miler in Newport this weekend, it was my second time running this race, and I felt like a completely different person. I've met some great people and made wonderful friends since I started working out (seriously...go to the gym at the same time every day, take the same classes, and you start to create a gym family), runners are a SUPER fun and supportive group of people, and that has been a pleasant surprise.

There is no before and after, because there is no after. It's a lifelong journey. I still have work to do, weight I want to lose, strength I want to build, but I'm proud of the work I've done so far. With the way things work, I'll probably get to the point where I'm finally comfortable, and then get pregnant.

Find what you like to do, and do it. Find an eating plan that works for you and your lifestyle, and do it (I love MyFitnessPal). But be ready to do it, because if you're not, you won't be successful and you'll get frustrated.
Great post. Spot on, congrats.

Old
06-07-2016, 09:57 AM
smithformeragent

The 90/10 rule that Kate references is a good one if you can handle it.

The key is to be strict about limiting the cheating because it is very easy for one cheat meal to become three or four.

I always have a difficult time when I travel because options are so limited. It's good to take time to rest every once in a while, but eating out will kill you.

Luckily, I hated the food in Ireland so I didn't gain weight on my last vacation.

Old
06-07-2016, 10:05 AM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:

You look AH-MAZING.

WOW! Incredible. You are truly incredible!

Old
06-07-2016, 10:09 AM
LouJersey

Quote:

Haha, thanks. Hoping to motivate some others, so they can return the favor when I need it. It's important.

As far as puking it happens sometimes, and OF COURSE I meet someone I know at the damn door and she starts talking to me and I'm ready to barf all over the place. Luckily the gym is 1/2 mile from my house, so I puked in my front lawn then made it in the bathroom, LOL

Old
06-07-2016, 10:10 AM
patty59

Quote:

Try swimming, it's a great workout.

Old
06-07-2016, 10:17 AM
DarrenBanks56

I cant go to the gym. I did it for 6 months and hated everything about it.

luckily I still play roller hockey and baseball. That's my exercise. But then the teams always have to pound down the sauce after the games.

Its summer so I wont have any issues with weight, because I just don't eat much when its hot out. Ill drink my beer and hike up the mountain 4 days a week, while playing my sports.

Running a 5k at the end of the month....but the finish line is an all you can drink beerfest. So thatll be a wash.

I will say, I have eliminated sugar from my iced coffees and I haven't had a donut in over 3 months.

Old
06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
Awesome transformation Kate !

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
06-07-2016, 10:30 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 View Post
I cant go to the gym. I did it for 6 months and hated everything about it.

luckily I still play roller hockey and baseball. That's my exercise. But then the teams always have to pound down the sauce after the games.

Its summer so I wont have any issues with weight, because I just don't eat much when its hot out. Ill drink my beer and hike up the mountain 4 days a week, while playing my sports.

Running a 5k at the end of the month....but the finish line is an all you can drink beerfest. So thatll be a wash.

I will say, I have eliminated sugar from my iced coffees and I haven't had a donut in over 3 months.
I think playing sports is really the best and ultimate workout...You use basically all of your muscles, especially with roller hockey.

Old
06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
LouJersey

Trying to thin out from this.hit the weights hard from Jan to May, not trying to be more complete.

Last edited by LouJersey: 03-22-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old
06-07-2016, 11:00 AM
smithformeragent

WBC gun show!

I'm only 5' 10" but have long arms. I've tried bent over wrist curls both overhand and underhand. I've done front raises and cable exercises and I still hate my forearms.

I was down to a 30" waist when I was 155-160, but I'm back into the 32" range since I started eating more. My chest and shoulders have had some big gains.

I'd like to add on another ten pounds and still look good in a bathing suit. The first place I gain weight is my love handles and it's also the last place I lose weight. I'm 30 and only skate once a week, but I can feel the toll of playing goalie as the mornings after keep getting tougher. My recovery in net has improved drastically since I intensified my leg days though.

Old
06-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Great job Kate!!!

Old
06-07-2016, 11:17 AM
LouJersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
WBC gun show!

