HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jiri Fischer v. Barret Jackman

View Poll Results: Fischer or Jackman
Fishcer 32 30.77%
Jackman 72 69.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 05:10 PM
pavel13

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Jiri Fischer v. Barret Jackman

Pick one, okay.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Epoch

I'll go with Barret Jackman.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Jackman.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:51 PM
pavel13

I'll have to stick my neck out and say that I voted for Fischer. I dont' want people to think, "well, everybody else voted for Jackman; I guess he's the best." (Remember the Asch experiment?) So to make the poll more fair, I will say that I voted for Fischer.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:22 PM
degroat*

The only way this would ever be credible is if the abundance of Wings fans and the few Blues fans on this board don't vote.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:30 PM
Jeff Goldblum

I go with Fischer. I love his game. Nothing wrong with Jackman, his is great too, but it all comes down to style preference for me. Can't go wrong with either one.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Robert Paulson*

I went with Jackman.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:20 PM
BEAUlieve

Send a message via MSN to BEAUlieve
Barret Jackman.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:27 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
The only way this would ever be credible is if the abundance of Wings fans and the few Blues fans on this board don't vote.
Which is why I feel all these private polls are not credible and only use the ones who reply for imput.

It was close but I voted for Jackman though I will probably be regretting it since it was more of a what's he done lately kind of thing.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I really do not like Jackman's game/attitude. Therefore, I chose Fischer. I think they will be comprable players in years to come.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:03 AM
degroat*

LOL... so you chose Fischer because you have a personal issue with Jackman? That's pretty damn stupid.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:20 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
LOL... so you chose Fischer because you have a personal issue with Jackman? That's pretty damn stupid.
He also prefers Mattias Timander before Derian hatcher since he has something against him. Also, I haven't checked the actual poll results, but you should actually try to avoid those, they really mean squat around here.

Anyway, despite his antics vs the Stars, I'm a huge Jackman fan so I'd pick him. However, Jiri Fischer has impressed me quite a ton lately as well, he's been a rock and has actually outplayed Derian Hatcher, Mattiue Schneider and Chris Chelios so far this season, coming out strong showing the injury has actually made him better rather then affect his play. Still prefer Jackman though, Jiri has to keep it up for a full season first.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:40 AM
pavel13

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Which is why I feel all these private polls are not credible and only use the ones who reply for imput.

It was close but I voted for Jackman though I will probably be regretting it since it was more of a what's he done lately kind of thing.
I considered making the poll public, but that might make the results even more skewed. If someone sees that Jackman has 60% of the vote, he's more likely to vote for Jackman. When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:42 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I considered making the poll public, but that might make the results even more skewed. If someone sees that Jackman has 60% of the vote, he's more likely to vote for Jackman. When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.
All you have to do to see the results before you vote is click VIEW RESULTS.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:45 AM
pavel13

Quote:
Is this what you are replying to:
Quote:
I really do not like Jackman's game/attitude. Therefore, I chose Fischer.
How is game/attitude a personal issue? If he'd said "I don't like Jackman's hair style, so I voted for Fischer," then your statement wouldn't be so stupid.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:47 AM
pavel13

Quote:
All you have to do to see the results before you vote is click VIEW RESULTS.
Read the last sentence once more.
Quote:
When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:07 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Read the last sentence once more.
I read it, thanks. And the reality is that when people can remain anonymous, people are more likely to be homers. Given the fact that there are considerably more Wings fans here than Blues fans (and I haven't even voted and do not plan to) you might as well take away a few of the votes for Fischer.

Personally, I think Super Joe has summed up my feelings quite nicely. I just don't even think they are on the same level right now. IMO, Salvador would be a better comparison for Fischer, but because the Wings get so much press and their fans overhype every single one of their players, some people have actually been convinced that Jackman and Fischer are on the same level.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:22 PM
pavel13

Quote:
I read it, thanks. And the reality is that when people can remain anonymous, people are more likely to be homers. Given the fact that there are considerably more Wings fans here than Blues fans (and I haven't even voted and do not plan to) you might as well take away a few of the votes for Fischer.

Personally, I think Super Joe has summed up my feelings quite nicely. I just don't even think they are on the same level right now. IMO, Salvador would be a better comparison for Fischer, but because the Wings get so much press and their fans overhype every single one of their players, some people have actually been convinced that Jackman and Fischer are on the same level.
No, when people are anonymous, they aren't afraid to say what they really think (homer pick or not). It's the truth. Ask a social psychologist. Don't even argue, you're wrong. Find me one study or experiment that states conclusively that anonymity doesn't increase truthfulness and I will consider that your statement isn't total crap.

I think that Fishcer is underrated by many because he plays behind Lidstrom, Chelios, Hatcher and Schneider. Many wings fans and others in the know realize that Fishcer was a big part of the reason that Chelios was a Norris finalist in 2003. But because he was injured the same year that Jackman won the Calder, Jackman is more recognizable. Using social psychology again, people vote for Jackman because of the availibility heuristic and the recency effect.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:24 PM
onearmedbandit14

I'd take Fischer personally, but both are very good young defenseman with a very physical side who will be good for many years to come. Of course, I am admittedly biased in this poll because of my love for the Wings and hatred of the Blues, and thus I didn't vote in the poll itself.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:27 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
You can still view the results before voting if the poll is private.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:55 PM
evman150*

Jiri Fischer.

Pretty easily.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:59 PM
pavel13

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
You can still view the results before voting if the poll is private.
I know, but if the poll is public people might think, "well if I vote for the loser, people will think _____ about me." Anonymity is important if you want to know what people really think.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
I know, but if the poll is public people might think, "well if I vote for the loser, people will think _____ about me." Anonymity is important if you want to know what people really think.
Well in this instance, I think weeding out the homers is pretty important to have a credible poll. In other examples, like the Havlat or Nagy one, I think the ones who voted for Nagy should be at least asked why. I don't think anyone would kill someone if they give their reasoning, I mean after all if they're going to be so outlandish they should at least do that.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
name

I picked Fischer. Although Jackman proved himself with a great season last year, I believe that Fischer's great playoff run the year prior was no fluke and his huge size is a rare commodity.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:26 PM
degroat*

Quote:
No, when people are anonymous, they aren't afraid to say what they really think (homer pick or not). It's the truth. Ask a social psychologist. Don't even argue, you're wrong. Find me one study or experiment that states conclusively that anonymity doesn't increase truthfulness and I will consider that your statement isn't total crap.

You're pretty damn funny. But, even more wrong. What you are referring to are studies about things where people would be embarrassed if people knew their true answers. For example: "Do you **********?"

This is nothing like that. This is more like asking someone rather they prefer McDonald's or Jack in the Box. I bet you couldn't find any experiment that proves that an anonymous poll would provide more accurate results.

There is no reason for anyone to be embarrassed for answering this question. I suspect that you are spewing this nonsense because you thought that people wouldn't vote for Fischer if people could see who they voted for. Unfortunately for you, anonymity didn't help your cause as Jackman still dominated the poll (especially when you take into consideration the biased votes such as yours and the votes of people who voted against Jackman because they don't like him).

Closed Thread