HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jiri Fischer v. Barret Jackman

View Poll Results: Fischer or Jackman
Fishcer 32 30.77%
Jackman 72 69.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2003, 05:10 PM
  #1
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Jiri Fischer v. Barret Jackman

Pick one, okay.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 05:22 PM
  #2
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
I'll go with Barret Jackman.

Epoch is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 05:47 PM
  #3
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina
Registered User
 
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: This space.
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,264
vCash: 500
Jackman.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 05:51 PM
  #4
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
I'll have to stick my neck out and say that I voted for Fischer. I dont' want people to think, "well, everybody else voted for Jackman; I guess he's the best." (Remember the Asch experiment?) So to make the poll more fair, I will say that I voted for Fischer.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:22 PM
  #5
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
The only way this would ever be credible is if the abundance of Wings fans and the few Blues fans on this board don't vote.

degroat* is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:30 PM
  #6
Jeff Goldblum
Registered User
 
Jeff Goldblum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,910
vCash: 500
I go with Fischer. I love his game. Nothing wrong with Jackman, his is great too, but it all comes down to style preference for me. Can't go wrong with either one.

Jeff Goldblum is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 06:47 PM
  #7
Robert Paulson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Happy Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 5,880
vCash: 500
I went with Jackman.

Robert Paulson* is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 07:20 PM
  #8
BEAUlieve
Registered User
 
BEAUlieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,642
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to BEAUlieve
Barret Jackman.

BEAUlieve is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 08:27 PM
  #9
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
The only way this would ever be credible is if the abundance of Wings fans and the few Blues fans on this board don't vote.
Which is why I feel all these private polls are not credible and only use the ones who reply for imput.

It was close but I voted for Jackman though I will probably be regretting it since it was more of a what's he done lately kind of thing.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 08:31 PM
  #10
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,942
vCash: 500
I really do not like Jackman's game/attitude. Therefore, I chose Fischer. I think they will be comprable players in years to come.

Enoch is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:03 AM
  #11
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
LOL... so you chose Fischer because you have a personal issue with Jackman? That's pretty damn stupid.

degroat* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:20 AM
  #12
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
LOL... so you chose Fischer because you have a personal issue with Jackman? That's pretty damn stupid.
He also prefers Mattias Timander before Derian hatcher since he has something against him. Also, I haven't checked the actual poll results, but you should actually try to avoid those, they really mean squat around here.

Anyway, despite his antics vs the Stars, I'm a huge Jackman fan so I'd pick him. However, Jiri Fischer has impressed me quite a ton lately as well, he's been a rock and has actually outplayed Derian Hatcher, Mattiue Schneider and Chris Chelios so far this season, coming out strong showing the injury has actually made him better rather then affect his play. Still prefer Jackman though, Jiri has to keep it up for a full season first.

Ajacied is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:40 AM
  #13
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
Which is why I feel all these private polls are not credible and only use the ones who reply for imput.

It was close but I voted for Jackman though I will probably be regretting it since it was more of a what's he done lately kind of thing.
I considered making the poll public, but that might make the results even more skewed. If someone sees that Jackman has 60% of the vote, he's more likely to vote for Jackman. When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:42 AM
  #14
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I considered making the poll public, but that might make the results even more skewed. If someone sees that Jackman has 60% of the vote, he's more likely to vote for Jackman. When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.
All you have to do to see the results before you vote is click VIEW RESULTS.

degroat* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:45 AM
  #15
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
LOL... so you chose Fischer because you have a personal issue with Jackman? That's pretty damn stupid.
Is this what you are replying to:
Quote:
I really do not like Jackman's game/attitude. Therefore, I chose Fischer.
How is game/attitude a personal issue? If he'd said "I don't like Jackman's hair style, so I voted for Fischer," then your statement wouldn't be so stupid.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:47 AM
  #16
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
All you have to do to see the results before you vote is click VIEW RESULTS.
Read the last sentence once more.
Quote:
When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 03:07 PM
  #17
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Read the last sentence once more.
I read it, thanks. And the reality is that when people can remain anonymous, people are more likely to be homers. Given the fact that there are considerably more Wings fans here than Blues fans (and I haven't even voted and do not plan to) you might as well take away a few of the votes for Fischer.