I'm only 5' 10" but have long arms. I've tried bent over wrist curls both overhand and underhand. I've done front raises and cable exercises and I still hate my forearms.

I was down to a 30" waist when I was 155-160, but I'm back into the 32" range since I started eating more. My chest and shoulders have had some big gains.

I'd like to add on another ten pounds and still look good in a bathing suit. The first place I gain weight is my love handles and it's also the last place I lose weight. I'm 30 and only skate once a week, but I can feel the toll of playing goalie as the mornings after keep getting tougher. My recovery in net has improved drastically since I intensified my leg days though.
You can burn a lot more calories without doing anything during the day with leg muscles. I'm trying to build my desperately. My chest/ waist was 49/40 about seven months ago and now I'm at 47/35

Old
06-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit

Awards:
When I wore a younger man's clothes.... about 12 years ago and where I'm trying to get back to..

I want to someday play catch on the beach with grandkids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg playing catch.jpg‎ (22.1 KB, 22 views)

Old
06-07-2016, 11:41 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:

Outstanding post

Looking hot, Kate

Old
06-07-2016, 11:43 AM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

I went vegan last summer. And cut out all processed sugar, flour products, etc. I eat as much veg & fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, as I want. I buy most of what I eat directly from local (mostly) organic farms. In season, I grow it myself.

My only cheat is I usually have to order vegetarian when we (rarely) eat out.

I work for the largest processed food company in the world. Ironically, they've taught me a lot about nutrition. Out of our thousands of products, I think I use three- waters, coffee and canned pumpkin. In the summer at work, we have freezers stocked with ice cream. I love ice cream. Now I make smoothies with frozen bananas. That's my ice cream.

Never loved to exercise, but I use the treadmill desk at work every day and swim in the summer.

My numbers during this time have shocked and pleased my doctor. I've lost ~65 lbs, blood sugar a1c, cholesterol all showed dramatic changes for the better. Why don't doctors seem to know much about nutrition? Guess it don't pay.

I've been inspired by some of y'all's journeys. Look forward to more positive results in this thread.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Kate08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I went vegan last summer. And cut out all processed sugar, flour products, etc. I eat as much veg & fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, as I want. I buy most of what I eat directly from local (mostly) organic farms. In season, I grow it myself.

My only cheat is I usually have to order vegetarian when we (rarely) eat out.

I work for the largest processed food company in the world. Ironically, they've taught me a lot about nutrition. Out of our thousands of products, I think I use three- waters, coffee and canned pumpkin. In the summer at work, we have freezers stocked with ice cream. I love ice cream. Now I make smoothies with frozen bananas. That's my ice cream.

Never loved to exercise, but I use the treadmill desk at work every day and swim in the summer.

My numbers during this time have shocked and pleased my doctor. I've lost ~65 lbs, blood sugar a1c, cholesterol all showed dramatic changes for the better. Why don't doctors seem to know much about nutrition? Guess it don't pay.

I've been inspired by some of y'all's journeys. Look forward to more positive results in this thread.
You're the awesome-est.

Old
06-07-2016, 12:23 PM
BNHL

Quote:

Awesome job!

Old
06-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Aeroforce

GREAT work, Kate08, and way to keep your priorities on performance. You look great, but more importantly, you are hitting impressive goals with your abilities, not just your selfies.

It's fascinating reading different perspectives. I know vegans are big into fruit, but others here are not. Personally, I do consume a good amount of it, and like sooshii, frozen banana smoothies are a favorite.

I've been intrigued reading those that don't drink much water. I constantly read about the benefits of it, and also that when the body thinks it's hungry, it's really just dehydrated. So drinking water throughout the day curbs the appetite.

Don't know if that's true, but I think that will be a personal decision. I do drink a lot of water, but when I jump rope when it's really hot outside, I sweat profusely.

I've never measured body fat, but I don't look that cosmetically aesthetic. I do believe it's partly due to water weight, which I don't mind. I've read about the levels of dehydration models are at for photoshoots, and that's not too appealing to me!

Closed Thread