06-07-2016, 12:55 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozamataz Buckshank View Post
That seems awfully redundant

I eat pizza so much I probably shouldn't even be in this thread

I've had some really bad pizza in my time (word: you can't get a good pizza below the Mason-Dixon line) so I really appreciate a good one!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 12:58 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I went vegan last summer. And cut out all processed sugar, flour products, etc. I eat as much veg & fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, as I want. I buy most of what I eat directly from local (mostly) organic farms. In season, I grow it myself.

My only cheat is I usually have to order vegetarian when we (rarely) eat out.

I work for the largest processed food company in the world. Ironically, they've taught me a lot about nutrition. Out of our thousands of products, I think I use three- waters, coffee and canned pumpkin. In the summer at work, we have freezers stocked with ice cream. I love ice cream. Now I make smoothies with frozen bananas. That's my ice cream.

Never loved to exercise, but I use the treadmill desk at work every day and swim in the summer.

My numbers during this time have shocked and pleased my doctor. I've lost ~65 lbs, blood sugar a1c, cholesterol all showed dramatic changes for the better. Why don't doctors seem to know much about nutrition? Guess it don't pay.

I've been inspired by some of y'all's journeys. Look forward to more positive results in this thread.
Great job sooshi!!!!!

Old
06-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Seidenbergy

Alright, so we've had our first vegan. The ball is in your court, crossfitters.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
This is not my final form...
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1511.png‎ (973.0 KB, 25 views)

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Donnie Shulzhoffer
Rocket Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
That you on the right? Not to sure about your choice of clothes then.

Donnie Shulzhoffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I don't always run.....but when I do, I run with a laptop.

Seidenbergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 03:10 PM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
You're the awesome-est.
And you're my hero who taught me how to make jar salads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seidenbergy View Post

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 03:29 PM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Shots fired.

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 03:36 PM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I went vegan last summer. And cut out all processed sugar, flour products, etc. I eat as much veg & fruit, beans, legumes, nuts, as I want. I buy most of what I eat directly from local (mostly) organic farms. In season, I grow it myself.

My only cheat is I usually have to order vegetarian when we (rarely) eat out.

I work for the largest processed food company in the world. Ironically, they've taught me a lot about nutrition. Out of our thousands of products, I think I use three- waters, coffee and canned pumpkin. In the summer at work, we have freezers stocked with ice cream. I love ice cream. Now I make smoothies with frozen bananas. That's my ice cream.

Never loved to exercise, but I use the treadmill desk at work every day and swim in the summer.

My numbers during this time have shocked and pleased my doctor. I've lost ~65 lbs, blood sugar a1c, cholesterol all showed dramatic changes for the better. Why don't doctors seem to know much about nutrition? Guess it don't pay.

I've been inspired by some of y'all's journeys. Look forward to more positive results in this thread.
Outstanding. I lost 50 pounds in about 3 months when vegan,cholesterol dropped to 113 in 3 weeks,triglycerides rose due to carbs,BP was 108-70,A1C about 3 etc. Triglycerides and Lp(a) did me in as my heart disease got worse because of those nasty suckers. My only reservation is the fruit and the smoothies but you say A1C is fine so great for you. Next bloodwork request and Advanced Lipid which will further inform you about your cholesterol type (Pattern A or B) and the presence or not of Lp(a).

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 03:40 PM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Outstanding. I lost 50 pounds in about 3 months when vegan,cholesterol dropped to 113 in 3 weeks,triglycerides rose due to carbs,BP was 108-70,A1C about 3 etc. Triglycerides and Lp(a) did me in as my heart disease got worse because of those nasty suckers. My only reservation is the fruit and the smoothies but you say A1C is fine so great for you. Next bloodwork request and Advanced Lipid which will further inform you about your cholesterol type (Pattern A or B) and the presence or not of Lp(a).
Thanks. I will.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Bruwinz37

Great idea for a thread Lou.

I need to get back into fighting shape and as I ease into my 40s I realize the term you can't outwork a bad diet is true. My biggest issue is a few beers each night. My diet otherwise isn't great but not horrible either but the nightly beers after kids go to bed is likely preventing any weight loss.

As far as working out I have started doing hot power yoga. Easily the best workout I have ever had outside of playing hockey. My back has never been better. With that said I travel a lot so I supplement with elliptical and push-ups on the road. Weights on a rare occasion but only pretty light. Push ups daily make a huge difference for me. I won't run anymore because it's horrible for the back hips and knees.

