HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets face it..offence isnt a problem with Koivu and Kovalev return...

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2006, 12:31 PM
LastChancePrice

vCash: 500
Lets face it..offence isnt a problem with Koivu and Kovalev return...

...we score 4 goals in each of our last 2 games, that should give us a win..but we lost both.

Goaltending is the problem! Fire Theo!

Last edited by LastChancePrice: 01-06-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM

I can count on my thumbs the times where Theodore has looked good this year...

Old
01-06-2006, 12:35 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL

10?

Old
01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
jcpenny

I have more problems with the Defense, they look lost outhere. Like the first goal yesterday, somebody should have put a stick in front of Elias. Im tired of seeing Bouillon play 20 mins. I know everybody loves him but when a guy like him logs 20 mins youre in big trouble. Its time to move foward and replace him with a defensman with size.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
I have more problems with the Defense, they look lost outhere. Like the first goal yesterday, somebody should have put a stick in front of Elias. Im tired of seeing Bouillon play 20 mins. I know everybody loves him but when a guy like him logs 20 mins youre in big trouble. Its time to move foward and replace him with a defensman with size.
I don't love him...I see him as a marginal #5/#6 defenseman.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:45 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I don't love him...I see him as a marginal #5/#6 defenseman.
I see him more like the perfect 7th D-man.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Mathletic

that's what I said after the Pitts game, 4 goals in the nhl is enough to win at least 7 games / 10

Old
01-06-2006, 12:48 PM
tmp1122

Quote:
How about somebody putting a body in front of a forward? Exactly what kinds of drills does Rick Green run in practice other than skating backwards from the blueline to the face-off dot?

Old
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Very true...I'm a hab fan but I don't feel sorry for him 1 bit. And I don't think he feels sorry for collecting his paycheck either, THAT'S the real problem.

Cap

Old
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp1122
How about somebody putting a body in front of a forward? Exactly what kinds of drills does Rick Green run in practice other than skating backwards from the blueline to the face-off dot?
Rick Green is the last person to criticize, he has done a great job with defenders that are lacking in talent.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
I see him more like the perfect 7th D-man.
Even better. Our defense:

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Dandenault ***
Komisarek
Bouillon ***
Streit ***

If we could somehow get rid of those 3 and get another top 4 guy (GOD do we ever need one) then this team would be in a lot better shape.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Even better. Our defense:

Markov
Souray
Rivet
Dandenault ***
Komisarek
Bouillon ***
Streit ***

If we could somehow get rid of those 3 and get another top 4 guy (GOD do we ever need one) then this team would be in a lot better shape.
True

Old
01-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
10?
what type of weird, 10 thumbed people do you know?

Theo has been far from his best this season, but he has had his moments, shame they are spaced so far apart. Although if anyone wants to go down the 'all goals conceeded are the fault of the goalie' route, my teams coach (a goalie) would have a few choice words for you. Its a team sport, success is acheived as a team and failure is taken as a team. On defence, Markov and Rivet have been solid for the most part (although Rivet was quite ill 2 weeks ago, dunno if thats still affecting him), komi and souray have both had their own personal problems off the ice which at times have affected them, bouillon has done his best, streit has struggled (at times) to adapt to the NHL and im at a loss to explain what has been happening with Dandenault. In short, we haven't had consistantly good defence from everyone.

Lately, when we have played high scoring games our defence as a team (including Theo) hasn't got the job done and our forwards just cant score enough, and then when the D do play well and we limit the score of the opposition, its our forwards who suddenly forget how to score. The team is all over the place at the moment, hopefully we will see our boys get it sorted out real soon. If not, benching guys who aren't getting their job done sounds like a plan to me. Maybe if people realise that a spot on the team isnt a guarantee and that effort and results have to be given and acheived, we will get a more consistant performance from the majority of our players.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
AH

We also scored three on a tough Carolina team on the road. There is no way we should have NOT come out with at least one point in that game.

This series of losses after the Ottawa game is sqarely on the goaltending of Huet/Theodore.

Old
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Capitano

Quote:
I agree, I don't think Green takes nearly as much criticism as he should. Honestly guys, I'm actually shocked that the media is so quiet there. At least I think it is. Living in Toronto I hear everything about how Pat Quinn tied his shoes at today's practice so I figure it's the same on the good side of the country

What gives? Is the media just accepting this form of "hockey"?

Cap

Old
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Rick Green is the last person to criticize, he has done a great job with defenders that are lacking in talent.
I don't see it.