Personally, I think Super Joe has summed up my feelings quite nicely. I just don't even think they are on the same level right now. IMO, Salvador would be a better comparison for Fischer, but because the Wings get so much press and their fans overhype every single one of their players, some people have actually been convinced that Jackman and Fischer are on the same level.

degroat* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 03:22 PM
  #18
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I read it, thanks. And the reality is that when people can remain anonymous, people are more likely to be homers. Given the fact that there are considerably more Wings fans here than Blues fans (and I haven't even voted and do not plan to) you might as well take away a few of the votes for Fischer.

Personally, I think Super Joe has summed up my feelings quite nicely. I just don't even think they are on the same level right now. IMO, Salvador would be a better comparison for Fischer, but because the Wings get so much press and their fans overhype every single one of their players, some people have actually been convinced that Jackman and Fischer are on the same level.
No, when people are anonymous, they aren't afraid to say what they really think (homer pick or not). It's the truth. Ask a social psychologist. Don't even argue, you're wrong. Find me one study or experiment that states conclusively that anonymity doesn't increase truthfulness and I will consider that your statement isn't total crap.

I think that Fishcer is underrated by many because he plays behind Lidstrom, Chelios, Hatcher and Schneider. Many wings fans and others in the know realize that Fishcer was a big part of the reason that Chelios was a Norris finalist in 2003. But because he was injured the same year that Jackman won the Calder, Jackman is more recognizable. Using social psychology again, people vote for Jackman because of the availibility heuristic and the recency effect.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 04:24 PM
  #19
onearmedbandit14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 500
I'd take Fischer personally, but both are very good young defenseman with a very physical side who will be good for many years to come. Of course, I am admittedly biased in this poll because of my love for the Wings and hatred of the Blues, and thus I didn't vote in the poll itself.

onearmedbandit14 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 04:27 PM
  #20
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I considered making the poll public, but that might make the results even more skewed. If someone sees that Jackman has 60% of the vote, he's more likely to vote for Jackman. When people are anonymous, they are more likely to give their honest opinion.
You can still view the results before voting if the poll is private.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 04:55 PM
  #21
evman150*
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,457
vCash: 500
Jiri Fischer.

Pretty easily.

evman150* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:59 PM
  #22
pavel13
Registered User
 
pavel13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
You can still view the results before voting if the poll is private.
I know, but if the poll is public people might think, "well if I vote for the loser, people will think _____ about me." Anonymity is important if you want to know what people really think.

pavel13 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
  #23
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
I know, but if the poll is public people might think, "well if I vote for the loser, people will think _____ about me." Anonymity is important if you want to know what people really think.
Well in this instance, I think weeding out the homers is pretty important to have a credible poll. In other examples, like the Havlat or Nagy one, I think the ones who voted for Nagy should be at least asked why. I don't think anyone would kill someone if they give their reasoning, I mean after all if they're going to be so outlandish they should at least do that.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:11 PM
  #24
name
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
I picked Fischer. Although Jackman proved himself with a great season last year, I believe that Fischer's great playoff run the year prior was no fluke and his huge size is a rare commodity.

name is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:26 PM
  #25
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
No, when people are anonymous, they aren't afraid to say what they really think (homer pick or not). It's the truth. Ask a social psychologist. Don't even argue, you're wrong. Find me one study or experiment that states conclusively that anonymity doesn't increase truthfulness and I will consider that your statement isn't total crap.


You're pretty damn funny. But, even more wrong. What you are referring to are studies about things where people would be embarrassed if people knew their true answers. For example: "Do you **********?"

This is nothing like that. This is more like asking someone rather they prefer McDonald's or Jack in the Box. I bet you couldn't find any experiment that proves that an anonymous poll would provide more accurate results.

There is no reason for anyone to be embarrassed for answering this question. I suspect that you are spewing this nonsense because you thought that people wouldn't vote for Fischer if people could see who they voted for. Unfortunately for you, anonymity didn't help your cause as Jackman still dominated the poll (especially when you take into consideration the biased votes such as yours and the votes of people who voted against Jackman because they don't like him).

degroat* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.