Anyway I will look to improve my diet and look forward to reading everyone's progress.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 07:24 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post

I need to get back into fighting shape and as I ease into my 40s I realize the term you can't outwork a bad diet is true. My biggest issue is a few beers each night. My diet otherwise isn't great but not horrible either but the nightly beers after kids go to bed is likely preventing any weight loss.

As far as working out I have started doing hot power yoga. Easily the best workout I have ever had outside of playing hockey. My back has never been better. With that said I travel a lot so I supplement with elliptical and push-ups on the road. Weights on a rare occasion but only pretty light. Push ups daily make a huge difference for me. I won't run anymore because it's horrible for the back hips and knees.

Anyway I will look to improve my diet and look forward to reading everyone's progress.
If you are doing hot power yoga you are in good shape - that is brutal if you are over 40

Impressed

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2016, 07:56 PM
PlayMakers

Good thread.

Big guy here. Trying to get healthier as I approach 43. Cleaned up my diet and started swimming for 30 minutes each morning before work. Lost 25lbs over the last 4 weeks...

My wife says I'm food illiterate so cleaning up the diet has been a challenge. Learning about foods, how to prepare them, what to shop for, how to substitute fatty things for healthy things. She cooks most nights but I'm trying to learn and contribute since I'm kind of forcing the whole family to eat healthier.

Here's to keeping it going.

06-08-2016, 06:03 AM
RetiredWBC8

Smith you are looking great.

Love getting lots of new ideas. I know Aly and Kovi do things as well for physical and mental well being so I hope they check in.

Did 6 different chest press angles today and worked til total muscle exhaustion. Then I did a 42 minute treadmill thing were I was at 3.5 mph for 3 min and 7.0 mph for 1 min. Was fantastic

Old
06-08-2016, 06:10 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post

Sounds like you are doing well and that makes me happy. Never would have thought about yoga. Also good point on push-ups. They really give you the spread in your chest.

Old
06-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Kate08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Smith you are looking great.

Love getting lots of new ideas. I know Aly and Kovi do things as well for physical and mental well being so I hope they check in.

Did 6 different chest press angles today and worked til total muscle exhaustion. Then I did a 42 minute treadmill thing were I was at 3.5 mph for 3 min and 7.0 mph for 1 min. Was fantastic
Yoga has been incredible for me from a mind/body perspective. Depending on the type of class you go to, it can range from a killer (and I mean killer) workout to more of a stretching session. I love how versatile it is, and incorporate a few different kinds of yoga into my practice. Never done hot yoga though, i sweat like a madman anyways and hate being hot.

It's taken me a few years to figure this out, but you really need to be in tune with your body and your mind needs to be focused and in sync with a what you're doing to get the biggest reward from your practice. It's easy to go through the motions and skate by, and only you know how hard your pushing yourself. For example, if I'm in a crescent lunge, I often ask myself if I'm really as deep in the lunge as I can be. Often the answer is no, I can get deeper, and that challenges me physically as well as mentally because it's really just me doing what feels right for my body, not someone telling me I need to get deeper into the pose.

The breathing techniques, mind/body connection, and practice of clearing your mind to focus on your practice is incredibly powerful from a mental health perspective. I am someone that goes a million miles an hour, and it has taken me a long time to recognize those aspects of my practice, and to truly practice instead of just going through the physical motions. But, that's what yoga is.

I recommend it to anyone/everyone I can. You have to be patient, though...it can take along time to break the habit of having your mind in a million different places and just physically go through the motions. I'm a very impatient person by nature and yoga has taught me to cultivate patience in many different areas of my life. It's an ongoing learning process, there's no finish line, and I love that.

There are few feelings that are better than the buzz after a good yoga class, where your body feels stretched but challenged and your mind clear.

Huge fan.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 06:52 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMakers View Post
Good thread.

Big guy here. Trying to get healthier as I approach 43. Cleaned up my diet and started swimming for 30 minutes each morning before work. Lost 25lbs over the last 4 weeks...

My wife says I'm food illiterate so cleaning up the diet has been a challenge. Learning about foods, how to prepare them, what to shop for, how to substitute fatty things for healthy things. She cooks most nights but I'm trying to learn and contribute since I'm kind of forcing the whole family to eat healthier.