Cap

Old
01-06-2006, 01:01 PM
tmp1122

Quote:
Where is the evidence of the great job he's doing? Even the great Kovalev makes an opposing defenseman look foolish only a small percentage of the time. Most of the time he gets angled harmlessly to the boards. How often do you see this from Montreal D?

Old
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Like we've been saying over and over again...you can't be successful over the long haul, when Francis Bouillon is logging 20 + minutes every game (last night he played 25:09, while Markov played 17:42 and Rivet 12:29)

He is not a regular player, plain and simple...If it weren't for the Habs, Francis Bouillon wouldn't be in the NHL, why is he not good enough for 29 NHL teams, but good enough to play top 3 minutes in Montreal

He's no better than a 7th/AHL #1 d-man...

Old
01-06-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
Very true...I'm a hab fan but I don't feel sorry for him 1 bit. And I don't think he feels sorry for collecting his paycheck either, THAT'S the real problem.

Cap
I personally think Theodore's life outside the rink is heavily influencing his performance on it...he's a butterfly reflex goalie, and his reflexes are way off and his reaction time is too slow...

Old
01-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Where is the evidence of the great job he's doing? Even the great Kovalev makes an opposing defenseman look foolish only a small percentage of the time. Most of the time he gets angled harmlessly to the boards. How often do you see this from Montreal D?
What is Rivet's skillset? Its not big, yet he's great positionnally and opposing players hate playing against him. Souray was nothing before coming here, now look at him, he's a legit top 4 guy and now that he's adjusted, he looks like the Souray of last year. Look at Markov, he's on his way to becoming a top 10 defender in the league. Hell, Bouillon has the talent to play nothing more then a top 4 role in the AHL, but with the right ice time, he's a solid 6th guy in the NHL. Dandenault still hasnt worked with him and Komisarek has baggage at the moment. I think the main criticism with Green is that he should work on his line changes, because 25 min to Bouillon is unacceptable.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:33 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Like we've been saying over and over again...you can't be successful over the long haul, when Francis Bouillon is logging 20 + minutes every game (last night he played 25:09, while Markov played 17:42 and Rivet 12:29)

He is not a regular player, plain and simple...If it weren't for the Habs, Francis Bouillon wouldn't be in the NHL, why is he not good enough for 29 NHL teams, but good enough to play top 3 minutes in Montreal

Ive said that once and got flammed for it.

Old
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Capitano

Quote:
What is Rivet's skillset? Its not big, yet he's great positionnally and opposing players hate playing against him. Souray was nothing before coming here, now look at him, he's a legit top 4 guy and now that he's adjusted, he looks like the Souray of last year. Look at Markov, he's on his way to becoming a top 10 defender in the league. Hell, Bouillon has the talent to play nothing more then a top 4 role in the AHL, but with the right ice time, he's a solid 6th guy in the NHL. Dandenault still hasnt worked with him and Komisarek has baggage at the moment. I think the main criticism with Green is that he should work on his line changes, because 25 min to Bouillon is unacceptable.
I never thought of it that way, makes sense. Bouillon has to be on the bench, I concur.

Cap

Old
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Ive said that once and got flammed for it.
Who cares, it's your opinion...I think it is a valid one!

Cap

Old
01-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
It's all opinion... I know, but.... I can't say that the Habs D are a bunch of misfits getting the job done.

I have railed on "Blown Play" Souray on other threads, no need to repeat myself...

Bottom line, are they getting better match after match or are they plateau'd at this level....?

I do not see much improvement game to game. That is where I see Rick Green's responsibility.

Old
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
paddy

Quote:

Yesterday and for the last few weeks, Bouillon has been floating out there and has been doing nothing but look for a big hit. He hasn’t been very good on defensive coverage and you see him more often then not on the ice when the other team scores. Bouillon lovers will see the hits and think: “Wow, if everyone can play like Bouillon! He hits and plays his soul out”. Yet they don’t see his overall play because of that perception. He does good things, but like you said, he wouldn’t be in the NHL if he wasn’t with the Habs (Remember, he was picked up by Nashville on waivers a few years ago and didn’t make their team then).

A lot of our problems on offense comes from the inability of our D corp to make a good transition and get the puck to a forward in full flight. They keep the puck too long or pass to their defensive partner, and by then the forwards are stopped and/or covered. Sometimes it’s the forwards not playing close enough to the D to give him passing options, but from what I’ve seen, the fault falls more on the D than the forwards most times. At any rate, there has to be better cohesion between the forwards and the defensemen to get a faster transition. Only problem is we lack skill on the backend…

Closed Thread