Here's to keeping it going.
Really sound like you're doing a great job. It really helps if everyone in the house is operating under the same type of dietary concerns.

Old
06-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky

I started travelling for work a little more than a year ago and eat out a lot when I'm home, so it's been hard to eat well. As a result, I've gained back about 35 pounds. I'm getting close to my max weight again, which bums me out. Add to that, my back has been bothering me so it's hard to get back into a working out routine. But the back has been mending, and I'm getting more motivated, but it's hard. I'm hoping my back allows me to get back into more of a routine. I took a couple of months off from reffing and went back to it last week, and I was a hurting puppy, but am hoping I can continue with less and less soreness. Hoping it will lead to some weight loss too.

My girlfriend is going to help me with better cooking while I'm home too.

Glove Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 09:47 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove Malfunction View Post
I started travelling for work a little more than a year ago and eat out a lot when I'm home, so it's been hard to eat well. As a result, I've gained back about 35 pounds. I'm getting close to my max weight again, which bums me out. Add to that, my back has been bothering me so it's hard to get back into a working out routine. But the back has been mending, and I'm getting more motivated, but it's hard. I'm hoping my back allows me to get back into more of a routine. I took a couple of months off from reffing and went back to it last week, and I was a hurting puppy, but am hoping I can continue with less and less soreness. Hoping it will lead to some weight loss too.

Can she cook?

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Glove Malfunction
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Can she cook?
She made fish the other night that was really good. I haven't put her culinary talents to the test yet though, as we often go out to eat.

Glove Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 10:10 AM
BNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC8 View Post
Sounds like you are doing well and that makes me happy. Never would have thought about yoga. Also good point on push-ups. They really give you the spread in your chest.
I remember hearing once when Steve Kaspar was rehabbing a shoulder,he was up to 65 pushups. At the time I had no limit that I knew, and would do 3 sets of 100 and then finish with 10 one armed pushups on each arm. Could have done more. Then I heard that Joe Thornton had increased his bench to 225 and I'm thinking that I do 275-315 and he has 6 inches on me. I got to know Sean Coady (ex NHL scout/coach) from the gym and he gave me an off season Coyotes workout sheet,lots of running and lower body medium weights. I regularly saw Mike Sullivan,Ian Moran,Mike Mottau,Kevin Stevens,Patrick Leahy,Dan Paille and Billy Tibbetts at the gym during the season. Very unimpressive workouts. None of them were jacked like Seidenberg but they were all bellyless..

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 10:10 AM
patty59

Quote:

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 10:19 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove Malfunction View Post

Yes, eating out is a killer when you're trying to improve your eating habits. I quit going to fast food places regularly about 6-7 years ago, the food is just insanely fattening (a Big Mac has close to 2,000 calories. Just the Big Mac, not the fries & soda that come with it :shocked: ) If I go out to eat it is to a local restaurant and I try to order grilled stuff as often as possible ( I have a weakness for fried fish/clams though). I also try to bring as much of the meal home as I can for portion control purposes, restaurants are notorious for over loading the plate!

It's not easy though especially for someone like you who travels so much.

Old
06-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Kate08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Outstanding post

Looking hot, Kate
It's amazing what professional hair and makeup can do.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2016, 10:59 AM
RetiredWBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I remember hearing once when Steve Kaspar was rehabbing a shoulder,he was up to 65 pushups. At the time I had no limit that I knew, and would do 3 sets of 100 and then finish with 10 one armed pushups on each arm. Could have done more. Then I heard that Joe Thornton had increased his bench to 225 and I'm thinking that I do 275-315 and he has 6 inches on me. I got to know Sean Coady (ex NHL scout/coach) from the gym and he gave me an off season Coyotes workout sheet,lots of running and lower body medium weights. I regularly saw Mike Sullivan,Ian Moran,Mike Mottau,Kevin Stevens,Patrick Leahy,Dan Paille and Billy Tibbetts at the gym during the season. Very unimpressive workouts. None of them were jacked like Seidenberg but they were all bellyless..
That's ironic right? When I was 21, my friends and I would hang at the "Devils" bar and they were all pretty wiry up top but their thighs were oak trees. If you notice the work out numbers from the combine I used to kill that at 18, but no way had the stamina or skillset obviously. The first NHL'er I remember seeing super jacked was Rod Brind'mour. Seids is a tank.